Koh Samui For Beginners, Need Some Tips

Just stay out of Chaweng and you avoid most of the backpackers.

Hahaha .. backpackers were the mainstay of Chaweng 30 years ago but since moved on to Koh Chang, Lao and more recently Myanmar. The things on Samui have changed rather dramatically. Since Chaweng is the nightlife hotspot of the island there still are many young people who hang around Ark Bar, Green Mango area but I would rather classify them as "Party Goers" or Yuppie Travelers. Most of Chaweng is build-up with rather expensive resorts that cater to all kinds of international travelers: families, couples including honeymooners, even groups from Hong Kong and China. There are some nice villas around this area as well that usually are let to families or groups of friends. Chaweng is also where most of the shopping is including Big C, Tesco, Home Pro and Makro stores.

If you are after an inexpensive, quiet place that is right on the beach you may want to try Bang Por beach. Try to find directions to Koh Samui Resort, continue right across it to the end of the unsealed road and stay at the small resort there. I forgot the name of it but it is a piece of Paradise on the budget. And you'll be (potentially) in good company having expensive Napasai Villa Resort near by and David's Backham house on the hill right above that place. You'll need a scooter to drive around and explore the area that is a bid of a secret on Samui. Who knows, maybe you'll find a "lost" fishing village somewhere as well.

• Like 1

"500b hotel and a colorful little fishing town where we can walk and relax"

Try ( not sure on spelling ) Khao sok.

it is situated between Surathani and pHangna about 70 square kilmolers of lake with floating huts as hotels.

it is for the hard core fisherman. a couple of nights there and you would have done something different.

i would suggest ketting a hotel right on the other side of the lake away from all the tourists and noise if u like fishing.

and avoid thai holidays the Thais go down for thai holidays and make nothing but noise and really piss you off.

as for samui. it is a big place now.

not could try srarchai in between hua thanon and lamui. on the beach bunglows resurants in walking distance.

think not too expensive if low season.

u can walk out on the rock out side the resort and cat your rode they also have a resort kayak for expoloring

My friend took this picture 3 days ago, in front of Shangrilah Bungalow, Mae Nam. You can always find yourself alone during this time a year, for hours! Very relaxing, dont get burned!

29g1s86.jpg

Edited by viewpoint
  • Like 1

My friend took this picture 3 days ago, in front of Shangrilah Bungalow, Mae Nam. You can always find yourself alone during this time a year, for hours! Very relaxing, dont get burned!

29g1s86.jpg

Noe's Ark might have trouble fitting 2 of each animalon his or her boat