Bank Savings Interest Rates

gdaya

from laos to malaysia all hooboo talk, 555 thailand never keep more than the necessary balance needed. new zealand pays good rates, democratic country, deposits insured, english well known, www.anz.co.nz for as little as 5000 kiwi dollars 4.75 % save.

wbr

roobaa01

Which account are you referring to?

KTB offer 3.9% on a 10 month deposit http://www.ktb.co.th/en/news_promotion/3_financial_products.jsp

Thanachart manager told me they will be bringing in new rates this month - over 3%

Not Found

The requested object does not exist on this server. The link you followed is either outdated, inaccurate, or the server has been instructed not to let you have it. Please inform the site administrator of the referring page.

Soon I want to bring in from overseas the equivalent of 800,000 baht for about 7 month to place on deposit in anticipation of using the money for my retirement visa requirement which renews in February.

I currently bank with Bangkok Bank (in Pattaya) and may use them as usual but can anyone recommend another bank (acceptable to immigration) giving me a better rate of interest?

Many thanks any suggestions!

Be careful if you use CIMB fixed accounts ... they can't update the book so they told me and immigration told me that they wouldn't accept a paper print out... lucky that I had money in BB. Of course a CIMB instant access a/c is ok ... pays 1.8% over 1M and 1.5% on lower amounts at the moment.

Jomtien Immigration did not seem to have any issue with an L&H fixed account I used earlier this year and that book hadn't been touched for over a year?

Edit - Surely that must be the case for all fixed accounts - they are fixed.........smile.png

Edited by topt

Soon I want to bring in from overseas the equivalent of 800,000 baht for about 7 month to place on deposit in anticipation of using the money for my retirement visa requirement which renews in February.

I currently bank with Bangkok Bank (in Pattaya) and may use them as usual but can anyone recommend another bank (acceptable to immigration) giving me a better rate of interest?

Be careful if you use CIMB fixed accounts ... they can't update the book so they told me and immigration told me that they wouldn't accept a paper print out... lucky that I had money in BB. Of course a CIMB instant access a/c is ok ... pays 1.8% over 1M and 1.5% on lower amounts at the moment.

Jomtien Immigration did not seem to have any issue with an L&H fixed account I used earlier this year and that book hadn't been touched for over a year?

Edit - Surely that must be the case for all fixed accounts - they are fixed.........smile.png

There is no problem updating BB Fixed Deposit Savings accounts .... just push the book in the M/C ... maybe CIMB's problem is that they use the same book for all savings accounts ... ie I have three different Fixed Deposit saving accounts (taken out at different times) and they are all in the same CIMB Book.

Question for the exchange savvy people. Im getting paid in Sing $, I can comfortably save 100,000bt a month, should I transfer this every month into my Thai account or leave it and do it when there is a lump in there. I have HSBC Malaysia accounts also with time deposits but the Ringgit has been shit the last year , so am trying to leave it alone

The special savings account at LH bank is still 2% with a deposit over 500k , You can make withdrawals any time, They also offer fixed accounts up to 2.40% 24/36 months.

The special savings account at LH bank is still 2% with a deposit over 500k , You can make withdrawals any time, They also offer fixed accounts up to 2.40% 24/36 months.

balo do you have the special savings account with LH Bank? Does the interest get paid monthly; twice or once a year?

Is it true that you can make ATM withdrawals from any Thai bank in any province with no charges/fees?

Any other information about the account or LH Bank greatfully received as thinking of opening an account

Boycie

Edited by Boycie

balo do you have the special savings account with LH Bank? Does the interest get paid monthly; twice or once a year?

Is it true that you can make ATM withdrawals from any Thai bank in any province with no charges/fees?

Any other information about the account or LH Bank greatfully received as thinking of opening an account

Boycie

Yes I opened the account 6 months ago. With ATM card , can make withdrawals without charge in Chonburi. Not sure about other provinces. Also comes with internet banking so can transfer online as much as I like, just make sure the balance is over 500k to keep the best interest,

LH pay out the interest every 6 months.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Krung Sri has a few accounts that may be of interest:

Mee Tae Dai isn't a fixed deposit account, so your money is available any time without loss of interest. For 800,000 Baht it pays 1.85%. For me it's convenient because there's no nonsense of dealing with maturity and rolling over into 3 month fixed deposits. Rates are consistently good.

10 month fixed deposit pays 1.90%.

8 month step up deposit pays an average rate of 2.10%.

Mee Tae Dai account now down to 1.80%

Boycie

me and the wife have had accs.with LH.BANK for over 3yrs. my retirement extension has been in a fixed term the last 3yrs.and when i need the letter for immigration they have been very profesional.

the special savings accs.is what we call a current acc.and as long as the balance is above [not sure] 500k a decent rate is paid,our last one was 2.60%.

all their fixed accs.we have,may 18months @ 2.70%,24months @ 2.70% interest is paid monthly into a current acc.they do need your tax id.no when opening any acc.

the wife also has accs.with thai credit bank,feb.2015 3.25% over 3yrs.and a savings plan over 2yrs. 25k.monthly @ 3.60% but i think this one is for thai's only.

gdaya folks,

with the country banks offering only paltry saving rate , which for my belief are also below inflation thus devaluating your funds even further, I

to draw your attention to alternatives, www.esanda.com.au, www.udc.co.nz.

also laos so called attractive rate, be aware the counntry is soon facing an external debt crisis, derived from excessive borrowing.

always greed eats brain.

so mote it be

roobaa01

Krung Sri has a few accounts that may be of interest:

Mee Tae Dai isn't a fixed deposit account, so your money is available any time without loss of interest. For 800,000 Baht it pays 1.85%. For me it's convenient because there's no nonsense of dealing with maturity and rolling over into 3 month fixed deposits. Rates are consistently good.

