Krungsi Atm: No Cash, But Deducted From Account

Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience:

- 9 April:

I went to Krungsi ATM to with draw 30k at around 9:00 pm. The machine made some strange noises, stopped, gave an error message and gave me back my card, but no money or receipt.

Checking my finances back home, I was in shock to see that the amount was deducted from my account.I contacted the Krungsi bank right away the same evening. The woman told me

she could do nothing for me, since she did not have my banking details (I do not have an account with Krungsi bank) and put me through to the BKK Bank. After speaking to them, they advised me

to call back the 23rd of April. Normally it would take a week to refund, but would take longer because of Songkran.

- 23 April:

Called the BKK bank, she told me to call back 27th of April. Could not give me any information on this case.

- 27 April:

Called BKK bank again and was assured the funds should be back in the account by 30th of April. Much to my surprise: nothing. The Krungsi bank claims the funds were dispensed to

me when in fact they were not.

- 30 April:

Called the bank again on 30 April and was informed to contact the bank's supervisor. He informed me that I needed to fill out a "Investigation request for ATM/CDM transaction".

(Why was this not mentioned prior to all the senseless phone calls?)I filled out this form the same day and was told this investigation could take up to 2 weeks to complete. I am not happy at all.

- 15 May:

Called back the BKK bank supervisor who refers me to the marketing officer. "I investigate already" he says. Already? This has been more than 5 weeks now.

Basically, what it comes down to is that the Krungsi bank claims they have given me my money. The marketing officer at the BKK bank suggested I go to the head office of the BKK Bank

or the Krungsi bank. Or to come to the branch where I opened my account and speak with the head manager. And at the same time saying it may be a "waste of time." I am at a loss here.

I really need suggestions what to do here. Can any bank just get away with this?

Any help is highly appreciated. wai.gif

I used a KTB ATM near my home and the machine didn't spew out the money. I then made a balance enquiry which showed my acount had been debited. I went to the Pattaya Klang branch of KTB where my account is held and after consulting their directories I was told that they were not responsible for that particular ATM. I should address my complain to their branch on Pattaya Tai, which I did do. A very nice young lady dealt with the complaint and assisted me in making out a claim form. She was profuse with her apologies and promised that the money would be credited to my account within one week. Glory be - it was.

I was amazed on two counts. Firstly that I didn't lose my rag over the event, and secondly the money was returned without any fuss whatsoever. Perhaps the two were related?

Not sure if too much time has elapsed, for reporting purposes, but BKK Bank should be able to request Krungsi Bank to re-run a report on the ATM used for cash balance against transactions on the day of your transaction to confirm your 30,000 baht was not provided and therefore refunded. Being Thailand, I concur best approach would be to go to your actual branch manager.

Not sure if too much time has elapsed, for reporting purposes, but BKK Bank should be able to request Krungsi Bank to re-run a report on the ATM used for cash balance against transactions on the day of your transaction to confirm your 30,000 baht was not provided and therefore refunded. Being Thailand, I concur best approach would be to go to your actual branch manager.

Thanks to all for your comments/advise.wai.gif

Simple1: a re-run on the Krungsri ATM seems like a good idea, but according to BKK bank's investigation in this case, Krungsri still claims the ATM gave me the funds.

So it's basically their word against mine. (btw: I have never had any problems with ATM machines prior to this one)

Anyway, I will go to the bank again tomorrow. This is just not right.

Will keep you updated.

Edited by missy1827

I will preempt my remarks with I really don't know the innerworkings of atms well, but seems highly plausible that there was some malfunction, and the person/people who came in to "fix" it realized what happened and knew he could pocket it. In other words, maybe the reports you have been getting from your actual bank are accurate (ie the money is gone). You could ask to have the technician questioned. You just never know here, but good luck in any event.

I will preempt my remarks with I really don't know the innerworkings of atms well, but seems highly plausible that there was some malfunction, and the person/people who came in to "fix" it realized what happened and knew he could pocket it. In other words, maybe the reports you have been getting from your actual bank are accurate (ie the money is gone). You could ask to have the technician questioned. You just never know here, but good luck in any event.

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately you may be right: someone got lucky. That scenario has crossed my mind. It would explain a lot.

Anyway, will go to the bank and investigate further. That's all I can do for now.

Thanks for your post.

Unfortunately you may be right: someone got lucky. That scenario has crossed my mind. It would explain a lot.

Anyway, will go to the bank and investigate further. That's all I can do for now.

As an ex banker from memory ATMS were temperamental things(maybe they have improved now) I am also afraid this is what may have happened the tally roll would show money dispensed (the bank keep daily records of this so it can be requested as evidence) but maybe the trapped cash could have been taken by the technician or even bank offical or even spewed out into the street later. Good luck!

This happened to me with an AEON ATM and luckily I received a receipt that said:

cash requested: 40000

cash dispensed: 0

I'm not with AEON but with an Australian bank and it took about 3 months for the investigation to complete and for me to get my money back. Apparently a discrepancy should show up that the machine didn't give you money but someone at the bank will need to check it out. Since that incidence I now either get smaller amounts from the ATM or do an over the counter withdrawal.