A Thread For Thai Residents Only........

theblether

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good post Blether! Some woman frog complained about me posting this week, thinking I was from Bali.

First I heard of it, but even if I was would it have made a difference? It actually was a pretty serious attack so I look forward to member's views on the subject.

He/She should just get back to work in the "White flag factory"

Q: How many gears in a French tank?

A: Six: five reverse and one forward, in case they are

attacked from behind.

• Like 2

I'm only going to post in here if we can have a sub-theme where a posters relevance is directly related to his join date or number of posts.

But some of us have been reincarnated on TV a number of times because of previous banishments.

And that's fair enough, if all we're talking about is tourist sghts and what to see, to be honest at that level we're all probably better off just buying a copy of Lonely Planet or similar!

But I'm refering to the "how things work" part, how do you open a bank account, get a tax ID, get a drivers license, buy property, find decent medical help, shop for specialty products, negotiate the immigration maze and so on.

All subjects that I never comment on because I don't have a clue.

Just sayin'

The answer to your questions Chiang mai is, do as most of the expats do "have the wife/partner/whatever do it for you".

Likewise, as has been said, the experience of a retiree in darkest ubon whose weekly high point is taking his dependents to big C in the hopes of finding bacon is hardly relevant to many.

Bacon? I like bacon.

And that's fair enough, if all we're talking about is tourist sghts and what to see, to be honest at that level we're all probably better off just buying a copy of Lonely Planet or similar!

But I'm refering to the "how things work" part, how do you open a bank account, get a tax ID, get a drivers license, buy property, find decent medical help, shop for specialty products, negotiate the immigration maze and so on.

Just sayin'

The answer to your questions Chiang mai is, do as most of the expats do "have the wife/partner/whatever do it for you".

You should try and read and understand the thread first, that way your comments will fit in better, if you were to do that you'll see that I'm not actually asking questions but instead making a point.

• Like 1

An old-timer’s perspective.

While it matters little where you live or for how long, having lived here myself for more than 35 years, it is fair to say my interests and personal take on things are seldom in sync with tourists and newbies.

I have firsthand experience of events and transitions that others, at best, may have read about. I resent those who assume they know more because they are new and younger and dismiss my knowledge out of hand. It doesn’t negate the need of newbies to sort out where they fit in or their need to find food, shelter, transportation or sex but it does mean those are not subjects of interest to me.

I speak Thai and don’t hangout in tourist areas so don’t encounter much of what the complainers complain about. Thai Visa is not a source of information for me but and entertainment venue and I find plenty to laugh at.

As long as one can present a well structured argument for what you believe without resorting to condemnations and personal insults then everyone gets a seat at the table. It is okay to have different experiences or insights and to share them. Just play nice and let the other guy have the right to disagree in an agreeable manner. And no, I do not make those judgements, the mods do.

Seems reasonable!

• Like 1

Blether wrote in part "Personally I only participate in threads I have knowledge about, I read plenty and don't comment, as I'm not that stupid as to comment on things I clearly know nothing or next to nothing about.

The flip side of that stupidity coin is thinking that only Thai residents know about all things Thai. I don't think so.

So let's all be nice and share what we know.....it makes the website stronger and more enjoyable for everyone."

I agree and try to follow however on occasions some insult from a <deleted> will get one in return!

• Like 1

Blether wrote in part "Personally I only participate in threads I have knowledge about, I read plenty and don't comment, as I'm not that stupid as to comment on things I clearly know nothing or next to nothing about.

The flip side of that stupidity coin is thinking that only Thai residents know about all things Thai. I don't think so.

So let's all be nice and share what we know.....it makes the website stronger and more enjoyable for everyone."

I agree and try to follow however on occasions some insult from a <deleted> will get one in return!

Think your wrong. BUT, who am l to talk biggrin.png . The only way to learn the Thai way of life is to live here. Forget the books. wai.gif

He's an example to us all, so he is. I am a little surprised that you allow dickheads to dictate your behaviour, though. We should emulate those we admire, and not those for whom we have contempt.

SC

EDIT: My apologies for posting in this thread. Perhaps one of you lifers could endorse it for me, as resident resident, so to speak

Edited by StreetCowboy

I'm only going to post in here if we can have a sub-theme where a posters relevance is directly related to his join date or number of posts.

But some of us have been reincarnated on TV a number of times because of previous banishments.

Prove it...

• Like 2

Prove it...

Oh the cruelty. biggrin.png I had a previous nick...circa 2003...but closed the mail account and couldn't remember the password or even my nick...hence me rejoining. And no I was never banned. coffee1.gif

Oh the cruelty. biggrin.png I had a previous nick...circa 2003...but closed the mail account and couldn't remember the password or even my nick...hence me rejoining. And no I was never banned. coffee1.gif

smokie36 ... didn't the same fate recently befall the MediumPacedBowler?

OH ... sorry ... I just re-read my opening line and thought that that posted was a reincarnation of a previous member ... my bad as we all know that's not allowed here.

What I was implying was that forgetting a Password does seem a little common.

