Car Video Cameras

I'm thinking of getting a video camera to install in my truck to reduce problems in case of being involved in an accident or scam. I'm looking for tips in how best to do this. Some questions that come to mind:

Do I need two cameras for front and back?

Where to install?

When do I let others know I have footage of actual events?

Should I make a copy before letting others know of footage?

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my home country, everyone has a video registrator on cars because of corruption in our police. Usually one is installed on front glass of car. I think here the main is resolution of your camera, better HD. If you want to have a footage of your back view, you should buy one which has two cameras and multiplex unit. I would like to thank you for your idea. I think it is very important to have one here in Thailand.

Many such cameras are available - I would suggest ebay as many Hong Kong sellers ship reasonably-priced products to Thailand with free-shipping, some sell warranty for a fee and your purchases are protected by Paypal. Higher-end cameras record GPS, car speed and some even have two cameras; almost all install on the windshield and plug into the lighter socket; you could buy two to record front and rear but you'd need a splitter.

When you have an accident, you call your insurance and liaise with them. These cameras record onto SD or micro SD cards so I'd suggest always carrying a smartphone and spare SD/MicroSD card with you; in the event of an accident you'd duplicate the footage and keep the original.

• Like 1

I was going to ask on here about the availability of Dash Cams locally as I definitely am going to get one but thought I'd wait until I actually had a car before posting the question.

Going by the number of Dash-Cam videos on YouTube they seem to be very popular just about everywhere and I would think a must for here.

HD would be best and a memory card that is 'cyclic', which means you don't have to empty the card and make room for more videos once it's filled up. It will simply overwrite the original files and keep going over and over is also good.

There is only one model I found so far that has a small screen and will allow you to view back on the spot in the event of an accident, that could be usefully.

Various other option available, inside camera, GPS, G-Force meter and speed recorder, a bit like having your very own Black Box.

All usefully evidence in any accident or insurance claim.

post-35075-0-23543400-1333901164_thumb.g

http://www.muzzerino...-cvll-dv51.html

http://www.gpsskytra..._yourself_.html

I just bought one of these, a cheap 2000 Baht unit that sits in front of my rear view mirror but they don't seem to have a wide enough angle to be of that much use (mine is 120 degree), I bought it for the same reasons as you.

Mine does not have GPS, so does not record speed.

I would like to hear from any BM's that have shown a traffic cop that they were not speeding on one of these things and what the reaction was, I may upgrade.

But if some idiot on a bike comes out of a junction without looking and you hit them or wrong way down a one-way street, I think it could be invaluable.

Do I need two cameras for front and back? i would say so

Where to install? centre front & rear windows

When do I let others know I have footage of actual events? when you are 100% sure you weren't at fault or are about to be attacked by the mob that generally gathers

Should I make a copy before letting others know of footage? if you have time before you are beaten

.heres my set up

Hi,

Just out of curiosity (and because this thread made me think about installing cams in my car), how much did you pay for your set up and where did you buy it ?

Not sure it would help smooth things immediately after an accident, but it surely would be better than nothing, our word isn't worth much sometimes

In my home country, everyone has a video registrator on cars because of corruption in our police. Usually one is installed on front glass of car. I think here the main is resolution of your camera, better HD. If you want to have a footage of your back view, you should buy one which has two cameras and multiplex unit. I would like to thank you for your idea. I think it is very important to have one here in Thailand.

Do you have a link to one of those multiplex units?

:-)

When do I let others know I have footage of actual events? when you are 100% sure you weren't at fault or are about to be attacked by the mob that generally gathers

Should I make a copy before letting others know of footage? if you have time before you are beaten

.heres my set up

Hi,

Just out of curiosity (and because this thread made me think about installing cams in my car), how much did you pay for your set up and where did you buy it ?

Not sure it would help smooth things immediately after an accident, but it surely would be better than nothing, our word isn't worth much sometimes

as someone said before i bought mine from a seller on Ebay from Hong Kong

it was around 5000baht for two shipped

the 32mb cards were 2500 each

so about 10,000 baht

i have since seen them in TukCom Pattaya at around 2000 for the same thing

believe me it makes you feel a lot more secure driving around

in fact, i am thinking of adding two more to cover any side issues not seen by the front and rear setups

i had an incident recently where a motorbike clipped my rear quarter

i stopped the car and confronted them

they called someone and i was soon surrounded by a angry mob in an arriving pickup and the local roadside food vendors who were also anxious to get involved

despite being outnumbered 10 -1 by men. woman and children now armed with sticks they had found in the area

they soon relented when i calmly told them to go right ahead and smile as they were on camera

i had positioned myself so it could see all that what transpiring

after a few minutes they all disappeared, cursing and threatening when they saw it was running (led flashing)

i just laughed at them as they left but they had the last laugh as there is an ugly scar on the paint that will have to sorted eventually

never mind, at least i left unscathed ..........

