Why The Big Forum Obsession With Thai-Chinese Tail?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have only been on here a short time and I really enjoy most threads apart from:

1. Guys asking relationship advice about how to deal with their hooker.

2. That guy that cannot help himself mentioning his exotic thai-chinese wife at every given opportunity.

Happy new year people I hope it's a good one for you!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

• Like 1

Of course, everyone's different. Personally, I didn't really see the point of coming to a country chock full of beautiful dark skinned honeys to hook up with a pasty-skinned woman with an unhealthy fear of sunlight. I can understand the Thais obsession with whiter skin since their beauty industry would be remiss in its duty if it didn't try - like it does in every country in the world - to sell the majority something they can never possess permanently without committing to a lifetime of cosmetics purchases. What I can't fathom is the obvious taste for it among a predominantly white-skinned demographic most of whom presumably came here for the brown-skinned women.

What makes you think TV members "came here for the brown-skinned women"? There are many reasons why people move to Thailand and I am sure the exact pigmentation of Thai women's skin is not an important factor for most.

Once here, single guys are likely to be attracted to Thai women of all skin colours, with skin colour likely to be low down on the list of factors that determine which women these guys choose to pursue.

I think the Thai-Chinese wife is just an ongoing TV joke, which is more about indicating that the poster's wife or girlfriend (real or imagined) is not a prostitute.

In some cases (maybe 10% as you suggest) the poster may really have a Thai-Chinese partner, which they proudly mention as they think this indicates their wife is from an above average socio-economic group (and not a prostitute).

I think you might be over emphasising the skin colour element in all of this.

I cannot understand why posters on Thai Visa EVER mention their wives or girlfriends. it always starts off a discussion (often vitroilic) about your partners antecedants. Those that hate Issan hookers, those that have Issan hooker partners who hate the fact the Issan haters percieve themselves to be a cut way above them. Leave wives and girl frinds out of it whenever possible.

• Like 2

Most Thai-Chinese I meet cant speak Chinese, have never been to China, do not hold a Chinese passport and there claim to being Chinese is their great great grandfather was Chinese. How is this being Chinese? The answer of it's my BLOOD is ridiculous - do Chinese have a different blood to the rest of the world?

When does a nationality in ones heritage become obselete? My son is half English half Thai, but if all of his decendants were to marry Thai, would they all say they are English? Even in 2,000,0000 years time?

Edited by mjj
  • Like 1

Most Thai-Chinese I meet cant speak Chinese, have never been to China, do not hold a Chinese passport and there claim to being Chinese is their great great grandfather was Chinese. How is this being Chinese? The answer of it's my BLOOD is ridiculous - do Chinese have a different blood to the rest of the world?

When does a nationality in ones heritage become obselete? My son is half English half Thai, but if all of his decendants were to marry Thai, would they all say they are English? Even in 2,000,0000 years time?

You would have to know more about Thailand and the history of the Chinese immigrants here. The Chinese in Thailand have faced rather harsh and open discrimination over the years. You can read about it. Anyway, Thailand made a smart move by channeling their racism into something more productive which was the forced assimilation of the Chinese. Chinese immigrants in Thailand were forced to assimilate by learning the Thai language ONLY in schools, learning Thai culture and submitting to Thai religious beliefs. Two prominent effects this had on the Chinese here are:

1. they had to leave their Chinese traditions either behind them or at least only treat them secondarily to their new Thai culture

2. they have become the MOST culturally integrated Chinese community outside of China and also the richest and most successful in the world.

There is a resurgence in Thailand of Thai Chinese students going to China for advanced degrees and learning Chinese language in the universities. They still quite value their culture. Look at the food around Thailand. Many of the things you probably eat are of Chinese origin or at least strongly influence by Chinese food/tradition. Same with much of Thai religious belief. Same with much of the language. For instance, if you know anything about Thai language, you know that there are 5 tones. One of the tones, for example, is largely used for borrowed words from Chinese and is not used for much else. If you know many Thai-Chinese, you'd know that they take quite seriously their heritage as it no doubt played some significant role in their ascension to vast wealth and power in Thailand.

