Hua Hin, 5 Other Districts In Prachuap Declared Drought Disaster Zones

george

Reservoirs in Prachuap Khiri Khan at 30% Capacity

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: -- Due the severe drought currently experienced in Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, the reservoirs in the province are now at only 30 percent of their capacity.

An irrigation official in Prachuap Khiri Khan Province has reported that six districts in the province, namely Muang, Pranburi, Hua Hin, Sam Roi Yot, Kuiburi and Bang Saphan Noi have been declared drought disaster zones for the third consecutive year.

All of the six reservoirs in the province are at the average of about 30 percent of their capacity.

The situation is critical at Pranburi Dam where there are about 86 million cubic meter of water left in the reservoir or only about 24 percent of its full capacity.

Normally, the reservoir holds about 347 million cubic meter water.

The water supply is therefore enough for household usage but not enough for farming.

The local population and farmers in the province are strongly advised to use water efficiently to conserve the current low supply.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-05-08

footer_n.gif

Find out more about Hua Hin:

http://huahin.thaivisa.com

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most idiotic Country's on the Earth, Thailand is blessed with abundance of fertile soil and water but sadly the donkeys in Charge have no idea.

Next the farmers will be charging 3 times the price for fruit and veg because of water shortage...Limes are already going for 9 baht each that should be 1 baht..Laughable

Massive amounts of water are disgustingly wasted right at the hight of the Dry season ...The Country deserves all that it gets

Planning is obviously not in the Thai Dictionary

Maybe you could let Yingluck know about the shocking rise in the price of limes, although they do seem a little preoccupied with eggs at this time. thumbsup.gif

One of the most idiotic Country's on the Earth, Thailand is blessed with abundance of fertile soil and water but sadly the donkeys in Charge have no idea.

Next the farmers will be charging 3 times the price for fruit and veg because of water shortage...Limes are already going for 9 baht each that should be 1 baht..Laughable

Massive amounts of water are disgustingly wasted right at the hight of the Dry season ...The Country deserves all that it gets

I keep reading all these negative comments and wondering why these people have chosen to come to Thailand.

I can't recall to seen an advertisement of how perfect this country is before deciding to settle in Thailand 18 years ago (at least it wasn't provided from my travel agent during that time).

My advise to you guys is, pack your stuff and go right back where you came from or simply accept the differences in culture.

I can only agree with you

• Like 1

Here in Thailand, they have no guttering around the houses, it just runs off into the ground and then a few months down the track they complain about having a water shortage !

All houses in Australia have adequate gutters and in Queensland my house saved all the roof run off into 5000 gal underground water tanks. Despite the fact that i did not have town water, i was never without drinking water.

Mai pen lai because there is plenty of water raining down, is utter stupidity.

• Like 1

i'm sure this isn't going to stop them building more developments, more golf courses and a water park by black mountain. my advice, move to phuket, we have lots of water, a great climate, beautiful sea views and hot girls, and the average expat age is less than 70

If you Google-map Pranburi Dam it looks a large stretch of water..I rode all the way around it 1 year ago..~70kms following Google's map/tracks.

In actual fact I coulda taken a shortcut across the now fertile grassland and gone around the water in less than 20kms...less than one third of the water was there then..and superb grazing-land for cows as far as the eye can see where according to Google's map the dam should cover.

And still in HuaHin the new condo developments are going up non-stop to meet the new demand from BKK people who 'discovered' HH when their homes in BKK were flooded, so now want weekend retreats..HH is gonna have to do something major to cope with the growing demand for water.

As for the price of limes etc..Terryp was right,- Whenever the farmers decide to raise the cost of their produce by 100/200%, these price hikes never seem to be contested..Thai people accept it every time..look at the massive hike in Palm oil for cooking..even the government allowed it to happen..T.I.T.eh?

I keep reading all these negative comments and wondering why these people have chosen to come to Thailand.

I can't recall to seen an advertisement of how perfect this country is before deciding to settle in Thailand 18 years ago (at least it wasn't provided from my travel agent during that time).

My advise to you guys is, pack your stuff and go right back where you came from or simply accept the differences in culture.

Well I for one am not going to say go back where you come from but you might want to see a psychiatrist as to why you choose to live in such miserable conditions.

I notice that he says the country gets all that it deserves. It got him guess he dosen't think munch of himself.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Why don't they learn from other countries, you are the negative one old sport ! Its nothing to do with culture, saving water.

I totally agree with you that Thailand should learn from other countries, specially nearby countries like Singapore and Malaysia.

Both countries have done a lot for what they are today.

I didn't really thought of being negative when I started to read. I was more thinking about the farmers and in what way the water shortage will affect the people in Hua Hin.

