Racism Against Farangs

aneliane

It is with much sorrow that I have to report a grave incidence of blatant racism in this wonderful country.

I recently purchased a new vehicle and was dismayed to discover that every single English Language FM radio station , of which at the last count there were no less than 5, were impossible to listen to.

Either the general sound quality is appalling, or, as I drive around my beloved Pattaya city, the reception wavers, disappears, and then returns again, only to disappear once more just when I am getting into the latest offering from lady Ga-Ga.

Yet, imagine my horror when I accidentally moved my tuning dial from 105 FM to 105.5 FM and lo and behold, the sounds of beautifully modulated, crystal clear music burst into my driver’s cab, without so much as a squawk or a scratch. The trouble was that this incredibly strong and perfect FM signal was broadcasting Thai music! Aggghhh!!!

‘That’s strange,’ says I, ‘how come this Thai station has good reception, and all my English language stations have rubbish reception?’

But - horror upon horror - much worse was to come.

On a whim, I decided to put my FM tuner into ‘auto search’ mode, and believe it or not, Ladies and Gentlemen of Thai Visa, can you believe that the tuner stopped at no less than a dozen Thai music stations, all with the most amazing reception I have experienced since I was a babe in arms and my Mummy piped ‘The Teddy Bears Picnic’ into my nursery cot at 2 million decibels.

The awful realisation suddenly dawned on me that this was insidious racism of the worst possible kind. What manner of monster would inflict such racist actions upon an unsuspecting, Fortuner-speeding, farang -driving audience, by deliberately ruining their western music listening pleasure, and effectively forcing them to listen to Thai music?

I strongly suspect a conspiracy between the snivelling, racist civil servant who is responsible for allocating the air waves, and the racist manufacturers of car radios to ensure that all western music is completely ‘unlistenable-to’, and that all Thai music rings out over the ether, in all its clear and melodious glory.

What say you, dear readers? Do I have a case of unspeakable racism to put before the Thai Human Rights Watch Society?

You look over this thread and you will see I, with much resistance claim there is racism in this country but I have to say I cant agree that your story is any sort of racism.

<deleted> do we have to explain every piece of irony to FOREIGNERS like you?

No you don't have to explain everything............. and who is "we". Free forum buddy run by moderators and not you, deal with it !

Edited by rinteln

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is with much sorrow that I have to report a grave incidence of blatant racism in this wonderful country.

I recently purchased a new vehicle and was dismayed to discover that every single English Language FM radio station , of which at the last count there were no less than 5, were impossible to listen to.

Either the general sound quality is appalling, or, as I drive around my beloved Pattaya city, the reception wavers, disappears, and then returns again, only to disappear once more just when I am getting into the latest offering from lady Ga-Ga.

Yet, imagine my horror when I accidentally moved my tuning dial from 105 FM to 105.5 FM and lo and behold, the sounds of beautifully modulated, crystal clear music burst into my driver’s cab, without so much as a squawk or a scratch. The trouble was that this incredibly strong and perfect FM signal was broadcasting Thai music! Aggghhh!!!

‘That’s strange,’ says I, ‘how come this Thai station has good reception, and all my English language stations have rubbish reception?’

But - horror upon horror - much worse was to come.

On a whim, I decided to put my FM tuner into ‘auto search’ mode, and believe it or not, Ladies and Gentlemen of Thai Visa, can you believe that the tuner stopped at no less than a dozen Thai music stations, all with the most amazing reception I have experienced since I was a babe in arms and my Mummy piped ‘The Teddy Bears Picnic’ into my nursery cot at 2 million decibels.

The awful realisation suddenly dawned on me that this was insidious racism of the worst possible kind. What manner of monster would inflict such racist actions upon an unsuspecting, Fortuner-speeding, farang -driving audience, by deliberately ruining their western music listening pleasure, and effectively forcing them to listen to Thai music?

