Manchester United

redrus

James,Park was on to sell shirts to asia,a 5 30pm kick off beamed live to asia.

I think you are a bit off here Nev.

In terms of the kick off time, i don't think it was particularly good for Asia, unless you are an insomniac. Earlier kick-off games i would think have wider viewing across Asia.

Besides which, i don't think SAF has got to the position he has to be worrying about selling a few shirts, nor to allow having his team selection interfered with.

Some players might well be occasionally signed for dubious reasons, but i don't think they ever play for those reasons (unless the game is meaningless of course - last night's certainly wasn't).

Edited by rixalex

James,Park was on to sell shirts to asia,a 5 30pm kick off beamed live to asia.

I think you are a bit off here Nev.

In terms of the kick off time, i don't think it was particularly good for Asia, unless you are an insomniac. Earlier kick-off games i would think have wider viewing across Asia.

Besides which, i don't think SAF has got to the position he has to be worrying about selling a few shirts, nor to allow having his team selection interfered with.

Some players might well be occasionally signed for dubious reasons, but i don't think they ever play for those reasons (unless the game is meaningless of course - last night's certainly wasn't).

Fair enough mate i get your point,but playing 4 5 1 at home,rooney on his own up front was isolated.

Park is a defending midfielder good at marking a fullback,if you get what i mean,we needed obertan or dare i say nani to attack the fullback and give service to rooney.

Park is a defending midfielder good at marking a fullback,if you get what i mean,we needed obertan or dare i say nani to attack the fullback and give service to rooney.

Blimey mate, criticism doesn't come any harsher than "Nani would have done a better job". LOL

Seriously though, i know what you mean. Funny isn't it though - when Park was at Ajax i remember him for all those mazzy runs he made into the box that often ended in goals. Just a distant memory these days, although maybe that's not his fault.

I always feel very apprehensive when Fergie plays Rooney up front by himself. Surely he has seen that ploy fail many times.Rooney is at his best playing off a central striker. Park is a lightweigt in more ways than one although you must appreciate his enthusiasm but how many times did he simple get pushed,legally, off the ball. I would like to see Valencia, Rooney, Berbatov (or Owen) and Obertan start the big games and perservere with that combo. Fair play to Villa but I think Uniteds team selection did them a huge favour. A series of ,on paper , of easier EPL matches now to get a run going.

As a true fan of football, let me apologise to the UTD fans who expected a game last night. For Wolves to field a reserve team, although it gifted three points to you lot, has shamed the memory of Billy Wright, Peter Broadbent etc etc :)

As a true fan of football, let me apologise to the UTD fans who expected a game last night. For Wolves to field a reserve team, although it gifted three points to you lot, has shamed the memory of Billy Wright, Peter Broadbent etc etc :D

Yea it was a bit one-sided but in a way can't blame the manager considering even with a full strength team Wolves were unlikely to get anything besides more tired legs. We aren't the spurs :)

My dear chap. Wolves came very close to turning over Villa ( remember them ? ) and in the League Cup, were not disgraced against your good selves. After the Spurs game, morale would have been high and let's face it you didn't look that good, beating our reserves by three. But for a silly pen and a simple chance missed by a lad we re-called from Scunthorpe for the game ( yes scunthorpe ), it would have been close. :)

My dear chap. Wolves came very close to turning over Villa ( remember them ? ) and in the League Cup, were not disgraced against your good selves. After the Spurs game, morale would have been high and let's face it you didn't look that good, beating our reserves by three. But for a silly pen and a simple chance missed by a lad we re-called from Scunthorpe for the game ( yes scunthorpe ), it would have been close. :D

True enough, it should have been 5-0 :)

Its pretty pathetic that Mick McCarthy feels the need to rest 10 players.

I can understand the weekends game being the more winnable but Wolves had won their last 2 games and United had looked out of sorts with all their injuries.

You never know, a first choice Wolves might have grabbed a point.The team he fielded would have struggled to get a point against Macclesfield !

Whats this tiredness factor.....playing 2 games in a week.....I suppose giving those 10 a break frees them up for more boozing and shagging leading up to Xmas !

Its not so long ago over Xmas teams could play on Boxing Day,the following day,the following Saturday and New Years Day.....4 games in 8 days......nowadays players would have a nervous breakdown just thinking about that schedule !

But from a United point of view..."Well done,Mick and have a very Happy Xmas !"

I hope Wolves go down and they miss safety by one point. McCarthey can then justify his reasons for last night's debacle.

Ticket prices and travel costs of all those fans that went to this game should be refunded due to some law where you bought something that was different to what it said on the tin.

I hope Wolves fans try to get him sacked for showing utter contempt to ther club and those supporters who are competing at the top of the league, maybe Roy Keane was right after all!

