Expats In Thailand: Is Your Goal Here To "Integrate" Into Thai Society?

Jingthing

Poll  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Define integration ?

Going native and moving to the wilds of Isaan to shack up with 20 year old, flat nosed, splay toed rich farmers daughter ?.....building a farang mansion, moving the family in, financing them ?

If this is considered intergration....no bloody way

• Like 1

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don;t think everyone needs to be the same in a society.

I try to integrate into Thai society by doing my best to fit into the appropriate pigeon-hole. In my case, the 'farang' pigeon-hole.

I reckon I do a pretty good job; I pay the first price offered, if I'm happy with it, I nod and smile when people make jokes, whether at my expense or not, and I treat the peons around me with courtesy and respect.

I could make an arse of it, as one of our anuran members has done, but I prefer not to plunge to that level of immersion, since my own prejudices, opinions and standards would not allow it

SC

• Like 1

For those who say No, I wonder why they came to live in LOS in the first place?

Better to join the Fish and Chips/English Pub brigade in Spain?

Voted No because no way on this earth will Thais let us intergrate, surley you dont need to wonder why most came to live here, and coinsidently tend to be older males. Having visited Spain many times its no where anything like here. I doubt most English ex pats dine on fish and chips non stop, think you will find thats the tourist.

As a Pattaya resident its as much fish and chip resort as anywhere in Spain i visited. Oh and i can own land and work in Spain, so its more possible to intergrate there.

• Like 2

I have no desire to integrate (it is impossible anyway) and I refuse to wai at 7/11 check out girls, waitresses/bar girls and children.

I think I do the best I can to understand my position as a visitor in this country. I am respectful to my hosts (except where no respect is due) and will continue to provide a better life for my partner than she could ever have envisaged when she left school.

• Like 2

I voted yes to integrate. Having said that I do prefer to go to Thai bars and I have reasonable Thai language skills.

Respect earns respect and I cringe when I see some of the biased attitudes exhibited here by westerners to the locals.

Kinda reminds me of the song "One night in Bangkok" (Murray head 1984)

A farang may never integrate here fully, and a Thai may never integrate fully into a western country.

Integrate don't think it is possible. be excepted maybe. Live in a small village near the Lao land border. Everyone knows me, but I will always be the farang. Kids born in OZ raised here are locals, but to strangers always farang noi. . I will always be what I was brought up to be. Will always try and assimilate to the local customs, but my ways are not theirs . They may bury my bones in the local Wat, but the picture on the wall will be the first white man who came to live. Jim

• Like 1

I kind of feel like a gypsy. I move around from country to country but don't really belong anywhere. Matter of fact I never fit in when I lived in the states either(I'm not exactly joe avgwhistling.gif ).

I am content with being a strange farang.

• Like 2

I voted yes to integrate. Having said that I do prefer to go to Thai bars and I have reasonable Thai language skills.

Respect earns respect and I cringe when I see some of the biased attitudes exhibited here by westerners to the locals.

A farang may never integrate here fully, and a Thai may never integrate fully into a western country.

So if you speak reasonable Thai, you would also know the reverse is true.....biased attitudes exhibited by Thai's to the foreigners....whistling.gif

So you believe the sum total of intergaration is drinking in Thai bars and speaking reasonable Thai ?....giggle.gif

I would have to vote No, not because I don't want to, I would love to be able to. The fact is that no matter how long we are here, we will always be outsiders.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Totally agree here for me I just take the road of less resistance with Thai and try to limit my expat friends and I seem to get on very well so no not interested in the least in integrating here just enjoying my version of a good life here ..

I voted yes, because I do my best to integrate into Thai society on a general level, and I think that I've succeeded in that goal. That doesn't mean that I have to eat chicken feet, (and I don't!).

What is surprising to me (although not many have voted yet), are the number of people who have voted no. As others have said, <deleted> on you doing here if you have no interest in integrating into Thai society?

It actually reminds me of the criticism in the UK about immigrants who live in 'ghettos' and refuse to integrate into British society. (I accept that there are more opportunities to integrate in the UK - free language lessons, anti-discrimination laws etc)

Simon

Edited by simon43
  • Like 2

It actually reminds me of the criticism in the UK about immigrants who live in 'ghettos' and refuse to integrate into British society. (I accept that there are more opportunities to integrate in the UK - free language lessons, anti-discrimination laws etc)

Simon

Land and house ownership, citizenship, passports, etc.

• Like 1

I am not sure it is really possible in the main to integrate here, not with Thai society as it is and the way the laws of the land are. There is always that uncertainty too about what will happen next with visas, uncertainty about the legal system and what seems too often a lack of basic protection.

My feelings entirely.

So if you speak reasonable Thai, you would also know the reverse is true.....biased attitudes exhibited by Thai's to the foreigners....whistling.gif

So you believe the sum total of intergaration is drinking in Thai bars and speaking reasonable Thai ?....giggle.gif

Absolutely not.

I don't particularly like western bars, full of farangs exhibiting biased attitudes toward Thais and no I haven't been witness to any of my Thai friends exhibiting bias towards me.

I realize that I am not Thai, never will be but, try to assimilate (v.t. make similar,convert into like substance,absorb into the system)

This country may have its flaws, but if a wanted to live in a sterile homogenized society I wouldn't be here.

• Like 1

How can we integrate fully as even the process of becoming a Thai Citizen takes forever and ever and ever. And not to forget is also limited to a couple of 100's foreigners a year or so.

And whatever happens we will always be and stay "Farang"

Factually incorrect on all counts, apart from the farang bit.

Edited by Trembly

My goal has never been to integrate into society in Thailand. My goal has simply been to live a happy and normal existence.

This means I have integrated somewhat and have many Thai friends, I have always seen more similarities between the Thai and Western Culture than differences and I try to avoid the deplorable aspects of life here as I would back home.

So, have I integrated? Probably. Was that my goal? No.

• Like 1

Integrate into Thai culture? That takes it to a level above what I would like to achieve here, and that is to be accepted for who I am, without the difficulty of having to try to adapt to something I would never be fully part off. I have no problem with co-existing, been doing it all my life.

Truth be known, I would have problems intigrating back into my country of origin's culture at the minute. I have been travelling/living outside my home country since I was 16 yo, and my mind-set has changed so dramatically over the years that I think I would have problems accepting their points of view.