Withdrawing Money Over The Counter

I'm curious about this and haven't been able to get a straight answer from the bank but in my experience I've been able to withdraw cash over the counter from only 1 Siam Bank branch and other ones tell me that they don't accept my card. I've told them that this other branch is always able to withdraw money for me but I've never been able to get a clear explanation as to why that is. Anyone know why?

Probably the same reason one branch will easily open an account for a farang while another branch will not...just seems to be individual branch management. But probably the best answer is: TIT

They're most likely too busy or too lazy.

It's sometimes possible to get them to do an over-the-counter debit card withdrawal, but it's not easy. Here's an experience I had at SCB (Siam Commercial Bank) in Pattaya

I mostly use the SCB satellite branch offices in the malls because they're open until 7:00 or 8:00pm, where the main branch teller counters close at 3:30pm.

The teller wouldn't do a withdrawal, so I asked for a supervisor. She tried to get me to use the ATM, but I told her I needed 30,000 Baht and the ATM limit was 20,000 -- she suggested doing it in two transactions. I told her I didn't want to pay the 150 Baht Thai ATM usury fee even once, let alone twice!

She finally agreed to do it but I needed to have my passport and SCB bank-book. They have to call an office in Bangkok to get approval. That office closes at 5:00pm, so you need to start this process well before that time. I finally got the cash, but the ordeal took 30 minutes.

ATMs are MUCH faster and the AEON ATMs don't charge the 150 Baht Thai usury fee. Unfortunately, there are only four of those in Pattaya.

As I understand it (please note the caveat!) you can only get cash over the counter at the branch where you have the account, with the bank book. I got to say I have not tried to take the bank book to another branch (which might work). Just going to any other branch with your card, and they will point you to the ATM.

Another AEON ATM is at the front of Home-Works (outside), next to Big-C South near the corner of Pattaya-Tai and Sukumvit -- Two more at Tesco-north (Pattaya-Nua) - at the end of the left corridor, near the doors leading to the car park. The only AEON office in Pattaya is also there.

Ironically the branch that was actually able to help me was the busiest as it was one at a mall and I had to wait for a while to get served. The other 2 had people just sitting around talking and I could get served right away but no help with the transaction.

I'm also pretty certain that withdrawals can be done without having an account at that bank because I don't have an account with any Thai bank.

FWIW I used to use the AEON atms until one didn't give me the money but still sent the message to my bank in Australia to take the money from my account. 6 weeks later I'm still waiting for the issue to be resolved. In fairness I think that it is my Australian bank that is dragging it's feet but it's a pain in the butt that I can't be bothered going through again which is why I now do over the counter withdrawals.

"I used to use the AEON atms until one didn't give me the money . . . 6 weeks later I'm still waiting for the issue to be resolved"

I've read reports of this happening, but at almost all bank ATMs, not only AEON. Unfortunately, in some cases, the branch has told the customer to get a police report before the issue can be resolved.

I guess I've been lucky - more than 7 years of ATM transactions in Pattaya, most of the past two years with AEON, and so far, no problems (fingers crossed)