Donating Old Camera ....

luudee

I have an old Minolta 9xi film camera, with two lenses, flash and various other goodies.

There is practically zero commercial value on this thing, even though it cost a fortune when it first came out !

Anyway, does anybody still use film cameras ? Is there a good place to donate this for a good cause ?

Cheers,

rudi

If you have had the camera out in the tropics for a number of years you may find that the lens shows signs of fungal growth in it. I had a 15 year-old Pentax that I gave away, not much use to me and the lens' would have needed to be taken apart and cleaned to be of use to anybody else.

I would disagree the opinions above.

An orphanage would rather obtain a cheap cell phone with a built-in digicam and will be happy with it.

On the other hand, Minolta 9xi, along with its predecessors 8000i and 9000, is a great cam. Go Ken Rockwell's site and take a look what great shots he has made with obsolete cameras, including Minolta 8000.

AFAIK, Pattaya has no longer stores selling good film (like Fuji Velvia) nor labs who process it, a big obstacle.

Can you find someone who wants learn photography? This seems to be the best investment.

I would be happy to own it, but my old and bold F100 does everything I need.smile.png

Well i disagree with Bytebuster on that one, I think donating it to people in need would be a great gesture,

whether or not they preferred to use a telephone camera, i bet they would not refuse it.

I would say its better to give people in need, than to just give it away to anyone.

Yes, I did think about just going to the orphanage and dropping it of there. BUT, it

is a film camera, and I am afraid it will just go to waste there. Nobody will know

the true value of it.

I know there are some technical collages around Lam Chabang area, I wonder

if somebody has any more insights, if any of them have any photography

departments perhaps.

Or may be even any collages in Bangkok ? I do go there once in a while ...

Or if anybody wants to buy it directly from me, I will go with you to an

orphanage here and make you give them the money !

Thanks for all suggestions !

rudi

I think donating it to people in need would be a great gesture

If I was an orphanage manager I would not consider a great gesture if someone convinces me to purchase film (200 THB with processing) and prints (6...10 THB ea.)... [trollface]

A cheap cell phone with a built-in cam would cost as much as five rolls of film.

Edited by bytebuster