I strongly suspect a conspiracy between the snivelling, racist civil servant who is responsible for allocating the air waves, and the racist manufacturers of car radios to ensure that all western music is completely ‘unlistenable-to’, and that all Thai music rings out over the ether, in all its clear and melodious glory.

What say you, dear readers? Do I have a case of unspeakable racism to put before the Thai Human Rights Watch Society?

You look over this thread and you will see I, with much resistance claim there is racism in this country but I have to say I cant agree that your story is any sort of racism.

<deleted> do we have to explain every piece of irony to FOREIGNERS like you?

No you don't and who is "we". Free forum buddy run by moderators and not you, deal with it !

You missed the irony again old boy. More English lessons needed I feel...

Dont ya all forget the Thai language is a very limited language with at the most 3000 words, (from a google search that referred me to a thaivisa thread )

Where as there are about 1000000 words in the English language.

That does seem a bit weird. I would probably guess their language isn't as in depth as ours but surely not that low ? What is the source ?

I did two google searches:

How many words in the English language.

How many words in the Thai language

Dont ya all forget the Thai language is a very limited language with at the most 3000 words, (from a google search that referred me to a thaivisa thread )

That does seem a bit weird. I would probably guess their language isn't as in depth as ours but surely not that low ? What is the source ?

I did two google searches:

How many words in the English language.

How many words in the Thai language

is RACIST in the 3000 words?

Some posters here either walk down the memory lane on a constant basis or are refuse to realize that their dreams are just one the surface.

I agree that the OP probably misinterpreted some of the situations but the fact remains. If you can speak decent or even fluent Thai, then try to sit at one of the local buses in a suburbian area. Me and my friends have experienced this and this one of the reasons some of my friends left Thailand with their spouses. The racism is flourishing in these areas, so either some of the posters lives very central or in tourist places where money talks.

The racism in Thailand is something I´ve already factored in before moving here since it is a developing country. Where I´m from there is racism against all kinds of people and being white just doesn´t cut it. If you are even a half blood, that´s bad enough, so I don´t expect people from a developing country to be more understanding. However the thing that concerns me is the constitutional racism that has been incorporated past the few decades or so. This doesn't benifit anyone, atleast not the Thais since an influx of foreign business would boost the country´s economy like it has done for most farang countries (Name one western country that has become developed without immigrants)

A poison that enters the body spreads through the veins and so do the elite with the working class, not to the workers benifits but to their own.

Telling people here it's Lala land is being blind to the mistreatment not only to farangs but to other foreigners and ignorant so you can go on with your beer drinking, lap dancing and not to care about how other people have it , because that's why some came here right?

Because if you didn´t come here because your woman/man is here, there can't be that many reasons for you to stay here. Don´t laugh at other people's misery, try to explain or you really are the misfits that everyone think the Thavisa members are.

That said, Thailand is a country with a lot of opportunity if it´s managed right. There are good people are, the country does have good qualities and it is better than most developing countries but it´s not paradise yet, not for some. Some have families here and still struggle with the visa because the immigration officers are in a bad mood and cannot care less for foreigners who could have it better at their home countrie. Think before you type next time.

• Like 1

The racism in Thailand is something I´ve already factored in before moving here since it is a developing country.

Not to split hairs and divert from the topic being discussed, but Thailand is not a developing country. It is a newly industrialised country.

• Like 1

Newly industrialized countries (NICs) are nations with economies more advanced and developed than those in the developing world, but not yet with the full signs of a developed country.

Nomatter the definition it´s not a developed country for obvious reasons but yes you were correct in your statement.

Edited by maxme

who cares what someone thinks, walking through BKK i do not care, they dont pay my bills.

If they hate me so be it, but it is the same the world over.

And that's why problems are never worked out and I doubt you care much about the situation Thais are in right?

So it´s pretty obvious why you are here. violin.gif

Some posters here either walk down the memory lane on a constant basis or are refuse to realize that their dreams are just one the surface.

