Manchester United

redrus

OWEN: REDS CAN REIGNITE MY CAREER

Michael Owen spoke to MUTV ten minutes after signing for United. Here's a transcript of his first exclusive interview with Mandy Henry...

How does it feel to have signed for Manchester United?

It feels great. I never even had it in my wildest dreams really but then I got the call from the manager (Sir Alex) to come and meet him. It was a shock but I’m obviously really happy and things have moved quickly since then.

Players probably don’t need much persuasion to move to a club like United but what did the manager have to say to you?

We just discussed football really and the pros and cons of signing myself. Thankfully there were more pros than cons. From my point of view, I just wanted to talk about football so we left David Gill and my agent to talk about the rest. Then it was a case of show me the paperwork and where I have to sign. I’m delighted to have signed.

I presume at the end of last season you didn’t think you’d be playing for Manchester United this season?

No, I probably had a poor spell up at Newcastle but prior to that, my career was very good and I’m sure a top club like this can reignite my career. Hopefully I can score a few goals and help the team to more success.

redrus

United close on French starlet

July 06, 2009

BORDEAUX president Jean-Louis Triaud believes there is a "great possibility" United will sign Gabriel Obertan.

The young winger is regarded as one of France's brightest prospects and Chelsea have been monitoring him since 2007.

United, Inter Milan, AC Milan and Arsenal have all been linked with Obertan too and Triaud believes the Barclays Premier League champions will win the battle for the 20-year-old's signature.

"It's actually a great possibility," he told L'Equipe. "United want him and we would be delighted to see Gabriel develop in such a club.

"We will make it official when the moment comes."

Obertan, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Lorient, is a regular in the France Under-21 side and scored against England U21 in March.

He was awarded the Most Valuable Player award at last month's Toulon International Youth Tournament.

Ronaldo pays Fergie tribute

Real Madrid ace will always hold manager in high regard-Sky Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo has admitted he will never forget what Sir Alex Ferguson did for his career.

The Portuguese forward will be officially presented as a Real Madrid player on Monday after Manchester United accepted a staggering offer of £80million for his services.

Ferguson paid £12.24million to bring Ronaldo to Old Trafford when he was still just a promising teenager in 2003.

He has developed into one of the world's finest players over the past six years and acknowledges that Ferguson deserves much of the credit.

"He's been my father in sport, one of the most important factors and most influential in my career," Ronaldo said in an interview with Spanish newspaper Marca.

Special

"I have to thank him for all that he taught me. He's been fundamental. I'll always have great affection for him and he will occupy a special place in my heart.

"I'll also keep a very special memory of (United chief executive) David Gill and all the directors at United."

Ronaldo, who is set to travel to Manchester in the coming days to say his farewells to Ferguson in person, also thanked the United fans for their support.

He added: "It was my home. I played there six seasons and I was always well liked by the United fans.

"We won many things together. They always sang my song in the stands and I have to thank them for the affection they showed me during all the time that I played at Old Trafford. The fans of Manchester (United) are special."

redrus

* reason for edit........... To snigger.

Edited by redrus

United keeper signs extension to 2013

This has just been released from manutd.com:

The United goalkeeper, who joined the Reds back in the summer of 2005, said he was glad to commit himself to Old Trafford for a further four years.

"I'm really happy to commit my future to the club, the team spirit here is fantastic and working along side Edwin and Tomasz has been a great influence on my career."

Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson added: "We are delighted that Ben has signed a new four-year deal.

"Ben is seen as one of the best young goalkeepers in England and we genuinely see him as a successor to Edwin Van Der Sar."

Obertan Has United Medical

Tuesday, 7th July 2009

If that horrible Welsh dwarf Owen can pass it, who can't?

Sky Sports reports:

Gabriel Obertan is undergoing a medical ahead of his expected transfer to Manchester United from Bordeaux. Reports in France suggest that the 20-year-old is close to completing his £3million move shortly with a four-year contract thought to have been agreed.

