England'S Official 2012 Euro Discussion Thread

mrbojangles

Now the group games are being played at the same time, i assume that means for those of us watching on Thai TV, they'll have one on Channel 3 and one on Channel 7. Channel 7 usually has dual soundtrack, so perhaps might get English commentary.

That said, i just tried to get match info from respective web sites but Channel 3 just says European Competition and Channel 7 doesn't indicate it is showing any games at all over the next few days. Weird.

http://www.livesocce...n-championship/

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now the group games are being played at the same time, i assume that means for those of us watching on Thai TV, they'll have one on Channel 3 and one on Channel 7. Channel 7 usually has dual soundtrack, so perhaps might get English commentary.

That said, i just tried to get match info from respective web sites but Channel 3 just says European Competition and Channel 7 doesn't indicate it is showing any games at all over the next few days. Weird.

http://www.livesocce...n-championship/

wai.gif

As an aside I thought it interesting that Sky had a record viewership of 4m in April this year for the Manchester derby. ITV showed the England v France match (free to air obviously) and it attracted 15m viewers.

yeah, more hype, it's as if anyone outside Manchester really gives a fuc !!!

A top of the table premiership clash holds interest nationally, and in large parts of the rest of the world too.

Don't burst his bubble mate,i was enjoying the normal southern softy bias against the best teams in England coming from the north or should we just start saying MANCHESTER!!

No no no no no not Manchester, Just say Leeds Utd and were about spot on.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

It's probably as much UK press asking them and then them commenting

Blame it on the UK press?

Journalists can only ask questions. They can't make anyone give a certain type of answer, nor can they stop people saying "no comment".

Well tabloids know full well that a 'the Germans say we're rubbish' story will always go down well' so they ask a particular question. Of course people could answer it differently or side-step it but I don't think they expect to be ambushed and have their 'comments' as a headline the next day and they probably also don't care.

It's like a conversation with a European player 'would you like to play in the Premier League' .. usual platitude of whichever country is interviewing them 'I'd love to, they have nice clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal' so next day "player X interested in Arsenal' with one line of quote out of context and voila, journalism :D

Just for Smokie so he doesn't feel left out...i have arranged for his participation!..

Football Association announce 2013 England-Scotland friendly

England will play Scotland at Wembley in a friendly to mark the Football Association's 150th anniversary.

The 'Auld Enemy' will meet on Wednesday 14 August 2013, the first match between the two sides since Scotland won a Euro 2000 second leg play-off 1-0.

The meeting is the oldest in international football, dating back to a match in Partick in November 1872.

England manager Roy Hodgson said: "It will be a huge honour to lead our nation out against our oldest rivals."

England v Scotland

Head to head

England wins - 45

Scotland wins - 41

Draws - 24

England and Scotland are international football's oldest opponents. They met in the first official match ever played, a 0-0 draw outside of Glasgow in front of a crowd of 4,000.

A total of 110 meetings have taken place, and Hodgson is enthusiastic about the 111th: "England versus Scotland is one of the finest fixtures in international football and I know what this game means to both sets of supporters.

"It will be a fitting part of The FA's 150th anniversary celebrations and the supporters, the team and my coaching staff all look forward to welcoming Scotland to Wembley Stadium next year."

Scotland boss Craig Levein is similarly keen: "For any Scotland supporter, player or coach, Scotland versus England is the ultimate contest: it really is as good as it gets.

"It will also be the best test possible before we resume our World Cup qualifying campaign next year."

The FA also announced intentions to schedule further high-profile fixtures to mark the anniversary.

They have also revealed a friendly against Italy to be played in Berne, Switzerland, on Wednesday 15 August, England's first match after Euro 2012. The last time England took on the Azzurri was in 2002, losing 2-1 at Elland Road to a Vincenzo Montella brace.

• Like 1

Well tabloids know full well that a 'the Germans say we're rubbish' story will always go down well' so they ask a particular question. Of course people could answer it differently or side-step it but I don't think they expect to be ambushed and have their 'comments' as a headline the next day and they probably also don't care.

The "they don't expect it" doesn't sound plausible to me, and the "they probably also don't care" makes me wonder why you attempt to shift the blame for what they say onto the press.

It's like a conversation with a European player 'would you like to play in the Premier League' .. usual platitude of whichever country is interviewing them 'I'd love to, they have nice clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal' so next day "player X interested in Arsenal' with one line of quote out of context and voila, journalism biggrin.png

Yeah but those stories are usually followed up a day or so later with player x signs for Arsenal. Footballing people, whether it be the players, the agents or whoever, are crap at keeping secrets and when the papers publish a story connecting a player with a club there is usually some substance.