I agree that the OP probably misinterpreted some of the situations but the fact remains. If you can speak decent or even fluent Thai, then try to sit at one of the local buses in a suburbian area. Me and my friends have experienced this and this one of the reasons some of my friends left Thailand with their spouses. The racism is flourishing in these areas, so either some of the posters lives very central or in tourist places where money talks.

The racism in Thailand is something I´ve already factored in before moving here since it is a developing country. Where I´m from there is racism against all kinds of people and being white just doesn´t cut it. If you are even a half blood, that´s bad enough, so I don´t expect people from a developing country to be more understanding. However the thing that concerns me is the constitutional racism that has been incorporated past the few decades or so. This doesn't benifit anyone, atleast not the Thais since an influx of foreign business would boost the country´s economy like it has done for most farang countries (Name one western country that has become developed without immigrants)

A poison that enters the body spreads through the veins and so do the elite with the working class, not to the workers benifits but to their own.

Telling people here it's Lala land is being blind to the mistreatment not only to farangs but to other foreigners and ignorant so you can go on with your beer drinking, lap dancing and not to care about how other people have it , because that's why some came here right?

Because if you didn´t come here because your woman/man is here, there can't be that many reasons for you to stay here. Don´t laugh at other people's misery, try to explain or you really are the misfits that everyone think the Thavisa members are.

That said, Thailand is a country with a lot of opportunity if it´s managed right. There are good people are, the country does have good qualities and it is better than most developing countries but it´s not paradise yet, not for some. Some have families here and still struggle with the visa because the immigration officers are in a bad mood and cannot care less for foreigners who could have it better at their home countrie. Think before you type next time.

Nice post, maxme, but makes me feel a bit sad about your reality.

But you have to understand that everyone is different, and have a different perception of reality.

Also, why call Thaivisa members "misfits ", i guess you are not included ?

Personally i came here mostly for the climate, and IMO people are the same everywhere, friends or enemies, good or bad, beautiful or ugly.

I am not fluent in Thai, and not interested in what people say in suburban areas.

Life is too short to be sad.

I care about people, but if people do not care about me so be it, i will not lose sleep over it.

And it's not at all obvious why I am here, that is probably the most arrogant thing anyone could ever say on here as you don't ever know me.

I am here to be with my wife and family, nothing more, if people despise me I don't care, why should I.

Read again, I said when you tell people to stop posting in the thread coz they complain about sth you don´t wanna hear. That's when I think ppl are misfits because the people who do that often complain about sth themselves.

I don't say that everybody is like this but I pointed out to those to told the OP to take a hike.

Nice post, maxme, but makes me feel a bit sad about your reality.

But you have to understand that everyone is different, and have a different perception of reality.

Also, why call Thaivisa members "misfits ", i guess you are not included ?

Personally i came here mostly for the climate, and IMO people are the same everywhere, friends or enemies, good or bad, beautiful or ugly.

I am not fluent in Thai, and not interested in what people say in suburban areas.

Life is too short to be sad.

As I mentioned before, I didn't point anyone out specifically but as you said, we all look it from different perspectives. I don´t think you need to be fluent in Thai to see what is going on behind the scenes. I think location is one of the main aspects in this since if you live in the center of Bkk you will have no idea how it works outside, like in the suburbian areas because the people there are very different. I know alot of farangs that live in Phuket, Pattaya and Bkk and have no clue what real Thai life is. They chose it because they are happy with what they have and don´t want to have their dreams shattered or they simply don´t care about it.

Then there are those who have lived like that but moved to a more secure place and will never turn back. We all have different experiences depending our angle and way of living.

I just hate absolutism like some people here represent. It's not all black and white, when you live here with the locals you notice it's a lot of gray areas and I wrote before that I don´t agree with the OP's total assessment of the situation as I think she hasn´t understood the Thai way. Most of my experiences with bad services is reflected by bad management and insecurity. This is why we sometimes interpret the locals wrong. That said , the envy that some Thais display has turned into xenophobic thinking and you have the media and the elite to thank that for. Where else would they get the idea that farangs own 70-90% of Phuket? Look at the center areas in Bkk, most of these shops are foreign so do we own 90% of the center areas there? No, but since the Thais have a hard time establishing themselves (some due to poor PR and management) it's easier to blame foreigners for your miserable life than a government that won´t change.

