Manchester United

redrus

Wayne Rooney faced an angry mob outside his home on Thursday night as enraged Manchester United fans reacted to the possibility of their star striker making a sensational move to arch-rivals Manchester City.

I wasn't really bothered about getting Rooney, cos I really don't want to put any money into the RAGS coffers but now it might be worth it, just to p1ss em off :lol:

Wayne Rooney faced an angry mob outside his home on Thursday night as enraged Manchester United fans reacted to the possibility of their star striker making a sensational move to arch-rivals Manchester City.

I wasn't really bothered about getting Rooney, cos I really don't want to put any money into the RAGS coffers but now it might be worth it, just to p1ss em off :lol:

Er, you can buy him now in January if you want.... :whistling:

redrus

Yep - confirmed on Beeb website.

I have some sympathy with his twisting and turning, having been through a messy relationship situation that I instigated many years back. It really does f$ck up your judgment.

Anyway great news for EPL and English football. Congratulations Reds fans - u can all breathe a sigh of relief

[Arsenal fan]

Nah thanks Red. at a bargain basement price, maybe. But wouldn't want to pay over that much for him. Seriously though, you must be chuffed?

Nah thanks Red. at a bargain basement price, maybe. But wouldn't want to pay over that much for him. Seriously though, you must be chuffed?

Not really mate, not with the way he's acted and touted himself about. It seems, I think, he's realised that the increase in wages from your lot would pale in comparison with the loss in sponsor revenue at the move....!

redrus

Faak me i go away to khon kaen for sanuk and go fishing and have been away from the net for two days and he signs a new contract,hopefully he can score 1 goal more than he did in the last 6 months :D

Not really mate, not with the way he's acted and touted himself about. It seems, I think, he's realised that the increase in wages from your lot would pale in comparison with the loss in sponsor revenue at the move....!

I think there is gonna be a big aftermath over this. He has obviously only stayed cos he got what he wanted in his wage demands. When all the rest of the players come to sign again, the will be demanding alot more as well and I don't think your owners have the money to do that.

I am chuffed if the rooney before march turns upbut if the rooney of the last 6 months turns up i am not.

Rooney news thrills ex-Reds-MUFC

Former United players give their reactions to the news that Wayne is staying:

Denis Irwin

I’m delighted. On Wednesday night when Wayne Rooney came out with his statement, I don't think there has ever been a bigger wedge between a player and the club. The club will have never wanted all of this to be so public but obviously they have all got together and found a new solution and a way forward. I’m delighted that he has signed a new contract because he is such an important player for the club, a player of his ability doesn’t come along that often so it’s a big day for United.

Clayton Blackmore

It is great news, I couldn’t believe it. We all thought the writing was on the wall and he was going to go. The way things have come out in the press you just couldn’t see him re-signing for United, I thought it was a done deal that he would be leaving, be it to Real Madrid, Man City or whoever. So it just shows how strong and powerful Sir Alex Ferguson really is by persuading him to stay at Old Trafford. This could work really well for us and Wayne could become an even better player.

Lou Macari

It’s fantastic news. First he was leaving and now he’s signing a new contract, I’m shocked. I just couldn’t believe the news today about what had happened. You can only take the view that the manager has taken on board the fact that Wayne had bad advice to make him do what he did and that Wayne has made a mistake or two. The fans now hold the key to how well Wayne does in the future. If they can forgive him and we get the Wayne from last season back, that will be brilliant.

redrus

THE GREATEST NUTMEG OF ALL TIME

Posted by Martin Palazzotto on October 23, 2010

Ronaldhino? Please. Lionel Messi? Cristiano Ronaldo? Forget it. Diego Maradona or maybe Pele? Rank amateurs. The biggest shuck and jive in the history of football was pulled off this week by a former vacuum cleaner salesman. Paul Stretford, Wayne Rooney’s agent, orchestrated a masterpiece of manipulation that had everyone on the opposition and millions of interested spectators all looking in the wrong direction, while the ball rolled lazily into a wide open goal.

By now, everyone has seen the replays. First, a little feint of the head, with Rooney telling the media, while on international duty, that he is perfectly healthy, has been all season and, by gosh, can’t imagine why Sir Alex Ferguson would say otherwise. Then, a slight dip of the shoulder, wherein rumours are strategically leaked, hinting that the young Scouser has rethought his lifetime commitment to United and may be looking to move elsewhere.

This is no lower league defender that Stretford is up against, however. Fergie is not the type to give an opponent time and space to operate, so he moves in to close the agent down. Making use of the scheduled Champions League manager’s press conference, the Great Red Proboscis commandeers the time for his own agenda. The very picture of confusion, disappointment and betrayal, the ManU boss reminds everyone of the video and medical evidence of Rooney’s injury and wonders, along with us all, why “The Player” would say such a thing?

That is the barometer for measuring Fergie’s current attitude towards a member of the United squad. When they have disappointed in some way, they are “The Player.” Conversely, when they have stood out or done everything within their power to further the United cause, even in defeat, they are “The Lad” or better, “The Boy.” Until this week, Rooney had always been “The Boy.”

