Bangkok BTS Apologises For Guard's Clash With Irish Passenger

webfact

I am not going to go into more detail, but I know the people involved. I know what happened. I know what the CCTV footage contained, and i know the victim was assaulted during a VERBAL argument. And I have sat reading the most disgusting comments about this incident, on here and on youtube.

If you payed attention to the woman who recorded the camera footage, you will know that she said she started filming after witnessing the assault.

Unfortunately even CCTV footage wouldn't convince some, as many apparently think that getting a verbal argument with a Thai is license for them to bash you upside the head.

And I regret reading some of the youtube comments, especially some of the Thai ones, some horrible comments and not just at this specific guy but all foreigners.

Exactly. Well youtube comments always seem to degenerate into something racist and disgusting no matter what the subject matter is, but yeah...it was pretty depressing reading. a LOT of ignorantly directed anger. This forum isnt much better....once again...before you judge people ask yourself what you would do if you were hit in the face with a metal baton during an argument over balloons, infront of your daughter...

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Step back for a minute. What would be your reaction if standing in the subway car with you was a man with volatile explosives? Would you be concerned? Would you wonder how such a man got on the subway? Would you consider the man to be an ignorant or selfish imbecile to be walking about with explosives that could easily detonate causing serious injuries to innocent bystanders?

The fact of the matter is that this Irishman wasn't thinking about the safety of others and was willing to bring what was most likely hydrogen filled ballons into a small space filled with people. Some of you would have another view had the balloons exploded in the subway car burning and disfiguring people.

Exactly. Well youtube comments always seem to degenerate into something racist and disgusting no matter what the subject matter is, but yeah...it was pretty depressing reading. a LOT of ignorantly directed anger. This forum isnt much better....once again...before you judge people ask yourself what you would do if you were hit in the face with a metal baton during an argument over balloons, infront of your daughter...

How about if the Irishman's balloons exploded inflicting serious injuries on his daughter? What do you think is worse, the man being stopped from a dangerous act or in being allowed to put his daughter at serious risk of physical harm? Seems to me, that the fellow is a few cards short of a full deck. It begs the question as to why he is allowed to be near students.

Step back for a minute. What would be your reaction if standing in the subway car with you was a man with volatile explosives? Would you be concerned? Would you wonder how such a man got on the subway? Would you consider the man to be an ignorant or selfish imbecile to be walking about with explosives that could easily detonate causing serious injuries to innocent bystanders?

The fact of the matter is that this Irishman wasn't thinking about the safety of others and was willing to bring what was most likely hydrogen filled ballons into a small space filled with people. Some of you would have another view had the balloons exploded in the subway car burning and disfiguring people.

Despite all that paranoid hype of the world ending in a flash, that did not happen and the guy was beaten up instead. The BTS people apologized, but you still want blood from the farang? Balloons... teacher... students... isn't that a bit of a reach?

Edited by Reasonableman
  • Like 1

Wait a minute! Was he carrying balloos or an M16. Judging from most of the comments I'd imagine it was the latter.

Ever seen a hydrogen balloon explode? Here's an example. Now imagine a few balloons exploding. When you are burnt, the pain is excruciating and you often linger for days or weeks as your burnt tissue leaks out fluids and you dehydrate, become infected and succumb to cardiac arrest.

To me the Irish guy is way out of order,all that commotion, & violence in front of his young daughter,over a few balloons .A breatherlyser reading would have been interesting.

This sort of loutish behavior may be acceptable in Ireland, but certainly not in Thailand.I am very surprised BTS apologised.

Bases on the actions taken by the BTS company, it would appear even they disagree with your "in depth analysis" of the situation....."very suprised".....it only takes someone with more than two brain cells between their ears to come to the realisation that the BTS have apologised because they have accepted the responsibility and "blame" for the conduct of the guard, and are currently undertaking damage control in an attempt to stop their ar*es being sued.

On the subject of breathlyser's Why only subject the farang to this test ?......how do we know that Ex-corporal Somchai had not been on the Lao Kho prior to the incident ?

Another example of a Farang with a superiority complex in Thailand.

It doesn't matter what the rules or laws are, or how ridiculous they may seem.. you are not exempt just because you perceive yourself to be more intelligent, more wealthy or of a higher social status.

