A 300 Bahts Burger In The Sticks

surayu

Went recently out for dinner with a nicely shaped friend of mine, curious to try this new place out.

Around our area (Prachinburi region), we haven't got the choices of western food easily available in more civilized areas and this place was looking promising.

Once inside we realize that no other customers were around, really, nobody at all at dinner time, and there was something between 5 and 10 people apparently working on the floor area.

I understand that efforts have been made to make the place looks better of what is around, apart from the toilettes that make you feel as you are in a petrol station, but how can one expect to sell a burger for a whole day wage of a local person??

Seems to be another case of thai business sense at his best....

post-73039-0-88071300-1334006421_thumb.j

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"

Went recently out for dinner with a nicely shaped friend of mine, curious to try this new place out.

Around our area (Prachinburi region), we haven't got the choices of western food easily available in more civilized areas..."

And us whiteys wonder why the locals call us kwai laugh.png

• Like 2

"

Around our area (Prachinburi region), we haven't got the choices of western food easily available in more civilized areas..."

Yeah I'm surprised the locals didn't pop him in a big black cauldron and try to boil and eat him.

• Like 1

"

Yeah I'm surprised the locals didn't pop him in a big black cauldron and try to boil and eat him.

especially if he was 'nicely shaped'...

"

especially if he was 'nicely shaped'...

I've got the image of somebody shaped like a dodecahedron.....

• Like 1

The question arises when you see these apparently anti-economic situations: is it REALLY a restaurant, or could it be (also):

1. a money-laundering operation

2. a tax write-off

3. a busywork project for a wife/mistress/lover who has too much free time

4. an excuse for a business visa

5. and so forth... :P

The question arises when you see these apparently anti-economic situations: is it REALLY a restaurant, or could it be (also):

1. a money-laundering operation

2. a tax write-off

3. a busywork project for a wife/mistress/lover who has too much free time

4. an excuse for a business visa

5. and so forth... tongue.png

My thoughts exactly. I always wondered about the pricing at restaurants in Pattaya. I would walk by a dozen of them with no customers and then come to one place that had to turn customers away. Then, out of curiosity I started checking prices. The empty restaurants were all wanting 200 baht and upwards even for a simple Thai meal: Padt Thai, Kow Padt, Kai hut sai, etc. Those meals can be had just about anywhere for 30 to 50 baht. Then, their fancy fish dishes were offered at 300 baht upwards. No wonder there were no customers. I don't know what they did to pay their business rent. We pretty much nailed it down to eating at the same 3 or 4 places each night. Those places always had good prices and were always full.

"

Maybe a bit too old and gristly ;)

Yeah, but how were the burgers?

Ulysses i had noodles biggrin.png , which is a dish i love and was more sensitively priced.

Off course i could easily have gone for the burger, but i wasn't in the mood for a disappointment that night, so after a brief thinking, summing up the rock hardness of the local beef + the fairness used by too many businesses in pricing up theyr products, i had a satisfactory and tasty meal.

Is it this referred to choosing western food instead of cheap local food?

If yes, i like many thai dishes, but i still prefere to eat western food if there is a chance, do you think it is a crime or silly if one follow his own taste? i didn't relocate in this area for the choice of available restaurants if this might help you in casting your judgements...biggrin.png

cheesy.gif ...that's only because i only step inside once they have already been feed, i presume partytime2.gif

• Like 1

Maybe the 42" TV put people off.

Is there really a necessity to have TV's in this quality of restaurant ?

Was the shape of your companion relevant to this story ?

That was not a tv, but a projector fixed on the ceiling, it was much bigger than 42", but what you can see on the pic is the "mirror" like reflection of it on a window located on the other side (the actual projector/projected area is not on this pic).

It was a nice touch though.

The additional details were putted in just to give a better idea of the current scenario, that's all

Yes is it just a restaurant ?

​place i have been to a few times over the years, is also almost empty, couple of time we were the only ones there, lots of staff, mostly the food is very good and not expensive........ few months ago looked while there, they are a Hotel, many trays of food were going to the rooms, they also cater for big functions and private parties

​As it is near me and out in the sticks can see when passing, drove past on Feb 14 car park was full of cars + at least 3 big tour buses...

