Should I Tell Them I'm A Yank?

thaibebop

I have noticed some poking fun at us yanks on this forum and I know a lot of it is just joking. However I got to thinking about it and wondered if there are some people in Thailand who would rather not be friendly with a Yank. I am not posting this to start any @%^$, just wondering. I have joked with one of my friends that when I move to Thailand if I want Thai friends I will need to speak Thai and if I want any other friends I should speak with a British accent. So, really I am curious if I really will encounter such a person?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say you're Canadian! :o

Seriously, you shouldn't have a problem. Complete generalisation, but to many Thais you're simply "farang". I've encountered zero prejudice from Thais as to where exactly people come from.

If it's expats or tourists you're worried about, those who hold silly prejudices are simply not worth knowing in the first place...

It's all a wind up Thaibebop, nothing serious. Be proud that you're a stinking, stupid, smelly, dirty, ignorant yank! :o:D

And before someone DOES think I'm serious...I'm not. I have nothing against Americans, always found them to be good guys/gals.

Should be ok but resist wearing a Canadian flag... gawd that's so annoying (even when Canucks do it) :D Generalisations aside, most people who travel overseas are well rounded, having the benefit of a more fair and balanced view. Contrary to the wrong impression one might get from faux, erm, fox news, Americans are no exception and contrary to what we read in Brit tabloids, they're not all hooligans and lager louts. Canadians? Well, as long as we don't have a hockey stick in our hands, we're ok too :o:D

maybe you could take this as an opportunity to raise the reputation of your fellow yanks... :o

Naaa...seriously, the way I see it it's all just wind-up and why not, how often do I get addressed with a friendly "heil Hitler" when others (mostly Yanks, actually) find out that I am German. I take that with humour and usually top it with some Yank bashing in revenge.

Thais love Americans, after all Tata Young's father is one. Yank? Well. that's a New York City baseball player. Everyone outside of New York state hates them. Of course, America actually covers two continents. Now I don't know what I am? :o

It's a waste of time hiding the fact that you are a Yank.

You will be easily identified as an American each morning when you line up outside the hotel's manager's office with all the other whinging Yanks, complaining about your air conditioning not being cold enough or your three minute eggs only being cooked for two and a half minutes.

You will be easily identified as an American because you will have the loudest mouth in your group and you will be bragging the most about how you single handedly won the war, or how you took on seven karate fighters at the same time and thrashed them into submission with just three punches and two kicks.

You will be easily identified as an American because you will be wearing stars and stripes underwear with matching sox.

You will be easily identified as an American at the breakfast table because you will be filling your face with pancakes dripping in maple syrup, scoffing down hot cakes, hot dogs and multi-cups of hot Karfee, not to mention your undercooked three minute eggs. (Ooops, i've already mentioned them.)

Just remember you are a Yankee Doodle Dandy and you can't change....and if ever you think you can sink a few beers and stay up to speed with an Aussie beer drinker, I'd love to shout you a couple of ales, slap you on the back and enjoy your company.....until you collapse in a drunken heap leaving us Aussies to carry on drinking alone.

(Why is it Yanks always seem to collapse when it's their shout?) :o

Been a Canadian, I am regulary taken as an American, and once I let them know I am Canadian, (I generally tell them I live next door) They (Austalians are the worst) start hitting on how terrible the Yanks are. I have one standard response. Have you ever met an American? If yes, was he/she nice, friendly, well mannered? Once they answer and it is always "yes" I say the American people I know are really nice too, it's the govnment that's wrong.

You will be easily identified as an American each morning when you line up outside the hotel's manager's office with all the other whinging Yanks, complaining about your air conditioning not being cold enough or your three minute eggs only being cooked for two and a half minutes.

You will be easily identified as an American because you will have the loudest mouth in your group and you will be bragging the most about how you single handedly won the war, or how you took on seven karate fighters at the same time and thrashed them into submission with just three punches and two kicks.

You will be easily identified as an American because you will be wearing stars and stripes underwear with matching sox.

You will be easily identified as an American at the breakfast table because you will be filling your face with pancakes dripping in maple syrup, scoffing down hot cakes, hot dogs and multi-cups of hot Karfee, not to mention your undercooked three minute eggs. (Ooops, i've already mentioned them.)

Just remember you are a Yankee Doodle Dandy and you can't change....and if ever you think you can sink a few beers and stay up to speed with an Aussie beer drinker, I'd love to shout you a couple of ales, slap you on the back and enjoy your company.....until you collapse in a drunken heap leaving us Aussies to carry on drinking alone.

Nice to see your'e such an open minded fellow. I am guessing you would be one of those people that insight mentioned.

If it's expats or tourists you're worried about, those who hold silly prejudices are simply not worth knowing in the first place..

