Is Thailand Really Cheaper For You ?

MrRealDeal

I don't mean do you simply spend less, I mean if you compare the quality of life , like item comparisions like same sized housing in the same kind fo place, ie: city or country , same basic eating habits , ect ect ..... When it's all said and done do you think you are saving or living a lot better or just a little or the same ?

I ask because I actually spend more to live about the same however I live in a more expensive area so that makes sence. But aside from that the normal things we all use like TV , internet , Airconditioning , Car , entertainment , ect doesn't seem to be all that much cheaper. What I find is the things I don't need much like a plumber or a contractor are sure cheap but everything I use often isn't that much different for similar items, Cigs are cheap beer is about the same , household electronics and goods are not much different. I do find no tax on my house and land a decent savings but when I buy a new car every few years it's gone.

Motorcycle taxis are cheap but so is a moped here. I don't use Taxis so I dun save much there ! I actually weighed the 100 bhat cooked chicken people think is a good deal and it came out to 90 cents a pound , it's 88 cents here when I buy it but not cooked of course. The 99 bht buffet went up to 149 They have 5 dollar buffets all across america for lunch, not dinner but a meal is a meal. If I wanted to eat dollar snacks like fried rice and the like I can do that all day long here to, it's just different stuff, perhaps not as good for ya and not prepared but it's pretty much the same if you shop sensibly buy at costco ect.

Please don't flame me to bad or call me a newbie to Thailand because I am new to the forum but not to Thailand.

It just really seems to me that in order to save enough to make some real noticeable difference I would have to live in a smaller, not as nice place, AND not have a car. Neither of which would make my life better for the same price !

Am I really missing something ? electric, internet, cell phone, replaceing electronics\furnature, water, clothing, cable tv, HOA fees, movies and outings, all seem to be pretty close for the same things compared to pattaya sized citys in America especially southern America.

I am sort of lowballing what I really think because I actually think if you add in the agravation factor and the constant replacement of things factor, it ends up to be more, the savings on prepared foods is lost on going to get them for example. I spend an easy 300 bhat each when my wife and I go to a low end outside place to eat, I can eat for 300 bhat at much nicer places for that in the usa. Inside airconditioned full bar ect. Movies are about 1 maybe 2 dollars less but how many movies do I see ? Not enough to matter.

I understand you CAN live for less if you want less but it seems to me living pretty much the same, but not really, because i'm not buying imported expensive things to match exactly, but like Thai items, ends up to be at least as much when the yearly accounting is done ! Do you guys find the same or am I just crazy ? And please don't compare fried rice with a steak dinner or a motorcycle ride with a car. Do you live the same for much less or just differently for about the same like me ? My guess is a lot of people live differently for less but get what they pay for, not differently and better for much less.

My experience is the savings aren't really even savings but added expences ! My maid is a good deal but I dont use a maid in the usa so it's not really a savings ! Same with laundry, its a nice service but it's not cheaper than doing it at home in the usa ! lol I like to point that out to people who tell me that hookers are a savings in Thailand, I ask them how many hookers do you buy a week back home ? They usually laugh and get the point.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Farmer with slim young wife in Thailand Vs single unemployed guy living in bedsit in UK

Not much to think about for me really.

Though I agree, the traditional capitalist consumer from the west might not find Thailand to their taste.

(especially if they don't want slim younger women)

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

The guy is comparing non local foods (farang foods / here and in the states). I mean to make a fair comparison compare a Thai Restaurant in the US with a Sizler in Thailand.

Laundry.. how can you even compare doing it yourself with letting someone do it.

I live here a lot cheaper as i ever could at home. Food wise the prices don't differ that much because i have special needs (read sports diet and dairy is cheaper where i come from).

Car.. here is not more expensive as at home.. but then again fuel is real cheap in the US but not in Europe.

Electronics.. definitely more expensive here. All in all i still live cheaper here and have a much better life.

• Like 1

For me, definitely cheaper.

