Suvarnabhumi Airport Eastern Runway Will Be Closed 60 Days For Maintenance

webfact

I believe that the normal life span of an airport runway is approximately 20 years. The need to repave (please no asphalt!) after such a short interval needs to be explained in more detail.

Substandard materials used in the first place, plus this sort of thing was bound to happen as the runways settle, especially when it was built on a swamp.

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of weeks ago they told the airport is complete overloaded.

Now closing one runway isn't a problem??

Or maybe only the immigration was overloaded??

You been through immigration lately? Quickest I have ever seen.

Really?????? I just spoke to a friend (thai national) who arrived back in Swampy today.....45 minute wait at immigration, so if that's quick.......If it's like that now, just wait until all the european schools close and the waves of tourists roll in AND they close or reduce the flow on the runway.......... (Mind you, I'd hate to try to go thru Heathrow any time soon, with the Olympics and Paralympics on...)

I think your Thai friend is exaggerating (alot), unless he happened to arrive at incredibly busy time when coincidentally there were planes uncharacteristically filled with loads of other Thais returning to the country.

I have been through the airport numerous times as have many people I have spoken with this year and the one common theme is how much incredibly faster the lines are. Not only have they added numerous more officers but they have also stream lined the process to improve the time it takes somebody when they are at the booth.

And do you really think it is going to be worse during the lowest part of the season?

I really hope you are right, Nisa.... I'll find out in July!!.... and will gladly apologise if/when I'm wrong. smile.png .... Now we'd better get back on topic before we get nailed!! I agree, the runway has lasted an amazingly short time.... and now even more money could disappear into the swamp.... Is this the shape of things to come.... first aid every six years? Hmmmmmm

I believe that the normal life span of an airport runway is approximately 20 years. The need to repave (please no asphalt!) after such a short interval needs to be explained in more detail.

Substandard materials used in the first place, plus this sort of thing was bound to happen as the runways settle, especially when it was built on a swamp.

We can´t let the politicians involved be without pocket money, can we?rolleyes.gif

That's because Nok Air moved to Dong Meuang!

P.S. Wouldn't ti be cheaper to pave the third runway?

Edited by tartempion

When I went through last Thursday I waited in line for 40 mins.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Near 6 years, Sounds like the initial contractor for the runway skimped on materials and/or preparation, similar things happened to all contracts for this said airport, remember the taxi-ways ?? cracks everywhere. Air con, you name it, for the Thaksin flagship far too much rake off, as usual--Scanners come to mind--a six year disaster, what a shame, and what a farce. Why in the world didn't they build a new small airport for the Thai air force, and occupy all Don M. Too late now, it was all to do with that disease here called money/greed.

Runway repaving as well as maintenance/repairs is common and the more the runway is used the more often it will be repaved. In this case, it is more about improvements since the airport is handling more capacity than it currently was built. But even so, repairs and maintenance has little to do with time but rather use. The more busy the runway the more repairs needed (just like a road, especially when it comes to travel by trucks & buses). Keep in mind BKK is not only one of the busiest airports in the world (16th in 2011 / 5th so far in 2012) but also only has 2 runways.

Gatwick airport London is the worlds busiest civilian single runway airport in the world.

There is a take off and landing just about every minute of the day.

It is resurfaced every 11 or 12 years.

During the resurfacing the airport remains open. It's all the result of planning!

Near 6 years, Sounds like the initial contractor for the runway skimped on materials and/or preparation, similar things happened to all contracts for this said airport, remember the taxi-ways ?? cracks everywhere. Air con, you name it, for the Thaksin flagship far too much rake off, as usual--Scanners come to mind--a six year disaster, what a shame, and what a farce. Why in the world didn't they build a new small airport for the Thai air force, and occupy all Don M. Too late now, it was all to do with that disease here called money/greed.

Runway repaving as well as maintenance/repairs is common and the more the runway is used the more often it will be repaved. In this case, it is more about improvements since the airport is handling more capacity than it currently was built. But even so, repairs and maintenance has little to do with time but rather use. The more busy the runway the more repairs needed (just like a road, especially when it comes to travel by trucks & buses). Keep in mind BKK is not only one of the busiest airports in the world (16th in 2011 / 5th so far in 2012) but also only has 2 runways.

Gatwick airport London is the worlds busiest civilian single runway airport in the world.

During the resurfacing the airport remains open. It's all the result of planning!

