I Want To Give Up My Us Citizenship

Money or time spent. In Hong Kong, 7 years gets you PR status and a passport.

NOT as easy as you make it sounds, methinks. PR, perhaps -- but not passport. And if you object to US policies for political reasons, you're not likely to feel warm and fuzzy about the PRC.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion is you just leave your passport at the guesthouse and just tell everybody at the local pub that you renounced your citizenship for this and that reason and so on. Yay! That way you get the kudos, high fives and maybe even a beer and when you change your mind or get in trouble you can always pull that passport back out.

• Like 1

Actually you will pay a lot more than a fee if you expatriate. You will be taxed on all your assets at the time you renounce your citizenship. They are trying to reduce the number of people doing this for tax reasons.

Also the US taxes you based on residency not just citizenship. I am a UK citizen with a green card (i.e. permanent residency status) and I have to pay US taxes on money no matter where it is earned and no matter where I am living. No other western country does this.

I don't think the overall tax rates are the problem. It's the idea that if you live and work in Thailand you still pay US taxes. As far as I know the US is the only western country with this arrangement. As a Brit living and working in Thailand I don't pay any UK taxes, if I was American I would be liable to pay US taxes regardless.

Absolutely not the only country. Ask my Norweigan friends who are selling their condo here because of concerns the government will find and and nail them for taxes and penalties for not reporting the investment. As a Brit, you can only go home for less than 30 days per year if you don't want to pay taxes.

Q3. In what circumstances would I become non-resident?

A3.
Normally if you
leave
the UK to work abroad full-time, you will become not resident and not ordinarily resident in the UK if:
  • your absence and employment from the UK covers a complete tax year (that is 6 April to 5 April)
  • you spend less than 183 days in the UK during the tax year
  • your visits to the UK do not average 91 days or more a tax year over a maximum of four years

Well I feel for the OP, he is obviously angry and frustrated with America , but you are in no position to renounce anything just yet unfortunatly for you. And won't that be a good thing when the economy starts booming again and whatever bunch of jokers you like get into office and all is well.

You make it sound like it's worse than the great depression or the vietnam war days or gas rations and carter intlation , the reality is that economic booms like the industrial revolution or the computer revolution are the exceptions to the rule not the normal course of events. It just seems like it should be that way to you because you are young and don't remember what Carter inflation was like or the other things.

The reality is that the world and America suck wind more often than not and thats just life , renouncing your citizenship won't change that , learning to cope in the big mean unfortanute ball of confusion we call earth won't change it either but at least you can enjoy yourself while it spins a little more out of control each day ..... or not

Wait for a serious problem like a super volcano blasting ash so high you can't see daylight , or the next world war , how about an airborn virus worse then AIDS ? Don't worry something is bound to come along way worse than whatever has you upset today. It's inevatable that humankind becomes less sensible every 100 years. Why ? Because the most capable have 1.2 children , and the least capable have 4.2 ..... meaning that the people in the world who need the most help and are the least capable of solving things are growing at more than 2 times the rate of the others.

Sorry to say but it's downhill from here ! :)

I don't recall seeing a link to this before, and to be honest can't be bothered to look.

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship: A Web Guide

Perhaps the most important piece of information on that site is on this page

Renunciation of U.S. citizenship is final and irrevocable. You lose citizenship for the rest of your lifetime.

I found the site on page one of a Google search, and cannot comment on the accuracy or otherwise of the information contained therein.

Edited by 7by7

I don't recall seeing a link to this before, and to be honest can't be bothered to look.

Renunciation of U.S. Citizenship: A Web Guide

I found it with one Google search, and cannot comment on the accuracy or otherwise of the information contained therein.

There you go OP, let us know how it all works out for you. I guess you'll need that 450 bucks first.

Actually you will pay a lot more than a fee if you expatriate. You will be taxed on all your assets at the time you renounce your citizenship. They are trying to reduce the number of people doing this for tax reasons.

Also the US taxes you based on residency not just citizenship. I am a UK citizen with a green card (i.e. permanent residency status) and I have to pay US taxes on money no matter where it is earned and no matter where I am living. No other western country does this.

Actually an exit tax from the US is levied only on expats with a net worth of over 2 million

True what you say about paying taxes income taxes worldwide though sad.png

Renunciation of U.S. citizenship is final and irrevocable. You lose citizenship for the rest of your lifetime.

I have also read that on a few sites

Edited by flying

The truth about this, from a US citizen who knows (or thinks he knows) what he is talking about... there are good aspects of being an American. One is jobs. You can live in a rat hole apt, have even a modest job, each VERY cheaply, and save a bunch every month that will go a long way in many other countries. This would apply to any children you have as well of course.... good public education followed by the ability to earn some decent income. Of course jobs are harder to come by now, but I think the point holds true.

The other positive is the passport. LOL. Anyway, others have already pointed out all its strong points.

I don't think you've really thought this through, have you?

I don't need a US passport. It's of no value for me except to travel on.

My citizenship status might become a tax liability in the future so I think I should start to cut my ties now.

