Manchester United

redrus

^^ Bang Rak Bob was suggesting we were going to shut up shop, which I took as a reference to the Anfield game.

I would be surprised if we don't show more ambition than at Anfield. But I also expect us to keep it tight against probably the second best attacking team in the PL, then hit them on the break. With us it usually depends if we score early.

Just got a feeling / hope Alexis may rise to the occasion. Lukaku has been playing well too. Just the centre of defence I'm worried about. 

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

BB I made it quite clear a long while back why knowledgeable Man U supporters dont bother with this forum any more .It got to a stage where ridicule, constant sniping and verbal abuse especially from one neanderthal,who still continues on other threads, just got to the stage where most posters found they had more important things to do.Most comments had zero to do about football.It was not banter ,banter is about humour ,a lost art it seems

And you conviently forget sending a   P.M  to   E/S  , that i am  # Done Like a Dinner #  where,s your so called  humour banter ,????  await your reply

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I disagree. With you and anyone else who goes along with this lazy media narrative.

'Parking the bus' is a saying which has been popularised and completely distorted from what it originally meant. It used to be the phrase which was used when smaller teams would set up with 2 banks of four at the edge of their area, and just prepared to get battered while showing no ambition and hoping to survive by sheer numbers..... soaking up pressure and hitting teams on the counter attack is not 'parking the bus'! 

And if you want to argue we parked the bus at Anfield, that's fine. But to say we play like that home and away is plain wrong. We play different ways, against different teams. And one of Mourinho's strengths is he is able to adapt tactics to nullify the opposition, and train he players to think tactically like this too.

We all know this isn't 'Fergie football' any more, but just cos a team doesn't play a 'tiki-taka' possession game, or goes gung ho attack - that doesn't mean they are 'parking the bus'

You're a Liverpool fan, and you must be pretty excited watching your team, as they play exciting football. That's fine. But at the moment Klopp's brand of football isn't proven to bring success in the PL. Mourinho's pragmatic style is. 

However you want to label it is fine, but I will bet that Mourinho sets up defensively and will wait to capitalize on a mistake on the counter. It's not exactly going after teams, it is a defense based strategy and his record against strong opposition is riddled with draws. 

Mourinho's style hasn't really proved it with United yet. Klopp's "brand of football" is not the finished product yet. He has been slowly and patiently building a club and squad to where he wants it to be, he didn't come in and spend billions, he's methodically developing this team and each year it is getting better, and it will get better again next season. And anyone that brings up defending has not played close enough attention of late. 

Anyway, I'd like to hope it's an entertaining match, not ruined by the ref, which it is more likely than not that it will, that carrot Craig Pawson has the whistle. Why such a high profile game doesn't get a top ref is beyond me. 

there was a point this season were MC could have easily dropped 6 points but they didn't through luck or whatever you want to call it, once the gap enlarged there was no stopping and the best team have prevailed without a doubt

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

However you want to label it is fine, but I will bet that Mourinho sets up defensively and will wait to capitalize on a mistake on the counter. It's not exactly going after teams, it is a defense based strategy and his record against strong opposition is riddled with draws. 

Mourinho's style hasn't really proved it with United yet. Klopp's "brand of football" is not the finished product yet. He has been slowly and patiently building a club and squad to where he wants it to be, he didn't come in and spend billions, he's methodically developing this team and each year it is getting better, and it will get better again next season. And anyone that brings up defending has not played close enough attention of late. 

Anyway, I'd like to hope it's an entertaining match, not ruined by the ref, which it is more likely than not that it will, that carrot Craig Pawson has the whistle. Why such a high profile game doesn't get a top ref is beyond me. 

I am a big boxing fan and some of my favourite and the best boxers of all time have waited for the right moment and capitalised on mistakes. Throwing more punches doesn't make you a better boxer. And let's remember - you can still score fantastic goals playing counter attack (as we have), and just because a team plays a possession / attacking game that doesn't equal good goals / better football.

Liverpool's style of football is great but I honestly don't think you can win the league with it mate. It isn't just leaving yourself exposed at the back that all the high pressing does. Frantic pressing throughout the game can knacker you out towards the end of the season. But we will see.....

