THAI Chairman Promises A Turn-Around

webfact

AIRLINES

THAI chairman promises a turn-around

Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International chairman Ampon Kittiampon has told shareholders of his determination to see a strong financial performance from the national carrier this year, after it suffered a loss of more than Bt10 billion last year.

He made such a commitment to THAI's shareholder meeting yesterday and said that if he were unable to achieve success, he would not attend next year's meeting and an ''acting'' chairman would take charge instead.

"I will not have a thick enough skin to attend the meeting next year if I cannot do what I am committed to doing,'' he said, acknowledging there were still risks to THAI's business.

Ampon said the carrier would not pay a dividend for last year as it had been hit by several factors that resulted in its huge losses.

He added that this year, he had been working hard with the introduction of aggressive strategies to turn the situation around. One of them is to launch the low-cost airline, Thai Smile, whose first flight will be to Macau on July 7.

Noncore businesses will be in focus this year, with catering and ground services among them. THAI president Piyasvasti Amranand said both of these businesses were posting a net profit of Bt100 million a month.

Piyasvasti also said talk of his resignation had merely been a rumour. He said he would work hard for THAI and expected its net profit to reach Bt6 billion this year.

However, oil prices are still a major risk, as well as natural disasters, he added.

The current month has offered up a good sign for the airline, its overall passenger-load factor having reached 79.2 per cent and the domestic load factor having risen by 30 per cent.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-26

You want to make money ? easy ....... Change your obsolete business class , improve the economy class , the service , the food , have newer planes and not those old craps aircraft nobody else want . Cut your fare price (ticket to Paris in July 54,000 baht return .... Qatar airways 36,000 baht return) sorry,but for saving 18,000 baht I dont mind to have a stop over ..... Thai airways is a big joke .. it has been a very good airline 15 years ago ...but refuse to see the competition as usual in Thailand ( see with the rice exporter). I stopped to fly TG long time ago except for some routes as I dont have other choices.

• Like 2

Thai Airways is nice, good service and all, but just not worth 20,000 baht more than other carriers! I mean for the extra 20,000 baht I could book a nice resort on the beach for a couple of days and eat sea food till it comes out of my ears!

'Hit by several factors that resulted in its huge losses' Smokescreen meaning Management either got their heads in their bankbooks or stuck up their own very important arse's. They are falling so far behind they will soon be Tail End Charlie.

He made such a commitment to THAI's shareholder meeting yesterday and said that if he were unable to achieve success, he would not attend next year's meeting and an ''acting'' chairman would take charge instead.

His way of saying he expects to stay in the job for only another year. I expect the hunt for a replacement chairman is already quietly underway.

Just flew from Melbourne with thai wife....could hardly hear the movies cos the plane was so noisy and the food was crap. We didn't bother finishing the morning meal..it tasted that bad. Service was good though the staff seem pretty disinterested compared to Cathay and Singapore.

You want to make money ? easy ....... Change your obsolete business class , improve the economy class , the service , the food , have newer planes and not those old craps aircraft nobody else want . Cut your fare price (ticket to Paris in July 54,000 baht return .... Qatar airways 36,000 baht return) sorry,but for saving 18,000 baht I dont mind to have a stop over ..... Thai airways is a big joke .. it has been a very good airline 15 years ago ...but refuse to see the competition as usual in Thailand ( see with the rice exporter). I stopped to fly TG long time ago except for some routes as I dont have other choices.

I fly back and forth to the states twice a year. I always check the Thai prices. They are always much higher than EVA. I have flown both, and do not consider the THAI food, service, or equipment to be any better. EVA's premium economy is very nice, for the money. THAI is overpriced, and the service is not all that. I feel Malaysia Air is way better, and EVA is comparable, but a far better value.

Thai air is crap. It's good to hear their having problems though, maybe they'll improve. I always figured they probably did OK because Thai people fly them as a preference. Obviously not enough.

Did you know though? Thai ONLY employ male pilots! It's their policy ... I mean, sure, cos u need a penis to fly a plane!

Much easier: Kick out the political influence and appoint a manager who knows what he does.

• Like 2

I have said all there is to say for the last 2 years I have answered and said my opinion on this airline, EVERYONE is saying the basic things that have to be changed. But Thais do not like to be advised by feedback---they lose face--rather than accepting facts.   They are near 80% full Ha Ha with their prices on that they are well in pocket,  or should be.   Ryan air would be laughing getting that % and all that money. Problem  money going where ????   old aircraft-Joke.....get 2 flights a week to Manchester-suggest.....kick out hangers on-cronies.......don't promise new planes and not get them......Government ploy to attract-crap thinking.   Sawadee Kha as the BBC ad says. Miracle year amazing Thailand, it will be a miracle if you lot stay in business.

