England'S Official 2012 Euro Discussion Thread

mrbojangles

The only player that should be left out is Rooney.

Keep him on the bench and give the lads that played well against Sweden another run.

Maybe give Downing a run out instead of Young and Jagielka instead of Terry,Parker could be rested as he busts a gut every game stick Jones in and give him a game.

To many changes may blow up in our face, only change for me would be Rooney for Milner, i think Carroll Rooney and Welbeck could all play together in the same team.

Same back four, then Parker Gerrard Young

Rooney Welbeck Carroll up front

i could see that line up causing all kinds of problems.

for ukraine? or for england?

way too wide open that, concedes the midfield to your opposition right from the off. and in a match where a draw is enough that would be barking.

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parker will end up knackered this tournament regardless because he spends the whole game doing the donkey work because the only english midfielder that knows how to keep possession is 38, ginger, and not invited to the party. Problem is theres no one else to do his job capably.

• Like 1

Keep him on the bench and give the lads that played well against Sweden another run.

Maybe give Downing a run out instead of Young and Jagielka instead of Terry,Parker could be rested as he busts a gut every game stick Jones in and give him a game.

To many changes may blow up in our face, only change for me would be Rooney for Milner, i think Carroll Rooney and Welbeck could all play together in the same team.

for ukraine? or for england?

way too wide open that, concedes the midfield to your opposition right from the off. and in a match where a draw is enough that would be barking.

It would also have Gerrard way too deep again and invite then on to us.

Oh, and Terry's simply dreadful

Hart

Cole

Terry

Lescott

Johnson

Milner

Gerrard

Parker

Young

Rooney

Wellbeck

This will be the team Roy has shown he will stick with that back four and he likes the four in midfield.

Wellbeck for me has grown already in this tournament and knows how to play with Rooney.

Carroll and Ox and the Walcott will all be used as impact subs if needed.

If we get into the Quarters we can win the tournament with a bit of luck,no need to fear Spain or the Germans,from the games i have seen there is not really a team that stands out.

England are very organized with Hodgson and a good display against the Ukraine will give them confidence.

Anything can happen look at Greece again.

So could I .... if we had a strong enough defence or a well-rested midfield of world class players.

Not a chance of this happening - putting one extra up front = one less dedicated midfielder = disaster, front line starved of supply. The Holland v Portugal game showed what happens when you put too many up front., even if one (Rooney, vanP) roves back.

Johnson's a worry for me in an England line-up, Stevie. Looks good and good attacking defender. Gets caught out too often on the turn and gives cheap ball away. Not in Ashley Cole's league despite the age gap. Excellent teams - including Liverpool when playing well - do well with two attacking defenders. Average teams get sucker-punched. England are an average team (due to injuries - Lampard, Cahill, Wilshere) and got sucker-punched too often against Sweden.

Red, are you seriously suggesting we can win this tournament!!? biggrin.png

Well from what i have seen yes! we in most probability won't but we have already beat Spain and with luck and organisation it could be done.

Mr Red's having a larf. Spain and Germany will eat us for breakfast - probably Portugal and Italy to. The latter two have defences that are streets ahead of ours and the former two have midfields to die for. Don't judge the Germans by yesterday - they were on battery saver option by design, not on maximise performance!

So could I .... if we had a strong enough defence or a well-rested midfield of world class players.

Not a chance of this happening - putting one extra up front = one less dedicated midfielder = disaster, front line starved of supply. The Holland v Portugal game showed what happens when you put too many up front., even if one (Rooney, vanP) roves back.

Johnson's a worry for me in an England line-up, Stevie. Looks good and good attacking defender. Gets caught out too often on the turn and gives cheap ball away. Not in Ashley Cole's league despite the age gap. Excellent teams - including Liverpool when playing well - do well with two attacking defenders. Average teams get sucker-punched. England are an average team (due to injuries - Lampard, Cahill, Wilshere) and got sucker-punched too often against Sweden.

I hope you are not suggesting we are average because of the absence of Lampard,Cahill and Wilshere??

Why are you worried about Johnson. He's hardly put a foot wrong

Mr Red's having a larf. Spain and Germany will eat us for breakfast - probably Portugal and Italy to. The latter two have defences that are streets ahead of ours and the former two have midfields to die for. Don't judge the Germans by yesterday - they were on battery saver option by design, not on maximise performance!

Sorry mate but There is no team in Europe that is head and shoulders above anyone else from what i have seen so far and therefore anything can happen in football matches.

Yes I am - not because any one of the three is world class, but because Lamps and Cahill are the two we are now looking for to relieve the knackered Terry and Parker; Wilshere would have been a three-match playing posession keeping attacking midfielder to give Gerrard an easier time of it. We would have been a good side with tournament-winning potential with those three in the squad.

Sorry mate but There is no team in Europe that is head and shoulders above anyone else from what i have seen so far and therefore anything can happen in football matches.

Sorry but Germany are light years better than us. We'll get dismantled. We stand a chance against Spain if we stick everyone behind the ball and stick the boot in. They'll start crying and lose the plot. But not zee Germans

Disagree. Over 3 matches Germany are that team for me. The Greek and Danish Euro experience - yes - anyone can win it; I was talking about who is likely to win it and that aint England in a month of Sundays. (OK - maybe two weeks of Sundays given the Greek/Danish factors)

i think johnson's had two good games so far and is possibly england's most under-rated player. there was a poll of all spain's top journalists last week and they were all asked which england players they could envisage getting into the spanish side and they all named only one player - can you guess who it was?

indeed. england simply wouldn't have the ball long enough to score against spain and would get passed to death.

there's an awful lot more in germany's tank yet as well (no, not a war reference).