The France Under-21 international is said to have attracted interest from the likes of AC Milan, Inter and Arsenal but it seems the player is now destined for Old Trafford.

The winger struggled for form last season at Bordeaux with manager and former Red Devils defender Laurent Blanc sending him out on loan to fellow Ligue 1 side Lorient for the second half of last term.

Blanc said of Obertan "Manchester United have been tracking him for a long time. They certainly hope to advance him, something that Bordeaux and Lorient have failed to do. He has the potential, but he must overcome psychological and mental challenges so he can express his true value."

United Hunt Klaas

Tuesday, 7th July 2009

Fergie preparing bid for Dutchman

According to today's Sun, the Manchester United boss is preparing a £20m swoop for the ex-Ajax star:

Huntelaar, 25, has struggled to make an impact in Spain after scoring 113 goals in 136 games in Holland and he failed to make Real's Champions League squad.

And he has fallen further down the pecking order following the arrivals of Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Karim Benzema.

Now Fergie, is ready to make a new bid to land him after losing out on Benzema.

An Old Trafford source said: "Huntelaar is somebody we have known about for a good while. There was more than a passing interest last time out."

redrus

Obertan To Sign Today.

Wednesday, 8th July 2009

The Times report:

Manchester United will announce the signing of Gabriel Obertan from Bordeaux for £3 million today.

Obertan, 20, will put pen to paper on a four-year contract after undergoing a medical yesterday with a view to becoming United's third signing of the summer, following Antonio Valencia, another winger, recruited from Wigan Athletic for £15.25 million, and Michael Owen, a free transfer from Newcastle United.

Although Ferguson could yet make a foray into the transfer market for a big-money signing — rumours persist that the United manager may attempt to hijack Manchester City's bid to lure Samuel Eto'o, the Barcelona striker — his manoeuvrings so far have come as a shock to those supporters expecting big things in the aftermath of Cristiano Ronaldo's world-record move to Real Madrid and the departure of Carlos Tévez.

redrus

News from Planet Kleberson.....

Kleberson bemoans United failure

Brazil ace believes he could have been a hit;

Brazil international Kleberson believes with a bit more luck he could have been a success at Manchester United.

The Brazil international was snapped up by Sir Alex Ferguson at the same time as Cristiano Ronaldo in 2003, although the duo enjoyed vastly different levels of success at Old Trafford.

While Ronaldo swiftly became a fans' favourite Kleberson dislocated his shoulder in just his second outing against Southampton and eventually fell out of favour in his second season.

While Kleberson has won 30 caps for Brazil after joining Flamengo following a two-year spell with Besiktas, Ronaldo has just become the world's most expensive player following his 80million switch to Real Madrid.

No guarantees

Kleberson is sad his Premier League stint was deemed a failure, insisting not everyone who arrives at the 'Theatre of Dreams' is guaranteed success.

"I arrived in Manchester, along with Ronaldo, with a lot of hope but left with huge sadness," he explained.

"An injury in only my second league match proved a very negative factor and in my second season I wasn't given many chances.

"I believe I could have been a bigger success in English football. But not everyone is guaranteed success at United."

redrus

Edited by redrus

Huntelaar race opening up

July 08, 2009-MEN

AC Milan have pulled out of the race to sign Real Madrid striker and reported United target Klaas-Jan Huntelaar.

The Rossoneri revealed earlier this week that offers had been made for both Huntelaar and Sevilla forward Luis Fabiano, both of whom have also been linked with the Reds.

However, Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani has now confirmed the club have ducked out of the race to sign Dutchman Huntelaar, who is deemed surplus to requirements at the Bernabeu following the arrivals of Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema.

"At this point there is only one negotiation standing, and that is Luis Fabiano," Galliani told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "Our coach (Leonardo) prefers Luis Fabiano to Huntelaar."

redrus

Where does Cristiano Ronaldo rank in the list of Manchester United legends?