I hope Wolves go down and they miss safety by one point. McCarthey can then justify his reasons for last night's debacle.

Ticket prices and travel costs of all those fans that went to this game should be refunded due to some law where you bought something that was different to what it said on the tin.

I hope Wolves fans try to get him sacked for showing utter contempt to ther club and those supporters who are competing at the top of the league, maybe Roy Keane was right after all!

It's disgracefull and Wolves should be fined by the FA for last night. They virtually said to Chelsea (and others in the pack), fekk you, we are giving United 3 points. I thought there was a rule about having to field your strongest squad ?

I was talking to some Saudi guys here this morning, they love the EPL and watch it all the time but didn't realise "we also suffered from corruption" !! Yes..... that is what they are thinking. Their perception is that United bribed Wolves with big bucks so they could get the 3 points. This could have a huge impact on the way the EPL is perceived abroad and I strongly feel that Wolves have brought the name of the game, into disrepute. If they don't want to play at this level, throw em in the second division.

It's disgracefull and Wolves should be fined by the FA for last night. They virtually said to Chelsea (and others in the pack), fekk you, we are giving United 3 points. I thought there was a rule about having to field your strongest squad ?

I was talking to some Saudi guys here this morning, they love the EPL and watch it all the time but didn't realise "we also suffered from corruption" !! Yes..... that is what they are thinking. Their perception is that United bribed Wolves with big bucks so they could get the 3 points. This could have a huge impact on the way the EPL is perceived abroad and I strongly feel that Wolves have brought the name of the game, into disrepute. If they don't want to play at this level, throw em in the second division.

Funny most whinging is coming from those other than Wolves supporters. You weren't complaining Mr. BJ when Arsenal fielded the youth team against you in the Carling Cup. :)

Managers are the ones paid to select the team and i don't think pleasing certain groups of people is high up on their list of priorities. They do what they think is right for their team, and they live and die by their decisions. If Wolves go on to get a good win at the weekend, Mc Carthey will feel his decision vindicated. If they lose, well then he'll bear the brunt. Either way, i don't think he'll worry too much about accusations of disrespect, no more than SAF worries when accused of the same thing following certain Cup games. More important things to worry about i would imagine...

I am sure Brian at the Crossbar will "understand" your comments :)

I do know that both Mouserless and myself had a score of 3 - 0 to Utd so I am pleased :D

BT :D

Funny most whinging is coming from those other than Wolves supporters. You weren't complaining Mr. BJ when Arsenal fielded the youth team against you in the Carling Cup. :)

Arseanal played the same team throughout, but not so long ago before the Champions League came into fruition the League Cup was deemed a important trophy to win, now due to managers playing weakened teams its just a bit of fun and something to keep Spurs fans happy, this kind of game throwing could lead to the League becoming similar if other clubs start to follow suit.

BJ is correct Wolves should be brought to tribunal for bringing the game into disrepute and deducted points as this will ruin football even further if it becomes common practice, as lower clubs do sometimes take points at Old Trafford thus it will affect what the league would look like points wise.

Managers are the ones paid to select the team and i don't think pleasing certain groups of people is high up on their list of priorities.

Such as Wolves supporters who took time off work and spent about 100 pound for a day out in Manchester, IMHO theyre far more important to Wolves then a untalented plastic paddy.

Managers are the ones paid to select the team and i don't think pleasing certain groups of people is high up on their list of priorities.

Such as Wolves supporters who took time off work and spent about 100 pound for a day out in Manchester, IMHO theyre far more important to Wolves then a untalented plastic paddy.

At least the Micky should do is offer them a free dinner like O'Neil did for all the fans that went to Russia was it last year and he did the same thing.

Perhaps some Irish Stew?

From the man himself...

Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Mick McCarthy defends his team selection for Manchester United game

Wolves boss not apologetic for wholesale changes...

After making 10 changes to his starting lineup for Tuesday night's 3-0 defeat to Manchester United, Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Mick McCarthy has defended his decision.

“We had a great result on Saturday [against Tottenham Hotspur],” McCarthy told Sky Sports News.

“I don’t think we can do two 9/10 performances back to back.”

To BBC Radio 5 Live, he added: “The team that started tonight are all first team players and they have performed as well as we did against Arsenal and Chelsea earlier in the season.”

McCarthy was honest that the forthcoming clash against Burnley was in his mind when making his selection.

He said: “At the end of the day it was my decision, the responsibility lies with me. I wasn’t prepared to get injuries before Sunday’s game.

I'm sure if those Wolves supporters you speak of feel agrieved and wish to complain they are capable of doing so themselves, without supporters of other clubs doing so on their behalf. Why do you feel it your job to speak for them?

At least the Micky should do is offer them a free dinner like O'Neil did for all the fans that went to Russia was it last year and he did the same thing.