A week in jail would serve as a quick reminder what your social status is if you break the rules!

What are you talking about? the victim of this assualt wasnt arrogantly thinking that he can break the rules, he was arguing about his daughters balloons, verbally, and then got violently assualted. everything after that was an instinctual reaction, which was remarkably restrained considering.

I have seen the NO BALLOON signs many times and while I do find them amusing and really dont see the need for it. Thats the way it is. If you have balloons and just HAVE to transport them to your home just take a taxi or explain to your kid that you cant take them on the train. Not get in a fight with security over it. Come on get a grip

Despite all that paranoid hype of the world ending in a flash, that did not happen and the guy was beaten up instead. The BTS people apologized, but you still want blood from the farang? Balloons... teacher... students... isn't that a bit of a reach?

Look at the video I posted of the exploding balloon. Now tell me again, you don't have an issue with someone bringing on an explosive substance that can maim and kill. What would be your reaction if the balloons had exploded burning people? The guards intervention could very well have saved lives. We won't know because the man was prevented from putting the lives of innocent people at risk.

Wait a minute! Was he carrying balloos or an M16. Judging from most of the comments I'd imagine it was the latter.

Ever seen a hydrogen balloon explode? Here's an example. Now imagine a few balloons exploding. When you are burnt, the pain is excruciating and you often linger for days or weeks as your burnt tissue leaks out fluids and you dehydrate, become infected and succumb to cardiac arrest.

the pain is excruciating and you often linger for days or weeks as your burnt tissue leaks out fluids and you dehydrate, become infected and succumb to cardiac arrest. clap2.gif

I replayed it, but didn't see that part. In that case, the M16 looks positively benign; he should carry one of those next time. Likelihood of this occurring? Molehills vs mountains?

Perspective and dimension? Rationality? Where on earth did these functions go in some of these posts?

The balloons had to have been filled with helium, which is an inert gas.

The balloons were filled with air. At 0:54 in the video the balloons are released and fall to the ground...no helium, no hydrogen, plain atmospheric air!

Now I don't wish to appear rude to the average Thai security guard but seriously, how many of you out there honestly think he/she is going to have any idea what inert means? or for that matter know what the effects of these various gases would have on said balloons?

I have to say if they are going to have this security it needs to be enforced properly. I don't like the hassle of being searched on the MRT but I do understand it. What I do not understand is the arbitrary security elsewhere. The big shops at Siam Sq always seem to have security on one door but not on another, why bother?

You do realize that you are having a really deep debate about the inside of balloons?

Regardless of what gas was used to inflate the balloons, it is the balloons that are the issue, not the gas.

• Like 1

With regards to the balloons (and the video posted above), the balloons the guy had were not hydrogen, or helium, or any other 'lighter than air' gas. In the cam video of the incident, the guy throws the balloons, and they fell, never floated away, so I would suspect it was filled with air, or other inert gas.

One of the rules for no balloons (according to my wife) is not due to the gas held in the balloon, but the noise it makes when somebody pops them on the BTS. The sound can confused with a gunshot, or a bomb causing mass panic.

• Like 1

you are not exempt just because you perceive yourself to be more intelligent, more wealthy or of a higher social status.

A week in jail would serve as a quick reminder what your social status is if you break the rules!

I susepct the vast majority of Thai Hi-so's, senior military/customs/ police/immigration/goverment ministers would disagree with this statement

What are you talking about? the victim of this assualt wasnt arrogantly thinking that he can break the rules, he was arguing about his daughters balloons, verbally, and then got violently assualted. everything after that was an instinctual reaction, which was remarkably restrained considering.

What is the basis for your statement that he was only arguing verbally?

I find it very very difficult to imagine that scenario and reckon he probably though he could just bluff his way through and kept going after clearly being told to stop.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what the rules or laws are, or how ridiculous they may seem.. you are not exempt just because you perceive yourself to be more intelligent, more wealthy or of a higher social status.

No, the man was intent on putting the safety of others at risk. How can you defend a man seeking to bring highly explosive material into a a high density contained area? You ould have a different view if he was standing next to your child and the balloons exploded leaving your child badly injured.

the pain is excruciating and you often linger for days or weeks as your burnt tissue leaks out fluids and you dehydrate, become infected and succumb to cardiac arrest. clap2.gif

I replayed it, but didn't see that part. In that case, the M16 looks positively benign; he should carry one of those next time. Likelihood of this occurring? Molehills vs mountains?

