England'S Official 2012 Euro Discussion Thread

mrbojangles

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Score 3-2 to England. Well done though I was well worried at 2-1 to Sweden.

Sweden going home and Ukraine need to beat us or their going home.......oh hang on a minute they are home already.:blink:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by MB1

Great result. Patchy performance. Alarming how we just folded for 30 mins. I really think we need to bolster up midfield a bit as it is too lightweight. Milner faded badly. We looked much better when Theo came on.

Sadly, I don't see us waltzing to the final and I wouldn't say it is cut and dried that we'll get a point against Ukraine. Well dodgy team. Still with a bit of luck we'll get to the quarters where mediocrity beckons.

Goals and excitement chaps...that's all I ask tonight....smile.png

Admit it - you only said that believing you wouldn't get it! Hard luck

Theo's one great game in 3, Stevie. Hard on Milner, who had a good first half - thought Theo would come on for Young who was poor. Immense again by StevieG.

We could qualify with our existing 4 points if Sweden beat France. That's unlikely, for the reasons stated below (edit: and because a combination of France and England losing sends the French home). A draw against Ukraine to qualify (or even to come top if France lose*, a good win could get us top spot but our goal difference would have to be one better than France's in the two nation's respective last games. If it were one better we would be level with France on goal difference in all matches and the UEFA rankings would give us top spot. For that reason France will want to beat Sweden well.

*If both England and France draw then France go top on the basis of a better goal difference in the group.

Nice (and much better than expectations) to be in control of our own destiny for both top spot and qualification. Great resolve when all looked lost.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Group Stages. All times are UK.

Monday 11th June 17:00 - Group D France vs England

Friday 15th June 19:45 - Group D Sweden vs England

Tuesday 19th June 19:45 - Group D England vs Ukraine

Sweden vs England,has just finished 3-2 England.

smokie36, on Yesterday, 23:25 , said:

Goals and excitement chaps...that's all I ask tonight....smile.png

Admit it - you only said that believing you wouldn't get it! Hard luck

Theo's one great game in 3, Stevie. Hard on Milner, who had a good first half - thought Theo would come on for Young who was poor. Immense again by StevieG.

We could qualify with our existing 4 points if Sweden beat France. That's unlikely, for the reasons stated below (edit: and because a combination of France and England losing sends the French home). A draw against Ukraine to qualify (or even to come top if France lose*, a good win could get us top spot but our goal difference would have to be one better than France's in the two nation's respective last games. If it were one better we would be level with France on goal difference in all matches and the UEFA rankings would give us top spot. For that reason France will want to beat Sweden well.

*If both England and France draw then France go top on the basis of a better goal difference in the group.

Nice (and much better than expectations) to be in control of our own destiny for both top spot and qualification. Great resolve when all looked lost.

Woy odgson is a wucking wiability! Terry, Lescott? Even Ashley Cole is past it! Gerrard looked f*cked from kick off, Walcott had a tap and pretended he was ronaldo!

What is wrong with White as a 'home' kit and 'red' as an away kit. Dark with light blue lettering - get the fuc_k out of here you tossers!

Only my personal opinion, sorry if I offended anyone!

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Roy has to take a lot of credit from this game. Excellent substitution and timed well. Walcott changed the game. Also thought Welbeck and Carroll played well.

Still sitting back though and it nearly cost us. It will in the end because the better teams will make us pay but so far so good. Well done England

• Like 1

Carroll's header was superb, but he needs to work on staying on his feet a bit more and not going down, appealing to the ref. Also some of his challenges are ill-judged, as we saw for the free kick leading to their goal.

Watching much of the game, it looked like both sides had abandoned any formation, any tactics, had forgotten their training, ran where they wanted, failed to properly mark, mis-hit and mis-directed balls with abandon, and discipline seemed to have completely broken down especially in midfield. It was the football equivalent of a gang-fight, but massively entertaining for all that.

How the Spanish would deal with us, I can only guess (or should that be dread?).

• Like 1

Roy has to take a lot of credit from this game. Excellent substitution and timed well. Walcott changed the game. Also thought Welbeck and Carroll played well.

Still sitting back though and it nearly cost us. It will in the end because the better teams will make us pay but so far so good. Well done England

Walcott did change the game i agree, but for his goal, all credit i think must go to the keeper - should have been a simple catch. Perhaps it came at him blind.

Just when i was getting excited about the possible prospect of having Young, Rooney and Welbeck combining and playing together up front, Young has one of his worst games for a long time. He deserves to be dropped for the next game really, but i hope he isn't.

What happened to our defending set plays in the second half? Looked a shambles.

