Prosecutor Indicts Thaksin In State Bank Loan Scandal

Lite Beer

"According to the AEC investigation, Mr Thaksin's son, Panthongtae Shinawatra was found guilty of embezzlement charges involving the bank loans, but he was not among the 27 persons indicted by OAG."

blink.pngsick.gif

Pray tell...what was the penalty? 'Dead silence' was the stern response!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Music to my ears. Love it !!! Suck it up big boy!!! cheesy.gif ' Mr Destroy an entire country for my own benefit'.

And we can see clearly there are people who aren't interested in reconciliation when it comes to the joker. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

An interesting story and ripe for conspiracy theories.

This falls nicely into the hands of the present Prime Minister, possible Defence Minister and notable absentee when reconciliation bills are discussed in parliament, and new court cases against Thaksin opened.

Although widely disregarded as an airhead, clone, puppet and only elected due to looks and being the sister of Thaksin, the PM has been quietly cultivating ties with the Army and eminent individuals, and waging a closet campaign for power within the PTP against the Chalerm faction who are ultra-loyal to her brother.

The new indictments may cloud the potential for a return of Thaksin, as any deliberations, hearings, appeals, and subsequent verdicts may take 3-4 years to complete the process, by which time another election is to be held, and one on which the current PM campaigns less on her closeness to her brother and more on her own popularity

Maybe an aptitude for guile runs in the family

Crobe

An interesting story and ripe for conspiracy theories.

This falls nicely into the hands of the present Prime Minister, possible Defence Minister and notable absentee when reconciliation bills are discussed in parliament, and new court cases against Thaksin opened.

Although widely disregarded as an airhead, clone, puppet and only elected due to looks and being the sister of Thaksin, the PM has been quietly cultivating ties with the Army and eminent individuals, and waging a closet campaign for power within the PTP against the Chalerm faction who are ultra-loyal to her brother.

The new indictments may cloud the potential for a return of Thaksin, as any deliberations, hearings, appeals, and subsequent verdicts may take 3-4 years to complete the process, by which time another election is to be held, and one on which the current PM campaigns less on her closeness to her brother and more on her own popularity

Maybe an aptitude for guile runs in the family

Crobe

Maybe an aptitude for guile runs in the family!rolleyes.gif

But an informed source said that if public prosecutors could not get key defendants such as Thaksin to face court, parts of the case relating to the ex-PM may be temporarily shelved.

Why on earth can't they convict him in abstentia???!!!!??? lol

Ah well, I know what to do if I'm ever charged with anything here . . . just don't turn up to face any charges and the case gets shelved indefinitely.

• Like 1

You know what, however much you loath the conduct of Thai politicians, you have just got to laugh, there is NEVER a dull moment. It is absolute frigging comedy. What will be even greater comedy will be waiting for the TV red apologists take on this. Time to get the popcorn and sit back. I simply can't waitclap2.gif

Don’t keep your hopes too high! It’s all in the NUM3RS!

What we got here is:

17 boxes containing 150 files of evidence = estimated time to evaluate each case 8 months

28 “influential persons” to be indicted for malfeasance and corruption = of whom 20 still are “influential persons” hence, unlikely to be touched as they hold an immunity status which has to be lifted in individual court rulings

Bt9.9 billion involved = the indicted should have enough tea money left to buy goodwill from those who did not profit from the previous harvest

Nine judges to consider the case = additional 8 months to come to a conclusion, file for criminal prosecution and a verdict…

If you do the math (Thai style) the outcome may well be 0 (Zero)

Does the Thai justice system (civil or criminal or both) allow for previous judgements to be made aware for the judge(s) to assist in establishing if the event did or was likely to take place?

If the system does cater for this situation, I would assume acquitting the named offender (and 27 others, who may or may not be linked to other tainted deals) would have an impact on the outcome of this case, simply by sheer momentum of the transfer of power back to T. Shinawatra? It would be interesting to see if they decide to mute previous judgements on an official level as to not affect the outcome of this case, acquit the accused of previous charges prior to the final judgement of this case (thus decreasing the chances he would be found guilty here) or uphold current charges, making it more likely that he would be found guilty.

This is Thai Politics, and considering we as foreigners are not allowed to take part at any level (god forbid if America had this policy combined with Thailand's permanent immigration polices), it does not bother me either way that things are handled. But it will be these background actions taken by the government and judicial system which will surely have a large impact in this case. We know that T. Shinawatra can and has attempted to influence individual cases in the past by political and financial influences.

You can bet you life savings that Khun T and his Team will be searching for an "exit clause" to what I can only imagine would be a terminal blow to the Gentleman's return to Thailand and future political career. If there is one, they will find it, if there isn't, they will probably invent one. My main worry is that this is some huge distraction for some other wheeze that is even more mind boggling, that is yet to be uncovered, or not as the case may be. Watch this space folks.sick.gif

The findings for the indictment came from investigations by the AEC, set up after the coup.

Under the proposed whitewash bill, all findings from organisations set up after the coup will be delared null and void.

Will this apply to this case even though it's been accepted by the prosecutors?

You know what, however much you loath the conduct of Thai politicians, you have just got to laugh, there is NEVER a dull moment. It is absolute frigging comedy. What will be even greater comedy will be waiting for the TV red apologists take on this. Time to get the popcorn and sit back. I simply can't waitclap2.gif

A few days ago I saw an interview with that warrior-for-justice called Nathawut. He said numerous times during that interview that THAKSIN NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG. He also said that everything negative what you hear and see about Thaksin is created by Abhisit and Suthep. They will fight until Thaksin has received justice!

