Thai Bank Recommendations..?

I have been impressed with Siam Commercial Pattaya Beach Road branch. I have made numerous wire transfers from my US Citibank with no problems and the money has always been there the very next day. It does appear that things have changed for opening new accounts because I sent a friend there to open an account and he had to go to immigration for some sort of paperwork. After he had the proper paperwork things went smoothly.

Hi Gary,Exactly what info does Citibank need for your wire xfers to your SCB acct. in Pattaya?

I want to compare notes here to what Ive been told I need to provide Schwab with for my SCB acct. here in C.Mai to do wire xfers, Thanx much in advance,the harpman

I need to open a Thia Bank account in advance of my Non-Imm Retirement Visa..

Any recommendations for ease/costs of transfers to/from USA..? Service in LOS (in English), online banking, ATM's etc. etc.

I notice Kasikorn Bank seems very "Hi-Tech" these days... and someone else recommended Bangkok Bank.. but...

Cheers

ChrisP

Hi Chris

I recently opened an account with Kasikornbank on the strength of a UK passport with only a 30 day tourist stamp. I have since sucessfuly wired money to and from the UK via the account with no problems. Also have ATM card.

The clincher on opening the account was getting a free plastic green? chicken money box.

TBWG :o

I moved my account from Bangkok bank after 15 years as a customer,

as they had no idea how to manage the queues for the teller positions,

and I did not want to spend my life waiting..........

I now bank with Krung Thai.

They are helpful and efficient.

Foreign transfers come through without undue delay.

Citibank allows me to do everything on-line. They ask for the Swift code for your Thai bank. Siam Comm. gave me a paper with all the information written on the paper. When you go to set up a Citibank transfer there will be a form asking for your authorization number. You choose the option to have that number sent to your email address on record. You need your permanent Thai address as well as your telephone number. The fee is a flat $30 regardless of the amount of the transfer. I have checked the exchange rate several times and it always matches the rate shown on my Yahoo home page. I don't know how much Siam Bank charges me other than it is a VERY small fee.

Hi Gary,Exactly what info does Citibank need for your wire xfers to your SCB acct. in Pattaya?

I want to compare notes here to what Ive been told I need to provide Schwab with for my SCB acct. here in C.Mai to do wire xfers, Thanx much in advance,the harpman

Thanachart Bank if you want a bank with the fewest number of customers around (no waiting). Land and Houses are starting up operations in the near future (LH Bank)... should also be fairly light for those who don't like lines as well. With the new banks though, like anyone else, I'd recommend a warming up period where you start with just a few _____ fixed with them and slowly increase it over time.

My personal favorites (note, most of my banking, I rarely need to converse with tellers as I mostly use ATMs and automatic cash deposit machines): Bangkok Bank (Sukapibal 3 and Carrefour Pattaya), Kasikorn Bank (Fashion Island and Big C Pattaya), Krungsri Bank (The Mall Bangkapi... also can't wait to use the new drive through on Sukapibal 2), Siam Commercial Bank (Ladprao 111, mostly for LC's... very fast service and The Mall Bangkapi), and for foreign banks HSBC at the U Chu Liang Building and Citibank on Sathorn.

:o