How Strict Are The Working Laws Here

petercallen

i honestly do not think doing any housework on your own house is a breach of any kind. BECAUSE you are not engaged in a commercial or business environment.

Sure tourist police can stop and TRY to make a case, but i doubt they would insist if you simply do not comply with them, AGAIN because you are not involved in a commercial activity of any kind.

Of course if your spouse owns a restaurant and you are painting it or stacking the fridge, you are in breach. because it is a commercial premises

The Tourist Police or any other police does not hae jurisdiction on work permits. It is a matter for the local Employment Office. So if a police officer of any kind tries to interfere with your grass cutting or whatever, tell them to piss off. OIr to call the EO.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i honestly do not think doing any housework on your own house is a breach of any kind. BECAUSE you are not engaged in a commercial or business environment.

Sure tourist police can stop and TRY to make a case, but i doubt they would insist if you simply do not comply with them, AGAIN because you are not involved in a commercial activity of any kind.

Of course if your spouse owns a restaurant and you are painting it or stacking the fridge, you are in breach. because it is a commercial premises

The Tourist Police or any other police does not hae jurisdiction on work permits. It is a matter for the local Employment Office. So if a police officer of any kind tries to interfere with your grass cutting or whatever, tell them to piss off. OIr to call the EO.

It only took 4 pages for a sensible response? Must be a record for the Phuket Forum.

That is actually grossly incorrect.

Any police officer, including tourist police, DSI or immigration officer have the right to request to see your WP and should you fail to produce one, have the right to place you under arrest.

Police does not have jurisdiction on issuing WP, but be assured have full jurisdiction to request to see one and take appropriate actions.

One of DSI special units responsibility is to follow up on all foreigner related crimes and law breaking, working without WP is against the lawthumbsup.gif

PS. I am not talking about doing chores on your own house, i have already expressed my opinion on that matter:)

Edited by phl

It only took 4 pages for a sensible response? Must be a record for the Phuket Forum.

are you lost? we are on thai visa forum, try another bookmarktongue.png

That is actually grossly incorrect.

Any police officer, including tourist police, DSI or immigration officer have the right to request to see your WP and should you fail to produce one, have the right to place you under arrest.

Police does not have jurisdiction on issuing WP, but be assured have full jurisdiction to request to see one and take appropriate actions.

One of DSI special units responsibility is to follow up on all foreigner related crimes and law breaking, working without WP is against the lawthumbsup.gif

PS. I am not talking about doing chores on your own house, i have already expressed my opinion on that matter:)

Good post. I must say I thought 'BillR's post was a strange one, as there had been several accurate, sensible replies already in the thread and the one he was complementing and saying was the first decent one, wasn't very accurate at all.

Perhaps he just meant your post and included the other one by mistake?

Edited by HongKongPhooey

• 4 weeks later...

The definition of "work" that requires a work permit from Section 5 of the 2008 Working of Aliens Act:

"'Working' means working by physical strength or knowledge whether or not intended for wages or any other benefits."

Following the principle of Thailand's civil law system that likes very broad brush laws that be interpreted and re-interpreted at the whims of ministries and the courts, this definition is incredibly vague and broad. However, it would be extremely difficult to interpret your own house work or gardening as work and I am sure a court would throw out such a case. I think it is necessary for some one else to gain a benefit, even if you don't. However, doing anything at all in some one business, even if it is a Thai wife's business is clearly work.

Unfortunately many frivolous WP cases are brought by police and prosecutors in order to intimidate foreigners, re-inforce the police protection rackets extorting money from businesses employing foreigners without WPs or due to the action of a competing business. Some of these cases could perhaps successfully be fought in court, like the case a few years ago of some one arrested for jamming in a bar in Chiang Mai that was thrown out by a judge who compared it to singing in a karaoke bar for personal entertainment. But most "offenders" either bribe their way out or plead guilty to get a fine and finish matters.