Getting Off The Firefox 'Release Update Channel'

bendejo

Under help there is "check for updates."

If I click this a new version will commence to download (if there is a newer version than the one I have installed). No way to stop the 'update.' I would prefer to be informed if an update is available, then have the option of installing or not.

I went sniffing around the web, most stuff on the subject is out of date. Most threads seem to conclude with the advice to remove the program, then re-install it. Is that really necessary?

I did about:config and found

app.update.channel

I sent the value to 'none' but in the Help window it still says I'm on the RUC.

Get me off this thing! Even Microsoft allows the user more freedom to decline updates.

post-12743-0-26185200-1336007131_thumb.j

Tools - Options - Advanced - Update - and Select Never Check for Updates

Also un-check "Use a Background service to install updates" if you are running FF 12

Edited by MJCM

Hey, thanks.

I involuntarily updated to FF12 yesterday. I looked where you said, and "check for updates but let me choose..." was already checked. I did uncheck the background box -- I guess you had to install the new version to disable it blink.png

Let's see what happens at the next release.

1 Thing,

are you running Win7 or Vista ?

If so and you are using a "normal user" account instead of a Admin Account, you also have to disable this Update behavior for the other accounts. (Especially the "Use a Background service ..."

You could also set in Services the "Mozilla Maintenance Service" status to disabled.

As I understand it, Firefox 12 now has automatic updating, according to their release notes.

http://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2012/04/24/firefox-introduces-a-simpler-update-process-and-more-than-85-improvements-to-developer-tools/

Like Google Chrome, future releases of Firefox will automatically download and install themselves, and the user has no control over this.

The arrogance of success. When Firefox was just an upstart with less than 5% of the browser market, they were responsive to user imput and inclusion. Now, they are big boys going to IBM U.; impose, not inquire.

It galls me when an application installs stuff like services, daemons etc without notification. I stopped using Adobe products long ago because of this -- they put all this crap all over your system as if their stuff was the only thing you'd use. Realplayer was the same way, made it on to my s_itlist.

Thanks for the warning, disabled the Moz service. Might be time to give Opera a second chance.

I will note that their update page says this automatic update is only for Windows users. In Mac, it still politely asks for permission. The only software I have problems with in this regard is Microsoft Office for Mac which, regrettably, I was forced to install by my employer. Non-MS stuff on Macs is generally well-behaved though, as mentioned above, Adobe Reader is pretty intrusive.

Edited by USNret

I am on FF 12 beta update. Select Options/Advanced/Update and mine is still set at 'Check for updates, but let me chose when to install them.' Always tells me when an update is available and asks if I want to do it. Always has been this option AFAIK.

After a bit of snooping around I found the maintenance program has a folder under Windows in Program Files. You can run the uninstaller program from there.

While I know Moz and Google are two separate entities something in my synapse persists in thinking they are the same, sort of like MS and Yahoo. Sort of the corporate version of common-law marriage. smile.png

After a bit of snooping around I found the maintenance program has a folder under Windows in Program Files. You can run the uninstaller program from there.

While I know Moz and Google are two separate entities something in my synapse persists in thinking they are the same, sort of like MS and Yahoo. Sort of the corporate version of common-law marriage. smile.png

FF has always been uninstallable from Windows/Programs options... although it is a 'dirty' uninstaller in that it leaves loads of FF information in the registry which needs some more invasive surgery if trying to eliminate FF completely. What 'maintenance program' are you talking about. There isn't any need for fosicking around in the Program Files directory for FF uninstallers. What has google got to do with FF? Are you sure you are talking about your PC or are you confusing it with the microwave oven?

most users have no idea what an update is, enforcing this auto update is a very good thing for features and security.

if they release updates it's for us to install them....

The "Mozilla Maintenance Service" obeys the settings under Tools - Options - Advanced - Update, if you selected "Never Check for Updates" that service will not be started to upgrade Firefox.

It is also there to help people with UAC.

And this service came with Firefox 12

UAC:

http://en.wikipedia....Account_Control

http://technet.micro...spx#BKMK_WhatIs

Mozilla Maintenance Service

https://wiki.mozilla...e_Silent_Update

http://support.mozil...tenance-service

Edited by MJCM