Bangkok-Chiang Mai High Speed Rail Ready By 2018: Transport Ministry

webfact

Transport Ministry: BKK-Chiang Mai high speed rail ready by 2018

high.jpeg

BANGKOK, 22 May 2012 (NNT) – The Transport Minister has expressed confidence that the first high speed railway connecting Bangkok and Chiang Mai will be ready for service by 2018.

Transport Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan has disclosed that Thailand and China have agreed to conduct a feasibility study on the country’s first high-speed rail project. With Chinese experts surveying the planned route of the Bangkok-Chiang Mai high speed rail construction, which spans over 745 km, it has been suggested that the railway should be constructed to support a velocity of 250-300 km/hour while focusing on passenger transportation.

The feasibility study of the project will take a year to finalize before construction can commence. The Bangkok-Chiang Mai high speed rail is expected to be ready in service by 2018.

The source of fund remains to be determined based on public interest whether it should solely come from the Thai government's budget or a government-to-government cooperation.

Under a total budget of 983.47 billion baht, the Transport Ministry has plans to construct 5 high-speed rail routes, including Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Nong Khai, Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani, Bangkok-Rayong, and Bangkok-Padang Besar.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-05-22 footer_n.gif

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will they award the contract to Chinese tablet computer maker, Shenzhen Scope?

unsure.png

Under a total budget of 983.47 billion baht, the Transport Ministry has plans to construct 5 high-speed rail routes, including Bangkok-Chiang Mai, Bangkok-Nong Khai, Bangkok-Ubon Ratchathani, Bangkok-Rayong, and Bangkok-Padang Besar.

I look forward to riding the 1,347 kilometers of high-speed rail between chiang mai and padang besar in six years.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Doesn't a feasibility study try to determine WHETHER the project is feasible? Perhaps announcing the completion date is a little premature.

Some of the land in the railway corridors may need to be resumed, I guess... and equipment purchased... that's a lot of concrete and rails... 6 years, huh? ... hmmmmm

Especially as they say the source of the fund(ing) has to be determined.

Maybe they will prove us sceptics wrong and it will open on an auspicious date in 2018.

Edited by theoldgit

I do not think Thailand is ready for this, let them solve the flood problems first and learn Thai to drive. Such a railway is asking for many problems and a need of thousants of security personel.

• Like 1

Why just Chiang Mai why not go up a few more miles to Chiang Rai too, whilst I would welcome a faster service, it seems like a certain family are doing the best they can to benefit their own home town.

• Like 1

Why just Chiang Mai why not go up a few more miles to Chiang Rai too, whilst I would welcome a faster service, it seems like a certain family are doing the best they can to benefit their own home town.

Chiang Rai is a tiny little town comparing to Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

I remember the accident of the high speed train in China last year ...... is it the same model which will come in Thailand ? The Chinese only copied the french TGV I just wonder if it will be as reliable. I guess not ....China is famous for his low quality products.

• Like 1

Transport ministry , please give this budget to the Education Ministry so they can change / improve the education system. By 2018, we will get a more educated, efficient and able work force to contribute in the unified AEC.

• Like 1

Chiang Rai is a tiny little town comparing to Chiang Mai.

Ever heard of places developing because they have a railway, last time I looked Chiang Rai doesn't seem to have one. A few more miles into Chiang Rai even at reduced speeds would bring some economic benefits to the people of that town.

• Like 1

Will they award the contract to Chinese tablet computer maker, Shenzhen Scope?

unsure.png

I look forward to riding the 1,347 kilometers of high-speed rail between chiang mai and padang besar in six years.

Don`t raise your hopes too high as it will never happen.

Regarding the estimated budget, no way Jose.

I can remember in the UK way back in the 1960s when they were building the London Jubilee line, by the time the project was finally completed the budget had risen 6 fold and it was the same situation when they were building the channel tunnel England/France rail link. The estimated costs were increasing month by month. I believe in the end the whole project cost 10 times more than what they first estimated.

Those that are involved with the new high speed Bangkok/Chiang Mai railway should be studying some historic facts before announcing a date of completion.

It will probably happen, but not in the next 6 years.

How long did the Channel Tunnel take? (I forget). (Ok, going under the sea is a bit different than this route.)

But what would scare me is the adequacy of the rail bed to take the weight of a high-speed train, not to mention the possibility of frequent floods. No way 6 years is adequate.

Why the immediate knee-jerk mention of Shinawatra. Bkk and CM are Thailand's two biggest cities...perfectly logical to connect those two cities, like NY to Boston, or London to Brum or Paris to Lyon etc

The Transport Minister has expressed confidence that the first high speed railway connecting Bangkok and Chiang Mai will be ready for service by 2018

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I wonder if it will have to make frequent stops to allow trains going the other way to pass?coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Doesn't a feasibility study try to determine WHETHER the project is feasible? Perhaps announcing the completion date is a little premature.

Some of the land in the railway corridors may need to be resumed, I guess... and equipment purchased... that's a lot of concrete and rails... 6 years, huh? ... hmmmmm

Well the Chinese are quick, In their own country they have proven countless times, that they can do something alike in 5 years. The only thing that might stop them is, that human rights are taken a bit more seriously in Thailand. At least I hope so. That might slow down processes like getting the land and stuff like that.