But when Sweden went ahead and Ibrahimovic taunted Hart with "<deleted> you", i thought, ok let's get it on and show 'em what we are made of. Confident we would at least score once again, but not confident that we could stop them. But we did, and Welbeck's goal were it from the foot of Messi would be raved about non-stop by the international media. Very cute and just the tonic we needed.

Job far from done though. Going into our last game against the co-hosts, and only needing a draw, that can be a good thing and a bad thing. Fear we'll sit back too much and put pressure on our back four which looks quite porous at times. Anyway, for the moment i don't care about that. Just going to enjoy this win for the next twenty four hours, because you just never know how long it'll be before the next competitive win comes along, so few and far between are the games.

Walcott did change the game i agree, but for his goal, all credit i think must go to the keeper - should have been a simple catch. Perhaps it came at him blind.

Just when i was getting excited about the possible prospect of having Young, Rooney and Welbeck combining and playing together up front, Young has one of his worst games for a long time. He deserves to be dropped for the next game really, but i hope he isn't.

What happened to our defending set plays in the second half? Looked a shambles.

But when Sweden went ahead and Ibrahimovic taunted Hart with "<deleted> you", i thought, ok let's get it on and show 'em what we are made of. Confident we would at least score once again, but not confident that we could stop them. But we did, and Welbeck's goal were it from the foot of Messi would be raved about non-stop by the international media. Very cute and just the tonic we needed.

Job far from done though. Going into our last game against the co-hosts, and only needing a draw, that can be a good thing and a bad thing. Fear we'll sit back too much and put pressure on our back four which looks quite porous at times. Anyway, for the moment i don't care about that. Just going to enjoy this win for the next twenty four hours, because you just never know how long it'll be before the next competitive win comes along, so few and far between are the games.

Our center backs need as much time and protection as they can get. Johnson and Cole are fine imo but those two in the center do not look comfortable at all.

Shame we don't have a English version of Claude Makele sitting infront of them.

• Like 1

Funny the things our eyes sometimes see when we read quickly. I thought you said "shame we don't have an English version of Claude Merkel sitting in front of them". The i was thinking, isn't it Angela not Claude? And then i was thinking, why do we need the German Chancellor in our team?

I think i need to go and lie down.

• Like 1

That was very entertaining, was like watching a premier league game with all tactics gone out of the window, give me that rather than trying to grind out a boring win, even at 2-1 down i still thought we had a chance to win it.

Expect a tougher game against Ukraine next.

Funny the things our eyes sometimes see when we read quickly. I thought you said "shame we don't have an English version of Claude Merkel sitting in front of them". The i was thinking, isn't it Angela not Claude? And then i was thinking, why do we need the German Chancellor in our team?

I think i need to go and lie down.

I've suddenly found myself myself thinking of Angela Merkel in a football kit. Thanks for the impending nightmares Rx. w00t.gif

Great to see Andy Carroll do what everybody say he is good at in the first half although he did tire in the second half i thought.

Ashley Young was very poor going forward last night and James Milner at fault for getting caught ball watching and giving the free kick away for there goal.

Thought Johnson had a good game and also Scott Parker yet again!

Gerrard was great when he started going forward later in the game and should of scored but for a great save.

Danny Wellbeck's goal was supreme and indeed if it was Messi done that all would be wanking over it! impressed with Wellbeck he never stops trying and his close control is impressive.

Theo Walcott needs to be used as he was last night great sub by Hodgson didn't stand on ceremony about Milner and hauled him off after his mistake to introduce the pace we need that always scares teams and wins you games.

Edit...am i starting to sound like Lotusbluete?

Well done to Roy Hodgson for picking the correct team and changing it when needed.

England now have Rooney back and a great chance to win the group!!!!!!!! hows that for positiveness ;-)

Edited by MrRed
  • Like 1

Nice to beat the Swedes Smokie and England showed they had a bit of backbone last night which was impressive,Scotland are just crap,weak need and at the moment falling apart somewhere ;-)

Great to see Andy Carroll do what everybody say he is good at in the first half although he did tire in the second half i thought.

Ashley Young was very poor going forward last night and James Milner at fault for getting caught ball watching and giving the free kick away for there goal.

Thought Johnson had a good game and also Scott Parker yet again!

Gerrard was great when he started going forward later in the game and should of scored but for a great save.

Danny Wellbeck's goal was supreme and indeed if it was Messi done that all would be wanking over it! impressed with Wellbeck he never stops trying and his close control is impressive.

Theo Walcott needs to be used as he was last night great sub by Hodgson didn't stand on ceremony about Milner and hauled him off after his mistake to introduce the pace we need that always scares teams and wins you games.

Edit...am i starting to sound like Lotusbluete?