Decent character shown so far by England

Am and remain a Hodgson-sceptic but in terms of team selections and subs hes done fairly well thus far. Not afraid to throw in younger players, did the right thing in playing Carroll against sweden and has made the right subs at the right times

tactics not suited to the wide men, they are struggling a bit but if we get a result against the Ukraine he may have achieved the accepted benchmark with this squad. Winning the group though could be important as Spain will be a lot tougher a proposition

forward players though in Carroll and Wellbeck have done well. Rooney will also hopefully add something to the mix. Cant afford to slack off but the main fear I had about a Roy side i.e. when going behind we chase the game with hoofing and lose, did not materialise at least against the Swedes. need to finish the job though in the groups against the ukraine and not make too many silly mistakes at the back

Edited by RichBKK

Decent character shown so far by England

Am and remain a Hodgson-sceptic but in terms of team selections and subs hes done fairly well thus far. Not afraid to throw in younger players, did the right thing in playing Carroll against sweden and has made the right subs at the right times

tactics not suited to the wide men, they are struggling a bit but if we get a result against the Ukraine he may have achieved the accepted benchmark with this squad. Winning the group though could be important as Spain will be a lot tougher a proposition

forward players though in Carroll and Wellbeck have done well. Rooney will also hopefully add something to the mix. Cant afford to slack off but the main fear I had about a Roy side i.e. when going behind we chase the game with hoofing and lose, did not materialise at least against the Swedes. need to finish the job though in the groups against the ukraine and not make too many silly mistakes at the back

As much as i wanted and enjoyed our win against the Swedes, i do wonder that now we only need a draw against Ukraine, whether we'll go in defensive and with an attitude of job done, and end up getting knocked out in a similar style as the Russians did.

As for Hodgson, never been under any illusions about him being a great manager, but have always rated him as decent and especially at getting the most out of average players..., but more than anything else, just loving having once again an English England manager who doesn't have to artificially manufacturer that feeling of national pride for the team, but has it naturally. If having an English England manager means less success, then so be it as far as i am concerned.

I'd like to see England start against ukraine with Rooney as sub. The team has done well without him, and in my opinion, if he'd been eligiible to play against Sweden, he'd have been in trouble with the referee, by reacting to all the unnecessary pushes, elbowing, and other niggling fouls that the Swedish team did.

I'd also drop Terry, he studiously avoided being anywhere near Ibrahimovic, in the Sweden game, so that he didn't have his limitations exposed. His passing has caused problems in both games so far, and he is a liability due to his lack of pace. At times it seemed that the other defenders, (Johnson in particular), were having to do his job for him.

I'd like to see England start against ukraine with Rooney as sub. The team has done well without him, and in my opinion, if he'd been eligiible to play against Sweden, he'd have been in trouble with the referee, by reacting to all the unnecessary pushes, elbowing, and other niggling fouls that the Swedish team did.

I'd also drop Terry, he studiously avoided being anywhere near Ibrahimovic, in the Sweden game, so that he didn't have his limitations exposed. His passing has caused problems in both games so far, and he is a liability due to his lack of pace. At times it seemed that the other defenders, (Johnson in particular), were having to do his job for him.

You''ll not get your wish probably, heard Walcott picked up an injury in training.

Edited by MB1

You''ll not get your wish probably, heard Walcott picked up an injury in training.

Rooney was going to start even if Wallcott is fit, he is a world class player and would be stupid to leave him out, he will be raring to go and i can see him scoring tonight.

I am more concerned about our back 4 coping with the Ukraine attack, Shevchenko will be a handful.

Edit just realized it is tomorrow night.

Good luck England tonight really looking forward to tonights game.

Edited by nev

It was said at the start that Schevchenko could not cope with a match every 4 days. He was not so effective against France. Also i saw something a couple of days ago sugggesting he might not be fit with a leg injury.

Having tempted fate, he'll now score a hat-trick!

beware the now non-ponytailed danger that is voronin.

i can't see ukraine scoring against england unless england do what they did against sweden, which is basically serve up two goals on a plate to your opponents. stay tight at the back and in midfield and england have enough attacking options to beat what is not a very strong ukraine side really. their biggest strong point is home advantage which england should have enough experience to get their heads around.

Rooney was going to start even if Wallcott is fit, he is a world class player and would be stupid to leave him out, he will be raring to go and i can see him scoring tonight.

I am more concerned about our back 4 coping with the Ukraine attack, Shevchenko will be a handful.

