Kawasaki Vulcan Classic

sprog1

Hi, I'm just about to buy a new Kawasaki Vulcan Classic from the Kawasaki shop in Khorat, but before buying one, I would just like to get any thoughts from anyone who has one. I've been riding bike for a long time now, & i've been riding a Yamaha 1100cc dragstar for a couple of years, but the bikes 10yrs old now & I want something new & legal. I choose the Vucan because it's the only new cruiser that is in my price range. Is there anyone out there who has bought one, & if so, what do you think of it. I was a bit concerned about the plastic, does anyone know where I can buy replacement chrome parts from in Thailand, without going through the main dealer, because they are expensive. Thanks

I have a 2008 vulcan 900 custom with 30000 kms

To date i have had no problems with the bike

I have a cobra fuel management system installed

In regards to chrome parts.Difficult to find.

Ebay does have a few after market accessories,although,i feel there expensive.

Best tyres are Pirelli night dragon.

Not impressed with Dunlop.Poor handling and quick wearing.

Hi Aussie52, Thanks for your reply, ive been on the Kawasaki club owners site, there are a lot of places in America, I can buy after market parts, including chrome parts, but like everything else because of import duty, they are going to be expensive. I was hoping there was some place in Thailand I could get them from.

Did you buy your bike new? For some reason the Vulcan Classic doesn't seem very popular over here, I don't know why & I must admit it isn't my first choice of bike, but it's the only new cruiser in my price range, which offers a good back up service. If anyone knows of any others, please let me know. Thanks again Aussie

I have just sold mine after 15 months and 12000km. I loved it. But my work and lifestyle means I rarely get to use it these days so I decided it would be better with someone who would ride her.

In all the time I had her I never had a problem. She is a beautiful bike and very easy to own. You will not regret it a bit. You might get some sniffy remarks from Harley owners (I certainly did) but I was content in the knowledge that I spent less than half on a bike that I knew would start every time (No HD man can say that with hand on heart!!).

Enjoy.

I have just sold mine after 15 months and 12000km. I loved it. But my work and lifestyle means I rarely get to use it these days so I decided it would be better with someone who would ride her.

In all the time I had her I never had a problem. She is a beautiful bike and very easy to own. You will not regret it a bit. You might get some sniffy remarks from Harley owners (I certainly did) but I was content in the knowledge that I spent less than half on a bike that I knew would start every time (No HD man can say that with hand on heart!!).

Enjoy.

I woould take a vulcan over a harley any day of the week and i dont even like this segement of motorcycle .......

I guess they are no so popular in thai because its a bit expensive (by thai standards ) for a toy they will probably

only use for a couple of hours on sunday afternoons ....

with the ER6N at 249,000 i think the vulcan is a bit of a hard sell at 485,000 but of course they are worlds apart

I do know a policeman who rides a vulcan ,not sure if he bought it or confiscated it off someone though :)

Enjoy.

My HD Road King started every time and I never had a problem with it during 3 years of ownership, it was build for the long hauls and we used it for that, oh boy I miss it but due to change of life style (my boy) it had to go.

The new Harley touring models have a whopping 103" displacement engine and no matter what you say nothing beats the rumble and fell of a HD.

The Vulkan is a nice looking bike but it ain't a Harley.

Check below link about the world most traveled MC which off course is a Harley.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/forwood/index.shtml

Enjoy.

My HD Road King started every time and I never had a problem with it during 3 years of ownership, it was build for the long hauls and we used it for that, oh boy I miss it but due to change of life style (my boy) it had to go.

The new Harley touring models have a whopping 103" displacement engine and no matter what you say nothing beats the rumble and fell of a HD.

The Vulkan is a nice looking bike but it ain't a Harley.

Check below link about the world most traveled MC which off course is a Harley.

http://www.horizonsu...ood/index.shtml

i dont think thats a record TBH

I recall hearing of people clocking up higher milage on the honda dream /wave

I wrote most traveled MC, NOT highest milage, it looks like he has been in all the countries in the world on it, pretty cool.

Imagine spending 15 years of your life and on the same bike traveling the whole world, that is pretty unique in my book.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I know what you mean about getting funny comments from HD owners, I can't understand what all the fuss is about,they are way over priced, & yet the Thais are obsessed with them. Everyone I know with one have had problems with them, even new ones. I think from what you have said, & what i've seen, I think the classic Vulcan will do me nicely & as I have said before, it's in my price range.