By Ollie Irish- Who ate all the pies

Few objective fans could deny that Cristiano Ronaldo is one of Man Utd's all-time great players.

post-16343-1247058394_thumb.jpg

"Who are these old men?"

But where exactly does the departed C-Ron rank in United's hall of fame, alongside legends like George Best, Bobby Charlton, Duncan Edwards, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Bryan Robson, Peter Schmeichel, Denis Law, Ryan Giggs, Nobby Stiles, Paddy Crerand et al?

Let's say United's top five all-time legends looks something like this:

1. George Best

2. Bobby Charlton

3. Eric Cantona

4. Duncan Edwards

5. Roy Keane

Did Ronaldo do enough in his time at Old Trafford to crack that mighty top five? Would you go as far as putting him at No.1 (some fans would)? Or is he not even a legend, simply because of the way he conducted himself off the pitch?

Let's have it...

In my eyes no-where near........

1. Best

2. Eric

3. Law

4. Edwards

5. Keane

redrus

08/07/2009 14:00, Report by Ben Hibbs

Reds sign French starlet

Sir Alex Ferguson has made Bordeaux's Gabriel Obertan United's third signing of the summer, after the promising young Frenchman signed a four-year deal at Old Trafford.

The 20-year-old's contract keeps him at Old Trafford until at least June 2013, and Sir Alex revealed Obertan, who can play in a variety of attacking positions, is a player whose progress he has followed for some time.

"Gabriel is a player we have tracked for a few years now, but because of his educational programme our efforts to get him here have always been delayed," the Reds boss told ManUtd.com.

"We are delighted to get him now as he is an exciting prospect. We like to get young players and develop them, and we will see that in Gabriel over the next two years."

Gabriel admits he jumped at the chance to join the Barclays Premier League champions.

“I am very happy to join Manchester United," he told us. "This is a big opportunity for me to play at such a great club. I am very excited to be here and I look forward to proving what I can do."

However, the club has confirmed that due to a slight injury which needs attention, Gabriel will not travel on the pre-season tour.

Can you tell I'm not at work..................... :)

redrus

Actually redrus, no i can't. Spending too much time on Thaivisa is usually a sign of people being at work! :D

As for the latest signings, will have to see how they pan out i guess but nothing as yet to set the heart racing.

ronaldo takes the penalties and all the free kicks of coure valencia will not be soi no way he will replace ronaldos goals if he can chip in with 8-10 and supply berbatov with assists it up to berbatov and rooney to score more that i can see happening with ronaldo gone.

dont bet against us i think we will be in with a shout again this year,europe we are to weak.

I won't bet against you, but i think Stevies Post a couple up that quoted me, is bang on..

How many Free Kicks did Ronaldo score last Year, anyone know ??

singhy sorry about late reply.

ronaldo scored 5 from frre kicks last season and 2 was against stoke at home,

and 5 penalties.

that is 10 goals notscored in open play he scored 16 in open play.

rooney scored 20 and he took corners played out of position did more tracking back because of ronaldos not wanting to,remember the villa game when barry took the ball off him he stood there with his hands on hips looking at the sky and 5 seconds late villa had scored, now if he had tracked back he could of won the ball and put preasure on barry, but barry had all the time in the worldt to pick his pass,now rooney different when he looswes the ball he will try what ever means to get it back.

i reckon rooney will score close to 30 goals this year if he plays in his natural position.

now we only scored 5 free kicks in 60 od games 2 of those in one game and a deflected one against city! i am sure we will score more now we will spread around between 4 or 5 players rather than always ronaldo who became predictable!

looking forward to this season not saying we will win the league but i can see us not being as predictable as we where becomming.

Actually redrus, no i can't. Spending too much time on Thaivisa is usually a sign of people being at work! :D

As for the latest signings, will have to see how they pan out i guess but nothing as yet to set the heart racing.