Edited by xthAi76s

What's hi-so about being Sino-Thai? The money's nice, but where did it come from?

If your wife's surname is Na Ayudhya, Bounnag or similar you may be able to claim bragging rights... if you like that sort of thing.

It's simply an easy way to make a distinction in Thailand. The Thais of Chinese decent, many would argue, are what have made Thailand half-way decent. They most certainly (even in their relatively small population in Thailand) have racked up the most success and it's quite obvious from the top all way down. Look at the best businesses, the best schools, the most prestigious families, they are overwhelmingly Chinese descent. Thai-Chinese women from decent families usually live a Thai life which is an existence away from your typically more brown, real Thai. They're quite different. Many have been educated abroad in quite good schools in the US, Europe and UK and are realistically far more affluent (financially and culturally) than many Farang here in Thailand. They also go to some lengths to remind many of that. Don't dare confuse them with the average Thais. Here's a list of common THAI stereotypes:

1. Thai-Chinese has prettier, fairer skin and better looks than brown Thai

2. Thai-Chinese has more wealth

3. Thai-Chinese has more power

4. Thai-Chinese has more education

5. Thai-Chinese has more status

ect...

So, generally speaking, Thai-Chinese women (and men) are much more highly regard in Thailand by Thais. Being with a Thai-Chinese girl from a decent or well-established family can be used to say to the guys who marry bar girls in Issan, 'hey, I'm better than you and here's some proof.'

It's also a way to say, 'see, look at you. Despite your White skin privilege and relative 'wealth' to the majority of Thais, you are still a bum to many quite wealthy and travelled (Thais or) Thai-Chinese here who aren't the slightest interested in you or your life. Thusly, you got the bottom of the barrel so-to-speak of the very much poorly regarded, crusty, sunburnt, illiterate, ambition-less, dirty-feet country girls.' A truly accomplished man, be he Farang White or other will be able to pull a respectable woman in any country.

Of course, there are plenty of girls in between these stereotypes, but in Thailand this easy system serves as an easy way to separate oneself from the vast majority of far-from-impressive Western men who have been rolling up on these shores for decades.

Have a Thai-Chinese wife who is from a successful family is like owning a real luxury car, making tons of money, being good looking and intelligent. In other words, it's a way for people to know (generally) that I am quite different from you, so Farang buddy, don't invite over for drinks with your questionable girl friend or wife. We are nothing like you. I speak Thai fluently as a second (or third) language. My wife speaks English fluently as a second (or third) language. She's Ivy League educated as am I with advanced degrees. Etc etc. We are nothing like you and have no interests in pretending that we are, so thanks but no thanks.

Well that pretty much sums it up, I think.
  • Like 1

I would suggest the rise in learning Chinese and going to China for uni is more due to the fact of China's emergence as a power house, not because of their heretige.

I don't know. That's certainly a reasonable argument to consider.

I just happen to know many Thais of Chines descent, and they are culturally rather different from Thais who are not of Chinese descent or haven't adopted Chinese cultural traits. The religion and food are places where it's quite easy to see differences. You can even hear from people within families about differences in the same family between the ethnic Chinese side and the ethnic Thai side.

Just as a potentially interesting note, here's some Chinese food that Thailand has adopted:

Traditional Thai cooking methods were stewing and baking, or grilling. Chinese influences saw the introduction of frying, stir frying and deep-frying.

kao man gai

essentially all noodle dishes

likely most fried rice dishes

so on and so on

So, one could argue that every time a person enjoys one of these foods or prays at certain wats or goes to the river market (traditionally started back when Chinese traders used to trade with the Thais), that he or she is enjoying Chinese culture...