Well done to Roy Hodgson for picking the correct team and changing it when needed.

England now have Rooney back and a great chance to win the group!!!!!!!! hows that for positiveness ;-)

Agreed rooney will help, carroll 2 b benched? thought johnson had an outstanding game Dificult for young thought he looked isolated on the break when they pushed on and we broke quicker he came into his own, but his link up play needs working on and he needs to b pushed up, seems not 2 be not quite so effective when breaking and getting the ball deep. Any way thats a great 3 points and as nev said even at 2 -1 down felt we could still go and win.

We're gonna win the cup!!

No....wait.....huh.png

I'm waiting, hold on it's commiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnn yep you defo said 'well played' and 'entertaining stuff.'clap2.gif

now that wasnt dificult was it smokes , makes your 'inevitable I told u so, your crap ' post a LITTLE more credible.

Still not quite soberdrunk.gif but from what i remember it was typical England, scored a good goal then invited the opposition back into the game. Again Gerrard and Parker were good , but how does Milner get in ahead of Walcott ?

Actually am starting on a rant and for no reason, was a game of football that had everything, the good the bad and the ugly and the Thais at my local bar now know a new song.....Give me ST.George in my heart,keep me English biggrin.png

Amazing that we have had no sending's off... and no 0-0 draws in this tournament.

I think on the games so far the match officials have been very very good or have i spoke to soon?

Goalkeepers

Hart Green Butland

Defenders

Johnson G Cole Kelly Terry Baines Jones Lescott Jagielka

Midfielders

Gerrard Henderson Milner Parker Downing

Attacking Midfielders

Walcott Young Oxlade-Chamberlain

Strikers

Carroll Rooney Defoe Welbeck

Going from our squad and for the next game can see Hodgson starting with Downing(sigh)and Walcott on the flanks with Rooney and Wellback up front.

When you look at our weakness in depth compared to other squads it is all the more kudos to Hodgson for playing to his own beliefs and not the presses!

Maybe Carroll and Rooney should also be given a try?

Just for a moment I caught a glimpse of what might have been had my mother's train been delayed at Crewe.

Its Ok...the nightmare of delusion has passed...:D

In your dreams to be an Englishman!

Goalkeepers

Hart Green Butland

Defenders

Midfielders

Attacking Midfielders

Strikers

Going from our squad and for the next game can see Hodgson starting with Downing(sigh)and Walcott on the flanks with Rooney and Wellback up front.

When you look at our weakness in depth compared to other squads it is all the more kudos to Hodgson for playing to his own beliefs and not the presses!

I think its fair to say we're all impressed with the timing and choice of substition Royston made. Very good tactics.

So tell me MrRed, do you think Liverpool would have made top four if they had retained him? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Now that was entertaining! We're not a Spain or a Germany but then who is...

Well done Andy got us of to a great start and that is exactly what he can do but he needs the supply, which was finally provided with perfect deep cross from Gerrard (who is having a great tournament)

People have been a bit harsh on Milner he does what has to do which protect the RB and cover inside to add support to essentially a 2 man midfield in Parker and Gerrard and then get forward as and when and cross. However Walcott was a breath of fresh against a tiring Swedish side on the counter.

Awesome finish that was from Wellbeck, I was impressed with his general movement he covers the ground well - the finish reminded me of something his ManU team mate Hernadez would do.

We have the bonus of Rooney in the next games so there is more optimism and choices, question is there any reason why Rooney couldn't play on the left cutting in i.e as Young played last night? So we can still accommodate both Carroll and Welbeck in the side who would be hard done if one was dropped.I felt Young hasn't quite found his form in the tournament.

The biggest worry is both Parker and Gerrard are going to fade unless we rotate that midfield and will be interesting to see what Roy does against Ukraine. I felt Parker kept going forward too much and exposing us for the counter were we look worryingly slow in the CB positions - but Parker is vital to the team and his strength is to sit in front of the back four and block, tackle and pass it off.

Anyway well done Roy! got them looking somewhat like a team in a very short space of time and under some difficult circumstances... Quarter finals was already above my expectations to be honest, so anything more is a bonus ( no disrespect) Reaching the quarters is a strong possibility now and anything can happen in these tournaments when you reach that stage..

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

• Like 2

Goalkeepers

Hart Green Butland

Defenders

Midfielders

Attacking Midfielders

Strikers

I think its fair to say we're all impressed with the timing and choice of substition Royston made. Very good tactics.

So tell me MrRed, do you think Liverpool would have made top four if they had retained him? biggrin.png

Undoubtedly,he is synonymous with the Liverpool way...c'mon Carmine you know that stop playing games with me now :-)