• Like 2

if have no problem with people complaing, i said i don't care if people don't like me.

i don't mind who complains here, but i was refering to myself, i never told anyone not to post or complain.

I never really got these "racisim" posts by people here on this forum. The only real racisim you get here is from places that try and double+ charge you based on where they think you are from. That blows sure, but it's not like real racisim like the kind I have experianced growing up Black in America. These posts always give me a chuckle.

Merci, merci, merci.

It's good know I'm not alone/totally barmy/etc

:)

I never really got these "racisim" posts by people here on this forum. The only real racisim you get here is from places that try and double+ charge you based on where they think you are from. That blows sure, but it's not like real racisim like the kind I have experianced growing up Black in America. These posts always give me a chuckle.

It helps if you watch a British TV show called Miranda. Imagine what would happen if she moved to Thailand.

Good you have a laugh, perhaps you should join me in a bar round around Bkk, see how many where they will let you in.

Sorry folks, but this thread has brought out the worst of TV. Embarrassing really.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The best is yet to come !!

What i dislike more is the plain hypocrisy of some of my fellow white people..

For centuries we have enslaved the Africans and exploited them, in America we have exterminated the native population, not to talk about Australia.

In our History books we are taught the myth of the superior race, while in China they had an established empire since 5000 yrs at least....And i could go on.

Then suddenly we discover political correctness, and we complain if the rest of the world is not quick enough to follow.

IMHO some foreigners in Thailand are treated better than they deserve.

End of the rant ( for now )coffee1.gif

No one forces you to come and post here.

I think we ALL know that you don't believe in this thread.

You have said it many times

Why coming back ?

I think you like to dismiss people

How do you know this when you don't speak Thai?

Because I do speak a bit Thai and it's easy enough to recognize few words like farangs/ the price I agreed to pay, also I talk quite fluently drunken sleaze ball language, it's international, that eyeing and face expression that some men have when they lust women, which I had confirmation when he arrived in my house he would not leave, he was like ..."so ..you like Thai men?" and he was holding his crouch, he was drunk so fortunately it was easy to stop the assault.

OK, so... you heard his comment that he was planning to make a pass at you, yet you invited this lustful, drunken sleaze ball into your home? Smart move, girl.

I did NOT let him into my home.

It was my tuktuk driver

snapback.pngfredtitmus, on Yesterday, 18:57 , said:

@ OP,The thai people wont serve you in shops,you get asked to leave the bus and turned away at the hospital ??? forgive me if im wrong but do you look like olive oil from the popeye cartoon? do you have big scary eyes or maybe you have sheep teeth?

Ordinarily, expecting a response from an OP this far into a thread would be pointless but seeing as aneliane's probably got more "farang" male attention in this epic than she's had in the years she's lived here, expect her to milk it for all it's worth.

To be honest hardened i dont really want a response,infact there's something that just doesnt seem right about this thread.

I havnt seen the op's earlier thread's but do you ever get the feeling people are not who they say they are? Im probably totally wrong but would it be ridiculous to say one person is controling two people on here.maybe to stir up some controversy and keep people logging in.

But if she is who she says she is,does this lady date thai men/women or has she ever had a thai partner? has this been reveiled cos i have missed it if it has.

WoW

So now I moan about racism so I can get male attention ? (because otherwise I don't get any?)

You don't ANYTHING about my personal life. So please refrain to comment

And no, I am not going to comment on my personal life either.

I am not sure what I am doing so bad in just sharing about some of my experiences here, but it has certainly triggered alot of anger

Edited by aneliane

the biggest and most discriminating racism against retiree Farangs in Thailand is that we are not entitled to pay income tax. i consider this an outrage and contemplate to file a suit with the European Court on Human Rights in Strasbourg, France.

shame on you Thailand!

annoyed.gif

• Like 1