Edited by xthAi76s

It's simply an easy way to make a distinction in Thailand.  The Thais of Chinese decent, many would argue, are what have made Thailand half-way decent.  They most certainly (even in their relatively small population in Thailand) have racked up the most success and it's quite obvious from the top all way down.  Look at the best businesses, the best schools, the most prestigious families, they are overwhelmingly Chinese descent.  Thai-Chinese women from decent families usually live a Thai life which is an existence away from your typically more brown, real Thai.  They're quite different.  Many have been educated abroad in quite good schools in the US, Europe and UK and are realistically far more affluent (financially and culturally) than many Farang here in Thailand.  They also go to some lengths to remind many of that.  Don't dare confuse them with the average Thais.  Here's a list of common THAI stereotypes:

ect...

So, generally speaking, Thai-Chinese women (and men) are much more highly regard in Thailand by Thais.  Being with a Thai-Chinese girl from a decent or well-established family can be used to say to the guys who marry bar girls in Issan, 'hey, I'm better than you and here's some proof.'

It's also a way to say, 'see, look at you.  Despite your White skin privilege and relative 'wealth' to the majority of Thais, you are still a bum to many quite wealthy and travelled (Thais or) Thai-Chinese here who aren't the slightest interested in you or your life.  Thusly, you got the bottom of the barrel so-to-speak of the very much poorly regarded, crusty, sunburnt, illiterate, ambition-less, dirty-feet country girls.'  A truly accomplished man, be he Farang White or other will be able to pull a respectable woman in any country.

Of course, there are plenty of girls in between these stereotypes, but in Thailand this easy system serves as an easy way to separate oneself from the vast majority of far-from-impressive Western men who have been rolling up on these shores for decades.  

Have a Thai-Chinese wife who is from a successful family is like owning a real luxury car, making tons of money, being good looking and intelligent.  In other words, it's a way for people to know (generally) that I am quite different from you, so Farang buddy, don't invite over for drinks with your questionable girl friend or wife.  We are nothing like you.  I speak Thai fluently as a second (or third) language.  My wife speaks English fluently as a second (or third) language.  She's Ivy League educated as am I with advanced degrees.  Etc etc.  We are nothing like you and have no interests in pretending that we are, so thanks but no thanks.

I think it is the make up as in this Chinese lady trying to look Thai.

post-20120-0-11249500-1334633748_thumb.j

You can even hear from people within families about differences in the same family between the ethnic Chinese side and the ethnic Thai side.

And the Hakka regard themselves as being a cut above the rest. (Thaksin Shinawatra and Sondhi Limthonkul are both from Hakka lineage.)

It's simply an easy way to make a distinction in Thailand. The Thais of Chinese decent, many would argue, are what have made Thailand half-way decent. They most certainly (even in their relatively small population in Thailand) have racked up the most success and it's quite obvious from the top all way down. Look at the best businesses, the best schools, the most prestigious families, they are overwhelmingly Chinese descent. Thai-Chinese women from decent families usually live a Thai life which is an existence away from your typically more brown, real Thai. They're quite different. Many have been educated abroad in quite good schools in the US, Europe and UK and are realistically far more affluent (financially and culturally) than many Farang here in Thailand. They also go to some lengths to remind many of that. Don't dare confuse them with the average Thais. Here's a list of common THAI stereotypes:

ect...

So, generally speaking, Thai-Chinese women (and men) are much more highly regard in Thailand by Thais. Being with a Thai-Chinese girl from a decent or well-established family can be used to say to the guys who marry bar girls in Issan, 'hey, I'm better than you and here's some proof.'

It's also a way to say, 'see, look at you. Despite your White skin privilege and relative 'wealth' to the majority of Thais, you are still a bum to many quite wealthy and travelled (Thais or) Thai-Chinese here who aren't the slightest interested in you or your life. Thusly, you got the bottom of the barrel so-to-speak of the very much poorly regarded, crusty, sunburnt, illiterate, ambition-less, dirty-feet country girls.' A truly accomplished man, be he Farang White or other will be able to pull a respectable woman in any country.