i knew writing about something like this would be tempting fate

same day i wrote it, i have had another incident !

my wifes driving, she encounters a car slowly weaving all over the road, nearly hitting us as she attempts to pass him

so much so that she aborts and pulls back

this happens a few times and she says he is doing it on purpose

anyway, she manages to get past him eventually and gives him a good blast on the horn while doing so

after which he speeds up, chases her and comes behind us at the next lights blasting his horn

i see a farang get out the car, i see him doing so and get out myself from the passenger side to stop him getting to my wifes window

he is obviously excited, maybe a little high or drunk but i did not smell any booze on him

anyway after a lot of shouting and blathering about what he is going to do to me, he finally lets fly, misses and it culminates in a one sided boxing lesson from me

a passing policeman arrives and my wife tells police what happened to cause such a thing and that the guy tried to draw first blood

this account is backed up by the local shopkeepers and even the motorcy taxi guys!!

the guy is still shouting and screaming, but at the policeman now instead of me

the guy is angry because he has been knocked around and never landed a punch

also that i knocked off his sunglasses and then stamped on them

i laughed when he said, ''he did not need to break my glasses, he did it on purpose!''

anyway the policemen is sick of the guys shouting at him and quickly decides who is at fault

policeman wants to arrest him and asks me what i want to do.

i say i can't be bothered with him, i think he's been humiliated enough but for the sake of not upsetting the policeman, i say i will go along with what the policeman wants to do

policemen gives him a good talking to and eventually tells him to get out of there before he arrests him

the rear camera was not called into play as evidence but it was a comfort to know that all the time this incident was unfolding, it was being recorded

also conversely it kept me on track during the fight and was i careful to behave in such a way that i was not seen to be the aggressor

so that if needed it could be shown later to show who was the guilty party

moral of the story to you boys, get a camera!

maybe after writing this i need to stay at home today, after all he did scream that he was going to kill me .........

Not tried it (yet) but for Android smartphone owners https://play.google....hboardcam&hl=en

Above only stores stills, but saves space.

How about this for video https://play.google....Wx5cm9hZHMudiJd

I have a Daily Roads Voyager (your 2nd link) on my phone. Hardly ever used it though.

It can do both Vids and Stills. It's full of features, can cycle the space you allocate for the files, GPS, G-Force sencitive (in case of a hit, it would save the file from being written over it), lots and lots of other features. A must have if you don't have a cam setup as a few members here.

• Like 1

Cameras can get in Tuk com below 2'000 Baht. I have all my cars equipped with them. Tho only problem is, if you fith them with the original holder on the windscreen, they get hot and than they not work at all.

So you have to place them very careful. The best thing is under the sunviser, to protect them from the heat (not on the windscreen). Yo have to modify your own holder. So buy one, where you can attach a screw on the top. to fit a modyfied holder, which you can stick under the sunviser.

• 1 month later...

.heres my set up

Hi,

so about 10,000 baht

in fact, i am thinking of adding two more to cover any side issues not seen by the front and rear setups

they called someone and i was soon surrounded by a angry mob in an arriving pickup and the local roadside food vendors who were also anxious to get involved

despite being outnumbered 10 -1 by men. woman and children now armed with sticks they had found in the area

they soon relented when i calmly told them to go right ahead and smile as they were on camera

after a few minutes they all disappeared, cursing and threatening when they saw it was running (led flashing)

i just laughed at them as they left but they had the last laugh as there is an ugly scar on the paint that will have to sorted eventually

my wifes driving, she encounters a car slowly weaving all over the road, nearly hitting us as she attempts to pass him

anyway, she manages to get past him eventually and gives him a good blast on the horn while doing so

after which he speeds up, chases her and comes behind us at the next lights blasting his horn

i see a farang get out the car, i see him doing so and get out myself from the passenger side to stop him getting to my wifes window

he is obviously excited, maybe a little high or drunk but i did not smell any booze on him

anyway after a lot of shouting and blathering about what he is going to do to me, he finally lets fly, misses and it culminates in a one sided boxing lesson from me

a passing policeman arrives and my wife tells police what happened to cause such a thing and that the guy tried to draw first blood

this account is backed up by the local shopkeepers and even the motorcy taxi guys!!

