Phuket Party?

raro

Phuket party?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, you heard right, we are thinking loud about having a party in Phuket.

Now we would like to know whether you guys are interested at all. And if so, where can we host it. I put some locations in the poll, please note it is multiple choice and if you guys feel an area is missing let me know and I add it to the poll.

Further....the importance of food. Finger food enough? Full blown buffet? You're on an entirely liquid diet?

And you like to have this as a family event? Boys night out? with/without kids?

And last not least, do you have any suggestions for a location?

And most important, can you suggest any sponsors?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be fun to see and meet TV members in real life.

I would prefer the less hassle the better. Bar or similar with some snack food available for purchase. No music or if there is no places in Phuket without music, then somewhere where the volume is low at least in the earlier evening. Just select some place which will be happy get few extra customers. In that case there would not be a need for sponsors.

Edited by Guest
Edited

For me a Sunday afternoon venue suitable for families for those who have them, which could mean somewhere kids wouldn't get bored, and people would be comfortable whether drinking, eating or talking. Meeting that criteria would be (amongst others I'm sure) the Ship Inn at Ao Yon. Next to pleasant beach, good views, good food and reasonably priced drinks. I'm pretty sure that once numbers were known, a price per head for a buffet could be arranged.

I think flexibility is important with these things. So buffet optional, etc. I would not want to commit to a whole evening including food, but would to a short visit which can always be extended.

I would probably go (if it was a no children event), but would only definitely commit if the location were not too far for travel. Therefore, I would prefer something centrally located - within the boundaries of anywhere between Kata and Kamala. I wouldn't be fussed about whether drinks or food were free, but a buffet style meal should be available. If there is to be free refreshment, something will be needed (as per previous occasions) to keep away balloon chasers who are not contributing TV members. I think it should be a member and partner only thing - I have an aversion to listening to other people's screaming kids (yes, I know that it's not YOURS who screech, it's always everyone else's kids).

As to venue, it would be nice to find a place with a pool. There's a goody (hotel with largish restaurant, bar and nice pool) on 50 Pi Rd here in Patong that would fit the bill perfectly and would probably be more than willing to host. No problem with on-street parking at this location either. It probably could not do a buffet (I can find look into this), but there is no shortage of choice for caterers at moderate price with very good food (I can easily sort out some contacts, if so desired).

I haven't answered your poll, because it is a bit too definitive.

• Like 1

Already one of the recurrent difficulties with organising these events on Phuket has risen.

Many people want to turn it into a party for their offspring and just as many others (including me) have no interest in spending an evening being annoyed by other peoples sprogs.

• Like 2

I'd prefer to hold the party in Patong or Kamala. I reccomend the Ex-Pat.

If some people want to bring their kids and some don't want kids there, I suggest that it starts in the afternoon with kids allowed until a specified time.

I suggest Carlsburg for a sponsor. They've been doing a lot of promotions in Phuket lately, and they make a great beer.

• Like 1

If some people want to bring their kids and some don't want kids there, I suggest that it starts in the afternoon with kids allowed until a specified time.

I suggest Carlsburg for a sponsor. They've been doing a lot of promotions in Phuket lately, and they make a great beer.

Last time a sponsor was involved I think he was left out of pocket because of all the people that said they would come but didn't turn up. Just an added complication to what should be just a simple social gathering.

Your idea 'westsail' regarding children is a perfect one. It amazes me how intolerant some people are and how they want everything to be catered for their personal needs and to hell with everybody else. People that are allergic to children can just turn up after the cut off time.

Does anybody else find it hilarious how people say 'I think a good place for the party is........' and then by pure coincidence name the place they happen to live.

The organisers should choose a place they think is suitable and people will either want to go or not. If people aren't prepared to travel then they can't have wanted to go that much IMO.

My advice would be to make it a paid for event with payment made in advance. Cuts to the chase and separates the time wasters from the genuinely interested and the money could be used for entertainment with people still having to buy their own food and drinks. That way people aren't paying for food they don't want etc.