Agree it needs a good referee, but I can't really see how anything will kick off between these 2 sides - is there really the characters for aggro? If something does happen I have the feeling it will involve Ashley Young. 

57 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I am a big boxing fan and some of my favourite and the best boxers of all time have waited for the right moment and capitalised on mistakes. Throwing more punches doesn't make you a better boxer. And let's remember - you can still score fantastic goals playing counter attack (as we have), and just because a team plays a possession / attacking game that doesn't equal good goals / better football.

Liverpool's style of football is great but I honestly don't think you can win the league with it mate. It isn't just leaving yourself exposed at the back that all the high pressing does. Frantic pressing throughout the game can knacker you out towards the end of the season. But we will see.....

Agree it needs a good referee, but I can't really see how anything will kick off between these 2 sides - is there really the characters for aggro? If something does happen I have the feeling it will involve Ashley Young. 

Can't argue with your first analogy, but your interpretation of Liverpool's style is 2016/17.

We don't play like that all the time now, we vary formations, we press in spells and sometimes we stand off, we can go very direct over the top. We methodically breakdown teams that do sit back, lower half teams that we couldn't beat last season.

We have zero injuries and every one is fresh from the rotation of the squad throughout the winter, no one is knackered.

We've had one goal scored against us in the last 5 matches. 

Yeah cannot imagine too much needle, TAA might throw in a decent tackle on Young though sure, although I expect Gomez might start. 

• Like 1

I'm starting to think 3 at the back with the wing backs pushing on may be a good idea for this game, with one to man mark Salah. So assuming Bailly is fit, my team would be:

De Gea

Bailly Smalling Lindeloff

Valencia                                 Young

Matic

Pogba

Alexis         Lukaku             Martial 

5 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'm starting to think 3 at the back with the wing backs pushing on may be a good idea for this game, with one to man mark Salah. So assuming Bailly is fit, my team would be:

De Gea

Bailly Smalling Lindeloff

Valencia                                 Young

Matic

Pogba

Alexis         Lukaku             Martial 

Your megastar Alexis won't be pleased.

32 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

^^Why's that then? He says he is comfortable playing anywhere across the front....

Despite his comments, everybody knows he prefers to be where he can get on his right foot.

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Very good - but the real <deleted> will be the scousers doing the aeroplane motions in the crowd tomorrow, as usual. 

Come on Rick it's only a bit a fun, and yes there maybe a small group of idiots that have no respect, but you can't say it's any different when your lot are quiet vocal about murderers and victims at Anfield and most likely tomorrow.

Let's stick to footy. 

Sanchez is on course to be a djemba djemba. He only moved as he hated being at arsenal and the amount of possession he conceded at palace indicates he is not in a good state mentally to mirror his previous exploits. 

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Sanchez is on course to be a djemba djemba. He only moved as he hated being at arsenal and the amount of possession he conceded at palace indicates he is not in a good state mentally to mirror his previous exploits. 

I'm concerned this might be the match where he wakes up from drowning in cash. 

10 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

I am in agreement with that and even being a Man U supporter for over 60 years, I really don't think he's a good fit.

I absolutely agree with your comment about conceding possession as he does it far too often for my liking.

There is another possible explanation for his very average performances, inasmuch as Mou is known to be a stickler for each player playing exactly how he wants them to, whether or not it suits their style and I also think that's probably some of the reason why Pogba seems out of sorts at the moment.

I have a friend here who is a Liverpool supporter and we talk about football quite often as I played at a fairly good level for some time, I enjoy the game, enjoy the skills and the players, and don't see fit to attack other teams or supporters in any way, shape or form.

The point I'm trying to make is that this friend has said he doesn't believe that Mou is a good fit at Man U and despite the 2 teams being rivals, he has the greatest respect for Sir Alex Ferguson.

IMO Mou is not the best fit for United and hopefully within the next year or two he will go and we can seek out a manager which suits our style, rather than getting a manager whose sole objective is to mould a team into his style, whether he has the players or not.

Edited by xylophone
  • Like 1

^^ Are we sure we want to be comparing one of the best forwards in the PL in recent time with a failed defensive midfielder?