PLANNING!!!!!!!!!! Are you mad??ermm.gif

You mean the same airport (Gatwick ) that was forced to turn away 1,500planes last week because of runway repairs?

If you happened to actually read the article, BKK airport will not be closed and it is not repairs or maintenance but improvement to the runway.

Curious, what time was this -- what flight were you on because I was there Thursday and getting it was 10-minutes or less

Here are some other comments from posters (many who love to complain) reporting 5-minute wait times.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/542555-immigration-on-departure-at-bkk-updates/.

Sorry you hot caught in an unusual situation but it happens, especially at an airport handling near twice the capacity it was currently designed for.

That's because Nok Air moved to Dong Meuang!

P.S. Wouldn't ti be cheaper to pave the third runway?

What would be cheaper than building a third runway?

Alos, I think you mean moved "back" to Don Meuang five months ago after a 3-month stay during the flooding. Also not sure how Nok Air would impact immigration lines being a domestic airlines.

You mean the same airport (Gatwick ) that was forced to turn away 1,500planes last week because of runway repairs

If you happened to actually read the article, BKK airport will not be closed and it is not repairs or maintenance but improvement to the runway.

Get your facts right

Around 1,500 airline passengers were forced to land at the wrong airports today as fog and emergency repairs forced Gatwick to shut their main runway.

A total of 24 flights were forced to touch down at other UK destinations due to the combination of poor visibility and runway repairs, a Gatwick spokesman said.

Engineers were carrying out planned maintenance work to the airport's main runway overnight, leaving just the second landing strip open

As stated in main article maintenance resurfacing is maintenance

President of the Airports of Thailand, or AOT, Somchai Sawasdipol explained in his statement that the resurfacing will increase the thickness of the runway by 10 centimeters. Also, during the maintenance period, only A320s and smaller planes are allowed to use the opposite end of the taxiway

Edited by dazk

Reality Nisa, forget the defiant defence of Thailand, 6 years is a short time to have all this work done, it's quality of work not so much USAGE although it does have to come into the picture a little, Please look at #20 #21 #22, Please do not sat anyone is knocking Thailand, the cheap charlie corrupt contracts PROVE the fact. It is the foundations that are mainly at fault, preparations rushed to get the flagship airport built. 6 years is the problem here, double that and you could understand it. CONTRACTS CORRUPTION COLLATERAL CABINET.....these have a little to do with the problem. Again what a pity in this land the country is let down again, especially when TAT wants tourism back, MIRACLE year-amazing.

Curious, what time was this -- what flight were you on because I was there Thursday and getting it was 10-minutes or less

Here are some other comments from posters (many who love to complain) reporting 5-minute wait times.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/542555-immigration-on-departure-at-bkk-updates/.

Sorry you hot caught in an unusual situation but it happens, especially at an airport handling near twice the capacity it was currently designed for.

Flight BR67. Landed approx 14.50

Queue was out past the marked lines.

Swampy has a design capacity of 45 million. Latest passenger figures are 47.9 million for 2011 so hardly operating at double capacity. And last time I looked it's hardly high season so why the long queues?

Poor planning at time of peak arrival and departure would be my guess judging by the empty immigration desks.

• Like 1

Swampy has a design capacity of 45 million. Latest passenger figures are 47.9 million for 2011 so hardly operating at double capacity. And last time I looked it's hardly high season so why the long queues?

Poor planning at time of peak arrival and departure would be my guess judging by the empty immigration desks.

According to Natthorn Phrosuwan, the chief of Immigration Division who is responsible for immigration at Suvarnabhumi. The max capacity for design in 2006 was 80,000 people a day has increased to 160,000 and 180,000 a day. I'm sure you can do a search to find this article in The Post from March 2012.

Also. the first 6 weeks of 2012 saw near 10 Million passengers at the airport. This would equal about 85 million for the year making at least this period near double the current rated capacity of 45 million. See: LINK

Edited by Nisa

http://www.thaivisa....at-bkk-updates/.

Flight BR67. Landed approx 14.50

Queue was out past the marked lines.

That is around the same time I was there picking somebody up and we were in the car within the 30-minutes of the plane landing ... didn't ask the size of the line but just going on time.

You mean the same airport (Gatwick ) that was forced to turn away 1,500planes last week because of runway repairs

Get your facts right

Around 1,500 airline passengers were forced to land at the wrong airports today as fog and emergency repairs forced Gatwick to shut their main runway.

