Which One Is Safer ? Chiang Mai Or Bangkok

duiter

CM because there are less farang to attract the bad elements.

CM has more of a rural background

CM has more Lanna Thai (jai di)

CM the cost of living is more reaonable/ easy.

Edited by damo

Metropolitan CM is around 1 mill. people whereas greater Bangkok is around 7 mill. (plus another 5 mill. transient workers) so statistically it is far safer.

is it more dangerous solely because its bigger ? ie. risk of getting killed in a stampede ?

Metropolitan CM is around 1 mill. people whereas greater Bangkok is around 7 mill. (plus another 5 mill. transient workers) so statistically it is far safer.

Seems like a bit of a non-sequitor to me. There's one person on my pogo stick, forty peoople on the bus, and they're a lot safer than I am. I imagine the OP is concerned about the risk to himself, and he'll be one person whether he goes to Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

I think the answer is that no-one here knows, but they believe CM to be safer because it is more of a sleepy backwater, and the news coverage is probably not so good. Like me, they are not sufficiently interested to do the research and give you an objective answer.

SC

Crime and accidents are typically rated on a per thousand or per hundred thousand basis, therefore, because there are twelve times more people in Bangkok than in Chiang Mai there are more crimes/accidents in Bangkok, ergo Chiang Mai is STATISTICALLY safer!

Crime and accidents are typically rated on a per thousand or per hundred thousand basis, therefore, because there are twelve times more people in Bangkok than in Chiang Mai there are more crimes/accidents in Bangkok, ergo Chiang Mai is STATISTICALLY safer!

Ergo even though there are seven times as many crimes in Bangkok, it is just as safe as Chiang Mai. As you say, this is why they use crimes per thousand of population as their measure of statistical risk.

its ONLY statistically safer if you divide the accdients by the population and CM is still lower

although ,more planes fly into bkk than CMX ,so theres a greater risk of a plane landing on your house :)

Bangkok is more unsafe because of the traffic and the size of the city, more chance of some kind of fatal accident. If you're worried about random street crime neither is unsafe, although I would imagine Chiang Mai would again be safer due to the smaller size. I don't worry about that in either location though, just need to watch out for traffic

CM because there are less farang to attract the bad elements.

CM has more of a rural background

CM has more Lanna Thai (jai di)

CM the cost of living is more reaonable/ easy.

I would say that the ratio of Westerners to Thais in CM is much higher than in BKK, judging by the number of oldies I bump into every time I visit Airport Plaza or any other shopping centre. Your comment about Lanna Thai being kind hearted is a bit silly in my opinion. It isn't wise to make sweeping generalisations - ever!

Statistics are for losers. There is no way of telling which city is safer. It all depends on what the individual DOES on a daily basis. If you walk everywhere or take the sky train or a city bus then chances are you will be pretty safe. If you rent or use a scooter to get around then you risk factor jumps dramatically. It jumps even further if you show off a lot of wealth in a poor neighbourhood. If you drink alcohol to a point of being inebriated then your risk factor jumps up again.

Then, there is just plain fate. You can mind your own business and try to be as safe as possible and fate will jump in and kick your sorry ass to the curb.

CM offers asphyxia from forest fires and garbage burning.

BKK offers asphyxia from vehicle and industrial air pollution.

Pick your choice of choking.

CM offers hookers that will kill you by using a vase.

BKK offers hookers that will kill you by shooting or slicing you.

Pick your choice of hooker death.

CM offers really old farang drivers with poor vision and reflexes that can run you down.

BKK offers heavy vehicle drivers juiced up on yaba that will run you down.

Pick your choice of vehicle death.

If you want death while having sexual intercourse, I think CM and BKK are equivalent, although I hear that the ladyboys are more accomodating of european fetishes in BKK.

Chiang Mai doesn't have a sky train (as yet) and you can carry balloons anywhere, most of the time.

the OP needs to remember that some of the advice given on this forum might be mischievious trouble-making at his expense, and he'd be as well to keep his wits about himself at all times, particularly if he's going to start recklessly carrying balloons willy-nilly.

SC

• Like 1

That's an excellent post. You have a solid grasp of statistics.

But you also need to take into account PCQI.

In case you don't know, PCQI is Post Count Quality Index.

I've studied your posts and can see that you have a PCQI of 20. This means that for every twenty posts you make, one will be good.

I have a PCQI of 100.

This means that you are a better poster than me. But it also means that my posts are less safe to read than yours (or "your's", as now seems to be the convention here on Thaivisa).

Next, we need to take into account the fact that you are in Chiang Mai and I am in Bangkok.

So.............

1. Posters in Chiang Mai have a lower PCQI than posters in Bangkok.

2. Ergo, posters in Bangkok write posts that are less safe to read than posts written by posters in Chiang Mai.

3. Ergo, Chiang Mai is safer than Bangkok.

I hope this clarifies things.

Why worry. You could be in any country in the world and die or get hurt. When it's your time, you can't dodge the reaper. giggle.gif

If i had the choice of BKK or up north, i would go for north every time. Only due to floods.

Both quite dangerous places... floods in Bangkok, earthquakes in Chiang Mai, Iranian terrorists in Bangkok, fearsome wildlife in Chiang Mai, zombie taxi-drivers in Bangkok, zombie farrang car drivers in Chiang Mai... both places are in Thailand so plenty of shared risks relating to low health and safety standards... Bangkok has more hospitals in case of a serious emergency but the traffic is so bad you will die before you get there... if you are really worried about safety, move to Switzerland, but don't go skiing too often...

Yes, very dangerous earthquakes in CM. My television and PC monitor both shook slightly last year when there was one with an epicentre somewhere near the Burmese border.

I've found that the worst motorists in Chiang Mai are Thai car drivers, closely followed by Westerners on underpowered motorbikes. Overtaking cars on the inside when they are indicating to turn left is a stupid thing to do - I'm sure none of these people hold a full motorcycle licence from their home country, many of them are a few sandwiches short of a picnic as well, in my opinion.

Nearly falling asleep in a bar while listening to an expat telling me how much money he makes is the most dangerous experience I have had since moving up here a couple of years ago. Off topic I know, but just why is it that so many Westerners in Thailand think it's socially acceptable to enquire about other people's personal finances and talk at length about their own when they barely know the person with whom they are conversing?

Edited by inthepink

is it more dangerous solely because its bigger ? ie. risk of getting killed in a stampede ?

Yes

Statistics are for losers. There is no way of telling which city is safer. It all depends on what the individual DOES on a daily basis. If you walk everywhere or take the sky train or a city bus then chances are you will be pretty safe. If you rent or use a scooter to get around then you risk factor jumps dramatically. It jumps even further if you show off a lot of wealth in a poor neighbourhood. If you drink alcohol to a point of being inebriated then your risk factor jumps up again.

Then, there is just plain fate. You can mind your own business and try to be as safe as possible and fate will jump in and kick your sorry ass to the curb.

Statistics are for losers?

Do you have any mathmatical equations to back up such a claim?

It's a quote from baseball that Ian really should have put in quotes otherwise some people tend to get excited at remarks like that.