Soy Yogurts Yuu Thi Nai?

aneliane

I have been thinking of making yoghurt as it is hard to find good and nice priced yoghurt over here. Best would be if i could make cotton cheese, that is a great source of protein. But i think im too lazy as i eat a lot of it it would take a lot of work too.

I've never been able to get used to cotton cheese, difficult getting it down and particularly messy out the other end.

I used to eat a lot of it in the Netherlands as it was a cheap and easy protein source. Just put some musli in it and its ready to eat. But if your a bit lactose intolerant then you will have problems.

I recently noticed that sometimes i have problems with the milk here so i added some soy and left some milk out. I still drink milk but less. I will see if it is good or not.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now granted in our current society vegetarians can survive, this was certainly not the case in the old days.

Only if by "our current society" you mean since the advent of organized agriculture. Vegetarianism has been part of religious practice for thousands of years.

Not advocating, just sayin'

Now granted in our current society vegetarians can survive, this was certainly not the case in the old days.

Only if by "our current society" you mean since the advent of organized agriculture. Vegetarianism has been part of religious practice for thousands of years.

Not advocating, just sayin'

That is what i mean, but im not going into this anymore because i promised to be nice. Also I don't want to go OT too much.

I always was careful with soy, because of the estrogen. Recently it has been cleared so i put it in my diet but only a little bit who knows what the next research will say.

But i think soy if safe can be good to replace milk a bit as many people are lactose intolerant. I might be a little bit or i just had a few bad milk times. Because the yoghurt does not seem to affect me and the milk in my oatmeal also seems to be ok.

Anyway soy is new for me so i was looking for the right brands and no sugar added. Plus it must be readily available. I don't like to travel too much for my day to day foods. But for treats like smoked salmon with good french bread i make an exception. I just hop on the bike and travel 22km one way to get it sometimes.

"You " is not everyone, leave a bit of time for some of the non usual suspects here to give an opinion, please ?

pretty please ?

After four days and 63 posts, I was just trying to help you realize that you could have set up a factory and be producing by now if it were important to you.

If you're only after opinions you'll get those aplenty, it's hard facts that are thin on the ground when it's a topic few here have even considered before.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

I eat soya yogart when i'm in England. it's delicious and the brand I buy, alpro , has a consistency similar to greek yogart.

The reason why soya yogart is healthier is that it's fats are vegetable based and are easier for the body to break down and therefore less likely to

hang around and clogg arteries ec ect.

And listen fat boy's when u look down at you bellies discounting the beer, the probability is that the majority of it is made up of dead animals

and their side produce.

But bac on topic, i haven't seen soya yogart here, so i'de be interested whether anyone's tried the r ecipe from earlier in the thread.

I eat dead animals and plenty of them. I don't have a beer belly and i got a pretty good physique. Its all about eating good foods, and that does not automatically mean you have to be a vegetarian.

It just means you have to eat the right foods, and exercise and stay away from alcohol. You might not live longer but it certainly feels a lot longer. biggrin.png

I am a firm believer in exercise and a good diet, and for people who really work out dead animals are a great source of protein and energy. We are omnivores not herbivores. Most stupid animals are herbivores (think vegetarians) predators (smarter usually) eat meat. They are smarter and stronger because they have to out think the prey (herbivores).

I mean if some vegan is flaming people who eat meat he can get a response.

LOL Well i never!!! clap2.gif meat eating, weight lifting, Havent by any chance got a pitbull, have you?

A picture builds!!!

I got the Thai version of a pitbull 2 Bangkaew dogs.But tell me how do you find time for posting on the board here aren't you out burning buildings and protesting all time ? To go for one of the stereotypes just like you seem to do.

I could say more but i promised to be nice as its about soy yoghurt here but you started flaming people.

LOl clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

brit1984 said "There is in fact only one problem with France". I'm intrigued, brit. As a wild, wild guess, could it be that the French are crap at cricket? I bet that's it!

Ooops! Quick! Back on topic - I've looked too but havn't found it so far. Villa seems to have the best choices - perhaps there?