Then I continued reading and all I saw was people complaining and how much they dislike being in Thailand.

That finally triggered my anger over these people.

My anger is not on this specific post but on general comments that are very offensive to the people of Thailand.

If you Google-map Pranburi Dam it looks a large stretch of water..I rode all the way around it 1 year ago..~70kms following Google's map/tracks.

In actual fact I coulda taken a shortcut across the now fertile grassland and gone around the water in less than 20kms...less than one third of the water was there then..and superb grazing-land for cows as far as the eye can see where according to Google's map the dam should cover.

And still in HuaHin the new condo developments are going up non-stop to meet the new demand from BKK people who 'discovered' HH when their homes in BKK were flooded, so now want weekend retreats..HH is gonna have to do something major to cope with the growing demand for water.

As for the price of limes etc..Terryp was right,- Whenever the farmers decide to raise the cost of their produce by 100/200%, these price hikes never seem to be contested..Thai people accept it every time..look at the massive hike in Palm oil for cooking..even the government allowed it to happen..T.I.T.eh?

And from what you describe, it is similar reading I have been able to find.

Some of the built dams do not work as intended. They are there to collect massive amounts of water during rainy season, but fail to do so.

It could be down to geographical location or diversion of water upstream and other issues, maybe a too early release of water - simply overcompensating for last years flood etc etc.

In any case, I believe it would be prudent for the minister in charge, to have a closer look at all the dams in Thailand and come up with plans to improve the system.

Especially in drought prone areas.

In other news, will it ever stop raining in Phuket ??

Been very wet last 2-3 weeks...

Well said Ayayay.

People who have no choice than staying in Thailand are probably unsuccessfull everywhere else or trapped here, they would complain even in the Eden, there is anger in their heart.

While many other just like to climb on a teacher table and say what is right to do and don't. Sometimes they are the same persons as the above one.

Anyway, those claiming Thai culture for a drought disaster really don't lose a chance to open their mouth and say nonsense.

I have visited Prachuap and Kui Buri a few weeks ago, the soil was very dry everywhere, sometimes looks like a desert with cactus (haven't seen cactus before in Thailand, maybe just by chance). Still, lot of fruits and watermelons for sale, it didn't look like farmers were having problems yet. Of course now the level of reservoir is going down, maybe they can stand one more month, hopefully the rain should arrive.

For sure the water reservoirs could be manage better by properly built drainage system, just think about the past flood in Bangok, local administration has its big part of responsibilities.

But weather is also changing everywhere, here in the south we had a very short high season for the third year, it rained a lot till the end of December, than again since mid of April.

Shall we start blaming God for messing up the seasons?

We'd better start blaming humanity for messing up the environment!

• Like 1

These people are usually the ones who were not really successful in their own home countries, they usually have a bruised ego, and choose to come to Thailand, where they could get a feel of importance, feeding the bruised ego.

A lot of these people feel lonely, and have difficulties interact with other people, they are usually social misfits, and the only way these people can easily bond with eachother, is by bashing thailand, thai people and the thai culture.

Believe it or not, many foreigners have made it their main hobby, to come here on thaivisa, to bash thai culture, in order to numb the sense of failure they experienced in their home country, and feed their bruised ego. At least some thais look up to them (or at least so they think)

To bad that Thai visa don't have a LIKE bottom like Facebook, otherwise I would have press it a thousand times ;-)

• Like 1

Me too. Some people travel to Thailand with their home countries tied around their middles, which probably accounts for the pot-bellied look and chavvy tattoos so in vogue. They must be incredibly boring company since they can only talk about their origins (the implicit point of comparison for everything they say), whatever inconveniences them in their waddle from lodgings to nearest bar, and the general imbecility of their hosts.

Me too. Some people travel to Thailand with their home countries tied around their middles, which probably accounts for the pot-bellied look and chavvy tattoos so in vogue. They must be incredibly boring company since they can only talk about their origins (the implicit point of comparison for everything they say), whatever inconveniences them in their waddle from lodgings to nearest bar, and the general imbecility of their hosts.

I too agree. Many expats can't get it through there heads that everything here is not the same as back home. They feel superior living here just because they have a few bob and think they have the right to criticise everything that is not quite as good as back home. How stupid is that! Thailand is not as developed as many countries but we all have problems. The UK has imposed hose pipe bans and is also suffering from drought despite having plentiful annual rainfall. Australia is suffering from bush fires some of which are started by the authorities and then get out of control. Much of Europe has suffered from severe flooding just as they did here last year.

As to that stupid writer saying thais don't save rainfall he should get out in the countryside and see that just about every house has big vats just for that purpose. He has probably never been outside Bangkok so has no idea what he is talking about.