Lady Gaga Fans Gush, Critics Blast Fake-Watch Tweet: Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's called tough love. Sometimes you gotta be hard on someone (or a people) and someone needs to be speaking the truth. Sadly, there seem to be FEW native Thais speaking publicly on all manner of ills here. Perhaps if there were some in the media more often, Thais would face (a bit) less criticism from the 'outside' world. Somebody's got to do it. I want this place to improve for them and for me.

There are a lot of Thai people out there including me who don't get offended by what she said.

Some of you live in Thailand for a long time and already know that you have to be 'fake' to make people like you.

When I was young and still lived in Thailand, I didn't have many friends in school & uni because I was a frank person and liked to speak my mind. Most of them hated me because of that reason. They just couldnt accept the truth.

Another funny thing I read on some forums is that some Thai people translated 'Lady Market' as Brothels [Market that sells lady] LOL instead of a shopping place.

I think she meant Pat Pong when she said 'lady market', no?

There are a lot of Thai people out there including me who don't get offended by what she said.

Some of you live in Thailand for a long time and already know that you have to be 'fake' to make people like you.

When I was young and still lived in Thailand, I didn't have many friends in school & uni because I was a frank person and liked to speak my mind. Most of them hated me because of that reason. They just couldnt accept the truth.

Another funny thing I read on some forums is that some Thai people translated 'Lady Market' as Brothels [Market that sells lady] LOL instead of a shopping place.

She was just in Hong Kong where she went shopping in a place called Ladies Market, think that's all it means and she thinks thats some generic Asian term for market with stuff for women.

Why would any Thai be upset about this comment? The should be upset about there being so many fake goods available.

On the other hand, why would Lady GaGa make such a comment when she is from New York and fake Rolex watches are available all over the place.

Why would any Thai be upset about this comment? The should be upset about there being so many fake goods available.

On the other hand, why would Lady GaGa make such a comment when she is from New York and fake Rolex watches are available all over the place.

I don't think anyone really IS upset. The posters here seem more upset about the idea of Thais being upset about this. This is a manufactured story. Write a story based on a few tweets that says Thais are outraged when 99% don't care at all, and then get people talking about the supposed outrage and drum up publicity.

As for why she'd say anything, publicity

Edited by DP25

they should be bitching about being called "farung" since the correct word is "farang"

Depends what phonetics you use I guess, I've seen a couple of variants, but who cares as long everyone knows what's meant. wink.png

Thais would probably bother less about being called "Asians" than "Chings", the latter would mean "chinese", right? wink.png

Care less as apparently after all, all foreigners are the same so should not be a problem to put all asians into one potthumbsup.gif

You mean like having a good laugh at the sight of a mangled motorbike and corpse nearby?

Now what does LadyGaga have to do with the motorbikes? Nvm, I'm off to get some coffee.

absolutely nothing but your post was not about gaga or bikes it was about sense of humourthumbsup.gif

Ah but, New York fake Rolex no good, Thai fake Rolex, real deal

We are talking about a Pop Star Of The Moment, on a roll of a world tour.

Outraging the earlier generations is part of the mandatory method of the game.

She succeeds regularly in a world harder and harder to shock.

If anyone is taking her on tour verbal/tweeting output seriously,

prove they themselves are as a soft as a sneaker full of puppy poop.

And double yes to the "Fabulously Thin Skinned" comment above.

Any more diaphanous of attitude and they would be arrested for indecent public display.

Edited by animatic

They are sooooooooooo pathetic, ranting away about the Thai image on their laptops with cracked OS........

Actually I recently bought a laptop that came without an OS. The store, one of Thailand biggest electrical retailers not only offered to install a pirated OS they were unable to tell me where I could buy a genuine OS.

Bought laptop last week,asked for genuine W7,couldn't do it,licence cost too much.Well i tried.

She was just in Hong Kong where she went shopping in a place called Ladies Market, think that's all it means and she thinks thats some generic Asian term for market with stuff for women.

Thort she ment Soi 6 -

I don't think anyone really IS upset. The posters here seem more upset about the idea of Thais being upset about this. This is a manufactured story. Write a story based on a few tweets that says Thais are outraged when 99% don't care at all, and then get people talking about the supposed outrage and drum up publicity.

As for why she'd say anything, publicity

I asked a few of the locals what they thought earlier on. As you correctly surmise, not one of them was remotely interested.

They are sooooooooooo pathetic, ranting away about the Thai image on their laptops with cracked OS........

Actually I recently bought a laptop that came without an OS. The store, one of Thailand biggest electrical retailers not only offered to install a pirated OS they were unable to tell me where I could buy a genuine OS.

If it's the yellow fruit IT company, I had exactly the same experience last week... what's more it ended up being cheaper for me to order the same laptop (actually had slightly better specs abroad) in from abroad with a legal OS than buy the laptop + cracked copy here. Amazing Thailand!

Thais ought to be proud that they have the skills to make a fake Rolex that looks so good and at a fraction of the price. The vendors who sell these watches and the people who buy them all know that these are not orginals and nobody is trying to cheat or rip each other off. Fashion is not a priveledge that only the rich can enjoy. What is authentic? What is fake? The idiot Thais who found this comment upsetting really need to rethink their values.

The type of people I hate the most besides mass murderers are people who are too proud to ever be real with the world.

I think these hiso Thai's that were offended by this statement, are really just frustrated because they want everyone to know that they are upper class just by how they dress but with all of the inexpensive designer styled fashion, fake jewelry, watches, etc; they actually have to interact with other people if they want others to know how financially special they are.

The biggest problem with people who think like that is that even though they may wear 100% authentic Armani, Gucci, Tag Heuer etc.; but the person behind the costume is fake. Sorry losers, you can keep your little exclusive club to yourselves, because I have no desire to hang out in your boring bourgiouse homes or restaurants.

Lady Gaga is a very young person without any important background of studies at university. She does not know Thailand, she does not care, she did not intend to be offensive. She is an excellent professional making a poor joke, that's it. She just repeats what she heard. Within 3 days, she'll have forgotten all about Thailand.

IF you going to make comments on someone's education and background, may i suggest you get your grammar and language skills to a higher level.

She sure has more talent and education to have reached the four million mark in digital sales and have a second world tour

there is also the fact that while she did not graduate because she left to pursue her career, she did receive early admission to New York University's Tisch School of the Arts which is quite an achievement.

This purposely controversial tweet has provided Thai Visa Members with as much incentive to bash thailand as it has provided Thais cause to spout nationalistic nonsense. Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Like 1

Lady Gaga is a very young person without any important background of studies at university. She does not know Thailand, she does not care, she did not intend to be offensive. She is an excellent professional making a poor joke, that's it. She just repeats what she heard. Within 3 days, she'll have forgotten all about Thailand.

IF you (you are) going to make comments on someone's education and background, may i (I) suggest you get your grammar and language skills to a higher level.

She sure has more (enough) talent and education to have reached the four million mark in digital sales and have a second world tour

Maybe you should get your writing abilities up to par before you comment on another person's effort. "More", in your usage, is comparative. You didn't compare it to anything. You should have written "more than enough" or simply "enough", as I have indicated in parenthesis.

Thanks for your time.

As you guess I'm NOT American like you and Lady Gaga => I make a lot of mistakes when i write in English.

I would like to thank all TV members who correct me.

By the way, TV could have a forum about "Improve your English skills" because it's not the place here.