Somebody mentioned flexibility. If people are such hard work that they just can't go with the flow, and be happy whether kids are there or not and don't care where it is, then they're not going to be the greatest fun at a party IMO. I would rather meet up with people who just say 'Yeh I'll come' and then just turned up and had fun with the details being irrelevant.

Just organise a party TV. Don't let all the 'I want it like this' & 'I want it there' brigade suck the fun out of it before it's even been arranged.

• Like 1

Last time a sponsor was involved I think he was left out of pocket because of all the people that said they would come but didn't turn up. Just an added complication to what should be just a simple social gathering.

Your idea 'westsail' regarding children is a perfect one. It amazes me how intolerant some people are and how they want everything to be catered for their personal needs and to hell with everybody else. People that are allergic to children can just turn up after the cut off time.

Does anybody else find it hilarious how people say 'I think a good place for the party is........' and then by pure coincidence name the place they happen to live.

The organisers should choose a place they think is suitable and people will either want to go or not. If people aren't prepared to travel then they can't have wanted to go that much IMO.

My advice would be to make it a paid for event with payment made in advance. Cuts to the chase and separates the time wasters from the genuinely interested and the money could be used for entertainment with people still having to buy their own food and drinks. That way people aren't paying for food they don't want etc.

Somebody mentioned flexibility. If people are such hard work that they just can't go with the flow, and be happy whether kids are there or not and don't care where it is, then they're not going to be the greatest fun at a party IMO. I would rather meet up with people who just say 'Yeh I'll come' and then just turned up and had fun with the details being irrelevant.

Just organise a party TV. Don't let all the 'I want it like this' & 'I want it there' brigade suck the fun out of it before it's even been arranged.

I don't find it hilarious that some people would like the party held where they live, I also don't think it is strange that there are intolerant people who would rather not have children bothering them, everyone is different, that is what makes the world interesting, the organizers should select the venue, tickets should be bought beforehand so as to guarantee numbers, obviously there are single members, there are members with gf's and members with wife's, there are members with children and without children, maybe the event could start at 13.00hrs this would allow members with children to attend without other members becoming upset, cut of time would be maybe 17.00hrs or 18.00 hrs, from the cut of time it would then be open to single members and couples without children, if you are not bothered by other peoples children you could attend all day. you will never make everyone happy, it is however important to sell tickets beforehand to avoid a very disappointing day.

I agree 100% with the Carlsburg sponsor suggestion, they have some top girls standing there not doing a lot apart from looking sexy!!

Edited by kawapower

I don't find it hilarious that some people would like the party held where they live, I also don't think it is strange that there are intolerant people who would rather not have children bothering them, everyone is different, that is what makes the world interesting,

OK, so hilarious was a bit of an exaggeration.tongue.png You're contradicting yourself a bit there 'Kawa'. If everyone being different is what makes the world interesting then surely you wouldn't want to exclude people just because they had a family?

It's not strange that people don't like kids, that's fairly normal. It's strange that people would think that their desire to have the party kid free is more important than somebody else's desire to have it a family affair. Unless the vote was very one sided then both parties have as much right as each other surely.

The same way it's highly egocentric to assume it's best to have the party near where you live or where you would prefer it to be, when so many people live in so many different places and have very different tastes.

It is impossible to please everybody which is why I suggested TV make all the decisions and who wants to go can go.

I try to combine the ideas together with an twist. For me the whole idea is to meet up with the people I'm talking together on this forum. It's about learning the real people and their smiles when talking.. something that is difficult to let other people to see, when we are just words written to a forum.

Could this work for us?

We'll have the initial party at the ThaiVisa / Phuket Gazette office. The location in right in the middle of the island and therefore none of us would have to travel too far to get there. Fair an simple in that term.

http://map.panphuket.com/mappoint/thaivisa-and-phuket-gazette-offices

The party would start on Saturday 3pm with normal 'who is who introduction'.