That'll do for me then mate, we're usually are at our sumptuous best right when people think we've lost it or, when we've sold out apparent best players....! :D

redrus

Where does Cristiano Ronaldo rank in the list of Manchester United legends?

By Ollie Irish- Who ate all the pies

Few objective fans could deny that Cristiano Ronaldo is one of Man Utd's all-time great players.

post-16343-1247058394_thumb.jpg

"Who are these old men?"

But where exactly does the departed C-Ron rank in United's hall of fame, alongside legends like George Best, Bobby Charlton, Duncan Edwards, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Bryan Robson, Peter Schmeichel, Denis Law, Ryan Giggs, Nobby Stiles, Paddy Crerand et al?

Let's say United's top five all-time legends looks something like this:

1. George Best

2. Bobby Charlton

3. Eric Cantona

4. Duncan Edwards

5. Roy Keane

Did Ronaldo do enough in his time at Old Trafford to crack that mighty top five? Would you go as far as putting him at No.1 (some fans would)? Or is he not even a legend, simply because of the way he conducted himself off the pitch?

Let's have it...

In my eyes no-where near........

1. Best

2. Eric

3. Law

4. Edwards

5. Keane

redrus

mate i would not have best in my list great player but a legend if he did not mess up his career maybe.

my list.

edwards

charlton

law

cantona

keane/robson.

giggs

i know more than 5 but they all come before ronaldo.

nev

mate i would not have best in my list great player but a legend if he did not mess up his career maybe.

my list.

edwards

charlton

law

cantona

keane/robson.

giggs

i know more than 5 but they all come before ronaldo.

Best is a legend and a great player even better had he not lost it no doubt but, we can all argue 1 to 5 or 1 to 10 till we're 'red' in the face my point was that Ronaldo, if I'm really honest, doesn't even come in my top 10.....! :)

redrus

true the over rated step over <deleted> would not make my top ten either.

but saying that thanks ronaldo for 6 great years service time for him to move on and united to move on too!!

^ Agree again nev.

OK, I was convinced that with Owen, Valencia and Obertan signed we're done with strengthening the attacking department. The papers do not think so: rumours regarding Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Samuel Eto'o just won't go away.

About Real Madrid's Dutchman: AC Milan declared they were not interested in him anymore as they are negotiating only with Luis Fabiano of Sevilla, another player who was linked to United. Spanish papers believe this opens the door to United who are still interested in the forward. He's not my cup of tea so I hope these rumours prove unfounded.

The Eto'o thing is very hard to believe: some of the more obscure Spanish sites and papers circulate that he's about to join United very soon after turning down offers from his current club Barcelona and City. According to these not very credible sources (like terra.es) he's set his heart on a 25m move to Manchester United.

Well, there you go (another), rumour round-up of the day. Personally I still believe we won't sign more strikers but then I was convinced we would never go for Michael Owen so my opinion is irrelevant. We'll see what happens but I won't hold my breath.

Vital.com

redrus

A bit more on our new signing Gabriel Obertan, I'll post the link so you can read yourselves and, please take a look at the You Tube link, I have seen some of the play but am impressed,.....

LINK

redrus

yes red i saw some footage on utube he looks good can use both feet puts in a good cross can take a man on,too much step overs,but i am sure fergie will sort him out.

for 3 mil a good investment for the future!

but saying that thanks ronaldo for 6 great years service time for him to move on and united to move on too!!

:)

there is some first rate revisionism going on from united fans this summer.

probably no more than when Owen left you guys for Madrid as well.

not at all. owen was unpopular with fans for running his contract down, talking shit about signing a new one and then leaving for far less than he was worth. nobody said 'well he wasn't that good anyway' because he clearly was.

not at all. owen was unpopular with fans for running his contract down, talking shit about signing a new one and then leaving for far less than he was worth. nobody said 'well he wasn't that good anyway' because he clearly was.

symantics, anyways, let's talk about this year's team, know nothing about the young french lad we signed yesterday.

