Best 3G, Coverage And Service.

I was reading through a few 3G threads here on TF, trying to glean some info., before buying a 3G sim for my iPad when I return next month. I couldn't see any mention of AIS 3G service. Only True, and DTAC.

How do these two 3g services compare against one another at the moment? Which of the two services do you prefer, and why?

I will be staying near Big Buddha, and I did see in one thread that there is coverage in Bangrak.

Also, I know there is an AIS shop at Tesco Lotus, and also a True kiosk, but I can't recall ever seeing a DTAC outlet. Where would I buy a DTAC MicroSim for iPad, if I wanted one?

Thanks in advance.

AIS does not have 3G on Samui at the moment, but their unlimited access works quite well in the wife's Samsung smart phone. 3G coming later this year. (and the check is in the post whistling.gif )

DTAC is in Big C - last shop (or next door) furthest end from the entrance. Dtac service has almost ground to a stop lately.

I've been using a TrueMove H micro-SIM in my iPhone since January (and a TrueMove H iSim before that), and it's been consistently reliable and fast since then. I am in Lamai, but can't recall having any service issues anywhere around the island.

Test against: Phnom Penh

Last Result:

Download Speed: 6555 kbps (819.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2496 kbps (312.0 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 178 ms

26 April, 2012 15:09:58

Edit: Can't recall any teeth-gnashingly frustrating service issues since then; can't claim 100% uptime with any carrier.

Edited by jamesbrock

I've been using a TrueMove H micro-SIM in my iPhone since January (and a TrueMove H iSim before that), and it's been consistently reliable and fast since then. I am in Lamai, but can't recall having any service issues anywhere around the island.

Test against: Phnom Penh

Last Result:

Download Speed: 6555 kbps (819.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 2496 kbps (312.0 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 178 ms

26 April, 2012 15:09:58

Edit: Can't recall any teeth-gnashingly frustrating service issues since then; can't claim 100% uptime with any carrier.

I'll +1 the above comment, I do get around the island a bit and service works good in most areas, Voice/Email/Social all work just as good as i've used in apparently more advanced mobile tech countries. The only place I have trouble is Taling Ngam and spots in Lipa Noi, 3G service drops out in and out.

Thanks guys.

Looks like TrueMove simmis the way to go.

I got a Dtac SIM in my I-Phone and True in My I- Pad. I-phone non existent 3G, I-pad good. Bangrak, Bohput both same for both. Swapped the SIM's thinking it was the hardware, guess what? the I-phone was better with Truemove

Bought the True Sim from the booth in Tesco.

So how do you pay for truemove sim every month,i had one before and it was very expensive and they only sold it by the usage and not by the hour,and it was finished in 2 days!so i have been using ais sim card for 400b for 100 hours,but its a bit slow sometimes are they doing a pay as you go one now,by the hours?thanks.

I top up my pre-paid balance only when I need to top up my data quota, and do so at a 7-Eleven or a Family Mart.

The prices are here: http://www.truemove-h.com/en//prepay/prepay-topping.aspx

One month after applying one of the packages using your purchased pre-paid balance, they will attempt to re-apply it. If you have enough remaining balance, the package will be re-applied; if you don't, the package will be cancelled, and any data you use will come off your remaining balance until that is depleted (which doesn't take long!).

I usually go for the 349B package, and only once have I used the whole 1GB within the month - that was when I was travelling and using the data on my laptop via the Personal Hotspot. I doubt that would be enough if you were to use it this way all the time.

• 2 months later...

In the last year, 3 g service has improved a lot, it's not just Chawng any more!!!!....

I am using DTAC (at the moment, with internet package on my phone) in the jungle of Maenam, does not seem to be a problem ... a year ago there was no signal at all.

Around Maenam and perhaps else where True have been busy putting up "Wifi boxes" on the electric poles.... .. i assume it's to provide better 3g service?

No, the wifi boxes are a separate service. There is a package you can buy for 650bt per month which includes unlimited wifi as well as 3gig of 3g data. And the true wifi connects at 130Mbps, faster than normal wi-fi connections.

Anyone who is still insisting on 1-2-call or DTAC for 3g is wasting their time.

It's still a trial and error process to see which system works best in different parts of the island..... so to say one system is the best in all areas still needs some testing or going around the island to see.... but it has vastly improved in the last 12 months, time will tell, which system wins for best overall coverage ....