Phuket Gazette would provide an excursion introduction how the weekly newspaper is made. Explaining idea creation, news sources, editorial issues, how the readers could be part of the news making etc. Next step would go to see the printing process itself if it's done on these premises. This would provide something to talk about later on.

At this location, there would be beer, sodas and BBQ available for the prices we have get used with the street vendors. No real sponsors needed as it would feel a bit of being on debt with the sponsors. Well, to be honest if Carlsburg would want to sponsor the beers and PG the BBQ, that would be pretty ideal.

After the initial gathering, maybe 6pm, we could move to the next place. This could be an German beer garden close to Kathu waterfall, which I have not visited, but heard it can provide good beers and wurst.

http://map.panphuket.com/mappoint/german-beer-garden-estimated-location

After that, what happens in Phuket, stays in Phuket.

I have added three more regions, thanks for pointing this out!

For those who voted already, you can delete your vote and vote again. Sorry for that, but I am not that familiar with Phuket. wai.gif

I like that idea with the Phuket Gazette office. What do the others think? Is there any nice pub nearby where we can have some drinks later on?

What is there to do at a newspaper's office? I'm not sure I follow this logic. I guess it would have to be catered? The last official TV party I went to was at Friendship Beach in the Chalong/Rawai area. It was for the member and a guest. It was the last one that seemed to actually work out and people did show up. George was even there. And I still have my free TV beer condoms! Good luck with this project raro... Getting people on this forum to agree on a party has proven to be difficult in the recent past.

I think if you read raro's OP, you'll find he asked for suggestions for location and whether it should be a family event or otherwise. As to location, people are more likely to suggest locations they are familiar with - hardly a 'hilarious' concept. You can't leave it up to raro to find a place - he is not familiar with the island. Perhaps you could make a helpful suggestion in this respect? Your post could have the effect of people being loath to suggest venues - not very helpful at all.

Let's try to keep this thread on point and flame free.

I like that idea with the Phuket Gazette office. What do the others think? Is there any nice pub nearby where we can have some drinks later on?

What is there to do at a newspaper's office? I'm not sure I follow this logic. I guess it would have to be catered? The last official TV party I went to was at Friendship Beach in the Chalong/Rawai area. It was for the member and a guest. It was the last one that seemed to actually work out and people did show up. George was even there. And I still have my free TV beer condoms! Good luck with this project raro... Getting people on this forum to agree on a party has proven to be difficult in the recent past.

Agree with you Jimi. I also don't think the location is very good, everybody will have to drive a quite long way, the PG office is not close to any living area on the island.

I also doubt very much there will be enough people to warrant a afternoon with kids and evening session without kids. I think for it to be a success it would have to be one session, and the one at Friendship Beach would be a good example.

Edited by stevenl

I don't find it hilarious that some people would like the party held where they live, I also don't think it is strange that there are intolerant people who would rather not have children bothering them, everyone is different, that is what makes the world interesting,

OK, so hilarious was a bit of an exaggeration.tongue.png You're contradicting yourself a bit there 'Kawa'. If everyone being different is what makes the world interesting then surely you wouldn't want to exclude people just because they had a family?

It's not strange that people don't like kids, that's fairly normal. It's strange that people would think that their desire to have the party kid free is more important than somebody else's desire to have it a family affair. Unless the vote was very one sided then both parties have as much right as each other surely.

The same way it's highly egocentric to assume it's best to have the party near where you live or where you would prefer it to be, when so many people live in so many different places and have very different tastes.

It is impossible to please everybody which is why I suggested TV make all the decisions and who wants to go can go.

Looking at this issue in simplicity, I believe the party is targeted at "members" of TV. So, if a wife, girlfriend or children have a username and post on the forum, they would be more than welcome to attend. If not, what is the point of the member going to the party, if they will be spending most of their time with their spouse and/or children????