A total of 24 flights were forced to touch down at other UK destinations due to the combination of poor visibility and runway repairs, a Gatwick spokesman said.

Engineers were carrying out planned maintenance work to the airport's main runway overnight, leaving just the second landing strip open

As stated in main article maintenance resurfacing is maintenance

President of the Airports of Thailand, or AOT, Somchai Sawasdipol explained in his statement that the resurfacing will increase the thickness of the runway by 10 centimeters. Also, during the maintenance period, only A320s and smaller planes are allowed to use the opposite end of the taxiway

So, what fact didn't I get right ... were not repairs (emergency) being done at Gatwick (last week) that closed the main runway and resulted in 1500 planes not being able to land there? Or are you playing word games about the word "maintenance" in describing improvement/upgrade that is not going to close the airport.

Edited by Nisa

Nisa

re gatwick 1500 passengers not planes, only 25 planes could not land, this was caused by fog not the maintenance its self as i said get your facts right before slating gatwick

and the resurfacing at swampy is maintenance, even states that in the article, its not improvements they are maintaining a badly constructed uncertified runway and before you say it i am not a thailand basher i love this country more than my home land

Edit

From that link the latest year to date figure is 49 million. Only just over capacity and nowhere near double.

According to Natthorn Phrosuwan, the chief of Immigration Division who is responsible for immigration at Suvarnabhumi. The max capacity for design in 2006 was 80,000 people a day has increased to 160,000 and 180,000 a day. I'm sure you can do a search to find this article in The Post from March 2012.

Also. the first 6 weeks of 2012 saw near 10 Million passengers at the airport. This would equal about 85 million for the year making at least this period near double the current rated capacity of 45 million. See: LINK

I'm sure TAT would love it if the high season figures for new year were consistant the whole year but unfortunately they are not. The numbers coming in now are nowhere near the high season peak.

Aot own figure for 2011, the latest figure available is 47910000. Only just over capacity.

Edited by edwinchester

The timing is excellent - summer holidays in most European countries. They could easily have done this in the low season, but it looks like the repair was overdue and a threat by aviation safety to close the runway was imminent.

1. It is the low season.

2. Please explain how you come to this conclusion ("but it looks like the repair was overdue and a threat by aviation safety to close the runway was imminent") because I don't see anything to suggest this was anything other than routine maintenance?

Nisa

re gatwick 1500 passengers not planes, only 25 planes could not land, this was caused by fog not the maintenance its self as i said get your facts right before slating gatwick

and the resurfacing at swampy is maintenance, even states that in the article, its not improvements they are maintaining a badly constructed uncertified runway and before you say it i am not a thailand basher i love this country more than my home land

My bad, it was 1500 passengers and not planes but does it make a difference when the POINT was that you held an airport up as an example who just last week had to close its main runway for emergency runway repairs preventing planes from landing for the night effecting a bunch of people when the planned work at BKK will not being

causing flights to land elsewhere.

Edit

From that link the latest year to date figure is 49 million. Only just over capacity and nowhere near double.

I'm sure TAT would love it if the high season figures for new year were consistant the whole year but unfortunately they are not. The numbers coming in now are nowhere near the high season peak.

Aot own figure for 2011, the latest figure available is 47910000. Only just over capacity.

The comment was about latest passenger traffic at immigration and not future or yearly. It was based on comments by the Cheif of immigration there last month as well as credible number from the first part of this year.

Nisa

My bad, it was 1500 passengers and not planes but does it make a difference when the POINT was that you held an airport up as an example who just last week had to close its main runway for emergency runway repairs preventing planes from landing for the night effecting a bunch of people when the planned work at BKK will not being

The runway maintenance was not an emergency it was planned as part of the general upkeep of the runway. This takes place on average every 11-12 years. The emergency was the closure due to fog.

What I would like to know, as a Thai taxpayer, is why a runway that is only 6 years old needs repairs when the worlds busiest single runway lasts twice as long?

Nisa

and my POINT is it was not the repairs that caused the cancellation of landings it was the fog that caused the problem most likely not safe to run airtraffic alongside repair crews or fog delayed repair crews and as the article states it was planed maintenance no emergency give up you made a mistake

Edited by dazk

Lets make this simple ....

30 May 2012 Around 1,500 airline passengers were forced to land at the wrong airports today as fog and
emergency repairs forced Gatwick to shut their main runway
Read more:
Edited by Nisa