On your first point, you have identified one part of the problem I see with France, however the problem with France is a wider issue than cricket, and to clarify the problem with France would be off-topic (and may cause offense).

On your second point, indeed they have a good selection of yoghurts in Villa. I don't know if they have soy yoghurt but they certainly have some lovely yoghurts that taste delicious with cereal or blueberries; I love yoghurt.

^^ Thanks for that ... It's good hearing so many positive stories about the benefits of soy yoghurt.

Has the OP had any luck finding where to buy it in Thailand?

Maybe I missed your reply ... any luck in finding what you were looking for?

^^ Thanks for that ... It's good hearing so many positive stories about the benefits of soy yoghurt.

Has the OP had any luck finding where to buy it in Thailand?

Maybe I missed your reply ... any luck in finding what you were looking for?

no no luck yet

"You " is not everyone, leave a bit of time for some of the non usual suspects here to give an opinion, please ?

pretty please ?

After four days and 63 posts, I was just trying to help you realize that you could have set up a factory and be producing by now if it were important to you.

If you're only after opinions you'll get those aplenty, it's hard facts that are thin on the ground when it's a topic few here have even considered before.

There you are exaggerating things

I can indeed live without hummus

Would be nice to have it

but no rush it's not like my chickpeas and sesame oil are going to go bad

pretty please ?

Would be nice to have it

Just curious do you spend a lot of time shopping for food ? For me i try to get all things from close by and if it isnt available close by i wont put it in my diet (unless i can freeze it or store it).

I do try to eat healthy (different kind of healthy then you).

pretty please ?

Would be nice to have it

Just curious do you spend a lot of time shopping for food ? For me i try to get all things from close by and if it isnt available close by i wont put it in my diet (unless i can freeze it or store it).

Shopping for organic food is a bit of a hassle yes.

Mainly because my main supply a cheap organic vegetarian place held by Buddhists is in Bangapi and I live in Prawet.

Also they tend to have very early and versatile opening hours and it's a small shop so it's a first to come first served basis.

They used to open from 6am to 9am then 11 to 3pm, and that used to kill me to have to get up at 4.30 am to go shopping (it takes an hour with traffic). Now they open at 7am (wow so late) so I "only" have to get up at 5.30, but sometimes like this week they go to a temple / protesting so they just close without warning which really pisses me off, but it's like a complex with several shops and a restaurant so most of times one of them is still open so I can get some of my supplies.

Also now they tell me in advance when they will have trips

Otherwise I go to Big C (small) organic veggie section in Onnut and buy organic white rice from Tesco

Just wondering if it would be possible to use kefir in soy milk and produce yohgurt thay way?

Would Kefir just produce sour milk ?

It is the bacteria that produces yogurt

Soy yogurt is made using soy milk, adding yogurt bacteria (Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus and Streptococcus salivarius subsp. thermophilus), sometimes adding sweeteners such as fructose, glucose, or sugar.[1]

[edit]Non-dairy requirements

It is suitable for vegans, ovo-vegetarians, for people with PKU or other dangerous diseases, and for those with lactose intolerance or milk allergy, as the bacteria for shop-bought soy yogurt are usually not grown on a dairy base.[citation needed]

Shopping for organic food is a bit of a hassle yes.

Mainly because my main supply a cheap organic vegetarian place held by Buddhists is in Bangapi and I live in Prawet.

Also they tend to have very early and versatile opening hours and it's a small shop so it's a first to come first served basis.

They used to open from 6am to 9am then 11 to 3pm, and that used to kill me to have to get up at 4.30 am to go shopping (it takes an hour with traffic). Now they open at 7am (wow so late) so I "only" have to get up at 5.30, but sometimes like this week they go to a temple / protesting so they just close without warning which really pisses me off, but it's like a complex with several shops and a restaurant so most of times one of them is still open so I can get some of my supplies.

Also now they tell me in advance when they will have trips

Otherwise I go to Big C (small) organic veggie section in Onnut and buy organic white rice from Tesco

Wow your a lot more dedicated then me. I just don't have the time (or will) for shopping that much and long. That is why i just take what is available and only go for extra's once in a while. I like the frozen berries (cranberries) at the Makro but i almost never go there.

