A 300 Bahts Burger In The Sticks

surayu

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"

Went recently out for dinner with a nicely shaped friend of mine, curious to try this new place out.

Around our area (Prachinburi region), we haven't got the choices of western food easily available in more civilized areas..."

And us whiteys wonder why the locals call us kwai laugh.png

Mai phen rai....it's the course. Most don't get it and never will.

Siliwai....rolleyes.gif

Zzaa09, that is called having taste, as most of us still have a well functioning palate biggrin.png

I doubt that very much.....even if you [and most like you] consider this to be so.

Delusion can be a serious affliction.

Best have that looked after.

Edited by zzaa09

a 300 thb burger ................

today i fancied a bit of real food so decided id have a farang style sandwich

(i bought al ingredients in the big C )

i bought a small loaf of brown wheat bread -99 thb (called village loaf topped with oats )

3 slices of barbequed ham (from the thai -german meat co ) 55thb per slice =165 thb

small block of mature cheddar cheese -199 thb

some butter and lettuce - around 100 thb i think

563 thb from thailands cheapest supermarket to get stuff to make a proper sandwich

and worth every thb ............

Bangkok Ham Co. has its own shops, where a very nice smoked "Paris" style ham is under B250/kg, and they'll slice it paper thin for you if you like.

The so-called five-star hotel down the street from me has 50% off its very nice bakery products at 7pm, 20B for a nice crusty loaf, 30B for the whole-wheat nutty sort if you prefer. If it's a bit stale the next day, slice it thick and toast it up first.

Cheese is the expensive part indeed, I prefer Vintage tasty and slice it thin.

Nice tomatoes can be tough to find at supermarkets, but Klong Toey where I go has them for 25B a kg, nice smelling with the stems still attached - but still nothing like home-grown, do lust for that!

Mix up a nice mustard with the English (actually Chinese) style bright yellow powder, plus the dark French's, and a bit of honey.

Result - sandwiches better than any New York deli, and under B30 each if you don't pile it *too* high.

Of course I can't count this in my regular food budget, but when friends visits and use the spare room, ask "what can I contribute" this is it, very special treat for the kids too. . .

• Like 2

only been back a month so no western craving but after living in the US for a year eating Western food here would be incredibly disappointing. the western food here is shit. especially the bread. for a while in the US i was addicted to corn beef + real swiss cheese + thousand island + grey poupon mustard + real sour pickles made from salt not vinegar + saurkraut on toasted pumpernickel.

Mmmm....

Why were you eating burgers,

when there is do much good local food around....................

There is also a lot of poor quality, crap local food around.

International food can be a welcome change - unless, of course, you are SO integrated that your judgement has become impaired.

• Like 1

There is also a lot of poor quality, crap local food around.

International food can be a welcome change - unless, of course, you are SO integrated that your judgement has become impaired.

LOL.

that would be the same people who think fishermen's pants look good on them

• Like 1

only been back a month so no western craving but after living in the US for a year eating Western food here would be incredibly disappointing. the western food here is shit. especially the bread. for a while in the US i was addicted to corn beef + real swiss cheese + thousand island + grey poupon mustard + real sour pickles made from salt not vinegar + saurkraut on toasted pumpernickel.

Mmmm....

I'm betting if not a New Yorker, then from the area?

I usually get bored of eating the same stuff over and over, that's how i started to try food's from other countries and become even more attached to my own food biggrin.png

Some of the very basic thai food are masterpieces of the culinary art, however, the large majority of the local dishes i usually came across, seems to have been developed to let the diners becomes some sort of human torches, it really burns !!

As that is not my idea of enjoyment while seating at the dinner table, i tend to skip them over.

For some other local delicacies i just don't dare to give them a try, like the BBQ's lizards or the raw meat they put in a bowl mixed with some vegetable in the middle of the table and then they all eat from that bowl with bare hands, add some fish paste to these delicacies and then you will easily understand how somebody decide to run into a 7/11

• Like 1

I usually get bored of eating the same stuff over and over, that's how i started to try food's from other countries and become even more attached to my own food biggrin.png

Some of the very basic thai food are masterpieces of the culinary art, however, the large majority of the local dishes i usually came across, seems to have been developed to let the diners becomes some sort of human torches, it really burns !!

As that is not my idea of enjoyment while seating at the dinner table, i tend to skip them over.

For some other local delicacies i just don't dare to give them a try, like the BBQ's lizards or the raw meat they put in a bowl mixed with some vegetable in the middle of the table and then they all eat from that bowl with bare hands, add some fish paste to these delicacies and then you will easily understand how somebody decide to run into a 7/11

Just had a classic Thai local meal.

A 99 baht BBQ.

The food was <deleted>. The best part (in quality terms) was the tofu, marginally beating the pak choy. I will not comment on the meat element of what was available. Oh, the squid was OK. A large bottle of LEO 70 Baht ! - they must cut their throat on the 99Baht food bit.

HOWEVER. I was with friends and we a great night out. The ambiance was good and the owners friendly - albeit weak service.

I didn't choose the venue for a culinary experience. If I wanted really good food I would have ate in my own restaurant - I picked the BBQ for a change and for ambiance.

The restaurant is called Peony, and it opened less than five days ago.

They do not appear to have their act together yet, however, the menu does look good, if not a little steeply priced for Kabinburi.

(The "Euro" food prices seem to be aimed at foreign experts and Thai management working in the Sahapat factory complex next door, however, since they are mainly Japanese and Korean, I think their main clientel for hamburgers might not exist.)

Pity actually, because it is nearly impossible to find a hamburger, other than KFC abominations, in the whole Jungwat.

To add that this week, just about every restaurant and entertainment venue around town has been extremely quiet. It seems most are saving for Songkran.

why has nobody commented on the fact that it is kitted out like the inside of a back-lit vagina stuffed with cheap banquet tables and frilly seat covers?

I don't understand the concept of a home made burger when a meat loaf can be prepared instead...with mash and gravy...but then, one does need an oven...

from the film 'The Green Mile' and a condemned man orders his last meal: 'meat loaf, mashed taters and gravy...and some nice corn bread...'

yassuh...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

why has nobody commented on the fact that it is kitted out like the inside of a back-lit vagina stuffed with cheap banquet tables and frilly seat covers?

I'll let the owner know next time I eat there. I am sure he will be pleased with this feedback..... :lol:

I'll let the owner know next time I eat there. I am sure he will be pleased with this feedback..... laugh.png

Gee, we need a place like that north of Mae Taeng like maybe Chiang Dao! Up here there is a dearth of hamburgers if you exclude the high end resorts up the Mae Taeng River that charge almost 500 baht for a burger that is as intimidating as it is delicious. If anyone knows of places to get a burger up HWY 107 way north of Chiang Mai, post away. Even if they don't have back-lighting, that is okay......