:D

I travel all over the place and Thailand is the best place to go as far as being accepted for who you are. It's all good :Dand what the heck is a wan#er anyway

same as a tosser. :D

Ok thanks it's clear as mud now :o

Where have you been? :D

<deleted> is another way of saying that somebody interfers with themselves. :D

When someone asks me where I'm from my first response is I'm from Chiangmai. When they further query to what country then of course I tell them I'm from the US. Don't see the issue at all. I have good friends that are Brits, Aussies, Russian, etc. and of course we sometimes take shots at each other but all in good fun.

The only time I had an issue saying where I was from was at an International conference in nuclear energy at our facility. During a break I sat down with a couple of the participants and we struck up a casual conversation. When I asked them where they were from, one said Cuba and the other said Iran. :o I sheepishly told them I was from the US and things got kind of quiet after that. :D

Been a Canadian, I am regulary taken as an American, and once I let them know I am Canadian, (I generally tell them I live next door) They (Austalians are the worst) start hitting on how terrible the Yanks are. I have one standard response. Have you ever met an American? If yes, was he/she nice, friendly, well mannered? Once they answer and it is always "yes" I say the American people I know are really nice too, it's the govnment that's wrong.

I did meet a nice quiet Yank once, he was not at all obnoxious or glaringly patriotic, very quiet and unassuming fellow.....of course I was alone in a cemetery at the time... :o

Serious now....Most places and people will take you as they find you...If you do come across someone who stereotypes you because of your nationality then you can either try to change their views or just walk away.

BTW.....Yank bashing has been an Aussie pasttime since the Battle of Brisbane....and since then has evolved into a similar love hate relationship that we have the Poms.....the difference is, is that the Poms slag us back :D:D:D

Edited by gburns57au

You know, it's good to call yourself a Canadian as we all recognize they are morally superior to Americans in every way! Just ask 'em.

We could learn a lot about hating America from them, which shows they have a very, very advanced society. :o

YOU ARE A YANKKK!!!!! :o

I don´t care...you are thaibebop...my dear thaibebop...

I have nothing against yankis but rather to any comment that i don´t like...i don´t care if is commig from a yank, canadian, french,spanish...

Edited by Glauka

You will easily be identified as either American or Canadian because no one can tell us apart without a passport unless we are from the deep South or we say "ehhh?" a lot. :o

As long as you're not raving on about how good the USA's foreign policy is, anyone who has a problem with you is the one with the problem and should be avoided at all costs. These people tend to be militant tw£ts dressed up as hippies on a moralistic trip. Ignore them. :o

BTW.....Yank bashing has been an Aussie pasttime since the Battle of Brisbane....and since then has evolved into a similar love hate relationship that we have the Poms.....the difference is, is that the Poms slag us back :o:D:D

We generally save our "slagging" for countries that have a higher GNP than the State of California. :D

BTW.....Yank bashing has been an Aussie pasttime since the Battle of Brisbane....and since then has evolved into a similar love hate relationship that we have the Poms.....the difference is, is that the Poms slag us back :D:D:D

We generally save our "slagging" for countries that have a higher GNP than the State of California. :D

Now thats funny :D:D

TBebob , do us a favor , don't tell them . :o

I have noticed some poking fun at us yanks on this forum and I know a lot of it is just joking. However I got to thinking about it and wondered if there are some people in Thailand who would rather not be friendly with a Yank. I am not posting this to start any @%^$, just wondering. I have joked with one of my friends that when I move to Thailand if I want Thai friends I will need to speak Thai and if I want any other friends I should speak with a British accent. So, really I am curious if I really will encounter such a person?

Of course you will encounter folks who have a negative opinion of Americans. Let me tell you, I've been spending too much time at the American embassy lately (family visa and passport matters) and every time I go I'm reminded why we're stereotyped in much of the world as obnoxious, ignorant, self-centered asses... all sorts of sketchy looking characters in there ranting and raving at high volume about how slow the process is and how they need immediate attention, acting as though the poor overworked sods behind the window are their personal valets and should be concerned only with satisfying their every whim... and it's usually because they've gone and done something foolish like lost their passport or shown up on the wrong date for their appointment, to boot.

Most fellow patrons at a pub will have a good natured go at you for being American - granted the abuse has gotten a lot worse with the current administration - but generally speaking, people don't really dislike Americans, they just find us rather amusing in certain ways. There's also a certain element of resentment for our government's recent, shall we say, absence of diplomacy in the foreign policy department.

Then there's the fact that many music, fashion, and technology trends are started in the States, which contributes to a love/hate relationship between us and the rest of the world.

None of that stops people from coming from all over the world, including those that consider themselves culturally superior, and living in the United States.... hey, the country that gave the world Britney Spears can't be all bad, can it? :o