Health Insurance

tropico

You won't get much health cover for only 12,000 baht/year. Depends on you age but you would be looking at much much more than that for a quality health care cover. Best of luck.

How much are we talking about? I have a friend who has an insurance with BUPA and it's about 16000 Baht/year.

It really depend on age. I pay about 15k with BUPA and my wife(1 yr older and next pricing bracket) pays about 17K. We are in our 30's. The prices jump quite a bit with age, but if you are mid thirties or below, 15K is totally feasible.

Well I am 70 and the cheapest I would be able to get would be about $1,660 U. S..

I really don't think you are going to find any thing that is decent for under 30,000 baht what ever age you are.

if the 1660 $ is actually per year would you mind sharing the company you get this from?

How much are we talking about? I have a friend who has an insurance with BUPA and it's about 16000 Baht/year.

Are you sure that is full health care ? I have BUPA Blue cross here in Thailand and it's a lot lot more than that. Used to be a web site with premium prices but I can't seem to find it anymore.

//I dug out the annual prices (from 2 years ago) and I see for a 1 Million Baht platinum policy then if 21 -25 it's 16,522 baht, 26 - 30 19,066, 31 - 35 21,635, and increases rapidly reaching 61 - 65 = 58,128 Baht. That's why I said age is a big consideration.

I think the best value seems to be April Mobilite Asia Expat Policy and a similar one from another French outfit called ACS both available through the company that used to be associated with TV as official broker. They have maximum payouts you're unlikely to exceed, based on 100% of actual expenses, no deductibles and well written information plus they include overseas travel cover and repatriation of earthly remains if you don't make it! I seem to remember that for a male of 60, non-smoker, moderate drinker, the annual premium was about 40K - not a whole lot more than very restrictive offerings from other companies that limit you to so much a day for this, that and the other. Also, and very important to many of us, they can't just drop you when you get too old.

Out patient treatment is excluded from that price, by the way.

Edited by Greenside

http://pd.prlog.org/40028054-april-mobilit-asia-expat-plan.html UP TO AGE 65

http://pd.prlog.org/40028054-april-mobilit-asia-expat-plan.html up to age 75

given that life expectancy is growing, that a German University predicts the number of persons reaching age 100 to increase 20 fold over the next 20 years, where to run for cover, literally speaking?

Are you sure that is full health care ? I have BUPA Blue cross here in Thailand and it's a lot lot more than that. Used to be a web site with premium prices but I can't seem to find it anymore.

//I dug out the annual prices (from 2 years ago) and I see for a 1 Million Baht platinum policy then if 21 -25 it's 16,522 baht, 26 - 30 19,066, 31 - 35 21,635, and increases rapidly reaching 61 - 65 = 58,128 Baht. That's why I said age is a big consideration.

Hmm, I'll have to check with him. He is 64 but according to your numbers, I don't think he has a 1 million coverage.

Both of those links are for "up to age 65" it seems.

Does any company offer policies with deductibles to lower the premiums? Some people could pay the first 50K, 100K, etc, but want protection from the less likely but devastating major expenses.

Both of those links are for "up to age 65" it seems.

Does any company offer policies with deductibles to lower the premiums? Some people could pay the first 50K, 100K, etc, but want protection from the less likely but devastating major expenses.

When you hit 70+ premiums skyrocket making it unaffordable. I have often wondered why premiums are not based on your current health staus backed up by of course regular check up reports. I know plenty of non smoking ,moderate drinking "oldies" who are far healthier than some of the under 50 brigade ....wishfull thinking on my part???

I think the best value seems to be April Mobilite Asia Expat Policy and a similar one from another French outfit called ACS both available through the company that used to be associated with TV as official broker. They have maximum payouts you're unlikely to exceed, based on 100% of actual expenses, no deductibles and well written information plus they include overseas travel cover and repatriation of earthly remains if you don't make it! I seem to remember that for a male of 60, non-smoker, moderate drinker, the annual premium was about 40K - not a whole lot more than very restrictive offerings from other companies that limit you to so much a day for this, that and the other. Also, and very important to many of us, they can't just drop you when you get too old.

I use ACS which is an Allianze associated company and I pay around $3,600 a year for me at 38, My wife at 34 and my 14 year old daughter the coverage is very good and has stated also travel and outpatients is covered. You can pay monthly as well via a credit card. It was arranged for me by AA insurance but i now do it on my own via their website. Edited by thaimiller

I use ACS which is an Allianze associated company and I pay around $3,600 a year for me at 38, My wife at 34 and my 14 year old daughter the coverage is very good and has stated also travel and outpatients is covered. You can pay monthly as well via a credit card. It was arranged for me by AA insurance but i now do it on my own via their website.

That sounds extremely expensive thaimiller, especially for someone as young as you are. I realize that price is for 3 people but that equates to about 110,500 THB per year (assuming you are referring to USD???). I'm not sure how it is you are charged in USD but not important. I pay about 14,000 THB per year for my child and that policy includes everything under the sun (except outpatient of course). I've put in perhaps 6 claims over the last 3 years and they have paid everything without problem and never raised the premium. I'm not sure where the value is in an International policy for a young family like yours. At your age, good coverage is cheap through Thai Insurance companies. I had a great policy for 16,000 THB that covered everything but outpatient but it went up considerably after age 53. I'm looking for another policy now.

Well I am 70 and the cheapest I would be able to get would be about $1,660 U. S..

I really don't think you are going to find any thing that is decent for under 30,000 baht what ever age you are.

if the 1660 $ is actually per year would you mind sharing the company you get this from?

Sorry I can't remember the name of the company. I met the agent at the Chiang Mai Properties across the street from the Shangrala andsouth about 100 feet. the price he gave me I believe was subject to a $2,000 payment on my part before it kicked in he sent i the form to get a quote from the company and they never replied. I ran into him a month later and he said he would check them out again. Still no reply..