We make Kefir almost on a daily basis with fresh dairymilk and is seems to be a lot better for you than plain yogurt.

We make Kefir almost on a daily basis with fresh dairymilk and is seems to be a lot better for you than plain yogurt.

I have no idea hos to make it with soy, please share

pretty please ?

Would be nice to have it

Now I'm really confused, I've been making hummus for 40 years and never heard of using yogurt.

Maybe you mean tzatziki (in Greek, Turks call it "cacik", similar to Indian raita)?

pretty please ?

Would be nice to have it

Now I'm really confused, I've been making hummus for 40 years and never heard of using yogurt.

Maybe you mean tzatziki (in Greek, Turks call it "cacik", similar to Indian raita)?

You are right the regular recipe doesn't use yogurt

I just found a lighter version on Elle http://www.elle.fr/ one day and have made that way ever since.

I have searched high and low in Bangkok for soy yoghurts and never succeeded. I have been in health food shops, super markets, fancy little food places but nothing has been found. :(

Last time I just got my friend to bring me some over when he was visiting me. :(

I have searched high and low in Bangkok for soy yoghurts and never succeeded. I have been in health food shops, super markets, fancy little food places but nothing has been found. sad.png

Last time I just got my friend to bring me some over when he was visiting me. sad.png

By the way have you ever seen any Gomasio in bbk ?

I have searched high and low in Bangkok for soy yoghurts and never succeeded. I have been in health food shops, super markets, fancy little food places but nothing has been found. sad.png

Yeah me to, have you tried the recipe given earlier in the thread? i'm going to during the week, will let u know what the outcome is.

pretty please ?

Would be nice to have it

Isnt that weird, Ive always assumed Hummus had yogart in it.

I have searched high and low in Bangkok for soy yoghurts and never succeeded. I have been in health food shops, super markets, fancy little food places but nothing has been found.

Last time I just got my friend to bring me some over when he was visiting me.

Sounds like a business opportunity to me!

I have searched high and low in Bangkok for soy yoghurts and never succeeded. I have been in health food shops, super markets, fancy little food places but nothing has been found.

BigJohnnyBKK ... must admit ... that thought crossed my mind also.

But I am wondering if it's more like the keen few rather the majority which would make it a viability business idea.

Maybe an opportunity for the OP to go into business and test the popularity of the product if she can't locate any in the existing retail market.

But I am wondering if it's more like the keen few rather the majority which would make it a viability business idea.

Maybe an opportunity for the OP to go into business and test the popularity of the product if she can't locate any in the existing retail market.

I think the OP shouldn't waste any time and risk losing ground (and market share) to competitors. She needs to go big and she needs to go fast, before the established food-stuff importers (see the huge potential) and move into the market.

I recommend some big-budget television advertising (with major celebrities), as well as sponsorship of some popular television programmes and product placement in all the major Thai soap series. I also suggest a billboard campaign (including some of the large boards by BKK airport) and, of course, a sales team (dressed as Soy beans) for door-to-door sales (and maybe some brand building dancing and singing in the supermarkets and shopping malls).

By the way (just checking) is importing food stuff from other countries good for the environment?

I think the OP shouldn't waste any time and risk losing ground (and market share) to competitors. She needs to go big and she needs to go fast, before the established food-stuff importers (see the huge potential) and move into the market.

I recommend some big-budget television advertising (with major celebrities), as well as sponsorship of some popular television programmes and product placement in all the major Thai soap series. I also suggest a billboard campaign (including some of the large boards by BKK airport) and, of course, a sales team (dressed as Soy beans) for door-to-door sales (and maybe some brand building dancing and singing in the supermarkets and shopping malls).

By the way (just checking) is importing food stuff from other countries good for the environment?

Good advice, Brit.

I would sponsor a major sporting event to get the brand established; it could be like the milk race of old.

SC

TV Cricket - the team with two yeasts