Have a Thai-Chinese wife who is from a successful family is like owning a real luxury car, making tons of money, being good looking and intelligent. In other words, it's a way for people to know (generally) that I am quite different from you, so Farang buddy, don't invite over for drinks with your questionable girl friend or wife. We are nothing like you. I speak Thai fluently as a second (or third) language. My wife speaks English fluently as a second (or third) language. She's Ivy League educated as am I with advanced degrees. Etc etc. We are nothing like you and have no interests in pretending that we are, so thanks but no thanks.

I think it is the make up as in this Chinese lady trying to look Thai.

:)

If you do some research on this, you will find a significant percentage of the population has some Chinese lineage. One report I read was 50%. My Issan wife is 25% Chinese. Luckily, none of it shows up in her personality. I find the Chinese to be aggressive, corrupt, greedy and self centered. Not as loving and generous as the "Thais". Just my humble opinion. I also find the pasty white skin makes them look sick. If I wanted that, I would have stayed in my home country. Tanned skin is great!

This is an interesting read:

The Thai Chinese are an overseas Chinese community who live in Thailand. Thailand is home to the largest, oldest, most prominent, and most integrated overseas Chinese community in the world with a population of approximately 9.5 million people. Most Thai Chinese have been in Thailand for five generations or more; the Thai-Chinese have been deeply ingrained into all elements of Thai society for the past 400 years. The present Thai royal family, the Chakri Dynasty, was founded by King Rama I who himself was partly Chinese. His predecessor, King Taksin of Thonburi dynastry, was the son of Chinese immigrant from Guangdong Province and was born with a Chinese name. Nearly all of Thai Chinese identify themselves as being Thai due to the highly successful integration of Chinese communities into Thai society. In addition, over half of ethnic Thais (the rest are southern Thai who are mostly of Malay descent) are descendants of people who migrated from southern China approximately 1,000 years ago and are directly associated, racially, culturally, and linguistically, with China's modern day ethnic minority group, the Dai people.

Sad that this group has come to dominate every aspect of Thai society.

KerryK - am not insecure in the slightest. I learned not to be when I was in the S.A.S. before hooking up with my very rich, well educated Hiso Sino-Thai wife. And I was a Concorde pilot.

Sorry. I`m in one of those moods today.

Ok coming from a expat who's married to a Thai-Chinese woman from a decent family;

What I can't understand is some westerners obsession with other westerners who are with Thai Chinese women who come from a decent back ground. They always come off sounding like spiteful crabs, jealous and mocking. Almost as if to say, "I rescued some splay toed Essan hooker from the bar and a broken family, why didn't you?!?"

Guys, really, stop riding us, we don't care who you marry here, why do you care about us?

My wife is a good cook and has a tight *****. Now those are qualities that would endear a women to most men.

cheesy.gif

• Like 1

If I wanted a tall, modern, independent, fair skinned, ego driven loudmouth whose main priority was not (ME) then I would have stayed in my home country and endured that evolution in progress and continued to happily participate in my Emasculation.

Don't get me wrong. I love the China Thai Rachadapisek massage girls but those UP2U LBFM LaoThai soulmates are priceless.

• Like 1

KerryK - am not insecure in the slightest. I learned not to be when I was in the S.A.S. before hooking up with my very rich, well educated Hiso Sino-Thai wife. And I was a Concorde pilot.

Your backround explains it all. You excel when you are subordinate. smile.png

Thanks for your service.

Do bargirls make bad wives?

If someone was a bargirl for one day, are they tarnished forever?

Xth, just playing devils advocate, but are you saying your wife is better than every bargirl? Or ex-bargirl?

KerryK -  am not insecure in the slightest. I learned not to be when I was in the S.A.S. before hooking up with my very rich, well educated Hiso Sino-Thai wife. And I was a Concorde pilot.

Your backround explains it all. You excel when you are subordinate. smile.png

Thanks for your service.

How DARE you, sir? I was a Captain. I just don`t like talking about it, or my black belts in Kung <deleted> and Karate. Now away with you. I have Donald Trump on hold needing some advice....