1 bed duplex condo 120m2 - Asoke, Bangkok literally 2 mins walk to BTS/MRT/Terminal 21, True Fitness, Soi Cowboy "entertainment" - £625pm

1 bed duplex condo 120m2 - W10/W11, London 2 minutes walk to Ladbroke Grove tube, Portobello Road etc - £2500pm

Taxi ride Swampy Airport - Asoke £10

Taxi ride Heathrow - Notting Hill £40

Heineken beer - Insomnia sukhumvit soi 12 £4.16

Heineken beer - Movida, Argyll Street, W1 £8.00

Marlboro Lights/Gold - 7-11 Asoke - £1.63

Marlboro Lights/Gold - Sainsburys, Ladbroke Grove - £7.39

Internet, cable TV, imported food more pricey, I guess but nowhere near enough to meaningfully pare savings on the essentials like accommodation, transport, booze and fags.

• Like 2

I'm with all that Impulse .... Pretty much what I guess I already knew .... Just depends where you come from and where you go to. I am from an inexpensive place unlike the guy from London so I suppose we see it differently for the same thing ! ..... But yeah it's mostly just different not better or worse for me to.

I'm with all that Impulse .... Pretty much what I guess I already knew .... Just depends where you come from and where you go to. I am from an inexpensive place unlike the guy from London so I suppose we see it differently for the same thing ! ..... But yeah it's mostly just different not better or worse for me to.

I think impulse with his remark pretty much hit the nail on its head.

• Like 2

When you buy a car here it might be expensive compared to some EU countries and the US but don't forget the 2hand price is very high so when you sell it you will get a lot back. Keeping the car running is cheap, fuel is cheap as well (compared to EU).

My house cost me app 300k us$ here, in DK depending of location at least 2X times that (in the sticks).

Here we goes out a lot out for eating both local and foreign food, will hardly go out in DK, too expensive man.

I don't pay any income tax here, if I lived in DK and had the same job, min 35% tax (work world wide in the off-shore industry 6 month pr year).

Mt life style is much better here than the one I could have in DK so no plans of moving back (ever).

Edited by guzzi850m2

My employers pay all my expenses in Thailand so essentially life here is free - but of course I could argue if I didn't spend the money I would keep it and on that basis I agree with the OP's observations.

To clarify back in the UK I live in a very good area, first class local state schools an excellent medical practice/dentist, a 'desirable' low crime, good public service area. I should also clarify that I pay the same tax and NI in Thailand as if I were in the UK, so no advantages there.

To achieve a comparable standard of living in Thailand as we have back home costs very much more.

I don't think I've ever regarded Thailand as a cheap place to live - though of course it is possible to have a cheap life here.

I like Impulse's response, but I'd add that when families are involved rather than individuals the choices are never going to be the same.

Edited by GuestHouse

I don't think I save money by living in Thailand ,I spend not including drinking money approx 5000 aus a month ,stick another 1000 on top of that for my social life

The beauty of life in Thailand is the options it allows me ,I could live in a much cheaper place,I could clean my own house ,I could change my babies nappys ,I can get all these things in Thailand and still live to the max

Back in Australia (I'm not from there just the last country I lived in prior to Thailand ) I had none of the things I have in Thailand ,didn't save a whole lot either , then I had a pretty crap life and I left to find something better

You choose to spank a load of money on a life here but you could do it much much cheaper ,you will be folding your own underpants

As others have said it depends where you come from. America is pretty cheap isn't it ? Also western currencies crashing against the baht make things seem more expensive now if comparing to back home.

Just as an example chicken breast here 100Baht/kilo (£2), in the UK, Sussex/Surrey border cheapest £12 a kilo and that was before I left. Apparently food prices have gone up since then.

Taxis are 5 times the price and that's not even comparing capital cities.

Beer at least twice the price.

Try buying a detatched house with a pool for under 5MB (£100k) , actually you can't buy a detatched house with a tiny garden for under £250k (12.5MB).

Petrol is less than half here.

I certainly can't eat out for 60 pence.

And where can you buy a beer for £2-£3 in a strip club in the UK ?

Thats a little harsh but your name is hostile ! lol ....... You can post whatever you want, but my intention was to find out people personal experiences not to start an argument over peoples lifestyle, or start a topic about what people thought about other peoples experiences.

A higher standard of living can be achieved for the same cost… I spend a similar amount but have much more enjoyable time doing so.