He might not of played to his best since he joined, but there have been moments (a jink past a couple of players, defence splitting pass, or a quick turn) when he has produced what nobody else in the United side, or probably on the pitch is capable of.

It's probably nice for him that he doesn't always have to be the talisman, as he was at Arsenal, now he has better players around him. He obviously needs to step up a little, but Djemba-Djemba?!?!

""Not really a must win this match for either side".

Huh? ManU fans on here have been telling me for years that it's their real derby match - more than the Manchester derby - stupid talk in my opinion. So they should be going all out to win their derby match.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Huh? ManU fans on here have been telling me for years that it's their real derby match - more than the Manchester derby - stupid talk in my opinion. So they should be going all out to win their derby match.

It's not like either side couldn't afford to draw or lose and still make the Champions League, so no, it isn't a must win.

But yes, it will always be bigger than United vs City for us. It is two big clubs with massive legacies and a historical / cultural rivalry playing each other. 

17 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Obviously nothing would be more satisfying than beating Mourinho's United at OT, but I meant in the context of points and Top 4. 

Beating Everton means everything, that is the derby. 

Edited by BangrakBob

24 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I am in agreement with that and even being a Man U supporter for over 60 years, I really don't think he's a good fit.

I absolutely agree with your comment about conceding possession as he does it far too often for my liking.

There is another possible explanation for his very average performances, inasmuch as Mou is known to be a stickler for each player playing exactly how he wants them to, whether or not it suits their style and I also think that's probably some of the reason why Pogba seems out of sorts at the moment.

I have a friend here who is a Liverpool supporter and we talk about football quite often as I played at a fairly good level for some time, I enjoy the game, enjoy the skills and the players, and don't see fit to attack other teams or supporters in any way, shape or form.

The point I'm trying to make is that this friend has said he doesn't believe that Mou is a good fit at Man U and despite the 2 teams being rivals, he has the greatest respect for Sir Alex Ferguson.

IMO Mou is not the best fit for United and hopefully within the next year or two he will go and we can seek out a manager which suits our style, rather than getting a manager whose sole objective is to mould a team into his style, whether he has the players or not.

I agree, I don't think Mourinho fits with the clubs tradition, culture or style of play, but the yanks look at him as manager who can bring silverware the context they are won in doesn't matter, it's the revenue statement.

5 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

I agree, I don't think Mourinho fits with the clubs tradition, culture or style of play, but the yanks look at him as manager who can bring silverware the context they are won in doesn't matter, it's the revenue statement.

Good point, but wonder which silverware he''ll be bringing home this time????? FA Cup perhaps, but IMO thats it.

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Good point, but wonder which silverware he''ll be bringing home this time????? FA Cup perhaps, but IMO thats it.

He has habit of doing it, I wouldn't bet against it United winning the FA Cup.

United are meant to be not playing well but 62 points from 29 matches is a top return. 

"But yes, it will always be bigger than United vs City for us" - spoken like a true mancunian, NOT!

I wonder where and when this idea that Liverpool vs ManU is bigger than Man City vs ManU came from? Anyway i must tell my 88 yr old mancunian dad, whose been following City all his life, about this and give him a good laugh - I'm sure he's lived his life ignorant of this.

I'll grant you there have been periods of time when the Liverpool vs ManU game was bigger in uk football than City vs ManU but it hasn't always been and it won't always be. Liverpool haven't always been a top of the table team (i.e. prior to Shankley) have they.

Anyway come on the scousers in ManU's biggest derby ;-)

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"But yes, it will always be bigger than United vs City for us" - spoken like a true mancunian, NOT!

I wonder where and when this idea that Liverpool vs ManU is bigger than Man City vs ManU came from? Anyway i must tell my 88 yr old mancunian dad, whose been following City all his life, about this and give him a good laugh - I'm sure he's lived his life ignorant of this.

I'll grant you there have been periods of time when the Liverpool vs ManU game was bigger in uk football than City vs ManU but it hasn't always been and it won't always be. Liverpool haven't always been a top of the table team (i.e. prior to Shankley) have they.

Anyway come on the scousers in ManU's biggest derby ;-)

Come back when you've dominated English football for a period of 10+ years.