10 month fixed deposit pays 1.90%.

8 month step up deposit pays an average rate of 2.10%.

Mee Tae Dai account now down to 1.80%

Just reupped a TD @ BBL today---rates are 1.875% 10 Months, 1.75% 7 months and 1.625% 4 months.

That's untrue, I have held several CIMB fixed accounts for many years and the passbook can be updated at any time.

That's untrue, I have held several CIMB fixed accounts for many years and the passbook can be updated at any time.

Did you have just one account in each book ... I have three accounts in the same book and they said that they couldn't do it ... they gave me an updated printout and letter but Imm. said not acceptable

If you care to wait a few weeks I will be using my CIMB passbook with multiple time deposits in for my retirement extension and will report back as to what happens.

At worst I suppose I could deposit an extra minimal amount which would result in the passbook being updated with the current date and balance.

I have multiple fixed rate deposits in the same book and a second book showing interest payments being received from them. The former shows the amount and the maturity date, that entry can be updated only when additional funds are deposited and/or when the maturity date has been reached or when the instrument has been encashed. The latter can be updated as and when interest payments are received.

For the extension of my visa I use both passbooks in conjunction with the bank letter stating overall relationship balance and I ensure the interest payments book is updated beforehand. Ergo, the initial deposit must still be in place because there is no entry showing it has matured/been encashed, interest payments from it are still being received plus the bank letter confirms. I have never had any problems from Immigration with all of that.

I have multiple fixed rate deposits in the same book and a second book showing interest payments being received from them. The former shows the amount and the maturity date, that entry can be updated only when additional funds are deposited and/or when the maturity date has been reached or when the instrument has been encashed. The latter can be updated as and when interest payments are received.

For the extension of my visa I use both passbooks in conjunction with the bank letter stating overall relationship balance and I ensure the interest payments book is updated beforehand. Ergo, the initial deposit must still be in place because there is no entry showing it has matured/been encashed, interest payments from it are still being received plus the bank letter confirms. I have never had any problems from Immigration with all of that.

CM to me that suggests you have a separate account where the interest is paid into?

I am like JAS21 (or was) and had 2 or 3 accounts in the same book. As they were all fixed I am not sure you can just add to it other than showing a new amount added at probably a different rate?

I currently have my extension money in a L&H fixed account with no transactions for over 9 months and this was not questioned by Jomtien Immigration earlier this year. I think JAS21 was unlucky but it could happen anywhere and worth being aware of.

CM to me that suggests you have a separate account where the interest is paid into?

I am like JAS21 (or was) and had 2 or 3 accounts in the same book. As they were all fixed I am not sure you can just add to it other than showing a new amount added at probably a different rate?

I currently have my extension money in a L&H fixed account with no transactions for over 9 months and this was not questioned by Jomtien Immigration earlier this year. I think JAS21 was unlucky but it could happen anywhere and worth being aware of.

Ah, now I see the issue!

Indeed I do have a savings account that is fed interest payments and it is that account that I can update at will.

But the fixed deposit book never needs updating, it's either there or it's not, regardless of the date the deposit was made, I mean, it's not as though a person could withdraw the funds and not have a corresponding transaction recorded in the book! And UOB fixed rate accounts are the same way, I have to say that I've never been pressed by CM Immigration to get updates to those accounts, perhaps that's because they can't be updated and they know it.

JustOne Savings Account from Standard Chartered gets you 5% per annum(Compounded daily, credited monthly) when you apply, get approved and spend over 8,000 Baht each month. This 8,000 Baht can be spent on mutual funds...etc.

That's a "no fix" account.

P.s interest is 2.5% without the creditcard.

JustOne Savings Account from Standard Chartered gets you 5% per annum(Compounded daily, credited monthly) when you apply, get approved and spend over 8,000 Baht each month. This 8,000 Baht can be spent on mutual funds...etc.

That's a "no fix" account.

P.s interest is 2.5% without the creditcard.

Can you give a bit more detail of this and maybe a few links for reference? wink.png

Looks like an "opening offer" to get you in - but then the rate will drop like a stone after a few months -- or am I just too cynical ;)

Edited by jpinx

It's a credit card teaser account where the only person who wins is the bank - credit card required (hence work permit required) plus minimum monthly spend on the card also required,

The minimum monthly is low -- only 8,000 -- so no big deal there. I seem to remember other postings about people getting a credit card without a work permit. The main problem is that it's like all the teaser accounts -- terms and conditions are "fluid" and the rate will fall as soon as they decide they have caught enough new customers. The credit card probably has a minimum contract term or face charges, but the rate can probably change without notice

The only way to win would be to dump a large deposit in it and get out at the first hint of a rate drop - but you need to carefully calculate the costs of transfers, etc, that are involved. wink.png

Edited by jpinx

I have the account. No issue so far. Wouldn't be too upset about it if they drop the rates in the future, for the time being it is the best option to put cash that can be immediately access so no fuss about it.

I have the account. No issue so far. Wouldn't be too upset about it if they drop the rates in the future, for the time being it is the best option to put cash that can be immediately access so no fuss about it.

Good job ! :)

Did you need a work permit for the credit card? What other papers did they want?