Best Hangover Cure

phuturatica

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barrs Irn Bru!!........guaranteed to work. I don't know where your going to get it in Thailand though so I agree with the previous post for Pocari Sweat.

What a stupid name for a drink though. blink.png

and Irn Bru is not a stupid name ?...whistling.gif

No because it is "brewed from girders" smile.png

If thats the case then they cant spell north of Hadrians wall then... "Irn"...is spelt "Iron" and "Bru" is spelt "Brew".....If our hairy arsed, dress wearing, haggis eating bretheren north of the wall wish to use the queens English...gentlemen please use it properly or i am going to set a the TELF'ers English Nazi's on to you...

(and before someone points out any spelling or grammatical mistakes I may have made, I dont profess to be an English teacher, dont give a toss and get over it) thumbsup.gif

Well if you could just spell TEFL correctly that would be a start.

Incidentally the drink was initially named Iron Brew but the authorities took issue as it didn't contain Iron, so the very cunning Mr Barr shortened the name to Irn, then thought why not do the same to the Bru bit, and Irn Bru was born!!

Just so you know. wai.gif

ps. The Queen is Scottish.

pps. Men wearing kilts have a certain effect upon ladies, ( and Ladyboys unfortunately ) so doing be getting jealous. tongue.png

Barrs Irn Bru!!........guaranteed to work. I don't know where your going to get it in Thailand though so I agree with the previous post for Pocari Sweat.

What a stupid name for a drink though. blink.png

If thats the case then they cant spell north of Hadrians wall then... "Irn"...is spelt "Iron" and "Bru" is spelt "Brew".....If our hairy arsed, dress wearing, haggis eating bretheren north of the wall wish to use the queens English...gentlemen please use it properly or i am going to set a the TELF'ers English Nazi's on to you...

(and before someone points out any spelling or grammatical mistakes I may have made, I dont profess to be an English teacher, dont give a toss and get over it) thumbsup.gif

Hae you bin oan the pish 'r wut?

The OP acknowledges the medicinal powers of Irn Bru... but disnae hae ony. So, of all the remedies offered so far, I agree that Coke will get the badgers ersh oot o' yer mooth and the sugars will give your blood sugar a boost. However, since the OP's kidney functionality is questionable, it may not have the same effect. I will admit that about 3 years ago my hangovers were not fun any more. I would wake reasonably seedy, have a brief hour of psuedo-recovery before spiralling into a puking, sweating sair heid by late afternoon. It was like a time-delayed hangover. However, on the odd nights of late when I have tied one on, the trick has been to break up the drinking with eating or make every second drink non-alcoholic. I manage to keep slamming them down till daylight and then hit the sack with plenty of water by the bed.

The most memorable hangover blaster I recall was in Talara, Peru where we had fresh ceviche with icy cold Crystal beer in yai bottles. Awesome! By 10 am we were refreshed and ready for work but went back to the bar instead.

• Like 1

Incidentally the drink was initially named Iron Brew but the authorities took issue as it didn't contain Iron, so the very cunning Mr Barr shortened the name to Irn, then thought why not do the same to the Bru bit, and Irn Bru was born!!

pps. Men wearing kilts have a certain effect upon ladies, ( and Ladyboys unfortunately ) so doing be getting jealous. tongue.png

Therefore "Rod2011" is telling porkies then..tongue.png

I had an occasion to wear a scottish dress, suitable festooned with the wee badger handbag and all, and could never quite figure out why someone would wear such a device which provides absolutely no protection to ones nether regions when strong cold winds are blowing off the north sea...whistling.gif

I thought the queen was a kraut...w00t.gif

• Like 1

Hae you bin oan the pish 'r wut?

I suppose some people are not as well educated as you or I.

"Iron Brew" is a generic term for caffeinated sugary soft drinks coloured with ammonium ferrocyanate ferric citrate (EDIT: I trust wikipedia better than my memory). Irn Bru is the Barrs brand name for one such - by far the best-selling brand, as well, by the way, boys.(EDIT: Furthermore, wikipedia alleges that it gots its name from its original purpose - as a substitute for beer for Falkirk foundry workers)

SC

EDIT

And, furthermore actually, Cold Storage had run out when I was there on Saturday, to which I ascribe Edinburgh's unfortunate defeat by Ulster in the Heineken Cup.

EDIT

And furthermore, I'd doubt the efficacy of a can of Irn Bru without the greasy samosa and the walk down to the station in the morning.

Edited by StreetCowboy

I had an occasion to wear a scottish dress, suitable festooned with the wee badger handbag and all, and could never quite figure out why someone would wear such a device which provides absolutely no protection to ones nether regions when strong cold winds are blowing off the north sea...whistling.gif

Eh no.......she's Scottish dry.png Just like her Mum.

Advantages of wearing a kilt.............you can't get yourself caught in a zip. Full stop. That will do me. Just saying.

I've been caught in a zip before and I don't want to do it again. No thank you. No. Just saying. crying.gif

ps the wee badger thing is for storing your condoms.

wikipedia alleges that it gots its name from its original purpose - as a substitute for beer for Falkirk foundry workers)

why would you need a substitute for beer ?....where the Falkirk foundry workers such big jessies they couldnt drink real beer or something ?

If you want to prevent a hangover, do this on the way home from a night out.

1 - 800mg Ibuprofen

2 - 500mg Acetaminophen

3 - 1 large greasy hamburger

4 - liter of water

If you ignored the above advice and now find yourself in the throws of agony, wishing to die, then the only remedy I know is an extra spicy, extra strong Bloody Mary. 1 or 2 should do the trick.