I was a GOLD member four years ago and used up all my miles back then. Never flown with Thai again. Thier service is okay for me, but their pricing is way out of line. I imagine none of the feedback given here or any where else ever gets to the right people who could possibly do something to improve the airline. Too bad, as one poster said, 15 yrs ago, they were the best. Don't think they'll get any better anytime soon.

The hostesses in business class are all minimum 45 years old, many in their mid to late 50s. <deleted>!!!!! Meantime economy class gets the young lovely (hot0 new recruits. And the service of old business class hostesses is WORSE because they make it clear they feel servicing people is below them.

• Like 1

I just booked 2 weeks in advance on internet, Udon-Bkk- 1650 return Air Asia, about 2000 bht ONE way Thai, YES I know there are extra's and many add ons with Air Asia, BUT it's only 50 mins why the hell do I want food-and other bits, I'm not in the air long enough for that. Basic and Brilliant, mostly on time, young staff and NEW AIRCRAFT. sorry Thai A. your company is and has been going down hill for a long time, all your refurb and new planes----WHERE ???? A poster said loads of room on Thai, ???? how's that they have just said they are running average 80% capacity. I cannot see why at the Airport you have to pay 80,000 bht-to UK---other agents 60,000, on line 48,000, these prices do vary. Plain ridiculous to me, prices should be pretty near all round, internet are cutting admin down, so expect a little lower fares, I acknowledge that this applies to most airlines. But Thai ENTICE your customers back, do an AIR ASIA big sales promotions-most months, do some no frills with your national and international flights, give options for single no luggage customers.

Thai Airways

The only airline that gives you a paper cup to stack-up the individual TV screen on your seat in business class because they couldn't be bothered to tighten some screws during their regular maintenance.

:rolleyes:

And the service of old business class hostesses is WORSE because they make it clear they feel servicing people is below them.

Unless you are an old Thai fart who looks remotely important, then 4 of them are grovelling all over you for the rest of the flight. :rolleyes:

The hostesses in business class are all minimum 45 years old, many in their mid to late 50s. <deleted>!!!!! Meantime economy class gets the young lovely (hot0 new recruits. And the service of old business class hostesses is WORSE because they make it clear they feel servicing people is below them.

That is exactly what my Thai wife complained about returning from UK on Thai last year. She said the stewardesses were old and rude, that the service was very poor and that the food was mai aroi. She is coming with me to the UK next month on condition we fly EVA. Good news for me because Thai were 16k bht more expensive per passenger too.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I'm surprised Thai hasn't been bled dry yet because I don't know anyone who flies with them. They have been overpriced for at least 7 years now. Hemmoraging 10 billion is an enormous amount the government must be paying tons to subsidize them secretly. I flew with them just once and it was due to finding a very rare discounted route with them. The flight was almost entirely empty too.

I have a feeling government authorities will try and raise service and contract fees for foreign airlines at the airport in order to make Thai airways prices more attractive. If you can't beat 'em then increase fees and try to tax the competition out. Mark my words these protectionist schemes will probably lead to price increases across the board.

In the future it might be better to take a discount short haul flight to Singapore or Malaysia and fly long hauls from there. Suvarnabhumi's poor immigration protocol, questionable business practices, and non competitive airline pricing structure with their national airline might completely erode the airport's overall convenience and competitiveness.

Edited by wintermute

Did you know though? Thai ONLY employ male pilots! It's their policy ... I mean, sure, cos u need a penis to fly a plane!

Have you ever flown with a female pilot ?...always putting make up on in the rear view mirror....biggrin.png

There is most likely a very reasonable explanation for this policy....ie on layover's aircrew will be bunking up together in hotel rooms etc, and it just wouldnt be cricket to bunk up a female pilot with the stewardess......further would suspect there are very few Thai female commerical pilots about anyway

I have flown with a female Thai helicopter pilot a few times

I think he has as munch of a chance turning the company around as he does of flying one of it's planes backward.

A bit unfair to the guy. He has tried to turn things around at TG, against formidable political and army meddling, and to some degree he has succeeded.

Not perfect , but way better than the previous incompetent , corrupt buffoons who have run TG before him .