I'm planning an extended dating trip to Canada and/or Australia with the intent on finding a wife who can sponsor me. If you know any Canadian or Australian ladies(doesn't matter how ugly) looking for an american man let me know. giggle.gif

You've already stated that you've got a Thai wife and child, so if you get yourself an additional wife in Canada or Australia either of those countries will be pleased to make you a resident - in one of their prisons as a bigamist. Best advice I can give is lay off the 'sauce'.

as opposed to us who use our passport to swat flies with.biggrin.png

i have admit thou, a good thread for a slow day

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

I will be interested to see the replies on this one Chops. Is it for tax reasons?

Do you have Thai citizenship? If not, who would you be a citizen of then?

I think you are very brave, personally I couldnt give up my citizenship for anyone but then I dont have to lodge tax returns to a country that I dont frequent!

No. I just don't want to be a US citizen any longer.

I only wish to have one item: a passport that I can use to travel most of the globe without much hassle.

Then travel... but you give it up dude.....your will surely regret it...

I know I think about it all the time...because the crap that goes on angers me...but nothing like what is going on in my life right now. After 5 years....I am leaving this place my target is a US city..near you. I am now in Hate Mod

I can't advise you I think... I am Dutch, I sure have some complains about my country as you might have about yours. But our Passports are not the worst in the world. Just "use" it and live outside.. I just signed out from my goverment but I know in the USA it don't work like that...

If you are renouncing, I thought there was an effective 'exit tax' for those who do.

If you have assets over US$ 1 million, you may have to pay 38% "exit" tax on wealth.

A lot of US citizens married to and living in foreign nations, are giving up citizenship because of the new IRS reporting requirements. Even your spouse's income has to be declared on some form even if held totally separately. What a violation of personal economic rights.

Ain't gonna happen. Stop dreaming.

It's gonna happen. It's just a matter of time. I think I can have it completed within 5-10 years if I hurry.

The way I see it, my freedom is threatened by an increasingly fascist and controlling government. I'm trying to get out now before it is too late. And I'm certainly not the only American trying to do it.

Not having a US citizenship can be a benefit if you change your name to something Hispanic. Then do as many others have done, and you'll get all sorts of benefits in "sanctuary" cities.

My ex was previously married to a long time US citizen Hispanic, she was Norwegian extract, and we got all sorts of "benefit" literature in Spanish. You got to love the US.

Just go to the Embassy....fill out the forms, pay the money but pray you never end up arrested in Thailand

Rule #1, get that second passport first. Get Visa to Thailand second.

I will be interested to see the replies on this one Chops. Is it for tax reasons?

Do you have Thai citizenship? If not, who would you be a citizen of then?

I think you are very brave, personally I couldnt give up my citizenship for anyone but then I dont have to lodge tax returns to a country that I dont frequent!

No. I just don't want to be a US citizen any longer.

I only wish to have one item: a passport that I can use to travel most of the globe without much hassle.

Perhaps you are not aware that you need to be a citizen of some country in order to have their passport.

Best answer in the whole thread.

clap2.gif

TH

I fully concur. Sounds to me like some idealogical fancy that's only going to matter to the OP and no one else. Actually I'm betting when push comes to shove, this guy's never giving up his US citizenship. Maybe he should run away and join the circus instead.

My citizenship status might become a tax liability in the future so I think I should start to cut my ties now.

I'm planning an extended dating trip to Canada and/or Australia with the intent on finding a wife who can sponsor me. If you know any Canadian or Australian ladies(doesn't matter how ugly) looking for an american man let me know. giggle.gif

If these women are looking for an "American" man, why would they want you?

Ain't gonna happen. Stop dreaming.

It's gonna happen. It's just a matter of time. I think I can have it completed within 5-10 years if I hurry.

The way I see it, my freedom is threatened by an increasingly fascist and controlling government. I'm trying to get out now before it is too late. And I'm certainly not the only American trying to do it.

Are you really that naive?? While America has it's faults ... don't we all .... it is very, very far from being "fascist." Try living in North Korea and then you'll see what fascism is all about. If the American government was truly fascist you'd be dead soon from simply posting what you have here.

I had a friend that during the Vietnam War renounced his US citizenship in protest. However, a few years later .... with some maturing .... he greatly regretted his renunciation, and that he could no longer enter the US and see his family and friends. He regretted this for the rest of his life.

So, good luck with that renunciation thing .... you're gonna need it.

Edited by HerbalEd

While I live mostly in Thailand, I still have to pay for my house in US, plus gas heat so the water pipes don't freeze in winter, plus other home expenses. I do this so I have a place to stay when I'm in US. I guess the US government feels the same way about me paying taxes .... so that I pay my fair share of maintaining the country that I want to eventually return to.

Yeah, yeah ... I'm fully aware that way to much tax money is wasted and spent on the war machine, but never the less, the tax-supported fire department will rush to my home in case of fire, the roads will be maintained for my eventual use, etc., etc., etc.

Maybe I can hook you up with my ex-wife in Canada ... that would reduce my support payments whistling.gif