Deep South

phuketsub

I was wondering if anyone has travelled around the Deep South (Yala, Pattani, Naratiwat) recently. If so, do you think it is safe? I would like to visit and really want to know if it is as bad as they make it out to be. I have never heard of a foreign tourist being targetted by insurgents, and given the road chaos here in Phuket who knows? It might be safer down there....

As you say OP, there have never been any incidents involving westerners down there. I wouldn't hesitate going there on business or transitting, but for fun?? Stopping at a gasstation because you want to take a leak, and then finding the bathroom locked because they are afraid somebody might leave a bomb in there. A lady living in Ruso, Narathiwat, told me hearing gun shots doesn't draw anybody's attention anymore. Probably somebody just practicing or celebrating, but not so good for your peace of mind and your carefree holiday mood.

A pity though. Back in 1992 I spent a couple of very nice days in Narathiwat Town. Not many westerners there, and the people were so eager to talk to me, that finally I took refuge in a coffeeshop in the most expensive hotel in town, just to be alone for a little while for a change. I also have very nice memories of Betong, in Yala province at the Malaysian border, which had and maybe still has a lively Malaysian oriented nightlife.

I think you should just go for it and try not to be too flashy, i.e. I wouldn't go blasting around in a red Lamborghini if you know what I mean........

Although not "deep south" I was in Trang fairly recently, Muslim population there and no worries, everyone nice and smiling.

I think the main issue in this area is the Thai occupation of what was once the Sultanate of Pattani, and it seems the Thais are constantly strong arming these people, tend to constantly use military force. It has just become, you punch me, I punch you scenario, no end in sight. Point being I think they are more apt to be targeting Thais than tourists.

Although not "deep south" I was in Trang fairly recently, Muslim population there and no worries, everyone nice and smiling.

There have never been any problems in the southern Andaman coast provinces Trang and Satun, only at the other coast: Pattani and Narathiwat, and also in Yala and Songhkla provinces. Even some embassy websites have that wrong.

Edited by keestha

Not worth going there. Its relatively really dangerous. You never heard about farangs getting hurt , because no farangs are going down there. Thais themselves are trying their best not to come across those provinces, let alone the farangs.

Not worth going there. Its relatively really dangerous. You never heard about farangs getting hurt , because no farangs are going down there. Thais themselves are trying their best not to come across those provinces, let alone the farangs.

I was in Hadyai Three years ago, and felt safer there than i do in patong

People very friendly and hardly any police around

The three bomb blasts today in the shopping area of Yala Town may change some minds.

At least 8 killed, hundreds injured!

Nothing to stop it happening here, i have never seen anyone stopped

at the security check point coming onto the island, plenty of tourists here

like Bali, Its a internal conflict they are not after Tourists they want to

be independent