Depends on your definition of world class, (a much over used phrase in most cases).

If world class means one of the best 11 players in the world, then for the two forward positions, Rooney would certainly be behind Messi, and Van Persie (who scores more than Rooney and has played at a higher level, the World Cup final), there's also Suarez, Mario Gomez, Ibrahimovic etc.

Rooney is no doubt a very good Premier league player, but has he dominated a major Champions league final, or played a significant part for England in games that really matter ? That's world class, the ability to play at a high level in the majority of games, especially the ones that decide major tournaments.

Back to the topic, I hope England go into the Ukraine game with the attitude that they have to work to win. Too many times England have let themselves and their fans down, by thinking they've won before the game starts. I also hope we get a strong referee, I thought Sweden were playing to try and get an England player sent off, by continually doing nagging little pushes and elbows, which the referee should have clamped down on much harder than he did.

beware the now non-ponytailed danger that is voronin.

i can't see ukraine scoring against england unless england do what they did against sweden, which is basically serve up two goals on a plate to your opponents. stay tight at the back and in midfield and england have enough attacking options to beat what is not a very strong ukraine side really. their biggest strong point is home advantage which england should have enough experience to get their heads around.

With John Terry in defence, my wife's 80 year old mother would fancy her chances at scoring against England !

Depends on your definition of world class, (a much over used phrase in most cases).

If world class means one of the best 11 players in the world, then for the two forward positions, Rooney would certainly be behind Messi, and Van Persie (who scores more than Rooney and has played at a higher level, the World Cup final), there's also Suarez, Mario Gomez, Ibrahimovic etc.

Rooney is no doubt a very good Premier league player, but has he dominated a major Champions league final, or played a significant part for England in games that really matter ? That's world class, the ability to play at a high level in the majority of games, especially the ones that decide major tournaments.

Back to the topic, I hope England go into the Ukraine game with the attitude that they have to work to win. Too many times England have let themselves and their fans down, by thinking they've won before the game starts. I also hope we get a strong referee, I thought Sweden were playing to try and get an England player sent off, by continually doing nagging little pushes and elbows, which the referee should have clamped down on much harder than he did.

Ok you got me there maybe Rooney better off on the bench, and let our better players start, come on look at his record for Man United he is slowly creeping up as record goal scorer, and sadly one of the few world class players at united, maybe Nani and Vidic being the other two.

I don't think being world class necessary means having performed at every level. Many of those you mention still have gaps in their CV, and that even includes the world's best, Messi. I think what you are describing isn't what it takes to be considered world class, but what it takes to be considered an all time great.

Rooney isn't an all time great, not yet anyway, but he is without a shadow of a doubt, world class. He's English though. If his name was Roonia or Roonaldo i'm sure some people's perception would change.

So here's my two penny worth:

Hart

Jones Jagielka Lescott Cole

Milner Parker Gerrard Young

Wellbeck Rooney

I doubt Roy will change two defenders but he may do Jag for Terry. If he keeps him it will be for defence leadership, not performance

Even as a gooner I reckon, even if fit, Theo is an impact sub for me

Young only deserves a third chance cos his two teammates are fired up. The Dutch have taught us all a valuable lesson. Ox Cha art half time if he continues to be a dud.

So here's my two penny worth:

Hart

Jones Jagielka Lescott Cole

Milner Parker Gerrard Young

Wellbeck Rooney

I doubt Roy will change two defenders but he may do Jag for Terry. If he keeps him it will be for defence leadership, not performance

Even as a gooner I reckon, even if fit, Theo is an impact sub for me

Young only deserves a third chance cos his two teammates are fired up. The Dutch have taught us all a valuable lesson. Ox Cha art half time if he continues to be a dud.

why would you leave johnson out? he's played well.

The only player that should be left out is Rooney.

Keep him on the bench and give the lads that played well against Sweden another run.

Maybe give Downing a run out instead of Young and Jagielka instead of Terry,Parker could be rested as he busts a gut every game stick Jones in and give him a game.

The only player that should be left out is Rooney.

Keep him on the bench and give the lads that played well against Sweden another run.

Maybe give Downing a run out instead of Young and Jagielka instead of Terry,Parker could be rested as he busts a gut every game stick Jones in and give him a game.

To many changes may blow up in our face, only change for me would be Rooney for Milner, i think Carroll Rooney and Welbeck could all play together in the same team.

Same back four, then Parker Gerrard Young

Rooney Welbeck Carroll up front

i could see that line up causing all kinds of problems.