Thanks again

@sprog1

Before I moved to Thailand, I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic. It was the best bike I have owned. It was a pleasure to ride and durable. Would I trade it for an HD? No way, and I had the opportunity to do it for free. When my younger brother passed away a couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to take one or all of the 3 HDs he had. They were essentially all new bikes with none having more than 50 miles on them. (Its a long story). I passed on all three. Were it not for the heavy marketing and living on its passed glory, HD would be just an average to slightly better than average bike. I had way less problems with my Vulcan than any of my friends had with their HDs. The only reason I haven't gotten a new Vulcan here is that I refuse to pay a 50+ percent premium over what the same bike would cost back home. In Austin, Texas, I could ride the same bike out of the dealership for under $10,000 US.

I think you are making a great choice with the Classic.

David

Thanks everyone for your comments, I know what you mean about getting funny comments from HD owners, I can't understand what all the fuss is about,they are way over priced, & yet the Thais are obsessed with them. Everyone I know with one have had problems with them, even new ones. I think from what you have said, & what i've seen, I think the classic Vulcan will do me nicely & as I have said before, it's in my price range.

Thanks again

As long as it put a smile on your face when riding it, that all that matters never mind what other thinks. I have never been hardcore HD and never will be, there are many good bikes out there. For me coming from Denmark HD's are cheap here.

My biggest bike right now is a PCX 150 and it too puts a smile on my face and at the gas pump too, but I will never attempt doing touring on it, but for what it is its bloody good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, Guzzi, I'm sure it's going to put a smile on my face. Genericnic, thanks, you have put my mind at rest. I'm sure i have made the right choice. Kawasaki is the only one of the big four I have not owned, i'm hoping to get some miles in Touring when I get time

I wrote most traveled MC, NOT highest milage, it looks like he has been in all the countries in the world on it, pretty cool.

Imagine spending 15 years of your life and on the same bike traveling the whole world, that is pretty unique in my book.

Here's some more pretty cool & pretty unique book stuff :)

A Virago Powered Airplane?

Another Virago Powered Airplane?

The Million Mile Man

XV-920 Sets Speed Record

http://www.viragoownersclub.org/fun/did-you-know

......And i think Vulcan is nice, an acquaintance was mighty proud of it

I'm thinking seriously about getting a new Vulcan Classic but there's one big stumbling block - the dealer in Chiang Mai won't let me test ride one. How do they expect me to lay out almost 500k for a bike without getting a chance to try it out? For er6's & the Versys I could just go rent one for the day but nobody rents Vulcans, at least not in Chiang Mai. Not sure what to do, I like to the look of the Vulcan & hear only good reports but I'd really like to ride it before I buy.

That is a very sound attitude.

I've seen choppers so backward built that you will inevitably burn your leg/foot.

In fact i think any test drive should be performed dressed in shorts & flip flops,

to get an accurate first impression.

My friend has been in this predicament for a year or two,

his current plan is to try the heat resistant band + jeans and see if he can stand it

Edited by poanoi

That is a very sound attitude.

I've seen choppers so backward built that you will inevitably burn your leg/foot.

In fact i think any test drive should be performed dressed in shorts & flip flops,

to get an accurate first impression.

My friend has been in this predicament for a year or two,

his current plan is to try the heat resistant band + jeans and see if he can stand it

I've got a Honda cruiser. I have to ride with shoes and socks on and my legs splayed out to avoid the warm bits. There's something Harleyesk about that! But I love riding it.

post-63954-0-22270000-1341187281_thumb.j

I ride my D-Tracker in shorts & sandals but I'd kind of already figured on a big cruiser I'd need jeans & shoes. Still, I've never heard complaints about heat & burns from Vulcan riders. Anyone?

I ride my D-Tracker in shorts & sandals but I'd kind of already figured on a big cruiser I'd need jeans & shoes. Still, I've never heard complaints about heat & burns from Vulcan riders. Anyone?

Never had a problem with mine. Neither did any passengers.

David

• 1 month later...

I have not been able to find after market parts in Thailand for my Custom 900.Not through lack of trying.

I am looking into bringing custom parts from Australia.

Thailand and Australia have an F.T.A.

Hoping to import parts free of duty.

I have not been able to find after market parts in Thailand for my Custom 900.Not through lack of trying.

I am looking into bringing custom parts from Australia.