i laughed when he said, ''he did not need to break my glasses, he did it on purpose!''

anyway the policemen is sick of the guys shouting at him and quickly decides who is at fault

i say i can't be bothered with him, i think he's been humiliated enough but for the sake of not upsetting the policeman, i say i will go along with what the policeman wants to do

policemen gives him a good talking to and eventually tells him to get out of there before he arrests him

the rear camera was not called into play as evidence but it was a comfort to know that all the time this incident was unfolding, it was being recorded

also conversely it kept me on track during the fight and was i careful to behave in such a way that i was not seen to be the aggressor

maybe after writing this i need to stay at home today, after all he did scream that he was going to kill me .........

I look forward to when you post the vid.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since I last posted, and since then it has been my experience that the traffic police are quick to spot these gadgets, and I therefore don't get the opportunity to contribute to their benevolent fund any-more! I had lived here for 6 years before getting a dash cam and had never ever been inside a Thai police station... Since getting the cam 6 months ago, I have been inside twice paying fines!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back in LOS from long trip, thanks for all the helpful posters on this thread. Must say, it was pretty relaxing doing a long road trip in North America. Hardly any mopeds ('bikes'), not a single person going the wrong way, pretty consistent speeds and signaling biggrin.png

Still glad to be back, but certainly feel like I am in a video game whilst driving and will use some of the helpful info posted to get some video equipment. wai.gif

• 2 months later...

The most of car camera installed on the front of the car, it's on the windscreen, like this

you do not need two.

We have in both of our cars two camera's, one is attached to the GPS and thus records (on screen) also speed and other things, this one is mounted on the Front Windscreen. And the other camera is just a "dumb" one that is attached to rear window.

If you read the post #9 from TimeKeeper.

You will see that 2 Camera's can make a difference

<snip>

I purchased a Vision Drive camera a year ago, it fits beside the mirror on the windscreen and also has the adaptor fitted for a rear camera if required.

Starts automatically when you fire up the car or turn the power on. It also records the sound, which can be turned on or off.

Easy installation and can be moved between cars or bikes with ease, although not recommended for bike if raining. It has numerous sensitivity settings, has GPS and Google map tracker as well.

I highly recommend this great camera.

Can watch on the small screen, or plug into TV, or use memory card in PC.

I purchased mine off the guy at the Gold Coast in Qld and his service is great.

Check out the website below for all the info and prices.

The guy’s name is John Asson.

www.visiondrive.com.au

mailto:[email protected]

OZEMADE

I purchased a Vision Drive camera a year ago, it fits beside the mirror on the windscreen and also has the adaptor fitted for a rear camera if required.

Starts automatically when you fire up the car or turn the power on. It also records the sound, which can be turned on or off.

Easy installation and can be moved between cars or bikes with ease, although not recommended for bike if raining. It has numerous sensitivity settings, has GPS and Google map tracker as well.

I highly recommend this great camera.

Can watch on the small screen, or plug into TV, or use memory card in PC.

I purchased mine off the guy at the Gold Coast in Qld and his service is great.

Check out the website below for all the info and prices.

The guy’s name is John Asson.

www.visiondrive.com.au

mailto:[email protected]

OZEMADE

Please use this second Vision Drive web site. The first one has been hijacked by someone.

http://www.visiondrive.net.au/

I just have purchased a 5" GPS with HD DVR for $80 or something. Arrived in 1 day via UPS (17% total tax a plus, but hey it arrived quick!).

It is win ce 6.0 device with 500mhz cpu / 128Mb ram for gps and 1280x720 HD 30 fps car hd dvr in one package.

After I test it a while, I'll write my opinions here.

.heres my set up

I have the same one as yours..in HD format..got mine at 2k baht..if anyone is intrested..i can assist to get for u...

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect App

.heres my set up

Hi,

so about 10,000 baht

Moral of the story should be never give another car a good blast on the horn, it could have been a drunken Thai with a gun.

I have the same one as yours..in HD format..got mine at 2k baht..if anyone is intrested..i can assist to get for u...

Where did you buy it for 2k? I'm interested as it saves me some money from buying the set from china.

I bought it from S'pore..if u're staying in BKK+intrested-I could meet u up and sell u my unused set 1st and will buy another one when I get back to S'pore.

Will be in BKK from 18-23rd Oct and PM me to arrange!

• 2 weeks later...