So, are things cheaper ? Most are, but it depends how and where you spread your costs with regards to luxuries vs essentials…

Cars here – ouch !!! but running costs are generally cheaper

Eating out – Generally cheaper

Supermarket shopping – Generally cheaper unless going for Luxury imported foods

Clothes Shopping – Possibly more expensive

Electronics – Generally Cheaper here (except phones)

Transport – Generally Cheaper here

Accommodation – Generally Cheaper here

Beer – Similar to the UK (Countryside, not London!)

Nights out – Significantly cheaper here (Whiskey on the table !)

TV – Similar to the UK for a poorer service

Phone bill – Cheaper than the UK for a poorer service

Phone - Much more expensive here than with a contract in the UK.

Education – More expensive (but International school vs UK comprehensive is not an even playing field)

Beach Holidays – Much cheaper !!

Skiing holidays – A lot more expensive !

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

A higher standard of living can be achieved for the same cost… I spend a similar amount but have much more enjoyable time doing so.

So, are things cheaper ? Most are, but it depends how and where you spread your costs with regards to luxuries vs essentials…

Cars here – ouch !!! but running costs are generally cheaper

Eating out – Generally cheaper

Supermarket shopping – Generally cheaper unless going for Luxury imported foods

Clothes Shopping – Possibly more expensive

Electronics – Generally Cheaper here (except phones)

Transport – Generally Cheaper here

Accommodation – Generally Cheaper here

Beer – Similar to the UK (Countryside, not London!)

Nights out – Significantly cheaper here (Whiskey on the table !)

TV – Similar to the UK for a poorer service

Phone – Cheaper than the UK for a poorer service

Education – More expensive (but International school vs UK comprehensive is not an even playing field)

Beach Holidays – Much cheaper !!

Skiing holidays – A lot more expensive !

Good list but don't agree about the clothes buying.

I need a lot less clothes (one season instead of 4) here than in my home country.

And I guess that it all depends what your home country is and your personal preferences.

One thing for sure, I lead a very different life compared to the live I would have in my home country.tongue.png

Yermaneewai.gif

Healthcare is a big variable - Free in the UK, not so many parts of the world and certainly not so in Thailand.

The variation between International Schools in Thailand is about as wide as the variation between comprehensive schools in the UK - From the superb to the abysmal.

Cars are a lot cheaper as far as insurance and depreciation. I pay 1/2 of what I would in Canada for insurance. Sold my Nissan pickup 2 months ago had it for 3 and 1/2 years sold it for $600 dollars less than i paid for it. In Canada I would have lost thousands just driving it around the block. I bought a new car in Canada a year before moving to Thailand . I sold it after one year and got 60% of my purchase price.

I called my sister yesterday and she told me it costs a minimum of $500 a month just for heat,electric and water bills. Taxes on homes can easy run into the thousands annually. Everything we buy has a 7% provincial tax and a 7% federal tax added to the purchase cost. Medicare is free but must pay monthly fee of about $150 to be in the system, if you go to the doctor or not.

Canadian dollar gets about 30 baht to one dollar so you do the math.or maths as the english say.

All my post has managed to do is make me wish I had lived in a more expensive place before coming here so I could reap the savings you guys are getting ! lol But i'm glad to know my 23,000 Dollar Camry that cost 41,000 is worth 40,400 !

• Like 1

I don't think I save money by living in Thailand ,I spend not including drinking money approx 5000 aus a month ,stick another 1000 on top of that for my social life

The beauty of life in Thailand is the options it allows me ,I could live in a much cheaper place,I could clean my own house ,I could change my babies nappys ,I can get all these things in Thailand and still live to the max

Back in Australia (I'm not from there just the last country I lived in prior to Thailand ) I had none of the things I have in Thailand ,didn't save a whole lot either , then I had a pretty crap life and I left to find something better

You choose to spank a load of money on a life here but you could do it much much cheaper ,you will be folding your own underpants

Sounds like your just creating your own farang life in LOS. sad.png

not for me. i lost alot during the flood, and not to mention those dam_n inlaw issues

Many got flooded, did you not get a chance to bring some of your stuff to higher grounds ? I remember the flooding of our village it took days. and we were one of the first had i known it was that bad i would have gotten out more. Now we put most of the stuff on the second floor. We sure did have damages but not as bad as it could have been.