Sorry but Germany are light years better than us. We'll get dismantled. We stand a chance against Spain if we stick everyone behind the ball and stick the boot in. They'll start crying and lose the plot. But not zee Germans

nah, cobblers that. this spain team will just kick you right back. busquets, alonso, arbeloa, ramos, pique - all plenty capable of mixing it up.

i think johnson's had two good games so far and is possibly england's most under-rated player. there was a poll of all spain's top journalists last week and they were all asked which england players they could envisage getting into the spanish side and they all named only one player - can you guess who it was?

indeed. england simply wouldn't have the ball long enough to score against spain and would get passed to death.

there's an awful lot more in germany's tank yet as well (no, not a war reference).

They passed us to death last time we met Stevie!

This was there team that night

Casillas (Reina 46), Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos (Puyol 74), Jordi Alba, Busquets (Torres 64), Alonso, Xavi (Fabregas 46), Iniesta (Santi Cazorla 74), Silva (Mata 46), Villa. Subs Not Used: Valdes, Albiol, Monreal, Llorente, Jesus Navas.

Edited by MrRed

I cant see us standing much of a chance against either Spain or Germany myself. Our performance against Sweden wasnt that convincing. What I would like to see is that we go out and try and win the Group against Ukraine. Then I think we have every opportunity in the quarters against either Croatia or Italy.

Rooney should play with Welbeck upfront (Carroll being a potential impact sub). The only change to possibly consider is Young but I would probably count on him regaining his form as the alternatives are hardly inspiring.

I cant see us standing much of a chance against either Spain or Germany myself. Our performance against Sweden wasnt that convincing. What I would like to see is that we go out and try and win the Group against Ukraine. Then I think we have every opportunity in the quarters against either Croatia or Italy.

Rooney should play with Welbeck upfront (Carroll being a potential impact sub). The only change to possibly consider is Young but I would probably count on him regaining his form as the alternatives are hardly inspiring.

I think Italy will bury England easily as well as the two you mention. Just my honest opinion.

They passed us to death last time we met Stevie!

This was there team that night

Casillas (Reina 46), Arbeloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos (Puyol 74), Jordi Alba, Busquets (Torres 64), Alonso, Xavi (Fabregas 46), Iniesta (Santi Cazorla 74), Silva (Mata 46), Villa. Subs Not Used: Valdes, Albiol, Monreal, Llorente, Jesus Navas.

you'll have to remind me mate, was that in a pointless friendly where players were doing their best not to get injured or in a european championships knockout match where spain were chasing a record-breaking 3rd consecutive major title?

of course it's possible that england would beat spain over 90 minutes. it's also possible that west ham will win the premier league next season.

england also have to get past ukraine yet by the way. chickens, hatched and all that.

yep, agree with this. go all out against ukraine to try and top the group and force france to play spain in the quarters. it could be done, get a 3-1 or a 4-1 win, that's not out of the question. can't see hodgson going for it though.

I agree with regards to Cahill, his injury was a big blow, especially with Terry looking so slow and cumbersome. I would like to see Jakielka get the nod alongside Lescott, but the only change I think will be Rooney for Caroll, injuries aside.

Some on here suggesting that Rooney should not start must be straight out of the Graham Taylor school of management. You play your best player, end of !!

Actually some on here claiming we could actually win it are obviously from the school of eternal optomists and wishful thinking laugh.png I said in another thread can't see past Spain or Germany for a winner and nothing we have seen so far has made me think again.

Having said that i would love to be proved wrong, and trying to win the group should give us a slightly easier game in the quarters. Got to beat Ukraine first though....

I agree with carmine and the Spanish? writers, 4 me johnsons been our stand out player so far, but the rest of our defence has been ok lescot and terry have stood up and held it together well enuf Coles been caught and done a few times but nothing 2 serious, but us winners? its footie and stranger things have been known but cant see it somehow, getting through to the semis would be great, but the ukkkkraainias in their bac yard!! v v dificult game, judging from their last game, we can beat them, but it's no where near certain. We will have weather the first 20 mins then shut the crowd up and then perhaps take the game on, but hey ho

I think Italy will bury England easily as well as the two you mention. Just my honest opinion.

Italy are absolute pants aswell smokie. better teams have already been eliminated.

• Like 1

I agree with regards to Cahill, his injury was a big blow, especially with Terry looking so slow and cumbersome. I would like to see Jakielka get the nod alongside Lescott, but the only change I think will be Rooney for Caroll, injuries aside.

Some on here suggesting that Rooney should not start must be straight out of the Graham Taylor school of management. You play your best player, end of !!

Jagielka alongside Lescott. Not a bad idea is that. Brave change to make and ofcourse he won't do it but is it worse than sitting there cringing at that carthorse Terry? Rooney should start as long as he's match fit with Welbeck but pending on the way the game is going i would like to see Carroll get another chance. He's really improving and he will unsettle center backs.

I must admit am not a Caroll fan, but he did score a good goal last game, but then he also gave away a few stupid free-kicks in areas he should not really have been.

I would pair Rooney and Welbeck and hope the club connection can spark Young into some kind of performance because the talent is there.. The option of an improving Caroll coming on later in the game is a good one and i think your correct Carmine, Woy won't have the balls to drop Terry for Jakielka.