Perspective and dimension? Rationality? Where on earth did these functions go in some of these posts?

Tell you what, disprove me. Assemble some hydrogen filled balloons and ignite them in close proximity to your face. Let me know if you are burnt. You can also report back on if you are burnt, if you feel anything, assuming of course you can still see as typically, blinding injury occurs with a close proximity hydrogen gas explosion.

Edited by geriatrickid

No, the man was intent on putting the safety of others at risk. How can you defend a man seeking to bring highly explosive material into a a high density contained area? You ould have a different view if he was standing next to your child and the balloons exploded leaving your child badly injured.

What are you taking about ?...what highly explosive material ?......

When will Thais learn that a transfer is not a suitable punishment.

The actual punishment is everyone knowing about your punishment. Losing face here is much more severe than money or even jail time - if the jail time could be kept truly secret, most Thais would prefer than everyone finding out about their punishment.

I've seen Thais give up a **lot** of money rather than lose face, some seem to prefer death.

How about if the Irishman's balloons exploded inflicting serious injuries on his daughter? What do you think is worse, the man being stopped from a dangerous act or in being allowed to put his daughter at serious risk of physical harm? Seems to me, that the fellow is a few cards short of a full deck. It begs the question as to why he is allowed to be near students.

im presuming this is a joke. we are talking about balloons, not explosives

• Like 1

Tell you what, disprove me. Assemble some hydrogen filled balloons and ignite them in close proximity to your face. Let me know if you are burnt. You can also report back on if you are burnt, if you feel anything, assuming of course you can still see as typically, blinding injury occurs with a close proximity hydrogen gas explosion.

Prove to me that the balloons in question contained Hydrogen, Acetylene or some other explosive/flammable gas, Sarin gas or any other nerve agents...

WoW imaginations are really running wild now, and I suppose because the guy concerned is Irish he worked for a secret cell of the IRA who have their head office in Bangkok's Soi Nana...

you guys really need to get back on your meds

• Like 2

How about you do it first and report back. Thanks, GK.

There is zero evidence of the evil or antisocial intent you suggest. It appears he merely wants to take the balloons and his daughter onto the train. Is he now a terrorist and vicious criminal who should be extradited and banned from teaching forever, as some have said? Where is there a shred of evidence for that?

People... watch the youtube video.. you will realize these are not hydrogen, or helium balloons. They are your run of the mill, air filled balloons. They don't float when dropped or thrown (as shown in the video).

What is the basis for your statement that he was only arguing verbally?

I find it very very difficult to imagine that scenario and reckon he probably though he could just bluff his way through and kept going after clearly being told to stop.

so you find it very very difficult to imagine one scenario, but can all too easily imagine another one?

the basis for my statement is that i know the people involved, and i know what happened.

Unfortunately even CCTV footage wouldn't convince some, as many apparently think that getting a verbal argument with a Thai is license for them to bash you upside the head.

And I regret reading some of the youtube comments, especially some of the Thai ones, some horrible comments and not just at this specific guy but all foreigners.

I would not be too concerned about comments on YouTube, CNN.com, ThaiVisa and the internet in general. These channels are just being abused by trash talkers, "sticks and stones". People on the street are fortunately much different and in general, polite and rational (with exceptions as the one under scrutiny here). If the Thai channels are now filled with obnoxious, racist, generalizing or generally false accounts, well, it only shows that "them" and "us" are not that different!

With no disrespect to the 20% of rational individuals writing on TV, I have to say that I am very happy (and not the least bit surprised) that none of the fine individuals in real life that I call my friends, whatever the nationality, spends any significant amount on time writing about their own moral circus on an internet discussion board (and since I do, I'm honoured that they consider me their friend).

Surely "Animal Farm" should be recommended reading for adults, too.

• Like 1

People... watch the youtube video.. you will realize these are not hydrogen, or helium balloons. They are your run of the mill, air filled balloons. They don't float when dropped or thrown (as shown in the video).

That's only because he'd cunningly inserted some lead pellets into the balloons before sealing them. Those Irish, I tell ya! dry.png

• Like 1