Bangkok BTS Apologises For Guard's Clash With Irish Passenger

webfact

There is no way you or the Security Guard could know that.

The balloons were not filled with Hydrogen or Helium because, as you say, they fell to the ground when released; but that is definitely no evidence that they were filled with Air - there are a LOT of gases which are heavier than Air which are extremely combustible or toxic.

and there is no definite evidence to suggest they were filled with anything other than air either.......and so the let conspiracy theories continue...

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Helium not hydrogen is the way forward.

Good point!! The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas. Guards totally in the wrong for stopping him. Wonder if anyone tried explaining this to the guards, or if they have even thought about it?

Perhaps they could relax the rules about balloons by taking a sample of the gas before transitting through the gates?

They would however have to form another queue beside the people being strip searched for lighters. Extra training would also be required for the security, mainly in the form of self defence for when they search the passengers, and more to the point when they can defend themselves.

"Why not just confiscate people's lighters (and matches) ?? Or at a minimum, follow the rules completely, Nothing quite as flammable as a cigarette lighter! Makes it tough to set other flammable materials on fire with out a fire source.

How about patting everyone down before entrance to check for flammables?? Strip searches??"

You are having a laugh right?

• Like 1

Well, at least I just learned to never buy a filled balloon in Thailand. I never before imagined that anyone would put flammable gas into a balloon (unless he was trying to cause trouble). Geez, giving children such a dangerous thing is outrageous.

• Like 1

He said the fact that BTS has sent flowers to apologize for the scandal could not make up for it.

3) The BTS sent flowers and this loser still carries on and on. What a prat.

It was nice that the BTS appologiesed however not nessacary. Did he apoligise to the Gaurds he got fired? NOT

The BTS did not send flowers or aplogize out of the kindness of their hearts, as stated previously, I suspect the survellience tapes of the BST tapes have been reviewed and the truth is know and the BST is trying to smooth things over to prevent a law suit....the BST action speaks volumes as to what really happened.

Helium not hydrogen is the way forward.

Good point!! The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas. Guards totally in the wrong for stopping him. Wonder if anyone tried explaining this to the guards, or if they have even thought about it?

Had to have been filled with helium? How do you know that?

Exactly. The sign says no BALLOONS and does specify what kind of gas they are filled with. The foreigner was in the wrong and it does not matter what he got away with earlier in the day. Some arrogant foreigners seem to feel that they are entitled to not follow rules in Thailand because of their white skin.

You words are so right. Here is an example we can see, how the Farangs behave and think, they are entitled to step over rules and the Thai's have no rights to say anything to them. and if he says anything, then the Farang know just the way to attack and kick.

The most Irish people i met where nice, this must be an extraordinaire exception.

I can see that here on Samui daily, how rude Farangs are and without any respect to rules and laws.

This bloke is beating and kicking the security guard, which even lost his job. and why ? because he tried to do his duty and get kicked by this rude id...

this Farang should apology to the guard and BTS, not the other way !!!

The Irishman added not only did he sustain an injury and have to miss days of work, the incident also hurt his daughter's feeling who was at the scene.

He said the fact that BTS has sent flowers to apologize for the scandal could not make up for it.

1) Miss days off work? The guy should NEVER be allowed to work as a teacher again anywhere in the world. He clearly teaches that the laws don't matter.

HOW THE HELLL CAN HE STILL HAVE A JOB TEACHING ???????

Thailand lets anyone in to teach. Only a few schools require degrees, or police background checks, or even a dash of expected professional behavior.

"Which begs thr most obvious question, how can anyone be allowed to sell inflammable gas in balloons. Helium not hydrogen is the way forward."

Really I just cannot see them using Hydrogen? I just seams crazy...

Can I really go out an buy Hydrogen filled balloon in Bangkok?

"Which begs thr most obvious question, how can anyone be allowed to sell inflammable gas in balloons. Helium not hydrogen is the way forward."

Really I just cannot see them using Hydrogen? I just seams crazy...

Can I really go out an buy Hydrogen filled balloon in Bangkok?

lets not let the facts get in the way of good story old chap....nobody has said said balloons were filled with hydrogen....its just the old whinger, conspiracy theorist making things up as they go along

The balloons were not filled with Hydrogen or Helium because, as you say, they fell to the ground when released; but that is definitely no evidence that they were filled with Air - there are a LOT of gases which are heavier than Air which are extremely combustible or toxic.

and there is no definite evidence to suggest they were filled with anything other than air either.......and so the let conspiracy theories continue...

No it does not continue, the guard says stop YOU STOP. What the hell is wrong with people try to be smart? Make some common sense first. This is not personal but I see many write in this style, like ther should be a evidence first if a guard does his job. This clearly shows many farang feel much better then other people even if they are guests in ther country. Shame on you.