The one thing that surprised me was that he says they do not change the price until you reach 71. He also mentioned that more and more they are taking into consideration your weight.

I use ACS which is an Allianze associated company and I pay around $3,600 a year for me at 38, My wife at 34 and my 14 year old daughter the coverage is very good and has stated also travel and outpatients is covered. You can pay monthly as well via a credit card. It was arranged for me by AA insurance but i now do it on my own via their website.

That sounds extremely expensive thaimiller, especially for someone as young as you are. I realize that price is for 3 people but that equates to about 110,500 THB per year (assuming you are referring to USD???). I'm not sure how it is you are charged in USD but not important. I pay about 14,000 THB per year for my child and that policy includes everything under the sun (except outpatient of course). I've put in perhaps 6 claims over the last 3 years and they have paid everything without problem and never raised the premium. I'm not sure where the value is in an International policy for a young family like yours. At your age, good coverage is cheap through Thai Insurance companies. I had a great policy for 16,000 THB that covered everything but outpatient but it went up considerably after age 53. I'm looking for another policy now.

Sorry, Ive just checked what I wrote again and its 36,000thb a year, been one of those days...lol, The working out is done in USD on my Credit Card at About $103, USD a month. Edited by thaimiller

If you don't have outpatient included you take a huge risk. Many cancer treatments are outpatient. Think about 100.000THB to 300.000THB a month for medicines alone.

If you don't have outpatient included you take a huge risk. Many cancer treatments are outpatient. Think about 100.000THB to 300.000THB a month for medicines alone.

That's why a separate cancer insurance policy is such a popular product in Thailand.

Some of the banks offer accident insurance policies for a very reasonable price -- however, they only cover you for accidents and may have exclusions for motorcycles, etc. It's certainly better than nothing!

My wife had insurance from Siam Commercial Bank. She got into an accident on her bike, cost her about 15,000 for everything at the hospital, and that was one year ago. The bank has made her jump through ridiculous hoops and still have not paid out a single baht to her. The latest hoop, after several others, is saying the doctor didn't write enough detail on the report so SHE has to take it back to HIM to get it filled out with more detail so she can start the process all over again.

IMHO, don't waste your time with bank insurance. If your experience is anything like hers, it's a total waste of time and money. So far it looks like nothing but a scam.

Some of the banks offer accident insurance policies for a very reasonable price -- however, they only cover you for accidents and may have exclusions for motorcycles, etc. It's certainly better than nothing!

My wife had insurance from Siam Commercial Bank. She got into an accident on her bike, cost her about 15,000 for everything at the hospital, and that was one year ago. The bank has made her jump through ridiculous hoops and still have not paid out a single baht to her. The latest hoop, after several others, is saying the doctor didn't write enough detail on the report so SHE has to take it back to HIM to get it filled out with more detail so she can start the process all over again.

IMHO, don't waste your time with bank insurance. If your experience is anything like hers, it's a total waste of time and money. So far it looks like nothing but a scam.

I got bank insurance cover through paying 500thb for a ATM card with SCB, or I thought I did, until my wife read the smallest of small prints in Thai and it states for holders of Thai ID cards only, not even a driving license is acceptable for a foreigner, so be aware and dont fall for this scheme as lots of banks are now trying it.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the company. I met the agent at the Chiang Mai Properties across the street from the Shangrala andsouth about 100 feet. the price he gave me I believe was subject to a $2,000 payment on my part before it kicked in he sent i the form to get a quote from the company and they never replied. I ran into him a month later and he said he would check them out again. Still no reply..

The one thing that surprised me was that he says they do not change the price until you reach 71. He also mentioned that more and more they are taking into consideration your weight.

You met the agent of a company whose name you can't remember at Chiang Mai Properties.

He wanted $2,000 before it kicked in, but the application was never acknowledged.

You 'ran into him' a month later and he said 'he would check it out'.

The ONE thing that surprised you, was that he said the price doesn't change until age 71

Did you ever consider re-thinking this one?

Edited by uptheos

You met the agent of a company whose name you can't remember at Chiang Mai Properties.

He wanted $2,000 before it kicked in, but the application was never acknowledged.

You 'ran into him' a month later and he said 'he would check it out'.

The ONE thing that surprised you, was that he said the price doesn't change until age 71

Did you ever consider re-thinking this one?

I think he means it had a $2,000 deductible.

That's about what I was looking for. In the US where insurance is prohibitively expensive for self-employed people e.g., it is common to buy insurance with a large deductible to lower the premium. They are often called "catastrophic policies".

That's why a separate cancer insurance policy is such a popular product in Thailand.

I've not seen any special policies to cover cancer OP treatment but agree with you that it's something hugely important to consider but, living as I'm told we do, in the lung cancer capital of SE Asia, I suspect it's going to cost a fortune. Any insurers to suggest or idea of premiums?

I've not seen any special policies to cover cancer OP treatment but agree with you that it's something hugely important to consider but, living as I'm told we do, in the lung cancer capital of SE Asia, I suspect it's going to cost a fortune. Any insurers to suggest or idea of premiums?

Forget Thai insurers. I have an insurance policy from holland. Special for dutch people living outside the eu. Everything covered, in and outpatient. Premium 325 euros a month (60 and older). Quality don't come cheap.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Almost all the insurance companies have them; i.e. Thai Health, AXA, and so on. I just looked at what ACS (Thailand) has to offer and it's not much...max. 500,000 THB and only up to age 54. BUPA has it but only coverage up to 900,000 THB and in small print...available to Thai Nationals only. Probably not a good idea to come down with cancer in Thailand unless you are fabulously wealthy, have International insurance that will cover the treatment, or can return to your home country for treatment!