Incredible people those RED leaders.

Edited by Nickymaster

This explains why PTP wanted to rush the "reconciliation" bills through Parliament

Exactly my thoughts too and perhaps there are even more of these indictments in the pipe line?

The other half, decidedly reddish in outlook is very quiet today after watching the morning news, but I raised this subject and Yongyuth anyway.

She doesn't want to talk about it, and seems to have gone out for the day (unusual).

Why so much hatred for Thaskin from the farangs when it is clear that the majority of Thai's love the guy. As a farang it is not our place to slag him off after all we are only guests. I for one think the guy was no worse than any other officials I have come across in the last 7 years !!!!!

Yingluck is waging a power campaign against Chalerm and the ultra-loyalist of her brother?

What have been smoking? I want some.

thumbsup.gif

TH

Edited by thaihome

How true. And what about the Yellow TV partisans. Baseball anyone?

And here we go again with the 'your either yellow or your red' stuff.

"According to the AEC investigation, Mr Thaksin's son, Panthongtae Shinawatra was found guilty of embezzlement charges involving the bank loans, but he was not among the 27 persons indicted by OAG."

blink.pngsick.gif

Pray tell...what was the penalty? 'Dead silence' was the stern response!

... mercedez benz boy ....

... rich boy who cut the girl in half...

... rich girl who had accident with mini van...

all gone very quiet

• Like 1

Why so much hatred for Thaskin from the farangs when it is clear that the majority of Thai's love the guy. As a farang it is not our place to slag him off after all we are only guests. I for one think the guy was no worse than any other officials I have come across in the last 7 years !!!!!

I missed the "Do you love Thaksin?" poll. Was it reported somewhere?

Is there some law stopping slagging off people from different countries that their own?

Which officials have you come across that are multi-billionaires?

Welcome to Thailand, you'll figure it out for yourself eventually.

• Like 1

Where have you been the last 8 years? Did you have free access to information?

Thaivisa = Asias biggest community forums for expats doing business, living in, working in and traveling to Thailand.

Do you think all the Thai people in your home country have no right to express an opinion on local politics? Even the ones who have been living and working there years, with families as well? Just because your home country might give those Thai people the right to vote, and Thailand does not reciprocate that "luxury" to most foreigners living here, doesn't mean those foreigners have no right to an opinion.

• Like 1

Why so much hatred for Thaskin from the farangs when it is clear that the majority of Thai's love the guy.

I don't think that is actually true. Lots of Thai people do love him. Over 50 percent. I don't believe that for a moment. It has been shown many times the vast majority of all Thai people don't identify as red OR yellow. Edited by Jingthing

The other half, decidedly reddish in outlook is very quiet today after watching the morning news, but I raised this subject and Yongyuth anyway.

She doesn't want to talk about it, and seems to have gone out for the day (unusual).

I wonder where she learned that tactic from.

I missed the "Do you love Thaksin?" poll. Was it reported somewhere?

Is there some law stopping slagging off people from different countries that their own?

Which officials have you come across that are multi-billionaires?

He's obviously friends with Berlusconi

Edited by SABloke
  • Like 1

Billions and billions not bad for someone starting out selling coffee at the Chiang Mai market, turned police man, turned politician.... I thought oz was the land of milk and honey... Seems not to be the case!

Try not to be too naive.

I, like tens of thousands of farangs, am resident here. Not a permanent resident, but resident nevertheless. We are required to report our residence every 90 days. If you are a tourist you may not understand that the majority of Thais do not love him. He is very popular with many northerners and Isaan people and huge numbers of the population of greater Bangkok like him.

His sister operates his government for him while he simmers in Dubai and other exotic locales.

This is not North Korea and this forum is used both by his supporters and those who do not like the man. It is called freedom of speech and thankfully it hasn't yet disappeared from this country.

But it would if Thaksin was back in control. Bear that in mind.

Maybe he'll order all anti Thamsin posters shot! Like his 2000 order to shoot "suspected" drug dealers which some were 80 year old grand mas! They were shot dead! Remember?

Try not to be too naive.

I, like tens of thousands of farangs, am resident here. Not a permanent resident, but resident nevertheless. We are required to report our residence every 90 days. If you are a tourist you may not understand that the majority of Thais do not love him. He is very popular with many northerners and Isaan people and huge numbers of the population of greater Bangkok like him.

His sister operates his government for him while he simmers in Dubai and other exotic locales.

This is not North Korea and this forum is used both by his supporters and those who do not like the man. It is called freedom of speech and thankfully it hasn't yet disappeared from this country.

But it would if Thaksin was back in control. Bear that in mind.

Maybe he'll order all anti Thamsin posters shot! Like his 2000 order to shoot "suspected" drug dealers which some were 80 year old grand mas! They were shot dead! Remember?

When we implement a policy that may bring 3,000 to 4,000 bodies, we will do it…

Chalerm Yoobamrung, February 2008, praising the Thaksin policy of extra-judicial killings of drug dealers

blink.pngsick.gif

That's one of the most interesting parts about this development.

Panthongthae's involvement was well documented with he and his bogus company receiving millions in this thaksin scam.

Many details of this and other aspects in the original thread

Thaksin To Face New Corruption Charge Over Improper Bank Loans

Edited by Buchholz