Onlookers, meanwhile, weren’t completely sold that Rooney would leave Old Trafford but their attention was riveted.

With his opponent unmoved by a head shake or shoulder dip and the fans beginning to stir, Stretford didn’t panic and cough up the ball. Instead, he kicked on, with a jig of the hip and an impressively smooth step-over dribble. He had Rooney make his own statement to the press, in which the 24 year old confirmed his intent to depart, his motivation being the lack of player investment at Old Trafford and his lack of confidence in their ability to remain a serious contender for silverware.

With that move, all hel_l broke loose. Fergie was left in the dust and David Gill was forced to charge off his line. Simultaneously, other United defenders rushed to cover for Fergie. Steve Bruce, Jose Mourinho and, out of nowhere and under a full head of steam, Ian Holloway all claimed that the move simply made no sense. Debt or no debt, signings or no, United were, are and will remain the biggest club there is. Rooney was off his rocker. He’d never find a better situation than remaining under the Scot’s tutelage. Fergie tried to get back into the play by mentioning how many calls he gets, on a weekly basis, from the agents of players dying to put on the Red & Black shirt.

But Stretford wasn’t alone either. Nicolas Anelka popped up well out on the left, to say Rooney would be welcome at Chelsea. He was quickly taken out of the play by a vicious eyebrow from Carlo Ancelotti, however. The Chelsea boss, already challenged to meet UEFA’s looming financial regulations, let it be known that he believed the Scouser would have a change of heart and stay put.

Still, the United line was stretched thin when none other but their former captain and current Ipswich manager, Roy Keane, appeared on the other flank. Players are merely “pieces of meat” to their clubs, he said. Rooney shouldn’t worry about loyalties or past promises and “just look after number one.” It truly seemed as if the pooch was screwed.

Then, in the wee hours of Thursday morning, the fans charged onto the pitch. Perhaps inspired by the recent escapades of one Ivan Bogdanovich, the Serbian Ultra who led the charge at Genoa, and thinking to help their new captain, Nemanja Vidic, himself a Serb, a band of Mancunian hooligans, clad in black, faces covered by hoods and baclavas, appeared outside stately Wayne manor (apologies to Christian Bale). Shouting and taunting until the object of their wrath appeared at a window, the miscreants unfurled a banner which read “Join Man City And You’re Dead!”

All seemed lost at that point. Who, in their right minds would stick around after that? The For Sale sign would be out on the lawn in the morning and, come the New Year, Rooney would be off to parts unknown.

Wayne Rooney and Paul Stretford, however, are apparently not in their right minds, because, on Friday, the news broke that Roo had put pen to paper on a new five year deal with wages estimated to be in the neighbourhood of £180,000 per week. Nice neighbourhood that, but without having to actually pick up and move.

Obviously (now, anyway), this is what the pair had wanted all along. Rooney has been happy, for the most part, at Old Trafford but there was some doubt, with recent scandal and injury that he’d be able to pry Sheikh Mansour money out of the Family Glazer. His last offer from David Gill had been for only £150,000 and, with his personal reputation having taken some blows, United were in a strong bargaining position. Who could imagine the provincial minded Rooney leaving his cozy Old Trafford digs?

So, bold as he is, the agent went on the offensive rather than backing off and playing it safe. Drastic measures were required to realise the massive payday and commensurate fee accompanying, for which Stretford had been planning, and drastic measures were taken. A lie, so bold and incredible on its face that its impossibility actually lent it credence, was hatched and, to his credit, the boy that everyone thought of as a great footballer but a bit of a bumpkin, told it with a straight face.

It was an unbelievable spectacle to watch unfold and one can only imagine the desperate emotions running through both sides as it played out.

While MUFC would have carried on without Rooney, it would have been much more difficult in the short run and Ferguson’s time at the club is, as always, described in that manner. The betrayal, though it’s happened before, would have likely broken some part of Sir Alex’ spirit and one has to question whether his heart would have been in continuing after such a shock.

Rooney, for his part, never wanted to leave but had to be seduced by the thought of lesser lights making so much more than him with the upstarts in the blue section of the city. His pulse had to be racing at an incredible rate, all week, at the thought of what he’d have to do if his bluff was called.

Stretford was the only one without any sweat on his brow. Be it from United or elsewhere, the payday would come. All he had to do was manage his client and let the game play out. It truly was the greatest nutmeg of all time.

Here’s the thing about nutmegs, however. They’re showboating. The same result can usually be achieved with some patient, if hard work and without embarrassing powerful foes. That type of disrespect will always come back to haunt you. Even as Sir Alex put his arm around Rooney for the cameras, smiling and welcoming back “The Boy,” even as David Gill proudly told the cameras what a great day it was for the club, both men were carefully indexing and filing the events of the past week into their long and very efficient memories. Somewhere down the line both Rooney and Stretford will feel the consequences and when they do, likely wonder why.

