Tip Or Not At Hairdresser?

Troyron

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care whether you tip or not. I'd be more worried about paying 450baht for a freakin haircut in LOS.

Haircut, shave and some sort of massage (on the arms and back, mind you) with a vibrating thingy, 30 Baht. No tip expected. smile.png

am sorry but I don't believe you, where are you staying that you can get a 30 Baht haircut ? most places are 50-60 Baht and maybe 40 for children.

Chiang Mai.

I don't tip defensively. If the service wasn't good, or the attitude unpleasant, they get very little, and I don't use them again. If it was good, they get a nice tip, and the pleasure of my repeat business.

I think tipping says more about the tipper than the service provider. Too many Cheap Charlies looking for a pretext to stiff the service worker. THAT is what spoils service in Asia (and elsewhere), IMO.

As Al Penni used to say on a huge billboard above his restaurant, down the street from Culver Studios in LA, "If you can't afford to tip, don't eat out."...

• Like 2

I do think it is stupid to over tip, quite apart from being unwarranted and unnecessary. It also does spoil the market as it creates inflated expectations. And if the Thais don't tip, for the most part, then why would we?

It also doesn't matter what the cost is elsewhere, in another country. We are here, not elsewhere. We can't choose to underpay for things that are more expensive here, like a good bottle of wine. So why overpay when something is cheaper?

But more important, just because Germany for example is extremely expensive, doesn't make things elsewhere "too cheap".

I guess people like Naam have a bit of an insecurity complex and money is a way to big himself up. Lots of people have money but choose to spend it wisely and they feel no need to constanly hint to the wider workd that they have "big money".

Anyway, I tend not to tip unless I see the Thais stipping and then I tip by the amount they seem to.

As for haircuts, no idea what the convention is.

I go to the MOGA hairdresser at Paragon, and don't tip. The service is excellent, but at that place/price, I believe that everything is included in the price. Have never seen anyone else tip either.

Haircut, shave and some sort of massage (on the arms and back, mind you) with a vibrating thingy, 30 Baht. No tip expected. smile.png

open air barber shop in a suburban village of Nakhon Nowhere i presume? ermm.gif

I always tip for a job well done to show appreciation...my local barber doesn't expect anything extra...in Abu Dhabi the barbers were so terrible that I gave up and had my head shaved...ditto in Vietnam; they only know how to cut hair one way and if you lived there the ridiculous 'pudding bowl tonsure' on the men is proof...

in restaurants if the service is for shit then I don't bother...

and I really hate mental inadequates that go on about: 'why do you tip???!!!...you bugger it up fer the rest of us!!!'

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Like 1

I guess people like Naam have a bit of an insecurity complex and money is a way to big himself up. Lots of people have money but choose to spend it wisely and they feel no need to constanly hint to the wider workd that they have "big money".

and i guess that some envious poor boys would happily sacrifice one of their balls to acquire an "insecurity complex" which comes with "big money" and then spend the princely sum of one-hundred Baht ohmy.png unwisely to "big themselves up."

av-11672.gif

• Like 1

and i guess that some envious poor boys would happily sacrifice one of their balls to acquire an "insecurity complex" which comes with "big money" and then spend the princely sum of one-hundred Baht ohmy.png unwisely to "big themselves up."

av-11672.gif

and then, someone would say: '100 baht???...why, I can get 5 haircuts for 100 baht...'

• Like 1

av-11672.gif

and then, someone would say: '100 baht???...why, I can get 5 haircuts for 100 baht...'

and adds "my chum in Nakhon Nowhere pays 25 Baht, BJ included, no tips."

If you're going to tip a hairdresser, why not also tip the 7-11 staff? After all, a packet of noodles is considerably cheaper than in Germany and they provide the excellent service of putting the packet of noodles in a plastic bag. And their pay is even lower than a hairdresser. In fact, they slave away for half a day for the same money as what some of you guys tip your hairdresser for 30 minutes work. Why are they less worthy of a tip?

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

If you're going to tip a hairdresser, why not also tip the 7-11 staff? After all, a packet of noodles is considerably cheaper than in Germany and they provide the excellent service of putting the packet of noodles in a plastic bag. And their pay is even lower than a hairdresser. In fact, they slave away for half a day for the same money as what some of you guys tip your hairdresser for 30 minutes work. Why are they less worthy of a tip?

i don't shop in a 7/11 and can therefore not judge whether the staff should be tipped or not. but i pity a poor boy who is trying with not only irrelevant but ridiculous comparisons to hide his frustration because "tubs" takes all his money and does not leave him with a tip laugh.png

question: where are those shops where employees "slave" 45-50 minutes putting a packet of noodles in a plastic bag and earn 100 Baht for a day's work?

bailiff... next ridiculous plaintiff. let's have some fun!