• Like 1

This man is a teacher, so that means he must be well educated, but a good education and common sense don't neccessary go together. I mention common sense because the guards probably could not speak English. In any country where there are Muslims around, you can't blame the security guards for being over protective. I have lived in Thailand for seven years, and I have never had a problem with any security guard, or policeman, and yes, I do drive.

As for notices in the BTS stations, I have read that you should give up your seats to children and monks, there is no way I would do that, these people are as capable of standing as I am, but I haven't seen any notices about balloons. This teacher should have realised that the security guards were only protecting the public. As for the voilence, only witnesses can decide.

I think that anyone who's lived here more than a few months knows getting irate in a situation like that in Thailand, in public, is not going to come out in your favor. No offense to the security guards, but they weren't hired for having the mental capacity to make judgement calls in cases like that, deciding that Behan's balloons weren't most likely NOT going to be used in a terroristic manner, especially given the fact his daughter was right there with him.

They are told "no flammables" and then follow the rules, regardless. I know, I've been stopped for trying to carry rubber cement once and another time engine cleaner. Once just took the bus home because I was only a few stops away. The other, I beg and pleaded, in Thai, to let me on, the canisters were sealed, etc... No joy! Frustrated, I just left the cans on his little table and walked into the station.

I feel sorry for Behan, but from the video, he was getting hostile with them, and they were following the rules, technically.

But I want to pose a question: Why not just confiscate people's lighters (and matches) ?? Or at a minimum, follow the rules completely, Nothing quite as flammable as a cigarette lighter! Makes it tough to set other flammable materials on fire with out a fire source.

How about patting everyone down before entrance to check for flammables?? Strip searches??

Funny thing about this incident is that the MRT checks my bag every time, but I've never had my bag checked on the BTS, granted I don't use it that often.

So, just to be clear, the guards are so concerned about the safety of the passengers they refuse entrance to someone carrying balloons, but let anyone with a bag on their back carry whatever they want onto the trains?? And don't stop people from bringing highly flammable lighters as well??

I think all these security measures are just another example of how the "powers that be" want to give the public the appearance of safety, when in reality they only inconvenience, unnecessarily, the public they are trying to protect, and doing that without really adding any additional security. And this is not a problem exclusive to this country, but have become pervasive throughout the world.

What are the chances of a lighter exploding while it's one's pocket, mate???

Rule 1 in Thailand.........don't lose your temper

No one can excuse the assault with a metal detector, but we all must take responsibility for ourselves here. This guy should have known better than to lose his rag............it always, always ends badly.

Whilst I totally agree that it is a bad idea to lose your temper ANYWHERE, I am constantly amused by the so called Thai experts who keep quoting this so called number one rule specifically about Thailand.

Tell it to the Thais mate!

I regularly see Thais going ballistic at each other even when sober, and God help us when they're drunk! You're lucky if they don't kill each other!

Then start watching Thai soap operas and see if you can find one where the Thais are not going ballistic at each other!

So keep giving us all this sound advice, but as I say, go tell it to the Thais also.

Telling it to Thais is pointless though. It's not going to change. They already know that their fellow Thais can suddenly explode in a violent rage, with years of repressed anger bursting forth like a hurricane. It's foreigners who need to understand how things are.

No it does not continue, the guard says stop YOU STOP. What the hell is wrong with people try to be smart? Make some common sense first. This is not personal but I see many write in this style, like ther should be a evidence first if a guard does his job. This clearly shows many farang feel much better then other people even if they are guests in ther country. Shame on you.

"This clearly shows many farang feel much better then other people even if they are guests in ther country. Shame on you."

What does that actually mean and what point are you trying to make - guests in a country should not "feel better" than other people. I'm sorry but I think the majority of tourists are here to have a good time, I guess they should all go about in a state of abject depression lest someone think they might be happier than a resident of the country?

"the guard says stop YOU STOP"

And if the guard says jump, you jump?

OK.....I've had enough of this hot air!! I want to spend my time in Thailand complaining about things that I can't do anything about, such as being double charged, called farang and political issues!! and now this guy come's along from \ kids party and starts world war 3 with a balloon, I mean, jeez!! What am I supposed to do now????

It's outrageous!! I have been in 470 BTS in the world and every single one of them has a sign outside saying........welcome to the BTS, no balloons allowed!!......and this guy,THIS GUY........he just marches right in with highly dangerous balloons and starts a fight with those poor innocent guards!!

