Helmets Now Optional For All Foreign Tourists

BookMan

(I came across this interesting article today...)

Helmets now optional for all tourists in Thailand.

In a bid to boost tourism, Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) have launched a campaign to make all foreign tourists aware that they are not required to wear helmets while riding motorcycles in Thailand.

Spokesman forTAT, Somchai Rangkanpang, said “We have known for many years that tourists visiting Thailand do not like to wear helmets. Tourists are good for Thailand and we must keep them happy. There will be an administrative tax of 500 Baht per tourist to implement this new program”.

Asked who would pay for medical expenses in the event of an accident Somchai responded: “If the tourist have an accident on their bike it will be their fault. Many foreigners cannot ride the bike like the Thai person. The Thai government will offer optional compulsory insurance to all tourist for accidents. This will cover up to 20,000 baht expenses for the owners of any rented bike. In case of death, where the family cannot collect the body for several weeks, we will waive any overstay fines the dead person incurred whilst waiting at the morgue”

Expanding on his thoughts Somchai stated that he expects the motorcycle road toll will decrease as a result of the TAT initiative. “Now foreign tourists will be happy when they ride their bikes and will not want to have accidents so much anymore”.

Spokesman for the Thai police Force, Suchaiwu Bigabikethanu, said the Police would regret the lost revenue from issuing helmets fines, but would issue a bulletin immediately instructing all officers to fine any foreign tourist found to be wearing a helmet.

“We will do what we can to help the tourist,” Suchaiwu Bigabikethanu told our reporter.

For more info on Thailand see the following link

(no links to non-news commercial websites, please - IJWT)
  • Like 1

laugh.png

Perhaps the compulsory additional insurance might also be applied to all foreign jet-ski riders, thus eliminating the 'accidental-damage' scam, which the operators & tame BiBs currently find so lucrative ? rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

"In case of death, where the family cannot collect the body for several weeks, we will waive any overstay fines the dead person incurred whilst waiting at the morgue”

happy April fool!

I thought that was rather fair of them.

Finally the Thai authorities have realised that the vast majority of Farangs leave their brains at the airport when they fly to Thailand.

With no brains, what do they need helmets for??

A good move, I will dispense with my helmet immediately.

Those TAT Men & Women know what they are doing.

If it is an April fools joke, it is totally irresponsible to post it. A lot of people will read and believe this. No I have not had a sense of humour breakdown.

If anyone reads and believes this, then, they should not be allowed out on their own.

ph34r.png

sad but true.

I've got a great idea for all those helmets that we no longer need. Turn them upside down and attach wires, they can then be used as hanging baskets for growing chickens, noodle bushes or anything that you like :)

If it is an April fools joke, it is totally irresponsible to post it. A lot of people will read and believe this. No I have not had a sense of humour breakdown.

If anyone reads and believes this, then, they should not be allowed out on their own.

ph34r.png

sad but true.

I think it is great news. I am really not comfortable wearing a helmet and since I lost my car after my sat-nav told me to drive it into a lake I am having to use my motorbike far more often.

• Like 1

ph34r.png

Or anything sharper than crayons.

ph34r.png

Or on a long haul flight eh. huh.png

@ BookMan

"Spokesman for the Thai police Force, Suchaiwu Bigabikethanu, said the Police would regret the lost revenue from issuing helmets fines, but would issue a bulletin immediately instructing all officers to fine any foreign tourist found to be wearing a helmet"

I hope they make the bulletin public because my wife didn't believe this. She normally rubs my helmet for me in the morning, before I get it on, and now she is unsure as to what to do............

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 2

I'm sure the relatives and friends of people that have died in Thailand through motorcycle accidents will not be amused by this not really something to joke about .

Another new low for t v

Loosen up man, really daft comment, so the food forum must close cos farangs have croaked from food poisoning,

You need a holiday, try Alaska laugh.png

• Like 1

ph34r.png

sad but true.

I think it is great news. I am really not comfortable wearing a helmet and since I lost my car after my sat-nav told me to drive it into a lake I am having to use my motorbike far more often.

Please wear a life jacket when out on bike.

I am reminded of that situation when Farangs complain about Thai's going overboard celebrating Songkran by dousing people with Ice cold water. This stunt (which is probably an April Fool's Prank) is no different.

I'm sure the relatives and friends of people that have died in Thailand through motorcycle accidents will not be amused by this not really something to joke about .

Another new low for t v

Loosen up man, really daft comment, so the food forum must close cos farangs have croaked from food poisoning,

Why don't you keep your clever dick comments to yourself I have friends here and uk that have died in accidents and this thread is in extremely bad taste and not a subject to joke about.

Edited by taninthai

Another new low for t v

Why don't you keep your clever dick comments to yourself I have friends here and uk that have died in accidents and this thread is in extremely bad taste and not a subject to joke about.

Most have lost folk in many ways during our life time but we move on.

Clever dick, nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo, just realistic.

how can your sense of humour break down if it did not exist in the first place.

Not every one is as thick as you, relax. It will be fine.

I understand that April Fools may be difficult for you but its pretty much over now.

• Like 2

Another new low for t v

don't read it then, It's obviously an April fools joke and is not written with any malice,

• Like 1

Another new low for t v

Most have lost folk in many ways during our life time but we move on.

Clever dick, nnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo, just realistic.

Exactly you get over it and move on and do not expect people to make jokes from it

How about we just settle on DICK then.