Should I Do It

joey88tc

my 2 cents...

Joey could very well save about $10k a year living in LOS after he learns the ropes. Thus growing his nest egg much quicker than I assume he could in the US.

Re. pension, given the global crisis and the sheer number of people retiring abroad, governments won't see this positively as the money isn't recirculated locally to support the economy. At some point they will probably do something about this... any articles about this possibility in EU or US? (and if new rules would be implemented retroactively?)

I personally retired to Laos 5 years ago at age 38, without enough for 30-40 years but I don't regret it as I am really happy with the experience and I now live with my partner in the house I built last year about 15 miles outside the capital.

As to retiring early, and this is just my experience, I really enjoyed my five years here and happy I left the US/Europe but find myself quite bored now that I reached my objectives here (wife/partner, house, language, understanding the culture, a few good buddies etc...) and I don't see myself content with internet, movies, TV and a couple of beers everyday for the next 30 years!

So I'll be looking at other avenues / opportunities while knowing that my partner is totally cool with me being away for several months at a time as we live with her family and she enjoys taking care of her mom.

I guess that sums it up, and as previously noted it takes a while to grasp the culture and find a lifestyle that works for you here (SEA), probably 2-3 years (I've noticed most people who leave not to return do so after quite a long time, 3-4 years on average - just my observation) so even though you mentioned a leave of absence was denied, maybe finding a way to live here a reasonable amount of time, say 1 year, would be very helpful in making an informed decision. (you could also travel around SEA and compare, the Visa issue in LOS can be a pain for some, although 4 years until reaching retirement visa age isn't so long as stated previously)

In any case, if I were sick and tired of my job after 17 years, was in good health @46YO and longed for a specific place to go to, I'd take the risk, especially with monthly payments of $2,200 + $1,000 @62. I'm living with a quarter of that and not worried a bit, faced between being bored and finding a fun way to generate extra income I know I'll move my ass; that's just me and I plan to enjoy myself while I can while maintaining some long term security which you obviously have! (don't pensions get adjusted to inflation?)

Good luck to you, keep us updated and you're welcome to come say hi if you do a Visa run to Laos.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course you can do it , thats 50k baht monthly , you can live like a king on that here .

no you cant!!!!!!!!!

thais can foreigners cannot!!!!!

cheechoo, there are plenty of expats who live on less than 50k a month...

and plenty of thais who live on less than 10k...

Somewhere in between and a bit of creativity could take you a long way ;-)

tell us a bit more about you and how you spend your dough!

Edited by hopdafru

It can be done, but just don't expect to buy very much other than necessities. If you are willing to live in a simple Thai hotel and eat mostly Thai food you can easily live on 45,000 baht a month. You could also afford to buy a Honda scooter on that much money by saving a little bit and NOT buy anything on time. Bank or financing Interest is what kills you.

DO IT.

<deleted>, sounds like you love Thailand.

I'm 45 now and made the decision nearly 20 years ago. Never looked back. I hated working on an oil rig. I can't even imagine how your work might affect your mental and physical health.

I've met many guys and some friends who slave their asses off and are miserable. Many came here eventually when they were old and died not long after. What a waste of a life, saving up for it with a constant fear of financial insecurity, and then dying.

I can't believe people are telling you to work more. You can always do a bit of work here.

Financially you have plenty. Even if you run short - spend 6 months in a temple

• Like 1

I'd say go for it.

But a guy that's been living on X dollars a year is going to have a big adjustment to lifestyle living of 1/3- 1/2 of X dollars, even in a low cost nation, which Thailand (for expats) ain't.

Question #1 is "can you make the lifestyle and budget adjustment before you go broke?" Only you can answer that one.

Question #2 is "what's it going to cost to get set up with a home, furniture, computer, TV, transportation etc that YOU'RE going to be happy with?"

Question #3 is "what are your legacy expenses like credit card debt, life insurance, health insurance that you'll be bringing with you?"

Question #4 is "what's it going to cost the first few years to stay legal in Thailand with visa runs, etc.

Before taking anyone's word on their monthly expenses, ask them how much it cost to get themselves set up where they're happy with their situation and are they content with their lot in life.

Remember that (almost) all vacation spots look better when you're actually on vacation and on a vacation budget...

If I were in your situation, I'd be looking toward an in-country alternative, but that's just me. There are a zillion alternatives between staying miserable in a job you hate and packin' up your stuff and leaving the country.

Edited by impulse

You are aware that for a 'Retirement Visa' you need a pension of 65000THB a month ... OR Lump Sum in a bank here of 800,000THB of you can mix the two to get 800,000THB/Yr equivalent. You look a bit tight.

It's a pity that you have come here so often in the last few years ... could have saved a bit more ... why not get some sort of job in the US for a couple of years then you would have a bit more cash and be nearer 'Retirement Visa' age. Still you could marry an Essan Babe and that would make things financially better ... or maybe financially worse whistling.gif

Of course you can do it , thats 50k baht monthly , you can live like a king on that here .

no you cant!!!!!!!!!

thais can foreigners cannot!!!!!

cheechoo, there are plenty of expats who live on less than 50k a month...

and plenty of thais who live on less than 10k...

Somewhere in between and a bit of creativity could take you a long way ;-)

tell us a bit more about you and how you spend your dough!

I'm living on less than that, not like a king, but I have a young wife and children.

Jump now and don't look back.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

<Never had children and i am waiting to start my life>

I hope that doesn't mean that you think life begins with kids. I think you've been fortunate not to have any.

<and take my time to hopefully meet a nice lady>

After 25 visits I hope you know all the pitfalls of marrying a Thai lady.

However, you'd have to stay here on tourist visas till you turn 50 and can get a retirement non O visa.

If you can stand it, the more money you can earn before retiring the better- I know.

It can be done, but just don't expect to buy very much other than necessities. If you are willing to live in a simple Thai hotel and eat mostly Thai food you can easily live on 45,000 baht a month. You could also afford to buy a Honda scooter on that much money by saving a little bit and NOT buy anything on time. Bank or financing Interest is what kills you.

Luxury! You can live comfortably on 15,000 a month by yourself. It's the women that make it expensive.