Thailand and Australia have an F.T.A.

Hoping to import parts free of duty.

Be very careful! I just bought in 3 suitcases of personal stuff 'n' it cost me 21k baht door to Bangkok via sea/land. No duty was levied but there was a bit of tea money needed.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if the OP went ahead with his Vulcan Purchase but I have had one for the pas 3 years and its a great bike travelled the length of Thailand Chiang Mai to Trang and back then to Udon and back plus many of the loops and the bike performed flawlessly.

Nothing but good to say about the bike and I still have it.

DK

Not sure if the OP went ahead with his Vulcan Purchase but I have had one for the pas 3 years and its a great bike travelled the length of Thailand Chiang Mai to Trang and back then to Udon and back plus many of the loops and the bike performed flawlessly.

Nothing but good to say about the bike and I still have it.

DK

The new model which was pictured at the motor show was a lovely looking bike. I'd certainly consider one if I was going to buy that style of bike, all the reviews I've read have been positive.

Yeah.

If you want a nice and legal cruiser with some power, kawa vulcan is the choice but custom one.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I prefer the Classic which I have, I just can't get over that skinny front wheel on the custom but seems the custom is the more popular model but I still think the classic looks better :)

Hi, thought I would update you on my buying a Classic Vulcan. Yes I did buy one & i'm enjoying every minute of riding it. It's the first bike i've bought without testing it { I couldn't test it either } so I was worried, but I have had no regrets. I never had a cruiser until I had my dragstars, so everything is based on that. The power seems a bit down compared to the 11000 dragstar, but to be fair, i've only done 3,000klm aprox, & even though i've had it up to 140 it did feel that it would do more, but at my age thats fast enough now. It's a lot lighter than the dragstar, so for me it's a lot easier to handle in trafic, & I can get it right over on the bends, it's also less tireing on long runs. I haven't worked out the petrol consumpsion, but the tank is the same size & with the Yam I would fill up every 200klm, the Vulcan will do over 300klm before haveing to fill up, it also has a fuel gauge, which is nice. It only has single discs front & rear but it stops when you need to. Haven't had problem with burning my legs, but it gets a bit warm sometimes. I've added a Kawasaki screen, it's a bit pricey at 22,000 B, but on long runs, it is worth it, I don't get any neck ache. Did a 4 day tour last month around Mukdahan, up the Mekong & ended up at Khon khean bike party, not one problem which is more than I could say about the harley rider, but thats another story. If I had to buy again would I buy the Vulcan, the answer is yes, it's light, manoverable, economical, & looks good, what more can you want. Oh & it's 100% legal which is more than you can say about a lot of Harleys. Safe riding everyone

Yeah.

If you want a nice and legal cruiser with some power, kawa vulcan is the choice but custom one.

Once i reach 50, i will buy a cruiser!

I prefer the Classic which I have, I just can't get over that skinny front wheel on the custom but seems the custom is the more popular model but I still think the classic looks better :)

If you are living outside a big city and for touring, those bigger tires in classic makr sense.

The rest is matter of taste.

Edited by loserlazer

The Vulcan is nice - I like the blacked out version (Custom I think).

Hey all my sports bike friends like to trash HDs, yet my Thai friends love them. My conclusion is that HD is not a bike, it's a dream, a lifestyle. You know how all the Thais like to be Cowboys - the HD lets them be Cowboys. Not the real version, a much romanticized version. HD is born to be wild. Again, Thai friends who are actually younger than me love that song.... and their HDs... HD is not my style but I do understand the sentiment.

@sprog1

Before I moved to Thailand, I had a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic. It was the best bike I have owned. It was a pleasure to ride and durable. Would I trade it for an HD? No way, and I had the opportunity to do it for free. When my younger brother passed away a couple of years ago, I had the opportunity to take one or all of the 3 HDs he had. They were essentially all new bikes with none having more than 50 miles on them. (Its a long story). I passed on all three. Were it not for the heavy marketing and living on its passed glory, HD would be just an average to slightly better than average bike. I had way less problems with my Vulcan than any of my friends had with their HDs. The only reason I haven't gotten a new Vulcan here is that I refuse to pay a 50+ percent premium over what the same bike would cost back home. In Austin, Texas, I could ride the same bike out of the dealership for under $10,000 US.

I think you are making a great choice with the Classic.

David

Did you stop drinking beer because it's cheaper back home?