That’s the beauty of karma; you don’t see it coming and it gets away clean every time.

redrus

Playing devil's advocate here, but could it be that utd still decide to sell him in Jan now the balls in their court, no reduced transfer fee and all it has cost them is 2 or 3 months extra wages ;) we all know that old red nose has a bit of Thai in him in that he doesn't like to lose face :D .

Edited by alfieconn

Playing devil's advocate here, but could it be that utd still decide to sell him in Jan now the balls in their court, no reduced transfer fee and all it has cost them is 2 or 3 months extra wages ;) we all know that old red nose has a bit of Thai in him in that he doesn't like to lose face :D .

Hey, get out of my head....!

Been thinking the same on the nail pal....., not daft ol SAF and that would please the fans too especially with Benzema saying he's staying puy, you know what that means.....!!!!!

redrus

Been thinking the same on the nail pal....., not daft ol SAF and that would please the fans too especially with Benzema saying he's staying puy, you know what that means.....!!!!!

That would be brilliant. Even I would tip my hat to ol red nose if that was his plan.

That would be brilliant. Even I would tip my hat to ol red nose if that was his plan.

Some hope! Let his his ankle be bothering him when they play us though.....or he's off playin' bingo with Scholes and Giggs....:whistling:

I think you are spot on here Alf. And hats off the Sir Alex if you are. ;)

Yep - confirmed on Beeb website.

I have some sympathy with his twisting and turning, having been through a messy relationship situation that I instigated many years back. It really does f$ck up your judgment.

Anyway great news for EPL and English football. Congratulations Reds fans - u can all breathe a sigh of relief

[Arsenal fan]

Cheers.

I think you are a very charitable man. Whilst i appreciate an opposing fan not seeing domestic strife at another club simply as an opportunity to stick the knife in, i have to say that i myself take a somewhat harder view on this all.

What has all this nonsense achieved for Rooney? Some people are saying that it provided the leverage for a better deal to be struck, but if that is true, (which i'm not sure of myself - the speed in which the contract was signed suggests to me that it was the same one they already had on the table) has a few extra thousand quid been worth it all? I think the bulk of a players earnings these days comes from sponsorship deals anyway, not from their club wages. And Rooney is already set up for life financially.

I think the only real thing that has been achieved is that Rooney has tainted his career at United. Sure, if he starts banging in the goals, and plays out the rest of his career at United whilst making all the right noises about what a great club it is, he'll go some way to putting this behind him, and there may be some forgiveness, but the bond of trust has irrevocably been damaged.

Some say United fans were crazy to have ever trusted him in the first place, and it turns out they were right of course, but i'm not sure before this weeks events, what Rooney had done to be labelled this way? I don't see how leaving Everton can be cited as a reason. Which player hasn't left their boyhood team - unless of course your boyhood team is of the best in Europe? Anyway, all by the by really.

As i concluded earlier, if there's one thing we learn from this is that we fans are the one consistent, ever-present. Everyone else is coming and going. Never forget that.

All I can say is that I feel like a bit of a brainless Chav for listening to all the garbage spouting out of the mouths of SAF and Wazza given how concerns over respect ambition finances ownership have dissipated within minutes in a sea of money and a marriage of convenience and mutual trust and admiration. Reminds me of the one about the Thai hooker and the pensioner.

Cheers.

I think you are a very charitable man. Whilst i appreciate an opposing fan not seeing domestic strife at another club simply as an opportunity to stick the knife in, i have to say that i myself take a somewhat harder view on this all.

What has all this nonsense achieved for Rooney?

not to ignore the rest of your post rix, i do like the irony of the situation which is surely not lost on rooney? he was complaining that the reason he wanted to leave was the club's lack of money to spend on top class players. his solution? sign a massive £65m contract at a club which clearly has financial troubles and puts himself on a gigantic salary with which prospective top class target signings will undoubtedly want parity / similarity. catch-22 from the chubby grannybanger.

Anyone in Samui for the game tonight, Chaweng....?

redrus

Try the Islander in Chaweng. I'd prefer The Hut on the Ghost road or could try Premier bar in Banrak I suppose. Sorry off the rock at the moment....

Cheers fella. Islander is closest.

Cheers.

What has all this nonsense achieved for Rooney?

not to ignore the rest of your post rix, i do like the irony of the situation which is surely not lost on rooney? he was complaining that the reason he wanted to leave was the club's lack of money to spend on top class players. his solution? sign a massive £65m contract at a club which clearly has financial troubles and puts himself on a gigantic salary with which prospective top class target signings will undoubtedly want parity / similarity. catch-22 from the chubby grannybanger.

Geting used to agreeing with you, sore feelin.... :whistling:

redrus

Todays team.

vds

neville rio vidic evra

oshea fletcher scholes nani

berrbatov hernandez

subs brown smalling ku'zak kiko obertan gibson.

Thought we had seen the last of neville,surely brown a better right back and oshea in midfield :D