Transport Option For Catching An Early Morning Flight

triffid

I want to book on an Etihad flight to London next week and the cheapest fares are for departure at about 0615 or the next lowest at about 0815. I live in Chiangmai and the earliest flight arrives bkk at about 8 am which is obviously too late. So I have to stay in Bangkok the previous night. which will be cheaper than jumping to the Etihad fare for a later flight.

Since I'll have light luggage and would stay overnight near Asok I thought of taking BTS to Phaya Thai and the express train from there to the airport. But the first BTS train isn't early enough to catch the first Phaya Thai airport express. So I'm down to a taxi to the airport.

My questions are

1) Should I expect (weekday) traffic to be heavy from Sukh soi 10 to the airport at say 5 am to catch the 0815 flight?

2) If I consider getting in to Suvarnaphumi late on the previous evening - about 2230 - is there a halfway comfortable way to spend the intervening hours at the airport until a 0500 check in?

3) Does anyone have an alternative idea, or an unanticipated objection, to my thinking above?

4) Though I always look first at Etihad (fare, higher member luggage allowance - and the points) or Thai (timings, higher member allowance - and the points) I am prepared to consider another (decent) airline if it offers something much better. (I need to keep in mind the carges for changing the return date - I'd be in London for between 4 and 6 weeks).

Appreciate your thoughts on my rather complicated, if not involuted, 'problem'. (Sooner would be much better than later in view of the limited time I may have to secure a good fare.

I've had no problems finding a taxi to the airport when I catch the first flight out of DM or Swampy. There's always a taxi nearby and if not the hotel porters easily rustle up one in minutes.

Traffic is light at that time of the morning and my experience from lower Suk via tollway is aprox 30 minutes althought i usually allow 1 hour just to be on the safe side.

Edit - There are a number of small boutique hotels a short distance away from Swampy that offer free pick up and return that may be more suitable for your needs.

Edited by Farma

I've had no problems finding a taxi to the airport when I catch the first flight out of DM or Swampy. There's always a taxi nearby and if not the hotel porters easily rustle up one in minutes.

Traffic is light at that time of the morning and my experience from lower Suk via tollway is aprox 30 minutes althought i usually allow 1 hour just to be on the safe side.

Edit - There are a number of small boutique hotels a short distance away from Swampy that offer free pick up and return that may be more suitable for your needs.

Thanks. Any recommendarion of a specific name among those nearby hotels r a website? Otherwize I'll be googling for this.

I've stayed at the Mariya Boutique hotel before for convenience. It's clean, friendly, basic and suited my needs for a short stay to get my head down and freshen up. They have a mini van running a regular service to and from Swampy.

Emirates offer internet check in. You can check in, print off or recieve your mobile boarding pass up to 24 hours before you fly. This way you miss out on queuing and only need to show up at their bag drop counter 90 minutes before your flight.

Thanks. Any recommendarion of a specific name among those nearby hotels r a website? Otherwize I'll be googling for this.

google Thong Ta Bangkok.

I have stayed there a few times, and it is excellent value, with plenty to do nearby the evening before your flight.

Only downside is that you will probably need to leave the hotel before the kitchen opens for the "free" included breakfast.

google Thong Ta Bangkok.

I have stayed there a few times, and it is excellent value, with plenty to do nearby the evening before your flight.

Only downside is that you will probably need to leave the hotel before the kitchen opens for the "free" included breakfast.

Thanks a lot for the name and recommendation. Is there a massage place nearby? It'll be my last such for a month and besides it would be a good way to relax before turning in.

......................... Is there a massage place nearby? It'll be my last such for a month and besides it would be a good way to relax before turning in.

There are a number in close vicinity.

Directions to the one I went to (which I was very happy with) - walk from the hotel to the main road - turn right - walk to main intersection ( about 100 metres) - turn right - about 50 metres down, on the right.

Edited by jackspratt

1. publ transit that early; that means you have to figure in some 2 hrs for possible waiting etc-do you fancy that to save the odd 200?

(on the 555 busline there are SOME trips during night-aprrox ev 2 hrs-start more frequent from around 5.00=also too late for you+ this bus does not serve central BKK. If ''helpful'' people now come to tell you about minuses ex Vic.Mon or Onnut; NO MORE_they live in obsolete history.

2.there are at least some 10-12 mid-budget aimed at transit hotels at the lard|krabang-all do pickup/etc-prices from 6-1500-a full list on a site like bangkokbackpackers/ing or so. i notably remember Queens garden resort/hotel.

3. there is also a site like ''sleepinginairports''= google your best friend again.

in the BASEment=where the trains run, there is some moveable seating without armrests and after last train (@0.00 from Phyathai=arr airpt by 0.25) its all quiet. there is a family mkt there open 24 hrs.

4.FIRST ARL is at 6.00-arr airport 6.25 and dependable enough-or the express-cost 100 bt- some 5 mins earlier=enough to checkin for an 8.15 flight. have done that myself.