Settlement Visa Success

A huge thank you to all the regular and occaisional contributors to this forum. The advice given by and to various correspondents has either directly or inderectly helped my g/f and I make a successful application.

A few points from our experience may help others in a similar situation. My g/f had overstayed and worked in UK on a tourist visa.

Nevertheless, following the advice given in this forum we presented a strong paper application collated and indexed in a 4 ring binder. The binder contained:

a letter of sponsorship from me staing among other things that we have known each other for nearly two years, how and where we met, when and where we became engaged;

proof of my income (pay slips, bank statements and a letter from my employer)

proof of suitable accommodation being available (tenancy agreement and letter from landlord)

copies of all e-mails that I had sent her;

copies of all e-mails that she had sent to me;

listing of all SMS messages sent to her and received from her;

copy phone bills (landlines, mobile phones and indirect dialing accounts)

all letters, birthday cards and postcards from me to her (including the envelopes);

same from her to me;

photographs of us together annotated with date and place; and

copies of all correspondence with the embassy.

In addition, my letter of sponsorship (cross referenced to the relevant e-mails) gave details of our wedding plans so far - ie the planned date and place for the wedding to take place.

My g/f went to the embassy smartly dressed.

Whilst waiting for her an unsuccesful applicant emerged into Wireless Road who was asked about but did not know the ages and dates of birth of close members of her boyfriend's family. Another was asked about her wedding plans, but none had been made, and a third was turned down because she had not submitted any photographs of her and her b/f together - very sad particularly as the b/f and his parents had travelled to the LOS to support her application and were waiting outside the embassy.

She was interviewed twice for a total of an hour and a half. During her interviews the ECO cross questioned her about her previous tourist visa application.

Of more direct interest to other applicants is that she was cross questioned on my telephone bills! The ECO wanted to know what other telephone numbers I had been calling in Thailand. As it happened, they were all numbers that she had given me to call her on, and she was able to answer this question.

She was also asked who had bought and paid for her engagement ring. Fortunatly, we had included the receipt for her ring in the bundle of documents, which clearly showed it was bought on my credit card.

Know your application, It pays to be well prepared.

Once again, a huge thanks to all who have helped us through this forum.

Congratulations and thanks for the info too.

I was thinking about downloading all my SMS messages but thought not to bother - the phone has been nicked now anyway but when i get my new one after your post I will do this.

I wil have to do it for both of us though - my outgoing and her incoming.

I would also be a bit worried about questions about my family such as birth dates - to be honest I do not know most of them - we are just like that in our family and some members are even estranged.

Telephone bills are a bit of a worry too - I just do not have any as I work away from the UK presently and live in serviced apartments using PAYG.

I do have a collection of Phone Cards though :o

Still I have at least 6 more months to build up a folder similar to yours - it pays to be well prepared and it looks like you were.

She was interviewed twice for a total of an hour and a half. During her interviews the ECO cross questioned her about her previous tourist visa application.

Bearing in mind that only 45 minutes of an ECO's time are allocated for dealing with a settlement application, that's quite an interrogation. It would appear that the visa officer was not immediately inclined to grant the visa, but a thorough application and your girlfriend's ability to answer the questions has done the trick.

Well done.

Scouse.

Obviously, as a previous overstayer, she was always going to be subject to greater scrutiny than the average applicant.

But you covered that, and prepared thoroughly. Result; success! Well done!

Prakanong2005,

I don't fully understand why sometimes the ECO asks about birth dates of the sponsor's family, but if asked something like; "What is your boyfriend's mother's date of birth?" a perfectly reasonable and acceptable answer would be something like; "I don't know, but I think she's about 50." My wife was asked for the names of my parents; she replied "He calls them Mum and Dad."

Keep the phone cards and include them in the application, with a note to explain why you cannot provide itemised phone records.

Thanks for the input GU22

If I knew I was staying 6 more months where I am I would go for the EU Family Permit then moveback to the UK but now think it better to go through any process only once.

My best pal is a Diplomat (Commercial side) and says I should have no problem and although I am usually a half full glass type of guy I have to admit having concerns more than i probably should have.