England'S Official 2012 Euro Discussion Thread

mrbojangles

Amazing that we have had no sending's off... and no 0-0 draws in this tournament.

I think on the games so far the match officials have been very very good or have i spoke to soon?

Web was outstanding in his last outing - I don't often say that about him.

It was the Italians against Croatia - Webb got everything right and picked out the usually unpunished Italian dirty tricks in the box much to their surprise!

• Like 1

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goalkeepers

Hart Green Butland

Defenders

Johnson G Cole Kelly Terry Baines Jones Lescott Jagielka

Midfielders

Gerrard Henderson Milner Parker Downing

Attacking Midfielders

Walcott Young Oxlade-Chamberlain

Strikers

Carroll Rooney Defoe Welbeck

Going from our squad and for the next game can see Hodgson starting with Downing(sigh)and Walcott on the flanks with Rooney and Wellback up front.

When you look at our weakness in depth compared to other squads it is all the more kudos to Hodgson for playing to his own beliefs and not the presses!

Maybe Carroll and Rooney should also be given a try?

I think its fair to say we're all impressed with the timing and choice of substition Royston made. Very good tactics.

So tell me MrRed, do you think Liverpool would have made top four if they had retained him? biggrin.png

Undoubtedly,he is synonymous with the Liverpool way...c'mon Carmine you know that stop playing games with me now :-)

It could have been The Hodge...anfield legend! They must be gutted..........

I could see Jones or Jagiaelka starting or coming on for Terry and Jones or Henderson for Parker, given they cannot do 3 games in 12 days. Gerrard has to start one way or another given his form and its difficult to see who can come on for him when he sh@gs out. Walcott could come more central and could do the runs, but is no master of the long killer ball like StevieG and has no experience at keeping things in shape defensive-wise. That would be my major concern, who can keep our shape in the two back lines if both Terry and StevieG are non-starters or need an early substitution.

You almost come to the conclusion that we might have to switch to an attacking mode simply because we don't have the right defenders left fit for 90. The old Wenger approach of last season with a questionable defence - just make sure you frighten the oppo defence with pace and score more goals than them. Can't see Roy doing that of course but you got the feeling that the players didn't exactly follow Roy's blueprint yesterday.

Goalkeepers

Hart Green Butland

Defenders

Midfielders

Attacking Midfielders

Strikers

Going from our squad and for the next game can see Hodgson starting with Downing(sigh)and Walcott on the flanks with Rooney and Wellback up front.

When you look at our weakness in depth compared to other squads it is all the more kudos to Hodgson for playing to his own beliefs and not the presses!

The issue for England seems to be the 2 'other' midfield berths, because they appear to be areas of dysfunction, that may not be a problem to do with the actual players themselves, Milner looked shot after 30 mins but what a 30 mins, Young just hasn't got his act together, and the Ox for all his promise ends up running in to problems like all of them and spilling the ball.

These 2 positions are key, as we saw last night, with the change over of Milner for Walcott. they are such attrition positions that maybe the switch has to be made at half time, Milner's exhaustion cost us dearly.

England can not surrender possession so tamely it puts such enormous pressure on the wide midfielders who have to chase shadows, hence the attrition.

It also seems to me the midfield is too lightweight, often we come out of the possession battles worse off.

I guess solutions could be drafting either Johnson or Jones in to midfield. And would Downing lose the ball so cheaply?, my impression is he is good at keep ball. Typical then that he should be derided, I'd bet if he was French he'd be in the team every game.

Just for a moment I caught a glimpse of what might have been had my mother's train been delayed at Crewe.

Its Ok...the nightmare of delusion has passed...biggrin.png

In your dreams to be an Englishman!

Mr red, Youre bang on, he actually is an Englishman, just has issues comin to terms with it, but bet he's born in, works for, and live's in'

HE'S ENGLISH

This scot's thingy is just a a delusional hormonal imbalance thingy!

we just have to show empathy and try and understand it.

poor boy!!!!!

Just for a moment I caught a glimpse of what might have been had my mother's train been delayed at Crewe.

Mr red, Youre bang on, he actually is an Englishman, just has issues comin to terms with it, but bet he's born in, works for, and live's in'

HE'S ENGLISH

poor boy!!!!!

I'm not in England....no chance rij! :lol:

Goalkeepers

Hart Green Butland

Defenders

Midfielders

Attacking Midfielders

Strikers

I think its fair to say we're all impressed with the timing and choice of substition Royston made. Very good tactics.

So tell me MrRed, do you think Liverpool would have made top four if they had retained him? biggrin.png

Undoubtedly,he is synonymous with the Liverpool way...c'mon Carmine you know that stop playing games with me now :-)

It could have been The Hodge...anfield legend! They must be gutted..........

Well not quite.... even if he had been given a decent chance.... even if he had managed to turn things around...... he would have still pissed off and gone to manage England after two years!!

The issue for England seems to be the 2 'other' midfield berths, because they appear to be areas of dysfunction, that may not be a problem to do with the actual players themselves, Milner looked shot after 30 mins but what a 30 mins, Young just hasn't got his act together, and the Ox for all his promise ends up running in to problems like all of them and spilling the ball.

These 2 positions are key, as we saw last night, with the change over of Milner for Walcott. they are such attrition positions that maybe the switch has to be made at half time, Milner's exhaustion cost us dearly.