Is the party not about meeting several other members of TV???? Does that not take ones time, and attention?

For me, it has nothing to do with "screaming kids" and everything to do with the atmosphere of the party. I would suggest that most members of TV would feel more comfortable approaching a table of men drinking beer and introducing themselves, then approaching a family sitting at a table.

It maybe argued that the "women" will want to chat amongst themselves whilst the guys have a chat over a beer. However, I have found Thai women to be very competitive in this sort of environment and they frequently compare who has the farang with the most money etc. After the event, many guys come home to the "keeping up with the Jones" whinging. Eg. "Can we buy new car too darling?" etc etc

I'm single, but many of my friends have reported to me experiencing this phenomenon, after BBQ's etc. These situations can often be a very "bitchy" environment for Thai women. Members should consider that their wife/girlfriend may not have a good time anyway.

Missed Ric n' Rolls last year but did go to the Friendship Beach one. That was great except that people weren't too open to introducing themselves from behind their nics, I hope this time people won't be so shy, as yea, would like to meet and greet a few here.

Best to just name a location, time and details and be done with it. Otherwise we'll go on forever regarding where. I like Ping's idea of a hotel with a pool, that would be cool. Or maybe something in Jungceylon as there is parking and it's centrally located.

Anyway, lets do it !

• Like 1

Question:

Other regions have regular get togethers. Do they have this whole "must be family/kids orientated?".

I haven't noticed that with, for instance, CM, Bangkok or Pattaya parties. It's always members and partners.

Why do we on Phuket have to worry about supplying playgrounds, fairy bread, clowns (although they come anyway) and suitable enviroments for people who want to inflict their kids on what is a forum function?

What if I decide to bring my wife's family for a few free drinks? All fifty of them!

• Like 1

What if I decide to bring my wife's family for a few free drinks? All fifty of them!

Old Croc if in that fifty are a bunch of hot ladies......................more the merrier !!!

Have to agree though, as much as I do like kids, not certain this would be the greatest time to bring them along, IMHO.

Went to both of them in the past 6 years or so: Friendship beach and Rick and rolls.

The first one was pretty good in that pretty many people came and it was a nice location.

I remember people complaining later it was too far away for those who live in the northern part of the island.

I also remember there wasn't a whole lot of energy to mingle or introduce yourselves. I did meet a few regulars and it's nice to have a face to put with a post.

It probably tends to keep the site a little more friendly.

Of course, the a-holes probably won't show up or not say who they are.

The 2nd party at Rick and rolls was sparsely attended.

The only person I remember who introduced themselves was Kata Beach Bum who seemed like a very nice guy.

And look where he is now.

Makes me wonder if a later night, bar only type atmosphere creates a less friendly party???

Where the venue is held is important IMO.

Either way, I'd probably go.

Oh well. As far as Farang father/Thai mother families are concerned, I think a children cut off time would strike the Thai woman as a pretty bizarre concept. Maybe better if the venue sets up a children's room with toys and a television tuned to the cartoon channel, and maybe 2 adults to keep an eye on it.

i think weekend makes more sense and while i would love to see it in rawai or chalong for personal reasons, i think central island makes more sense for everyone

i have kids but doubt i would bring them unless it was specifically organized with kids in mind which i don't think is the plan

Party is a good idea. Phuket is about the beach so on the beach would be great. Friendship Beach did work well. Another option would be Nikita Bar in Rawai, very popular with expats, on the water. Expat in Patong could handle an event like this one. Would vote against any venue that even resembles a shophouse.

A couple of things that spring to mind are adequate parking, and perhaps a late afternoon start to accommodate those that don't go late into the night. I went to the Freedom beach and Rick N Roll gig and at Freedom most people did not mingle, while at Ricks there were 5 or 6 of us at one table that didn't know each other well before the event, but got along well enough that some of the " I don't want to tell you my nic" group did. It's always nice to put a face to a nic.