So maybe it is just the odd times in the week when i go ? they must be doing OK as have visited them maybe 3 - 4 times a year for past 8 years.

When I make a burger at home, they cost at least 250b each.

That is because 200 baht of it is the imported cheese.

150 I would say.

15 Baht for a still warm roll from the French bakery down the road.

7-10 Baht for salad I guess.

4 Baht for a fried egg.

60-70 Baht for quality minced beef (big burger)

I use Gruyère cheese both inside the meat and melted on top which at a guess costs 50 Baht max.

When I make a burger at home, they cost at least 250b each.

That is because 200 baht of it is the imported cheese.

150 I would say.

15 Baht for a still warm roll from the French bakery down the road.

7-10 Baht for salad I guess.

4 Baht for a fried egg.

60-70 Baht for quality minced beef (big burger)

I use Gruyère cheese both inside the meat and melted on top which at a guess costs 50 Baht max.

stop talking about gourmet burgers ,im starving and all we have here is MSG thai food

The restaurant is called Peony, and it opened less than five days ago.

They do not appear to have their act together yet, however, the menu does look good, if not a little steeply priced for Kabinburi.

(The "Euro" food prices seem to be aimed at foreign experts and Thai management working in the Sahapat factory complex next door, however, since they are mainly Japanese and Korean, I think their main clientel for hamburgers might not exist.)

Pity actually, because it is nearly impossible to find a hamburger, other than KFC abominations, in the whole Jungwat.

To add that this week, just about every restaurant and entertainment venue around town has been extremely quiet. It seems most are saving for Songkran.

stop talking about gourmet burgers ,im starving and all we have here is MSG thai food

Gourmet lol

The gourmet burger is...

70% venison and 30% 70-30 chuck (needs fat and not much in venison)

Roll out on an oiled surface to 6-7mm thick

Make 2 patties with a 4" cookie cutter.

Cut a 3" yellow onion to get 2 raw rings and blanch for 20 seconds.

Place the 2 rings in the middle of one patty to make a fence

Crack a quails into the middle

Sprinkle within the confines of the fence some smoked knot cheese from Kazakhstan

Egg-wash outside the fence and place the other patty on top.

Lightly press down the area outside the fence to create a seal.

Cook for a couple of minutes each side taking great care.

That is a gourmet burger.

Edited by notmyself
  • Like 1

Gourmet lol

The gourmet burger is...

70% venison and 30% 70-30 chuck (needs fat and not much in venison)

Roll out on an oiled surface to 6-7mm thick

Make 2 patties with a 4" cookie cutter.

Cut a 3" yellow onion to get 2 raw rings and blanch for 20 seconds.

Place the 2 rings in the middle of one patty to make a fence

Crack a quails into the middle

Sprinkle within the confines of the fence some smoked knot cheese from Kazakhstan

Egg-wash outside the fence and place the other patty on top.

Lightly press down the area outside the fence to create a seal.

Cook for a couple of minutes each side taking great care.

That is a gourmet burger.

I'll settle for a Whopper with cheese. licklips.gif

Pity actually, because it is nearly impossible to find a hamburger, other than KFC abominations, in the whole Jungwat.

...have you ever heard of a place called 7/11 ? laugh.png

• Like 1

Yes, they don't sell hamburgers, only a mess that looks similar in their photos. spamsign.gif

That's a new one. Might be a little hard to source though. biggrin.png

There are some sort of strong ties with the Kazakhis in Walking Street Pattaya, you might be able to strike a truly cheese deal there....

Yes, they don't sell hamburgers, only a mess that looks similar in their photos. spamsign.gif

i know what you mean , in fact they might know this too and renamed the "entities" with fancy names, as "Samurai" to just quote one.....

However, since the day i saw a muffin being travestite as a "mini Panettone" (Tesco), i am ready for the worst

7/11 Burgers......

Two all rubber patties, bitter sweet sauce on a sesame seed sponge. errhhgggg not really a gourmet burgher :lol: