Cheap Rabies Shots In Pattaya/Jomtien?

Endorphin

I walked along a soi today when a dog jumped out, bit my calf and ran away. It's 670Bt for one rabies shot in Pattaya International Hospital and I need four more. Any help finding cheaper option is appreciated! Anyone thinks it's a good idea to skip the shots altogether?

• Like 1

There is a government programme on going to eliminate rabies and their intention is to inject all dogs. This follows confirmed incidents of rabies in Sisaket..A long way away..OK a loooong way away...and maybe the soi dog was already injected...but how desperate are you to save a few quid...??

Any clinic should be able to give you a rabies shot; ask around.

The usual suspects for cheap(er) medical treatment should be worth asking also (Queen Sirikit, Sri Racha etc).

In a more practical response to my previous one...try Lam Chabang immigration...Go to the port..turn left off the main road..when you hit the first roundabout turn right...they are on the left..

Well they were there when I needed yellow fever jabs...

re .. Anyone thinks it's a good idea to skip the shots altogether?

no ... if the dog has rabies and you dont have the shots

you are going to die a horrible death .. there is no cure for rabies

unless someone knows better ?

dave2

post-42592-0-84890500-1336922420_thumb.j

• Like 2

If there are no reported cases in the area the chances of rabies are slight to impossible.

This is not a risk I would be prepared to take, especially in a country where very little probably gets reported.

If bitten I would look around briefly for a cheaper option and failing that I would just pay the 650B or whatever and be thankful to still be alive.

• Like 2

The usual suspects for cheap(er) medical treatment should be worth asking also (Queen Sirikit, Sri Racha etc).

In a more practical response to my previous one...try Lam Chabang immigration...Go to the port..turn left off the main road..when you hit the first roundabout turn right...they are on the left..

I thought that this was good advice but seems to be ignored...Are you getting afraid of water already??...Or too tight to pay a taxi fare...

Edited by plopmeister

Any of the government hospitals will give you the shots, try Banglamung or Memorial Hospital. cost 240baht per shot last time I had them at a government hospital, The first time you will also get anti tetanus.

• Like 1

I thought that this was good advice but seems to be ignored...Are you getting afraid of water already??...Or too tight to pay a taxi fare...

Thanks for the advice but on map it looks miles away from my place. I bet their shots are not free.

Dont quite see the point of going all that way in a taxi in order to save a couple of hundred Baht.

And why would an Immigration Office be doing rabies shots anyway?

You should hang with a classier bunch of dogs. Get the shots no matter the expense!

Dont quite see the point of going all that way in a taxi in order to save a couple of hundred Baht.

And why would an Immigration Office be doing rabies shots anyway?

Have you seen some of the foreigners?

Have to laugh at the thread title "cheap" rabies shots in Pattaya, would you look for "cheap" heart bypass operation if you needed it - both are potentially life ending scenarios ??

Anyways, i read somewhere recently that Thailand is rabies free and is being considered to be on the list of countries to be included in the pet passport scheme, wish i could find that article now!!

• Like 1

Any of the government hospitals will give you the shots, try Banglamung or Memorial Hospital. cost 240baht per shot last time I had them at a government hospital, The first time you will also get anti tetanus.

Pattaya Memorial Hospital in not a government hospital and has recently become the hospital of choice for our new eastern European visitors and their pricing structure reflects this new monopoly

If there are no reported cases in the area the chances of rabies are slight to impossible.

How would anyone know if there are?

Rabies if found in any animal in any locality would be heavily reported and treated ,each and every animal would be rounded up,and vaccinated, If vaccinated before the onset of the disease,chances are you can escape it,but there cheap serums that are not up to the mark for sure. Anyway the OP has answered his own question as to the dog having rabies,it cleared off after biting him,a dog with rabies would keep on trying to bite,in other words off its head,this dog cleared off,clearly lucid,not wanting a kick up the backside
  • Thanks 1

Rubbish.

How would anyone know if there are?

Rabies if found in any animal in any locality would be heavily reported and treated ,each and every animal would be rounded up,and vaccinated,

You think they do this in Thailand or you know they do it in some other countries, which?

Rubbish.

How do you know? you experienced in rabies spread?ever experienced rabies?,ever seen rabies? One thing for sure you have rabies, go get your shots PDQ

Rubbish.

How do you know? you experienced in rabies spread?ever experienced rabies?,ever seen rabies? One thing for sure you have rabies, go get your shots PDQ

I think the advice you have given is extremely dangerous to a person who has just been bitten, almost any medical doctor in the West would I imagine advise rabies shots for a person who was bitten by an unknown animal, in Thailand that must be almost mandatory.

As for your advice regarding the rounding up and vacination of animals here in Thailand: again, that perhaps would happen in the West but almost certainly it would never happen here, in Thailand they would, if anything, begin a mass cull!

Any Govt. vet working in any given area or locality in Thailand would be aware of any instance of rabies in his/her area. It is a reportable and monitored disease. Yes you are living in a third world country ,not to be confused with western society so you take your chances, if there is no instance of the disease in any locality the chances it does not exist,different basis if it is considered widespread and is part and parcel of life as exists in other countries.

However there is just a chance that as another poster suggested of a dog with rabies in some far flung place in Thailand took to the idea that it was in for the BIG E ,took a plane ride out of the area ,parachuted into Pattaya and trying for its escape here.

Any Govt. vet working in any given area or locality in Thailand would be aware of any instance of rabies in his/her area. It is a reportable and monitored disease. Yes you are living in a third world country ,not to be confused with western society so you take your chances, if there is no instance of the disease in any locality the chances it does not exist,different basis if it is considered widespread and is part and parcel of life as exists in other countries.

However there is just a chance that as another poster suggested of a dog with rabies in some far flung place in Thailand took to the idea that it was in for the BIG E ,took a plane ride out of the area ,parachuted into Pattaya and trying for its escape here.

You are spouting absolute nonsense.

Yes, if a person came down with rabies the doctor would have to report it, but that almost never happens because every Thai and more importantly every doctor in Thailand knows that rabies is endemic to Thailand and gives the necessary post exposure vaccinations. And since there has never been any reported cases of anyone coming down with rabies after having had the recommended vaccinations, reported cases of rabies in humans are indeed very rare.

Even the smallest clinic in Thailand have the rabies vaccine, whch should tell you something about whether there are rabies in Thailand or not. I was bitten myself by a dog that was very likely infected with rabies (sudden change of personality from being friendly and shy, to running around and agressively bting both other dogs and people), and got the first injections here for the very modest fee of 100 baht at the local health centre where they had the vaccine at the ready. The subsequent follow up jabs I had to have back home, were the serum had to be special ordered at the Serum Institute, because by home country is rabies free.

The above doesn't mean that a large percentage of the dogs in Thailand will contract rabies, it's actually quite a rare disease. But because the consequences are so severe, any bite from dogs/cats should be taken seriously, and unless you know that the animal has had it's rabies vaccinations you should go get the vaccine.

Sophon

• Like 2

Agreed, its very poor advise that any google search will yield as being totally inaccurate.

There is a tremendous un-vaccinated stray dog population and rabies is pretty much everywhere. I seriously doubt Pattaya does not have rabies and no doctor in Thailand would recommend to not have the shots if bitten by a dog. I was actually bitten by my own dog who was vaccinated and the nurse suggested I get the first shots at least, as she pointed out, no vaccination is 100% effective and frankly, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yes, I have seen rabid dogs and yes there have been deaths of people who have not gotten the shots in Thailand but again, I don't know of any doctor who isn't aware of the existence of rabies in this country and I sincerely doubt any of them would ever recommend to not get the shots.

Chiang Mai, I would suggest that before posting medically dangerous information, you research first.

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9593486

The prevalence of canine and human rabies in Thailand has decreased significantly during the last decade. This has been associated with an increasing number of human post-exposure treatments. Educational efforts, mass vaccination of dogs and cats and the use of safe and effective vaccines have all made an impact. The proportion of fluorescent antibody positive dogs, among those examined for rabies averaged 54% indicating that rabies is still a major public health threat. Canine rabies vaccination is not usually performed in animals < 3 months old. However, this study revealed that 14% of rabid dogs were < 3 months old and 42% were < or = 6 months old. This is the age group most likely to interact with humans and other dogs. Our study also supports the World Health Organization's recommendation that observing suspected rabid dogs for 10 days is an adequate and safe practice.

I feel that for the small cost involved and the very real possibility of rabies existing here it would be wrong to ignore the risk and not to get shots.

I was badly bitten by a beautiful Siamese but feral cat just outside my gates, I had the shots at the small government hospital not far from us but the scary thing is that one week later that cat was lying dead outside our wall.

Get the shots whatever they might cost, its foolhardy not to!!