For me Berroca is the best. I think is Australian and its an orange flavoured effervescent tablet of magnesium and other gumpf. You can buy it here in the pharmymarcies.

Advantages of wearing a kilt.............you can't get yourself caught in a zip. Full stop. That will do me. Just saying.

I've been caught in a zip before and I don't want to do it again. No thank you. No. Just saying. crying.gif

OK, so lets summarise this

We have gentlemen north of Hadians wall, who walk around in dresses with no under pants on and keep condoms in a badger handbag on their person ...correct ?

Always wondered what you lot got up to on those long winter nights in the highlands, is this were the national sport of tossing the caber came from...whistling.gif

For me Berroca is the best. I think is Australian and its an orange flavoured effervescent tablet of magnesium and other gumpf. You can buy it here in the pharmymarcies.

believe it's Swiss...think it was Roche who first come up with it

believe it's Swiss...think it was Roche who first come up with it

Pretty sure Bayer make Berocca which is a German company but think Australia is their main market, very popular there.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

wikipedia alleges that it gots its name from its original purpose - as a substitute for beer for Falkirk foundry workers)

why would you need a substitute for beer ?....where the Falkirk foundry workers such big jessies they couldnt drink real beer or something ?

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn-Bru

"The drink originated in Falkirk where it was particularly popular among the town's thirsty foundry workers. The name Irn-Bru is said to have originated during the re-building of Glasgow Central Station in 1901. When workers from the William Beardmore and Company Steel Works in Glasgow were dying from the large amounts of beer drunk to quench their thirst from the heat of the steel works, an alternative was sought. A local soft drinks manufacturer, A.G. Barr, approached the steel works and a contract was created to provide the workers with this drink. This unnamed drink later went on to be known as Iron Brew because of its connections to the steel (and iron) works"

Given that they were probably drinking something akin to Tartan Special, I can understand how a man could easily drink enough to poison himself to a sorry end in the fiery heat of a foundry furnace. Though I recall being told once (probably by my brother, in his efforts to plumb the depths of human stupidity) that it was only in 1914 that they started adding chemicals to beer to give you a hangover, and by thus discouraging excess, improving the quality of munitions production.

SC

Paracetamol + coffee + pizza never fails for me (plus loads of fluids, milk is great).

[cow's] Milk is not good for your bodily systems in the best of times, less to stave off a hangover.

milk is one of the only things that will calm my stomach after a lot of whisky induced vomiting

Yep same for me, but beer instead of whiskey.

Bloody Mary. Plenty of pepper and a good shake of Worcester sauce extra tabasco. The Crossbar do an excellent version on Soi 23.

Repeat until feeling human. Until 4 of them. If that don't work then send Sheryl a PM. tongue.png

(probably by my brother, in his efforts to plumb the depths of human stupidity)

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I've got a few cousins like that. I had one tell me that cats always landed on their feet because all cats had mercury in their paws. blink.png

OK, so lets summarise this

We have gentlemen north of Hadians wall, who walk around in dresses with no under pants on and keep condoms in a badger handbag on their person ...correct ?

Always wondered what you lot got up to on those long winter nights in the highlands, is this were the national sport of tossing the caber came from...whistling.gif

Yes. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I have read all of the previous suggestions with interest. Ultimately if it works for you - then that is the main thing.

However ,I will share wih you something that I learnt in my youth after a humdinger of a night on ouzo and raki n Corfu.....

The following morning drink a small glass of the Italian liqueur made from various herbs and alcohol called Fernet Branca. In fact don't drink it.... throw it back in one gulp. After the nuclear explosion has ceased.... give it 5 minues and you will start to feel human again and within 30 mnutes... ready for off to the races.

The German drink Underberg is a close second.

I acknowledge that neither is easly obtained in Thailad. but Ladies and Gentlemen well worth looking for I assure you

I think the op have survived the day.

I think we should celebrate that, the OP is a star 402.gif

Haha! I did indeed survive the day in the end! Lots of water, coconut water, electrolytes and sleep did the trick. Then after waking up I went all out, had som tam with 5 chillis and sweated that baby mother of a hangover out! Then I went out with some colleagues and drank soft drinks. ;)

Cheers for all the tips and advice guys! Some of them were interesting. Not sure why anyone would want to eat a McDonalds though. Ugh *shudders*

I'm also aware that anti-inflammatories are good for hangovers, however I cannot take them due to my kidney problem, and whilst I understand that it sounds ironic that I would go out and drink with a kidney problem (I only do it once in a blue moon anyway) I wouldn't wanna take the piss on my kidney and feed it anti-inflammatories which are bad for my kidney as well!

I have read all of the previous suggestions with interest. Ultimately if it works for you - then that is the main thing.

However ,I will share wih you something that I learnt in my youth after a humdinger of a night on ouzo and raki n Corfu.....

The following morning drink a small glass of the Italian liqueur made from various herbs and alcohol called Fernet Branca. In fact don't drink it.... throw it back in one gulp. After the nuclear explosion has ceased.... give it 5 minues and you will start to feel human again and within 30 mnutes... ready for off to the races.

The German drink Underberg is a close second.

I acknowledge that neither is easly obtained in Thailad. but Ladies and Gentlemen well worth looking for I assure you

Totally agree with you on Underberg.

220px-Underberg_4442963885_e200c994e2_t.jpg

I have just discovered I can buy this in Australia $6 for a wee bottle, but could come in handy at celebration time.

Some greasy food will give you small temporary relief. Otherwise you're screwed, basically. Next time drink truckloads of water before you go to sleep. Only thing that works.

Seconded - 2 pints of water before bed - only thing that woks for me.