Thai Parties Trade Blame Over House Ruckus; 5 Democrat MPs Face Ethics Probe

webfact

Parties trade blame over House ruckus; 5 Democrat MPs face ethics probe

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The ruling Pheu Thai Party and the opposition Democrat Party are seeking action against MPs from their opposing camps for alleged violation of ethics codes following last week's commotion during a House of Representatives meeting.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said yesterday the party would on Friday request the Lower House's ethics committee, which is chaired by House Speaker Somsak Kiartsuranond, to investigate the five Democrat MPs he said committed "improper conduct" during the meetings last Thursday and Friday.

The spokesman said Democrat MPs Apichart Supapaeng, Pongvech Vejjajiva and Thani Thaugsuban manhandled the speaker when they tried to pull him out of his chairman's seat. He also accused Democrat MPs Rangsima Rodrassami and Warong Dejkitwikrom of improper conduct. Rangsima tried to remove the speaker's seat while Warong threw meeting documents at the speaker.

Prompong said if the House panel found the allegation to be convincing, it was likely to forward the matter to the Ombudsman's Office for impeachment of the Democrat MPs.

"This move is to protect the dignity of the Parliament," the spokesman said. He also called on Democrat and opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to apologise to the public and investigate the Democrat MPs.

"If he takes no action, it means he was behind all the incidents," the spokesman said. He called on Abhisit to resign to take responsibility for what happened.

Abhisit had said the Democrats resorted to the aggressive tactic after the speaker failed to heed protests by opposition MPs. He said the move was aimed at protecting the country's interest, as the government was pushing for a law that would absolve former premier Thaksin Shinawatra and others of their criminal offences.

Democrat MP Boonyod Sukthinthai yesterday said that in order to avoid allegations of double standards, Pheu Thai should also seek an investigation into Somsak's alleged violation of the ethics code in chairing the House meetings.

He said that if Pheu Thai MPs did not do so, the Democrats would seek such an investigation against the House Speaker, who is an MP from Pheu Thai.

Senior Democrat MP Ong-art Klampaiboon yesterday called on the Speaker to perform his duty straightforwardly and in accordance with the House meeting regulations in order to avoid a repeat of last week's commotion.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-05

Couple of familiar surnames in that list of 5. Nice to see the nepotism is alive and kicking in the Democarat camp. No doubt they are the best people for the job though.

ps- i have no idea if they are even related to their namesakes.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said yesterday the party would on Friday request the Lower House's ethics committee, which is chaired by House Speaker Somsak Kiartsuranond, to investigate the five Democrat MPs he said committed "improper conduct" during the meetings last Thursday and Friday.

Prompong said if the House panel found the allegation to be convincing, it was likely to forward the matter to the Ombudsman's Office for impeachment of the Democrat MPs.

The fox let loose in the coop.

Couple of familiar surnames in that list of 5. Nice to see the nepotism is alive and kicking in the Democarat camp. No doubt they are the best people for the job though.

Oh my god ...pot,kettle,black. And nepotism isn't healthy in the Government ranks. PM. National police chief. Bangkok police chief (on temp white wash leave) etc etc all Shinawatra's or married to the family. Also they are OPPOSITION MP's according to the government they do NOT have a job as such. Something that Abhisit is trying to change to make the opposition the OPPOSITION like other similar political systems (UK)

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by thaicbr

Yes, quite an astute observation smutcakes.

I guess this one's OK with you too?

"Suranand Vejjajiva, who served as a Prime Minister's Office minister in Thaksin Shinawatra's government, has started playing a prominent role in the Yingluck administration even though there are still a few months left before his five-year political ban expires."

Yep, let's keep it in the family.

Edited by ratcatcher

Today in my school, a grade 2 girl came running to me complaining that another student had used some bad words. I called the other girl over who said that the first girl had also said something mean. We talked it over, they apologised, shook hands, hugged, laughed about it and spent the rest of the days playing together as best friends again. Of course this situation is simplistic but if only these 'leaders' could show 1% of the maturity exhibited by these children, this country might have a chance to move on and sort this pathetic mess out.

.......and I thought the job of legislators was to legislate. .....perchance (heaven forbid!) to help regular Thai people.

Doesn't seem that the democratic opposition will let them.....................does it ??

Nepotism? They have elected positions not appointed ones lol

.......and I thought the job of legislators was to legislate. .....perchance (heaven forbid!) to help regular Thai people.

Doesn't seem that the democratic opposition will let them.....................does it ??

I see you missed the legislate for ordinary thais bit.

sent from my Wellcom A90+