I pay 250 for a haircut in Bangkok. That is considerably cheaper than other salons in that area. I usually give the guy a 100 Baht tip. I've seen several other customers that also give a tip.

according to the resident experts this means (multiple possibilities apply):

-you pay a small fortune for a haircaut,

-your are as stupid as me because you tip,

-you have big money,

-you have an insecurity complex,

-you use your big money unwisely,

-you use your big money unwisely to show the world you have big money,

-you use your big money unwisely to show the world you have big money to big yourself up,

-you don't have a wife who intercepts half of the tip and pockets it,

-you don't believe that everything is included in the price,

or perhaps

-you are happy with a service and happily tip as a reward for a good service.

did i forget a reason?

• Like 1

The little amount of hair I have left I definitely don't give them a tip.

I always tip well....for a good service and job well done.

They never forget a good tipper!

You're right about that. Maybe I should give them a blank check next time.

there is a difference between a gratuity and 'tipping' a few cervezas...'can I assist you with that, Mr falang?'...'get away, you scum as I can get me own beers, thank you...'...

and then when in discussion with work colleagues: 'unwashed englishmen are difficult, wouldn't you agree?...'...'unwashed americans are the worst when they wanna be 'ethnic' with the local cuisine...but they sure are good tippers!...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

This topic is getting a bit ludicrous. Some people, some people don't. A tip however, should be in line with the product / service purchased and the quality of the service.

Say for eg you dine at a good restaurant and the bill comes to Bht 10,000 for two, a price that you feel worth paying for the food and drinks consumed as well as the ambience and service provided. It would be reasonable to leave a couple of hundred baht as a tip. However, assuming you slurped Gaeng Omm and stuff Khao Neau at a roadside restaurant and had an equally pleasant meal and the bill comes to Bht 250 for two. Would you then also leave Bht 200 as a tip? To me, that would be ridiculous.

Another example of a massage. Typical price for two hours is Bht 500-600. Typical tip would be Bht 100. Assuming the masseur worked on you very proficiently and you had one of the best massages you ever had (excluding happy ending of course), a tip then of Bht 200 or even up to Bht 500 is not untoward. Reason because this is a very individual experience and the end result is unquantifiable.

However, a haircut is a haircut. You hair does not protest if cut straightwise, angled, crosscut. The general end result of a haircut at any half decent hairdresser is more or less the same. If this haircut costs Bht 80, an appropriate tip would be Bht 20, not Bht 120.

I pay 250 for a haircut in Bangkok. That is considerably cheaper than other salons in that area. I usually give the guy a 100 Baht tip. I've seen several other customers that also give a tip.

-you have big money,

-you use your big money unwisely to show the world you have big money to big yourself up,

or perhaps

did i forget a reason?

Or perhaps, he is talking about one of those professional hair salons with qualified hairdressers and professional equipment instead of Somchai with the sissor on the darkside, who between 2 haircuts is a motocy taxi.

-you have big money,

or perhaps

did i forget a reason?

Or perhaps, he is talking about one of those professional hair salons with qualified hairdressers and professional equipment instead of Somchai with the sissor on the darkside, who between 2 haircuts is a motocy taxi.

Yeeesh... The OP is a man getting a haircut. How much proper equipment does it take?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

I used to go for a 60 baht cut and give him 100.

Now I go to the same lady, she does my hair and then a pedicure at 200 baht each. I give 500. I think more than a Thai would give but my feet don't smell so good! coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Now I go to the same lady, she does my hair and then a pedicure at 200 baht each. I give 500. I think more than a Thai would give but my feet don't smell so good! coffee1.gif

At that price, I would insist on a threesome - one for each foot, and one for the head. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

At that price, I would insist on a threesome - one for each foot, and one for the head. rolleyes.gif

in any case, I always get a warm welcome when I show up.

-you have big money,

or perhaps

did i forget a reason?

Yeeesh... The OP is a man getting a haircut. How much proper equipment does it take?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Thanks for your comment,it clearly shows that you've never in your life entered a professional hair salon.

Thanks for your comment,it clearly shows that you've never in your life entered a professional hair salon.

did too. And yes, the professional equiptment was astounding. He used scissors and a comb!

Much better than the twigs and sharp rocks my regular guy hacks away with.

• Like 1