I felt uncomfortable with the "over rated" remark - but maybe nev said it tongue in cheek?

As far as him being a <deleted> is concerned though - no revisionism going on there - just look back in this thread and you'll see that sentiment being expressed right from the start of his United career.

yes rix was a tongue in cheek comment but the <deleted> remains.

but i do wish him all the luck at madrid.

we have our new ronaldo gabby obertan he will be a star after he gets his head sorted he looks the dogs <deleted>.

3 great signings and we have not spent 20 million.

fergie is a shrewd man in is old age,no more buying over priced stars like veron who flopped, pay 3 mill for this kid if he not work out sell him to madrid for 50 mill in a few years.

^ Surely once a players gone you can revise all you like..... :)

Gossip: United eye Ibrahimovic

July 09, 2009- MEN

UNITED have been linked with a swoop for Inter Milan and Sweden star Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

The Reds have already signed Michael Owen, Gabriel Obertan and Antonio Valencia, but are yet to land a big name that would ease fans' fears in the wake of Cristiano Ronaldo's exit.

Now Sir Alex Ferguson is weighing up a bid for 27-year-old Ibrahimovic, who is values at £30m, report the Daily Mirror

redrus

^ Surely once a players gone you can revise all you like..... :)

Gossip: United eye Ibrahimovic

July 09, 2009- MEN

UNITED have been linked with a swoop for Inter Milan and Sweden star Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

The Reds have already signed Michael Owen, Gabriel Obertan and Antonio Valencia, but are yet to land a big name that would ease fans' fears in the wake of Cristiano Ronaldo's exit.

Now Sir Alex Ferguson is weighing up a bid for 27-year-old Ibrahimovic, who is values at £30m, report the Daily Mirror[/i

redrus

I hope he doesnt. Great goal scorer in his own league but when it comes to playing other sides throughout Europe is a bit of a dud. I seem to remember he has never scored against United, but I will stand corrected on that.

So already three new players in and maybe one or two more to come so who is moving out ? on loan ? or transfer. The squad is assuming very large proportions. I hate to see the young guys,especially, sitting in the stands

Very Large Proportions

The current squad according to Manchester United’s site looks like this at the moment :-

No Assigned shirt number as yet

Valencia

Owen

Obertan

• Van der Sar
  • Neville
  • Evra
  • Hargreaves
  • Ferdinand
  • Brown

• Anderson
  • Berbatov
  • Rooney
  • Giggs
  • Foster
  • Park
  • Tosic
  • Vidic
  • Carrick
  • Nani
  • Scholes
  • Welbeck
  • Fabio
  • Rafael
  • O’Shea
  • Evans
  • Fletcher
  • Simpson
  • Manucho
  • Gibson
  • Kuszczak

• Hewson
  • Possebon ..(on Loan)
  • Cleverley
  • Gray
  • Cathcart
  • Zieler
  • Chester
  • Amos
  • Macheda
  • Eckersley
  • -
  • De Laet
  • Evans
  • Drinkwater
  • James

Brandy

Heaton

Quite a wage bill !

Owen and Rooney won't score enough goals to win United the title -

So what rabbit will Fergie pull out of the hat? -Daily Mail

Manchester United’s goalscoring threat after the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo remains a mystery, but Sir Alex Ferguson seems convinced Wayne Rooney is not it.

post-16343-1247141237_thumb.jpg

Michael Owen

Goals pay the rent: But will United new boy Michael Owen be lodging in the treatment room?

The Portugal attacker was United’s main source of goals and the manager has effectively rejected Rooney’s claims to being able to step into Ronaldo’s shoes.

Not only has he saved ‘Liverpool legend’ Michael Owen from the scrapheap, but he is also still looking for an established goalscorer who has been banging them in at the top level and has not been a season ticket holder for the treatment room.

Ferguson is right too.

If he doesn’t sign another striker and Owen doesn’t look like he is 21 again then United won’t win the title, no matter how hard the talented Rooney tries.

redrus