Bangkok With Family Expenses

Hi Guys, I am evaluating an offer and will like your assistance.

I am Asian with Thai wife and 2 toddlers. Have been offered a package after tax of circa 145K. Accommodation is provided for by the company.

I am wondering is 145K baht a month suitable for an family of 4? Here is my calculation for monthly expenses.

Private School 15K (1 school going only)

Mobile 2K

Internet 1.5K

Electricity 3.5K

Car + Fuel + Parking (I intend to buy and pay an installment of 15K a month)

Food 20K

Groceries 20K

Maid 10K

Entertainment 20K

Misc 20K

Total 127K

Groceries is mainly for milk + diaper and any children related expenses. Misc is for insurance, etc...hope I covered almost everything.

If you not a troll then It all depends on where you live. For a city like Sydney you would need to rearrange your budget and do without the maid for $300 AUD a month and the private school.

A car will cost that in petrol alone if you live in the outer suburbs and need to drive to work everyday.

You could do it but you will but be prepared to cut a few items from your budget.

That should be plenty...main outlay will be education. As your kids are half Thai see if there are any schools that offer an EP Programme, rather than sending them to an overly expensive International school.EP is on a par with International levels but costs less than 50k a year!...Do you really need a car in BKK?...BTS, MRT and taxis are very cheap and quick, if you intend just using at the weekend for trips, rent a car for each time....Good luck and hope all goes well

That should be plenty...main outlay will be education. As your kids are half Thai see if there are any schools that offer an EP Programme, rather than sending them to an overly expensive International school.EP is on a par with International levels but costs less than 50k a year!...Do you really need a car in BKK?...BTS, MRT and taxis are very cheap and quick, if you intend just using at the weekend for trips, rent a car for each time....Good luck and hope all goes well

hi can you please share what is EP? i am new to schooling in bkk and my concerns is that the education may be lack luster in a private scholl but unfortunately i cant afford international schools either. I am also planning on engaging a private tutor for my children. do you think this is easily available in Bkk?

• 2 weeks later...

Most look OK.

Biggest question is on school fees? Where are you sending them?

We pay about 300k - 350k per yer per toddler, so averages 25k - 30k per toddler per month. That is for an "international school". Cheaper options are "bi-lingual" schools, which might be OK. If you're an Asian expat passing thru, you don't want to be putting your toddlers in Thai state schools although they are the cheapest options. Look in the Family and Children section of here as there are quite a few threads on school fees.

Ask what the company do for you in terms of life insurance and medical insurance

smile.png

If you use a pre-paid phone and only personal use you will probably end up paying less than that. The wife and I rarely use over THB 1,000 a month between us for 2 phones. Or should I say she does, as she spends a lot more time on the phone than I do. I use Skype for international calls.

Your internet should be cheaper than that. We've just changed packages with TOT. After the promotion finishes (399 baht/month) it's 599 per month for the WIFI with 7Mb speed. Previously we had 4Mb speed and the upgrade is hardly noticeable, as you don't regularly get 7Mb anyway - more like 4-5. On top was a new router at about 900 baht or so. We have a land line on top for 100 baht a month which we hardly ever use. may be an installation cost for a landline...

:)

Edited by fletchsmile