You two are related are you ... whistling.gif

Blether wrote in part "Personally I only participate in threads I have knowledge about, I read plenty and don't comment, as I'm not that stupid as to comment on things I clearly know nothing or next to nothing about. The flip side of that stupidity coin is thinking that only Thai residents know about all things Thai. I don't think so. So let's all be nice and share what we know.....it makes the website stronger and more enjoyable for everyone." I agree and try to follow however on occasions some insult from a <deleted> will get one in return!
He's an example to us all, so he is. I am a little surprised that you allow dickheads to dictate your behaviour, though. We should emulate those we admire, and not those for whom we have contempt. SC EDIT: My apologies for posting in this thread. Perhaps one of you lifers could endorse it for me, as resident resident, so to speak

You are of course correct but unfortunately I am not as perfect as I tell my wife that I am. I usually say to her " There are only two perfect people in this world, you and me and I am not so sure about you". I will take onboard you good advice and try to bite my tongue and control my typing fingers but even in my younger day I was told I was too forthright. My late and good friend used to say to me " you don't call a spade a spade your call a spade an <deleted> shovel." But perhaps it is not to late to teach an old dog new tricks!

Blether wrote in part "Personally I only participate in threads I have knowledge about, I read plenty and don't comment, as I'm not that stupid as to comment on things I clearly know nothing or next to nothing about. The flip side of that stupidity coin is thinking that only Thai residents know about all things Thai. I don't think so. So let's all be nice and share what we know.....it makes the website stronger and more enjoyable for everyone." I agree and try to follow however on occasions some insult from a <deleted> will get one in return!
Think your wrong. BUT, who am l to talk biggrin.png . The only way to learn the Thai way of life is to live here. Forget the books. wai.gif

You are correct about life in Thailand but some subjects can also have good input from non residents. I first visited Thailand 38 years ago, and only became a full time resident about 12 years ago but still learning about "Miracle Thailand." whistling.gifsad.pngsmile.png

You are correct about life in Thailand but some subjects can also have good input from non residents. I first visited Thailand 38 years ago, and only became a full time resident about 12 years ago but still learning about "Miracle Thailand." whistling.gifsad.pngsmile.png

Noooooooooooo miracle, it just doesn't have big brother and red tape. Thar's it. The USA has absolutely anything you could ever want somewhere in the country BUT you must deal with big brother and his taxes etc. If l had the cash l would be in the Florida Keys, noooooooooo question. smile.png And l am not American. tongue.png

How sad to have a soul controlled by Geography.

Tai came from China the mongers from abroad Bhudism from Srijaya Sumatera Boxing from Khmer the skytrain from germany and most of the brains from USA

How sad to have a soul controlled by Geography.

Tai came from China the mongers from abroad Bhudism from Srijaya Sumatera Boxing from Khmer the skytrain from germany and most of the brains from USA

So the USA has a shortfall now then ??

If the best came here.....well, yeah that could be correct.

Fair point about the geography, we all drag some chains behind us according to where we were brought up, it seems to be the case though that some people want to cast a whole new set of chains for themselves in Thailand.

Are we all not transients in a foreign land?

Just asking, don't shout at me......

Fair point about the geography, we all drag some chains behind us according to where we were brought up, it seems to be the case though that some people want to cast a whole new set of chains for themselves in Thailand.

Are we all not transients in a foreign land?

Just asking, don't shout at me......

smokie36 ... didn't the same fate recently befall the MediumPacedBowler?

OH ... sorry ... I just re-read my opening line and thought that that posted was a reincarnation of a previous member ... my bad as we all know that's not allowed here.

What I was implying was that forgetting a Password does seem a little common.

You two are related are you ... whistling.gif

The irony is I left due to the chaotic nature of events on the forum then....mind that was the posters....laugh.png

Edited by smokie36

youve got me here,

i dont know were i fit in,??? i live in los, but i still go to the uk to work when i get offerd good jobs, im in scotland at the moment, im regesterd with the british tax office as living in thailand,,,,lol,,,

so youve got me can i post or not???

never mind i like reading all the posts of interest, and all the posts of men loosing there money to a girl they fell in love with after 6 hours, its grea, keep the posts coming boys i love a good laugh

jake

youve got me here,

i dont know were i fit in,??? i live in los, but i still go to the uk to work when i get offerd good jobs, im in scotland at the moment, im regesterd with the british tax office as living in thailand,,,,lol,,,

so youve got me can i post or not???

never mind i like reading all the posts of interest, and all the posts of men loosing there money to a girl they fell in love with after 6 hours, its grea, keep the posts coming boys i love a good laugh

jake

I'm a tax officer. How many days are you in Scotland for again? laugh.png

lol,,, dont go there, i was here for less then 90days last year so im just getting the ta back from last year,

but this year im going to be here for more then 90 days so im going to have to pay bloody tax, and when you think im paying over 100 pounds NI its a bloody joke, never mind ill fly back bussiness class and claim my flight back,,lol,

was ok when i was working in brazil/africa never paid tax,,

jake

Just sayin'

I'm non resident and have no inclination to become one just yet but just because I'm not an expat or resident doesnt make me non knowledgable about Thailand but if I do need to know something I know nothing about I'll ask.

Having been coming to Thailand for quiet a few years now on a regular basis sometimes for 3 weeks or 4, sometimes for 6 or more on at least 4 occasions a year I think I spend enough time in Thailand now to know my way around.

As for expats/residents whining on here about newbies and non residents posting on TV, were they NOT a newbie on TV and non resident once upon a time?. Did they not have to learn the way of the land?. A lot of resident/expat TV posters on here seem quite knowledgable and helpfull when posting but you get the few who IMO feel oh so superior to people who don't live here full time and seem to think they know it all, and you don't just get it on TV, I see and meet many times people I've just mentioned especially in Pattaya and I hope I never turn into one of them, a sad whining old whinge bag.

If any one fits the bill of a whining old winge bag and feels the need to attack me on an Internet forum then feel free, I really don't give a flying duck, vent away.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App