Perhaps some Irish Stew?

From the man himself...

Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Mick McCarthy defends his team selection for Manchester United game

Wolves boss not apologetic for wholesale changes...

After making 10 changes to his starting lineup for Tuesday night's 3-0 defeat to Manchester United, Wolverhampton Wanderers manager Mick McCarthy has defended his decision.

“We had a great result on Saturday [against Tottenham Hotspur],” McCarthy told Sky Sports News.

“I don’t think we can do two 9/10 performances back to back.”

To BBC Radio 5 Live, he added: “The team that started tonight are all first team players and they have performed as well as we did against Arsenal and Chelsea earlier in the season.”

McCarthy was honest that the forthcoming clash against Burnley was in his mind when making his selection.

He said: “At the end of the day it was my decision, the responsibility lies with me. I wasn’t prepared to get injuries before Sunday’s game.

IMHO a good honest reply From Mick, as I said earlier even if Wolves HAD put out what some of you guys think would have been his strongest team they would in my opion still have been beaten 3 - 0 - Its all about opions if we were all right we would make a fortune and all be managers.

Wolves to stay up I hope. :)

You weren't complaining Mr. BJ when Arsenal fielded the youth team against you in the Carling Cup. :)

Hardly youthfull and not even in the same league as those fielded by Wolves last night jimmy. I beleive Wolves brought back someone on loan to Scunthorpe for Chris.t sake. This is the team Arsenal fielded against us and as whichschool said, the same team that got them to the Qtr's in the first place.

Lukasz Fabianski

Mikael Silvestre

Craig Eastmond

Alexandre Song

Armand Traore

Jack Wilshere

Emmanuel Eboue

Aaron Ramsey

Fran Merida

Carlos Vela

Tomas Rosicky

I do know that both Mouserless and myself had a score of 3 - 0 to Utd so I am pleased :D

I got max points also BigT but that ain't the point.

Mr Bo surely that is exactly the point. 3 of us ( at least + Mick) ) thought that Utd would win with "their strongest" team so as it is a long season he rested some regulars. Okay more than most think he should have - BUT they still lost and were not too embarassed by the resulting score. It was not like he got beaten 9 - 1 or something - and he also managed to let less regular players have a run out so they know what to expect when they are called on.

IMHO he was doing what a manager is supposed to do - Manage a team for a whole season - after all, as said before its HIS job on the line. :)

I'm sure if those Wolves supporters you speak of feel agrieved and wish to complain they are capable of doing so themselves, without supporters of other clubs doing so on their behalf. Why do you feel it your job to speak for them?

Because i dont think they can speak for themselves, so i feel its my job to speak for them. :)

I can also speak for you if you want as you possibly need a little help if you think this is an acceptable part of sport.

I hope the top teams plays a weakened team against Wolves relegation rivals towards the end of the season thus relegating them, be good to hear the plastic paddys response to it!

Edited by whichschool

It certainly sounded like there was a lot of whinging coming from the wolves supporters who were at the game last night, yeah, the one's who paid 42 pounds for a ticket plus travelling expenses.

Can you imagine the worlds worst moaner's reaction if Wolves had been playing Chelsea :D .

I can also speak for you if you want as you possibly need a little help if you think this is an acceptable part of sport.

Nah thanks.

Yeah, i think it's acceptable that the managers are the ones paid to decide on what team takes to the field, and i think they have no moral obligation to please anyone, least of all supporters of other clubs like you.

As BT3 rightly says, it's the manager's job to manage his team for the whole season, and at times that may mean not playing a full strength squad. It's their perogative, no ones elses. And if they get it wrong they get the sack. Pretty simple really.

Can you imagine the worlds worst moaner's reaction if Wolves had been playing Chelsea :) .

Absolutely. Could just imagine the RAGS moaning if Wolves played Chelsea at the end of the season and Chelsea needed the 3 points to win the League. With my best Kevin Keegan accent "I'd love it, love it" if that happened. :D

And it looks like the Premier League Board agree.

From skysports:-

McCarthy must explain team

Premier League wants answers over much-changed side

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy has been asked to explain why he made 10 changes to his side for the trip to Manchester United

McCarthy left out every outfield player on duty for the shock success over Tottenham on Saturday for the Premier League encounter at Old Trafford on Tuesday night and then watched his team lose 3-0.

Wolves fans vented their frustration during the game, although McCarthy defended his stance, claiming he was looking to avoid injuries after two fixtures in quick succession.

However, the Premier League has now got involved and wants to know McCarthy's version of events.

A statement issued by the Premier League read: "The Premier League Board have written to Wolverhampton Wanderers to request their observations in relation to the team fielded in their League fixture against Manchester United.

"Once the observations are received the Board will decide whether any further action is warranted."