England can not surrender possession so tamely it puts such enormous pressure on the wide midfielders who have to chase shadows, hence the attrition.

It also seems to me the midfield is too lightweight, often we come out of the possession battles worse off.

I guess solutions could be drafting either Johnson or Jones in to midfield. And would Downing lose the ball so cheaply?, my impression is he is good at keep ball. Typical then that he should be derided, I'd bet if he was French he'd be in the team every game.

Seems to me that the real problem is that Young has been so disappointing in the first two games. Its a shame because he came into the tournament as the one creative attacker on form in the absence of Rooney. He has had more assists than any other England player over the last two years. Against Sweden he didnt get one successful pass or cross into the penalty box.

It will be interesting to see whether Hodgson persists with him against Ukraine.

Seems to me that the real problem is that Young has been so disappointing in the first two games.

Nonsense. He was one of our best players against France. Not of course that that is saying much. He was poor though last night.

HE'S ENGLISH

poor boy!!!!!

I'm not in England....no chance rij! laugh.png

Yeah yeah yeah

ENGLISH MAN AHOY my boy !!!!!

I've suddenly found myself myself thinking of Angela Merkel in a football kit.

I wish there was a rule for deleting posts due to forcing unnecessary images into peoples minds. biggrin.png

How do you think i feel..sick.gif ..........blame Rix!

As an aside I thought it interesting that Sky had a record viewership of 4m in April this year for the Manchester derby. ITV showed the England v France match (free to air obviously) and it attracted 15m viewers.

As an aside I thought it interesting that Sky had a record viewership of 4m in April this year for the Manchester derby. ITV showed the England v France match (free to air obviously) and it attracted 15m viewers.

Evening game. People watch it at home. Manc derby was probably watched down the pub with your mates. Thats my theory

I've suddenly found myself myself thinking of Angela Merkel in a football kit.

I wish there was a rule for deleting posts due to forcing unnecessary images into peoples minds. biggrin.png

Yeah , could 'nt u put it down to something similar as 'self harm in public places' thats got 2 be worth a delete, if only to save the persons 'face' !!!

yeah, more hype, it's as if anyone outside Manchester really gives a fuc !!!

Except the cockney reds ;-)

Seems to me that the real problem is that Young has been so disappointing in the first two games. Its a shame because he came into the tournament as the one creative attacker on form in the absence of Rooney. He has had more assists than any other England player over the last two years. Against Sweden he didnt get one successful pass or cross into the penalty box.

It will be interesting to see whether Hodgson persists with him against Ukraine.

Did you break your bed-time curfew for England last night? tongue.png

• Like 1

Lol. No, my sleep is far too precious.

I watch the 11.00pm match and then the rerun of the 1.45am match at 7.45am in the morning.

I watch the 11.00pm match and then the rerun of the 1.45am match at 7.45am in the morning.

I see. Wasn't aware they screened reruns. Out of interest, what channel?

I liked this little jibe by the Irish

Roy Keane thinks they're a load of drunken blowhards! can't win can you....if you get pissed off with your team playing badly then you're not loyal and getting behind the team, if you just say to hell with it, were playing crap so we'll have some fun and make ourselves heard you get labelled as having a losers mentality.

I see. Wasn't aware they screened reruns. Out of interest, what channel?

BBC1/ITV1 through Thaiexpat.tv (TV or Browser). They have channels such as BBC1+6hrs or ITV1+6hrs so if MOTD is on at 10.35pm in the UK it will be on at 10.35am in Thailand.

I liked this little jibe by the Irish

I know i started the unfortunate Merkel-in-a-football-kit mind scarring business, but you're not helping mate. Can we make a pact to not mention her name on this thread again please. biggrin.png

Seems to me that the real problem is that Young has been so disappointing in the first two games.

Nonsense. He was one of our best players against France. Not of course that that is saying much. He was poor though last night.

Well he didnt do much in the France game.

11 completed passes (3 forward) less than the other 19 outfield players on the pitch. Not one tackle or shot on goal. Apart from that one pass to Milner he was pretty anonymous.

Well he didnt do much in the France game.

11 completed passes (3 forward) less than the other 19 outfield players on the pitch. Not one tackle or shot on goal. Apart from that one pass to Milner he was pretty anonymous.

And how many shots on goal did out and out striker Welbeck have that night?

Stats can only tell you so much Abrak. Sometimes it just comes down to what you see with your eyes. And what i saw when we played against France was that when Young had the ball, things looked like they might happen... he looked potentially dangerous... well to me anyway. Saw none of that last night though.

A top of the table premiership clash holds interest nationally, and in large parts of the rest of the world too.

A top of the table premiership clash holds interest nationally, and in large parts of the rest of the world too.

Don't burst his bubble mate,i was enjoying the normal southern softy bias against the best teams in England coming from the north or should we just start saying MANCHESTER!!

Now the group games are being played at the same time, i assume that means for those of us watching on Thai TV, they'll have one on Channel 3 and one on Channel 7. Channel 7 usually has dual soundtrack, so perhaps might get English commentary.

That said, i just tried to get match info from respective web sites but Channel 3 just says European Competition and Channel 7 doesn't indicate it is showing any games at all over the next few days. Weird.