DOES HE NOT KNOW THAT BALLOONS ARE A WELL KNOWN WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION!!!..........that was the first phone call to George W after the Iraq invasion......." Mr President, we can't find any nukes or chemical weapons, but we did find 2 dozen pink party balloons"......that find justified the entire Iraq war........

I think this guy should get life in jail.........he's obviously deranged and highly dangerous, and very clever too.......using his 6 year old cute little daughter as a decoy for his diabolical plan.......the guard shot have hit him harder. He's a very naughty boy.

The balloons were filled with air and not with an inflammable gas because they fell to ground at one point in the video and didn't disappear into the sky.

• Like 1

I think that anyone who's lived here more than a few months knows getting irate in a situation like that in Thailand, in public, is not going to come out in your favor. No offense to the security guards, but they weren't hired for having the mental capacity to make judgement calls in cases like that, deciding that Behan's balloons weren't most likely NOT going to be used in a terroristic manner, especially given the fact his daughter was right there with him.

They are told "no flammables" and then follow the rules, regardless. I know, I've been stopped for trying to carry rubber cement once and another time engine cleaner. Once just took the bus home because I was only a few stops away. The other, I beg and pleaded, in Thai, to let me on, the canisters were sealed, etc... No joy! Frustrated, I just left the cans on his little table and walked into the station.

I feel sorry for Behan, but from the video, he was getting hostile with them, and they were following the rules, technically.

But I want to pose a question: Why not just confiscate people's lighters (and matches) ?? Or at a minimum, follow the rules completely, Nothing quite as flammable as a cigarette lighter! Makes it tough to set other flammable materials on fire with out a fire source.

How about patting everyone down before entrance to check for flammables?? Strip searches??

Funny thing about this incident is that the MRT checks my bag every time, but I've never had my bag checked on the BTS, granted I don't use it that often.

So, just to be clear, the guards are so concerned about the safety of the passengers they refuse entrance to someone carrying balloons, but let anyone with a bag on their back carry whatever they want onto the trains?? And don't stop people from bringing highly flammable lighters as well??

I think all these security measures are just another example of how the "powers that be" want to give the public the appearance of safety, when in reality they only inconvenience, unnecessarily, the public they are trying to protect, and doing that without really adding any additional security. And this is not a problem exclusive to this country, but have become pervasive throughout the world.

What are the chances of a lighter exploding while it's one's pocket, mate???

Not wanting to nit pick but actually have had a box of matches "explode" in my pocket whilst running up a flight of stairs. One of the matches managed to strike itself between my jeans and the box and my pocket burst into flames with a whoosh. I ended up trouser-less,with singed balls and burnt fingers, feeling a tad stupid and unlucky that such a thing could have happened.

I realize that this is probably a rare occurrence but possible non the less and probably much more likely than someone initiating a terror campaign with his daughter and a few balloons...

Rule 1 in Thailand.........don't lose your temper

No one can excuse the assault with a metal detector, but we all must take responsibility for ourselves here. This guy should have known better than to lose his rag............it always, always ends badly.

Whilst I totally agree that it is a bad idea to lose your temper ANYWHERE, I am constantly amused by the so called Thai experts who keep quoting this so called number one rule specifically about Thailand.

Tell it to the Thais mate!

I regularly see Thais going ballistic at each other even when sober, and God help us when they're drunk! You're lucky if they don't kill each other!

Then start watching Thai soap operas and see if you can find one where the Thais are not going ballistic at each other!

So keep giving us all this sound advice, but as I say, go tell it to the Thais also.

Not sure what country you're from Nod, but the country I come from do a very good impersonation of the Thai's in the above interpretation, and as for the television; judge for yourself what crap they air.

Does anybody know what "Soda Fai" is? I interviewed a balloon vendor here in Chiang Rai. He had one of those gas generators that looked like a house stove. He said he uses "Soda Fai" to generate the gas he uses for balloons. I am not sure if that was calcium carbide.

I think when the truth comes out there will be a lot of foolish looking people on this forum. Quite frankly the racism and ignorance I have read surrounding this incident is disgusting. The video only shows the aftermath of an incident in which the victim was violently assaulted, with a metal baton, by the BTS security guard. The CCTV surveilance footage, if released, confirms that the victim (whilst carrying balloons) was assaulted. There was no violence of any kind by the victim preceding this incident, just an argument about balloons, which is proved by the evidence on the CCTV. The victim has been offered compensation by the BTS and apologised to.

The victim is a well respected, educated professional, who made a mistake trying to take balloons onto the BTS, his reaction in the video is understandable considering what happened to him.

Those of you who have contributed to the racist and negative abuse of this person should be ashamed. What would your reaction be if you were smashed in the face with a baton during an argument about balloons, infront of your daughter?

• Like 2